Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They all live in loft apartments in Montreal. Is there any doubt they're loaded? Woolie even has a rooftop view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Why do we care how much money Woolie makes again?

Curiosity. Was that a thing he had to save up for, or was it just spur of the moment like anytime anyone sees a donut while they're supposed to be dieting?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I love bad cop Woolie. He just goes whole hog with the gimmick into absurdity.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

FauxGateau posted:

They all live in loft apartments in Montreal. Is there any doubt they're loaded? Woolie even has a rooftop view.

Housing costs in Montreal aren't very high, it doesn't mean as much as you think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, I was hoping night in the woods was about mae and ~problems~, not ridiculous mine death cults

what a bummer

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, I was hoping night in the woods was about mae and ~problems~, not ridiculous mine death cults

what a bummer
It's about both.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well of course but it's still a dumb plot twist

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Naw wait Woolie what are you doing being so fabulous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdBHxxxRjZk&t=939s

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 25, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Much to my surprise I caught Liam walking around a game convention in the Philadelphia area I was at earlier today (TooManyGames). I absolutely did not expect to see him there and I marked out so hard I had to go introduce myself and tell him I'm a fan of his recent solo streams. We had a lovely conversion about NieR, Yoko Taro and Streets of Rage.

When we were done he shook my hand and told me it was an absolute pleasure meeting me and it just made my entire day. He is such a genuinely nice person. I hope he's doing better and has his anxiety under control. That poo poo is no picnic from what I've heard :(

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just kinda wrote off NitW for being about the rust belt tbh.

Had quite enough of hearing about ~Economic Anxiety~ from that corner.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

shame you're writing off an otherwise great game(until the recent episode's point) because of that dumb reason then

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

beep by grandpa posted:

Much to my surprise I caught Liam walking around a game convention in the Philadelphia area I was at earlier today (TooManyGames). I absolutely did not expect to see him there and I marked out so hard I had to go introduce myself and tell him I'm a fan of his recent solo streams. We had a lovely conversion about NieR, Yoko Taro and Streets of Rage.

When we were done he shook my hand and told me it was an absolute pleasure meeting me and it just made my entire day. He is such a genuinely nice person. I hope he's doing better and has his anxiety under control. That poo poo is no picnic from what I've heard :(

Woolie and Matt were there too and had a panel or something the day before.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

shame you're writing off an otherwise great game(until the recent episode's point) because of that dumb reason then

Blah blah anime gifs blah blah

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

I mean, on what way? I think the Rust Belt is more of a backdrop to tell the story of young adults trying to deal with small townlives in the present day. There's some economic and social criticism in there (and it's pretty left-leaning), but I don't think it goes too hard on either the "rust belt people are dumb trump voters" or "city people are entitled millenials that couldn't hack it in a real job". In fact it feels like a pretty kind view on the average rundown town.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The panel was Saturday; Liam was hanging around the Spooky's booth (don't remember the name of the dev team) all weekend for business. He couldn't say what he's working on yet, but he's really excited and it's going great.

He's doing much better mentally, so that was great to hear. He expressed a lot of gratitude for everyone supporting him. It's definitely been a good move on his end, though he definitely understands the disappointment from his departure.

Also we'll be getting a heavily-edited Bible Black LP so that's nice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidtentacle posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Yeah, this twist sucks because it still doesn't explain the question of 'WHY ARE THERE REGULAR rear end ANIMALS RUNNING AROUND?!'

beep by grandpa posted:

Did he look young as always or has he finally started aging like the rest of us?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Squidtentacle posted:

From Liam or from Matt, etc on the channel?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

Blah blah anime gifs blah blah
hmmm, confirming you're an idiot with no cogent argument, I see :thunk:

Squidtentacle posted:

If it was just the audio and a reaction face cam for them that'd be perfect

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

I mean, on what way?

The game at launch was being constantly described as a mix of cringe humor vis a vis Mei and social commentary about the problems of the RB. I don't like the former and was sick of the latter. As for the LP, I don't usually like WM joints. So it was a wash all around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a gif of all the dudes in predator shooting their guns into the jungle but instead of bullets coming out of the guns it's a constant stream of rodyle's bad opinions

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

The game at launch was being constantly described as a mix of cringe humor vis a vis Mei and social commentary about the problems of the RB. I don't like the former and was sick of the latter. As for the LP, I don't usually like WM joints. So it was a wash all around.

It's not very cringe, although it's very...millennial. Like, think Undertale. I can see not being very into the themes tho, the rust belt is more a background but it still touches on industries going away and lack of perspective for people that couldn't/won't leave. I really liked it but I can see why you wouldn't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dias posted:

It's not very cringe, although it's very...millennial. Like, think Undertale.

Noooo way. Undertale is loving dumbass humor, NitW is actually good. They aren't comparable at all, NitW is more underplayed character humor whereas Undertale is "Wacky monkey cheese meme" humor.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

Noooo way. Undertale is loving dumbass humor, NitW is actually good. They aren't comparable at all, NitW is more underplayed character humor whereas Undertale is "Wacky monkey cheese meme" humor.

Well, I absolutely disagree because I find the humor is quite similar and Undertale is just a TAD more "random" than knife-fight in the middle of the woods. I really like both games and I think they use the same voice, just NitW is a bit more...mature? I wanna say cynical but it just deals with actual real stuff while Undertale is very much a children's cartoon.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'd argue its less of meme humor and different thematic standpoints? Undertale is more of a video game commentary while NiTW is a societal commentary, especially on millennial depression and age culture clash and etc. Neither are bad, but both are doing different yet similar things with their own benefits and flaws.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A person still threatened by undertale in 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WampaLord posted:

Wampalord you rat, you were heating up this post to give me the ol' spicy hot take!

Tae posted:

I have received threats in the past for posting undertale fanart, undertale is dangerous, nay, toxic, to insecure nerds

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 25, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tae posted:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Invictus posted:

Well of course but it's still a dumb plot twist

It's kinda fitting I guess. Mae has dissociative personality disorder. Similarly the death cult don't see their victims as people, but rather a proactive way to starve off the decay of their town. It's basically dark souls. With Mae serving as a mirror to the death cult. It's probably why the eldritch horror wanted her to see the hole and the death cult.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matt is actually doing a Bible Black LP, god bless

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nerdman42 posted:

I'd argue its less of meme humor and different thematic standpoints? Undertale is more of a video game commentary while NiTW is a societal commentary, especially on millennial depression and age culture clash and etc. Neither are bad, but both are doing different yet similar things with their own benefits and flaws.

Undertale has basically no meme humor anyway. It does references but it's not like they're the entire joke, like the dating sim. But yeah, NitW wants to talk about societal issues, Undertale is commentary on how RPGs usually work, and overall I think their comedy comes from a similar place although with different intentions.

Also I think the "twist" (it's just kind of a twist) in NitW ends up tying around nicely enough with NitW's message anyway, so I'm fine with it. It doesn't quite stick the landing but I still think it does a lot of the things Life is Strange wanted to do way better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

At least we've finally moved on from Gone Home.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

my only knowledge of bible black comes from liberal crime squad(its an anime i use to covert conservatives to the liberal agenda). is this something to be excited about?

e: just googled it. how the heck is this gonna work?

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 26, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not "threatened" by it, you nerds. I watched the whole BF playthrough of it and was extremely underwhelmed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No, no, shhhh, it's okay.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rodyle posted:

That's dumb as hell on both counts.

Like almost immediately it's pretty obviously focused on a young person/people with emotional/mental issues, good work on also not caring about actual poor people too because some people around them have poo poo opinions?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 26, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

it's the literal opposite of ~economic anxiety~ my dude unless you think the talking cat has some opinions about mexicans we haven't seen the secret ending for

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

it's the literal opposite of ~economic anxiety~ my dude unless you think the talking cat has some opinions about mexicans we haven't seen the secret ending for
What I mean is that I had been told that the game was MOSTLY about the rust belt economic problems and considering I could not possibly be hearing about it enough irl I didn't want to play/watch a game about it. If it's not that, fine, although apparently what it IS about is stupid death cults and other poo poo I've no interest in either :shrug:

Yardbomb posted:

good work on also not caring about actual poor people too because some people around them have poo poo opinions?

Sympathy is limited when you tell people "you'll die if you do X" and they do X anyway just to spite those drat coastal elites

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

although apparently what it IS about is stupid death cults and other poo poo I've no interest in either :shrug:

I often also don't understand the concepts of metaphors and twists to enhance the earlier point and themes of the literature,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You're already biased against the game but I dunno, watch the first couple of episodes of the LP, maybe you'll come around on it.