Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

If the heat wanted to pay bad money long term, they would've just kept wade

I feel like he should age gracefully. He's picked up a jumpshot, rebounding is one of the last things to go, and he was never a crazy athlete. He's been really durable, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Whats the consensus on Tristan Thompson's contract? Way too much for him, I assume?

I'm imagining a future where the Cavs trade Love for Paul George, then package Thompson and a semi-protected future first for Carmelo Anthony. Depends how much the Knicks hate Melo and how likely he is to pick up his player option

The Cavs could go the Warriors route of having a bunch of ring chasers play the center, then just prepare for an all smallball finals

Also I approve of Love to the Nuggets. They'll be trash, but fun trash

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Whats the consensus on Tristan Thompson's contract? Way too much for him, I assume?

I'm imagining a future where the Cavs trade Love for Paul George, then package Thompson and a semi-protected future first for Carmelo Anthony. Depends how much the Knicks hate Melo and how likely he is to pick up his player option

The Cavs could go the Warriors route of having a bunch of ring chasers play the center, then just prepare for an all smallball finals

Nah, he's a quality starter and that's a fine deal.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I think the idea is the Cavs will only go after Melo or Wade if their teams buy out their contracts. Trading TT for Melo would probably kill the Cavs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only bad contracts honestly that were signed before the new CBA were Melo (mostly because of the no-trade clause) and the Hawks Plumlee.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

This won't work because the Cavs already offered Love to the Pacers and they said no.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tae posted:

The only bad contracts honestly that were signed before the new CBA were Melo (mostly because of the no-trade clause) and the Hawks Plumlee.

Plumlee's was just last summer as part of the Mozgov/Mahinmi/Biyombo big man gold rush

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/ESPNMichele/status/879132941716262912

CharlestheHammer posted:

Their D might be better?

All it has to do is improve their D and make it so Lebron can sit for more than 2 minutes without the world ending. Not enough to beat GSW, but better for that matchup IMO.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

morestuff posted:

Plumlee's was just last summer as part of the Mozgov/Mahinmi/Biyombo big man gold rush

drat, I keep mixing it up because he's been traded like 3 times this year. For whatever reason.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Lasagna Pilot posted:

All it has to do is improve their D and make it so Lebron can sit for more than 2 minutes without the world ending. Not enough to beat GSW, but better for that matchup IMO.

:agreed:

A starting lineup of Lebron/George/Kyrie/JR/TT is pretty ferocious defensively, and could do a lot to mask Kyrie's poor defense. It doesn't put them above the Warriors by any means, but it definitely gives them a more realistic shot imho.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hmmm their body language is telling me this is NOT going to work

Trade him to Boston!

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

pubic works project posted:

This won't work because the Cavs already offered Love to the Pacers and they said no.

Well its hinging on the 3 way CLE-IND-DEN rumors being true. And I dont doubt that trading Thompson for Melo would hurt the cavaliers for the regular season, but I think it might be a positive move for the singular matchup against Golden State

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Well its hinging on the 3 way CLE-IND-DEN rumors being true. And I dont doubt that trading Thompson for Melo would hurt the cavaliers for the regular season, but I think it might be a positive move for the singular matchup against Golden State

I'm just curious as to what the Pacers would get back. I'd love to pair TT with Turner.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

TT was fantastic in the finals before last, and I believe he would be useful again if he dumps the kurse

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Am I the only one seeing that fanny pack?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

FEDS is a cringe worthy bad nickname and frankly beneath The Process

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

cougar cub posted:

Am I the only one seeing that fanny pack?

They're cool now, you didn't know? I bet that's ysl

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Kevin Love on the Nuggets sounds awwwwful. Team needs are:
  • a defense
  • a non-embarrassing point guard
  • a core that will develop along with Jokic
Denver is already loaded with a half-dozen PFs and almost as many outside shooters who don't do much else. In the words of LeBron, they need a loving playmaker. It rules that Jokic led in assists, but think about how embarrassing the guard corps is for that to happen

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

FEDS is a cringe worthy bad nickname and frankly beneath The Process

If one of them gets fat they can call him The Food Processor. Thank's

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Actually Love to Denver makes a lot of sense because he loves nuggets.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Drafting two white dudes and trading for Love makes sense if they're trying to capture the elusive Richard Spencer fan base

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Kevin Love on the Nuggets sounds awwwwful. Team needs are:
  • a defense
  • a non-embarrassing point guard
  • a core that will develop along with Jokic
Denver is already loaded with a half-dozen PFs and almost as many outside shooters who don't do much else. In the words of LeBron, they need a loving playmaker. It rules that Jokic led in assists, but think about how embarrassing the guard corps is for that to happen

they've got jameer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hoiberg's number already blocked

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Minn is going to be fun to watch next season

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Shear Modulus posted:

this is the fat joke i was looking for but couldn't find, thanks

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I cant believe were looping back around to fanny packs being cool. A lot of 90 year olds just became the coolest mofos alive

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The fanny pack is fine, but is that a FOOTBALL?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

this is the fat joke i was looking for but couldn't find, thanks

i was thinking mostly of the state farm commercial but yeah it works pretty good as a fat joke too

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

Drafting two white dudes and trading for Love makes sense if they're trying to capture the elusive Richard Spencer fan base

Well it is Denver

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Yeah, lots of past tense. Probably for the best anyway. Imagine how many points Boogie, AD, KAT etc. would put up on that frontcourt. They'd probably break records. Those fullcourt outlet passes would have been rad, though.

I'd be fine with the Nuggets just adding Millsap and maybe Beverley then calling it an offseason.

https://twitter.com/joevardon/status/879123930010832896

Sounding more and more like "old news"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Well it is Denver

Denver is pretty diverse and people mostly just wanna chill and smoke weed and talk about the Broncos, but all the white nationalists in the mountains out to Montana wanna watch Hawyward/Love/Jokic lead the team to victory and give interview answers that are 14 words long

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Faried is a name I haven't heard in a long time. He's like the perfect representation of a PF from the early twenty teens

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Faried is a name I haven't heard in a long time. He's like the perfect representation of a PF from the early twenty teens

I was unbelievably hyped for him through his rookie year, but he literally hasn't changed as a player since then except for managing his energy a little bit instead of going full-throttle nonstop. I don't know whether to blame the staff at Denver, Faried himself, or just say he was a fully developed player by the time he set foot on the court

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently Vlade said in an interview that the Kings entire rookie last from last season will be on the Summer League roster.

Bulls, we are coming for you :cool:

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/879156182723833856

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/879019034347413504

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Bulls are turning into what the Cubs were for a long time. They put out an awful product but management and ownership didn't care because attendance was sky high. A stimulus for the Timberwolves who have awful attendance numbers.

Dexo posted:

There is no reason that John Paxson should still be in charge of this loving team.

And there is definitely no way Hoiberg, or Gar Foreman should still be around, after Foreman got more control over drafting after the Butler draft and the Bulls drafting has been straight garbage since then.

It's just loving infuriating.

Mostly what matters to ownership is that the franchise value continues to climb and attendance is still #1.

Vince Carter needs a ring. He also needs a season with a 2P% over 50%. Going to GSW could help him achieve both.

EvanTH posted:

WHY would you ever sell a pick for cash? WTF is that? Are the Chicago Bulls worried about the imminent merger with the NBA or some poo poo?

Illinois could be 1st state with 'junk' credit due to budget
http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/f70...f82761fb8efc116

IL could be the first US state to file for bankruptcy. It's so bad they're going to start charging a big tax on all soft drinks in Cook County on July 1st. Also, the big lotteries are about to leave. That $3,500,000 could help.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

worldstar, worldstar...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BWV posted:

I dont get why people other than Bulls fans aren't losing their poo poo. Jimmy Butler is so loving good. Like maybe the 2nd or 3rd best player in the east and thats while playing for a garbage team with garbage team mates and a garbage coach. And he got traded for nothing. for a player who nobody cares about and a guy who had 2 good months before suffering a bad injury.
how can the nba have so many "smart" GMs and none of them swept in to at least make a better offer? I feel like I'm crazy. Butler is so good.

The NBA cabal wants MIN to have a good team.

Counting money and looking for talent in Iowa cornfields.

BWV posted:

I was debating the other day if he is better than PG. George has more upside I think but Butler has played better so far and seems to be more consistent.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

So if I had to choose between Jimmy Butler and Paul George to build a potential championship team around, I'd go with Paul George because he can shoot better, so if I managed to acquire another star they would mesh more seamlessly

PG13 is becoming increasingly overrated. He's yet to attain even a single season with even a .18+ WS/48.

TBeats posted:

I would be okay with him riding the bench all the way to a ring. I just want to see him get one.

All my favorite stars as a kid are pretty much gone and Vince is one of the last ones left (can't actually think of anyone else off the top of my head).

Dirk, Vince, MWP and Jason Terry are the only people left to have played NBA minutes in 1999.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno where you're reading or hearing, but almost everyone except ironically chicago media bought by reinsdorf think the bulls hosed up.

Not the trading of jimmy, but why they gave up a pick swap and then sold an early second rounder when they're supposed to be rebuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

High. Remember they threatened Butler that they would lower his minutes and play Snell more if he didn't take their lowball offer. It was one of the reasons Thibs and the front office had issues because Thibs wouldn't go along with that plan.

If someone told me that GarPax gave Jay Williams a bike that'd been tampered with I'd believe them.

R.D. Mangles posted:

is the jimmy trade worse than the cousins trade? i think buddy's better than anything the bulls got back.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that way. As I was reading through the last 70+ pages of this thread I lost some posts due to a Firefox crash but seeing all these NBA personalities/employees spout off strange syllogisms and platitudes is always entertaining.

Cameron Payne, MCW, Rondo were three of the bottom ten worst shooters last season...all on the Bulls. Now they went out and got Dunn to make that FOUR of the top ten:

code:
Player			Pos	NP	Tm
Cameron Payne		PG	-36.52	TOT
Malcolm Delaney		PG	-37.92	ATL
Brandon Ingram		SF	-40.16	LAL
Michael Carter-Williams	PG	-42.88	CHI
Rajon Rondo		PG	-45	CHI
Kris Dunn		PG	-45.96	MIN
Stanley Johnson		SF	-49.32	DET
Justise Winslow		SF	-49.68	MIA
Semaj Christon		PG	-53.64	OKC

Lockback posted:

And Rondo is bad now, but he was a great player for several years on successful teams despite not hitting 3s or even scoring all that much. He has notably been a worse player the last couple years when he's actually hit his 3s more reliably.

Rondo played with Allen and Pierce (two of the top fifteen scorers of all-time) and KG one of the GOATs.

• Locked thread