Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
So if you like Z-Nation you might like Blood Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love Blood Drive. I feel like it's going to end up being better than it should be.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm on ep 4 of season 2 (plant zombies) and of course this show had to do ZOMBIES ON WEED.

The first half of season 1 was fun but pretty standard, then second half it started getting bonkers and it's only improved. Does the quality keep up?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

I'm on ep 4 of season 2 (plant zombies) and of course this show had to do ZOMBIES ON WEED.

The first half of season 1 was fun but pretty standard, then second half it started getting bonkers and it's only improved. Does the quality keep up?

It's sort of hit or miss overall but there's lots of fun in the second half like even more Murphy rear end in a top hat moments.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you've liked it so far just ride that zombie train all the way to the current season this show is what the walking dead wishes it could be.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

wormil posted:

I love Blood Drive. I feel like it's going to end up being better than it should be.

Blood Drive is the stupidest goddamn thing but God help me, I love it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I love it that the secret to communicating with zombies is to be stoned / tripping.

Like, this show really reminds me of Ash vs. Evil Dead which honestly is a bit better, but this is still really fun. A lot of the times you think it's going really off the rails (like with the Rozwell alien ep) it ends up coming back down to earth.

I think part of where Ash is better for me is it's a smaller core team, so you get more characterization. Z has more main characters on the crew and they die and get replaced pretty often so I don't really like how most of them get minimal characterization or background.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 26, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
As someone who grew up on a reservation, that Native American-themed episode was really loving good. The attitude of Red Hawk (?) the angry white man resenting son, is very real and shared by a good number of tribal members I know. They hit most of the touchstones of authentic Plains and SW Indian culture: fierce defense of their land, horses, drums, etc without being lovely about it. The buffalo hunt was cool as gently caress.

Also, the song where they're lighting the fires is a techno version of traditional drumsong, it's legit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1EAHaOsMvY

I was really happy to see a respectful and fairly authentic treatment of Native Americans because it's almost always a terrible stereotype.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In Season 3 you will get a few more episodes based on just one or two characters as they get split up, however unlike WD most of the cast (imho) are likeable/entertaining characters and you don't end up getting the Zombie equivalent of 'Lisa episodes' where you have to watch Morgan mope around for 40 minutes.

Edit: the season 3 premiere is also really cool, I loved that one

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 26, 2017

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I love it that the secret to communicating with zombies is to be stoned / tripping.

Like, this show really reminds me of Ash vs. Evil Dead which honestly is a bit better, but this is still really fun. A lot of the times you think it's going really off the rails (like with the Rozwell alien ep) it ends up coming back down to earth.

I think part of where Ash is better for me is it's a smaller core team, so you get more characterization. Z has more main characters on the crew and they die and get replaced pretty often so I don't really like how most of them get minimal characterization or background.
I'm not really sure where you're getting that they kill off main characters pretty often? So far there have only been 2 major deaths and 2 ancillaries killed off.
Now heaven help you if you're a guest star...

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Stairs posted:

I'm not really sure where you're getting that they kill off main characters pretty often? So far there have only been 2 major deaths and 2 ancillaries killed off.
Now heaven help you if you're a guest star...

I think the guest stars know what they're in for, but they all seem to fit in with the main cast. They all seem to realize it's just a cheesy rear end zombie show and they roll with it.

The best part for me though is that it shows the passage of time. They get new guns, different cars, change clothes, and reference adventures that happened off screen. Makes the whole thing seem lived in.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I want to see a spin off, "Adventures of The Man". One episode he loses his flip flops and god help anyone who gets in his way trying to retrieve them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

NonzeroCircle posted:

I want to see a spin off, "Adventures of The Man". One episode he loses his flip flops and god help anyone who gets in his way trying to retrieve them.

I want to see The Man become part of the group like El Scorpion did. He's an uptight rear end in a top hat and seeing the rest of the group bounce off of him would be fun. Like an anti-Murphy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Blood Drive is the stupidest goddamn thing but God help me, I love it.

It gets points for having anal deus ex machina in the pilot episode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Error 404 posted:

I want to see The Man become part of the group like El Scorpion did. He's an uptight rear end in a top hat and seeing the rest of the group bounce off of him would be fun. Like an anti-Murphy.

Yes, but he lasts longer than El Scorpion. RIP

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

etalian posted:

It gets points for having anal deus ex machina in the pilot episode.

Anal Sex Machina, gawd.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes, but he lasts longer than El Scorpion. RIP

He's not dead dude.
The end of his episode he literally opened his eyes. He will be back, El Scorpioning up the place right quick like.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Stairs posted:

He's not dead dude.
The end of his episode he literally opened his eyes. He will be back, El Scorpioning up the place right quick like.

Well yeah but I don't want him to back as a villain and not a cool part of the hero group.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Man did nothing wrong

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I find myself skipping through a lot of season 3 episodes. The Man is a badass but the overall plot with Murphy in Spokane and Zona stuff isn't going anywhere it's been a lot of goofy random episodes which are alright.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't get the preoccupation with The Man. He's cool but right off the bat people were amped about him more than warranted.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Doc Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest will forever be my favourite from the season. I think The Man has potential, he could have been fairly one dimensional after the premiere but his interactions with Lucy becoming more parental were pretty entertaining.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

wormil posted:

I don't get the preoccupation with The Man. He's cool but right off the bat people were amped about him more than warranted.

I thought he sucked the first couple times we saw him.
Him sneaking into spokane and the episode with lucy grew on me, and now he's not really a favorite but he has potential.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finished season 3, it picked up the last few episodes and that was fun. They left themselves a bunch of cliffhangers, they could do basically anything next season.

Started Blood Drive on the thread's recommendation and it's great.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

It's quite a feat to make this show any cooler. But it can be done - by adding Henry motherfuckin' Rollins :swoon:

https://twitter.com/znation/status/889274024349417473

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Michael Berryman? For some reason I thought he was dead, glad I was mistaken.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Oh gently caress that rules

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bou posted:

It's quite a feat to make this show any cooler. But it can be done - by adding Henry motherfuckin' Rollins :swoon:

https://twitter.com/znation/status/889274024349417473

Holy gently caress yes!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

steinrokkan posted:

Michael Berryman? For some reason I thought he was dead, glad I was mistaken.

Same here and I'm glad to be proven wrong.

Also Rollins? Get in the van!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Z NATION - Season 4 Premieres Friday, September 29 at 9/8c

Z NATION follows a team of everyday heroes, led by Lieutenant Warren (Kellita Smith), during their epic struggle to save humanity. Season 4 begins with a mind-bending jump in time. Murphy and Warren find themselves alive in Zona, the zombie free playground for billionaires. Meanwhile, the rest of our heroes are fighting alongside the last of the humans against the mutated Zombie Virus and the unkillable “MAD-Z’s.” Warren’s mysterious dream of a black rainbow and flesh-eating black rain propels the season forward and puts our heroes in the middle of an even worse Zompocalypse. Here they will have to battle Jugalo Zombies and find the Zombified President of the United States - or at least his thumb. Produced by The Asylum, Z NATION stars Kellita Smith, Keith Allan, DJ Qualls, Anastasia Baranova, Russell Hodgkinson, Nat Zang, Joseph Gatt, Emilio Rivera and Matt Cedeño.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

GreenNight posted:

Jugalo Zombies

whoop whoop

edit: also the "mind-bending time jump" gets them out of the cliffhanger they were stuck in, lol

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 28, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's always a nice surprise when I realize Z Nation comes back soon.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I hope every single Juggalo Zombie is played by Henry Rollins.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hey hey this show is back in one week. ARE YOU READY?!

We're keeping this thread. I'll see if I can get a title change. Any suggestions?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Finished season 3, it picked up the last few episodes and that was fun. They left themselves a bunch of cliffhangers, they could do basically anything next season.

Started Blood Drive on the thread's recommendation and it's great.

They should randomly put Slink into Z-nation and see if anyone notices.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A week, I can't believe it's almost fall. I'm not ready.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Time for Z Nation again? Ok.

I have no recollection of how the last season ended.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

IRQ posted:

Time for Z Nation again? Ok.

I have no recollection of how the last season ended.

Pretty much everyone was just about to die.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

JossiRossi posted:

Pretty much everyone was just about to die.

Just like the other 2 seasons.

I'm hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
weird how they waited until 2 days before premiere to drop a trailer? is this gonna be the last season? kinda feels like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75uwa2Id4kM

• Locked thread