Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

TheDK posted:

Bad Boys 2 is definitely his best

The scene where Smith looks at his dumpy yearbook photo before joining Lawrence in ripping up a dopey kid dating Lawrence's daughter is really funny.

Lord Krangdar posted:

SMG had some really good posts about Steve Buscemi's character being key to The Island that made me appreciate that movie a lot more.

It's probably my favorite Bay. Pain n Gain is pretty far up there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bad Boy's 2 Reggie's scene is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEf2ML7wkBE

I really want to like The Island but it's probably the weakest Bay film for me (weaker than Pearl Harbor). I'll probably need to watch it again, it's been years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bad Boy's 2 Reggie's scene is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEf2ML7wkBE

I really want to like The Island but it's probably the weakest Bay film for me (weaker than Pearl Harbor). I'll probably need to watch it again, it's been years.

I prefer this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhw7rju-Co

same scene but given the context of Will Smith being a dopey teen. "Chess Club, National Geometry Society, Flute Club"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I know Transformers 2 probably has the worst reputation of the lot, but there's something really cool about how it was somewhat improvised (because of the writer's strike). Kinda like Bay's own Inland Empire.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

That's exactly what happened.

Also they're made for audiences that don't speak English or as a first language and/or American audiences with a 3rd-grade reading level.

The writing doesn't matter.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Not enough love for The Island

I feel like it would have a better rep if critics realized it was about consumer culture, and not actually about cloning.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The new transformers was another movie filled with robots but it sure has gotten extra schlocky. Was nice to see some old characters return.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Pearl Harbor would be really good if you could cut out the attack sequence (which is legitimately some of Bay's best work from a technical perspective) and paste it into Tora, Tora, Tora.

It's a really spectacular sequence surrounded by a really bad romance story.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ungulateman posted:

it's pretty great watching people in lindsay ellis' twitter feed break down in utter confusion after finding out that megan fox's character is called mikaela banes

just a giant ball of inane conspiracies surrounding michael bay's deep inner feelings and how he wants to gently caress america/shia lebouf/it's his 'girlsona'

i mean, it really does feel like there's quite a bit to unpack there. you don't usually see a male action director naming the paper-thin love interest after himself.

i'm not gonna take a guess for myself, but i would genuinely like to hear what he says about it if asked

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, it really does feel like there's quite a bit to unpack there. you don't usually see a male action director naming the paper-thin love interest after himself.

i'm not gonna take a guess for myself, but i would genuinely like to hear what he says about it if asked

Bay doesn't tend to answer questions like that, I think. About the most clear-cut thing he's said about all of the films I think is that he detested the character The Fallen, flat-out calling him "kind of poo poo".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lord Krangdar posted:

I know Transformers 2 probably has the worst reputation of the lot, but there's something really cool about how it was somewhat improvised (because of the writer's strike). Kinda like Bay's own Inland Empire.

It wasn't improvised, it was that they were literally shooting a first-draft script (although Ehren Kruger did on-set rewrite work once the strike was over).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Still, the fact that Bay was able to make a 200M summer tentpole with a practical synopsis as quick and easy as he did might be the reason why he has no problems finding work in Hollywood (he's reliable and gets the job done)

Also, all I have to say about Transformers 5 is if it makes another billion in China that's all Paramount wants.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like I gotta give Bay props for literally making Earth a transformers but now that we know Unicron is Earth... then that means the transformers are the biggest gently caress ups in the universe. So, chronologically speaking, the ancient Primes go around the universe farming stars on the condition that it doesn't end any life. The Fallen says gently caress that and attempts to farm our sun by building the sun killer... on Unicron. Time passes and Cybertron has its war. The cube AND the teleport matrix are both lost in this war. Except they both land on Unicron (and the moon). The cube is fused to Megatron and the matrix is fused to Optimus. One kills and the other revives (it's poetry). So then Sentinel shows up to basically do what Quintessa wants to do. Then this movie has Quintessa do the same thing (where was she in Extinction if she was on Cybertron) by literally driving Cybertron to Unicron.

And during all of this, Hopkin's group of guarding the Transformers history and waiting for the prophecy of Cybertron coming... do nothing when Cybertron shows up on the third movie. Not to mention that you'd think our planet being a giant loving robot would show up at some point in history.

Like there is SO MUCH poo poo that's actively ignored between films I can't help but laugh at the obvious lack of giving a gently caress. The second you even try to think about it everything falls apart and you find yourself staring into an abyss of hopelessness. That said, if the next (and maybe final) film ends with Unicron waking up and in turn ending humanity and Earth forcing a few human refugees to now live as pets in Cybertron (which is now restored) I will forgive Bay for any and all inconsistencies. Double bonus if they do a Gurren Lagan and reveal the moon is ALSO a transformer and Prime fuses with it to form Giga Prime or something equally dumb.

In some of the other transformers canon Cybertron is a dude.

I want the next film to end with two planets fist fighting.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The last knight was a disjointed piece of poo poo with terrible editing, a dumb plot, stupid out of place slapstick and "humour", and pointless scenes upon pointless scenes.

I'm glad I wasn't the one that paid for the tickets. gently caress that movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People keep praising Bay for making Earth into Unicron but that's a large part of the [i]Transformers Prime animated series from 5 years back or so.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just came out of it. This was the most ambitious and insane thing I've ever seen put on film. To say I loved it is an understatement. Seriously I caught myself just gawking at the screen and all the insane chase stuff they did.

I need a 2nd screening and time to process this one because holy loving poo poo Michael Bay is a madman and a genius and god drat everything about this movie owned.

I agree with this. I just saw it, and, holy gently caress do I need time to process it for awhile. I would also say this is by far the best Transformers film.

The good:

Quintessa. Easily the most intriguing villain/transformer(?) in the series. I wish we got to see more of her.
Megatron. He looks better than ever, and the guy voicing him now is much better than Hugo Weaving at it. I wish we got to see him fight Prime in a major sword/melee fight.
Anthony Hopkins was the best exposition character in the series. It's Anthony Hopkins. Watching him explain the Transformers' backstory wasn't nearly as bad as Shia Labeouf or anyone else in the first three.
The special effects. Explosions.
A lot of the dumb humor from the first three was scrapped.

The bad:

Really bad editing, especially in the middle of the film. Good god, one minute we were in Britain, two seconds later we were in a submarine.
The script (of course).

Overall, this is was more watchable than the first four. Just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle. Also, I'm glad this movie is giving 'film critics' (people who sit on their asses getting paid to judge filmmaking without doing it) aneurysms.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

RedSpider posted:

Just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

This phrase makes me sad.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

RedSpider posted:

I agree with this. I just saw it, and, holy gently caress do I need time to process it for awhile. I would also say this is by far the best Transformers film.

The good:

Quintessa. Easily the most intriguing villain/transformer(?) in the series. I wish we got to see more of her.
Megatron. He looks better than ever, and the guy voicing him now is much better than Hugo Weaving at it.

It's Frank Welker, the original VA for Megatron. While the original Megatron has a very different voice, Welker does the voice he does in this film in the Transformers Prime TV series.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Lord Krangdar posted:

For describing expectations for the Transformers films?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

RedSpider posted:

For describing expectations for the Transformers films?

The OP of this thread Terry van Feleday showed that you don't have to "turn off your brain" to appreciate and enjoy these movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord Krangdar posted:

The OP of this thread Terry van Feleday showed that you don't have to "turn off your brain" to appreciate and enjoy these movies.

Yes but where is Terry now. Aren't we still waiting for a writeup on AOE?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's crazy. At least among the people I know, it's like... the people who disliked the previous films love this one. The people who liked the previous films hate this one.

Rhyno posted:

Yes but where is Terry now. Aren't we still waiting for a writeup on AOE?

In space, floating past Jupiter.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Pearl Harbor would be really good if you could cut out the attack sequence (which is legitimately some of Bay's best work from a technical perspective) and paste it into Tora, Tora, Tora.

It's a really spectacular sequence surrounded by a really bad romance story.

It's not good, but I do get a kick out of how the non-attack material is basically a redo of one of Bay's Meatloaf videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GrbCUvZEM

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 25, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Milky Moor posted:

It's crazy. At least among the people I know, it's like... the people who disliked the previous films love this one. The people who liked the previous films hate this one.

That's because The Last Knight is a very different beast from all the other films. It's a mockbuster version of Star Wars that also includes explicit references to basically every recent and upcoming blockbuster. There's Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Godzilla 2, Independence Day 2, Guy Ritchie's King Arthur, Alien: Covenant.... (Plus also Gladiator, The Abyss, and so-on.) The plot is obviously convoluted, but the narrative is extremely straightforward - so, much of the interest comes from how it changes form every three seconds, creating a sort of abstract hyper-generic big-budget film.

Big 'setpiece' scenes are deliberately deflated, while huge importance is placed on such as Wahlberg eating tuna - but there otherwise isn't as much of the familiar satire. It's more of a parody.

In other words, it's Spaceballs 2.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lord Krangdar posted:

If you turn off your brain you will fall asleep. I had to do thought exercises during the second act. On the other hand, this is probably Bay's best looking movie. The scale was fantastic, especially on the Moonraker stuff, the bluray will be worth it for that alone. But as soon as the actual lines of dialog start, woah boy, buckle up. The movie starts with the literal worst voice work in Sir Hopkins career, not that the script tries in the least to be anything other than a handful of tropes tied together by smash cuts. At one point during character intros, the main lady starts giving a speech about how cynical the world is, and there's no hope left unless you believe in yourself and I'm like, isn't she just a tour guide?

The end just kind of happens. Prime and his posse's arcs make no sense, and there's a full on Martha moment. Megatron looks loving rad as poo poo, but is given nothing to do, and then loses because his name is Megatron. The decepticons in general have big attitudes and decent ideas, though the Bay cybertronian aesthetic kind of let's them down.

During the last barrage of fight scenes, when MarkyMark leads the crew to fight, see if you can spot who they're shooting at, and where exactly are these mg placements they're dodging(SPOILER: there's nothing there).I expect a domestic box office drop, though overseas translations may save it. It's the worst of all of the movies, and the only truly good thing about this movie is the knowledge that some day, maybe soon, Jason Mantzoukas will make a joke about the main lady being shown to be capable because of how well she slaps balls around.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

It's Frank Welker, the original VA for Megatron. While the original Megatron has a very different voice, Welker does the voice he does in this film in the Transformers Prime TV series.

Transformers Prime was actually very good and did some pretty weird and unexpected poo poo for a transformers cartoon like straight up killing a human villain.

I still don't really get one thing about this movie. Who was the big guy made out of like four little guys who all get decapitated at the same time? Did he even have a name? What was his deal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ZeeBoi posted:

The last knight was a disjointed piece of poo poo with terrible editing, a dumb plot, stupid out of place slapstick and "humour", and pointless scenes upon pointless scenes.

I agree with you completely but I was thinking to myself during the movie how dumb were the things happening and then I remembered its a transformers movie and just laughed. Alot of the cgi looked bad too.

My favorite part was how quickly everyone just forgot Optimus Prime came back and murdered a bunch of robots. Then as he was about to get executed, Mark Wahlberg materialized a sword to protect him and everyone forgave him instantly for no reason. And then the sword disappeared and was never referenced again.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 25, 2017

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
In a world where fast and furious series exists, is popular and routinly reviewed well , poo poo like " just turn your brain off" and "of course it's bad it's a transformer movie" are just knee jerk excuses to lovely film making.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I was sure at one point he made good movies.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Bay is not a hack and not lazy. When he cares he really good at what he does, but he couldn't give less of a poo poo about transformer .

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Transformers Prime was actually very good and did some pretty weird and unexpected poo poo for a transformers cartoon like straight up killing a human villain.

I still don't really get one thing about this movie. Who was the big guy made out of like four little guys who all get decapitated at the same time? Did he even have a name? What was his deal.

That's Infernicus. I think he's mentioned once by name by Megatron and then immediately killed. Probably some guardian of Quintessa.

As far as TF: Prime is concerned... Yeah, it was a pretty good show. It's also interesting when considered that it came after the live-action films and was headed by Orci and Kurtzman. It's obvious that it borrows a lot of design cues for the visuals of the main cast. A lot of the story, too, feels like ideas they couldn't use at the time -- such as Arcee, whom was removed during development of the first film -- and a second chance at other ideas (Jack Darby is basically Sam with a crush on his Transformer). It started quite strongly but, over time, it felt pretty clear that Hasbro's meddling had worn down what interesting ideas the series had to something very safe. The show lost me during the third season.

There were a lot of bits I liked. I liked the twists on the familiar characters. I liked that the Autobots genuinely seemed to care when Optimus would argue destroying Cybertron ("But what about OUR planet?" Rachet cries out, after Prime goes on about how good defending Earth is) and that the show talked about Megatron's reasoning for forming the Decepticons, what with Cybertron's caste society and all. I liked that it had three different relationships between the human cast and their Autobots, with Jack, Miko and Raf all having a different perspective (crush, mischief making buddy and guardian respectively).

It had a great voice cast, too. Cullen and Welker, of course, but also Jeffrey Combs (Ratchet), Gina Torres (Airachnid), Clancy Brown... It was good and I wonder where it might have gone without Hasbro meddling with it

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

$265 million WW so far. Will this make a billion?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

There were a lot of bits I liked. I liked the twists on the familiar characters. I liked that the Autobots genuinely seemed to care when Optimus would argue destroying Cybertron ("But what about OUR planet?" Rachet cries out, after Prime goes on about how good defending Earth is) and that the show talked about Megatron's reasoning for forming the Decepticons, what with Cybertron's caste society and all. I liked that it had three different relationships between the human cast and their Autobots, with Jack, Miko and Raf all having a different perspective (crush, mischief making buddy and guardian respectively).

It had a great voice cast, too. Cullen and Welker, of course, but also Jeffrey Combs (Ratchet), Gina Torres (Airachnid), Clancy Brown... It was good and I wonder where it might have gone without Hasbro meddling with it

It's also worth mentioning that it was hamstrung into being a direct-ish sequel to Fall of Cybertron, the video game. I can't remember the whole story behind it, but there was meddling there that forced the game devs to gently caress their own ending up so they could launch the game and line it up with the new cartoon being released around the same time. So you get some really weird situations where these are supposed to be the same characters and same continuity but they act and look nothing alike. But the dark energon thing is the one constant, and there are a few other details referenced as well.

I really liked a lot of the characters though, definitely. Prime being at odds with his team from time to time was an interesting change of pace from the usual "good guys always do good because it's good" with the conflict of their interests vs. the earth showing up now and then, and Megatron always tends to be best when he's not just an evil guy for the sake of being evil, and they definitely make his motivations clear in Prime and I kind of like what they did with Ultra Magnus this time around.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
This film was trash. Much in the same way that fast food is garbage, but man, don't you just love digging into a big mac burger and fries. But you still feel bad afterwards.

The entire film rockets forward, constantly assaulting your eyeballs with spectacle and effectively shrugging off any important storytelling - I mean, sure, there is a story there, but don't read to deep into it, it's very much unimportant. The big exposition moments are very much made out to be gags, from Merlins drinking to Cogman doing things to make the story feel more 'epic'. People saying the film is too 'safe' are right on the money. I walked out of this thing, and said to my friends 'that sure was a film.'

It's entertaining, sure, but at it's core it's ADHD driven trash. Make sure that there is some big set piece action moment roughly every 4-5 minutes to make sure all the film goers who have 'turned their brain off' are kept glued to the screen. It embraces this formula and brazenly shows it off. Positive? I'm glad that the Transformers of the films name sake actually get names and personalities, even if it's for scant seconds. Onslaughts door gag is probably my favourite part of the film, before he does basically nothing except die.

Honestly, if this movie could be condensed into a single metaphor: It's a fidget spinner. This film - is an auditory and visual fidget spinner.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That whole Megatron assembling his troops like it's a heist movie/Oceans 11 owned. As much as I want to see Bay have two planet sized Transformers go at it for 6, I'd rather have a Guy Ritchie TF heist/gangster movie set in Europe.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nuebot posted:

It's also worth mentioning that it was hamstrung into being a direct-ish sequel to Fall of Cybertron, the video game. I can't remember the whole story behind it, but there was meddling there that forced the game devs to gently caress their own ending up so they could launch the game and line it up with the new cartoon being released around the same time. So you get some really weird situations where these are supposed to be the same characters and same continuity but they act and look nothing alike. But the dark energon thing is the one constant, and there are a few other details referenced as well.

I really liked a lot of the characters though, definitely. Prime being at odds with his team from time to time was an interesting change of pace from the usual "good guys always do good because it's good" with the conflict of their interests vs. the earth showing up now and then, and Megatron always tends to be best when he's not just an evil guy for the sake of being evil, and they definitely make his motivations clear in Prime and I kind of like what they did with Ultra Magnus this time around.

It's just a bit annoying how they dropped the more interesting or morally grey ideas (Megatron as social revolutionary; don't Cybertronians have a right to choose? I think Jack even asks Prime about this at one point), in favor of another Unicron-related plot where they all team up to fight the big bad. So, along with that, they ended up sidelining the more interesting characters like Jack or June in favor of Miko, probably because she wasn't prone to as much introspection.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Gatts posted:

That whole Megatron assembling his troops like it's a heist movie/Oceans 11 owned.

It did. It just didn't loving go anywhere. At all.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

So Marky Mark is gonna bone Quintessa's human form in the next one, correct?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RedSpider posted:

Also, I'm glad this movie is giving 'film critics' (people who sit on their asses getting paid to judge filmmaking without doing it) aneurysms.

This has been the entirety of the film franchise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RedSpider posted:

So Marky Mark is gonna bone Quintessa's human form in the next one, correct?

This would own. Especially if they settle down and it leads to a baby/human TF hybrid. Then he can be Prime and the rest of TF's Step Daddy.