Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe man meddled with science he wasn't meant to touch and then the Moon Presence birthed BOB.

In spite of this being Peak Lynch it really felt super heavily connected to Frost's book and the fixation it has on Aleistair Crowley's Moonchild.

quote:

Its plot involves a magical war between a group of white magicians, led by Simon Iff, and a group of black magicians over an unborn child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

What the gently caress did I just watch

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Sarah & Leland came to mind for that young couple, but even with the fluid logic of Twin Peaks I find it hard to imagine how they cast that girl as someone who will eventually look like Grace Zabriskie.

It seems like the golden orb of Laura's soul turns out to be the hatching FrogRoach 11 years after being sent out by the Giant just because of the sequences of scenes (not a sentence I ever expected to type and make sense of) but then it seems like the Woodsman repeats his poem over the radio to help the FrogRoach find a home/host, which doesn't make a lot of sense in terms of motivation on either end.

What a show!

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

loving HOBOS *swats at air*

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Maybe frogroach = Bob, but even if he were born right away that would put him at about 34 years old during the events of TP and Frank Silva is nowhere near that in 1989.

e: I guess he was born in 1950 so he's 6 years older than he would be in this timeline, not that big a difference. Thought for sure he was late 40s.

e2: timeline would be about right for Cooper, and I could see those two as his parents. But there's no other scenes that support this interpretation.

e3: Cooper's canonical birthdate is in 1954 and the scene is in 1956 so I guess that's ruled out.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 26, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I think the timeline fits for the kids to be either Leland, or Sarah, or both, just because it's 1956, so the ages match up I think (I can't remember if their ages are ever mentioned.)

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

regulargonzalez posted:

Maybe frogroach = Bob, but even if he were born right away that would put him at about 34 years old during the events of TP and Frank Silva is nowhere near that in 1989.

e: I guess he was born in 1950 so he's 6 years older than he would be in this timeline, not that big a difference. Thought for sure he was late 40s.

You are assuming a parasitic spirit of misery and corruption ages like a human being.

I think he wore that face because he liked it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You are assuming a parasitic spirit of misery and corruption ages like a human being.

I think he wore that face because he liked it.

I mean, the entire thing would be weird. What is he like as a 6 month old baby? And why does he need to be born at all? He seems capable of possessing others without needing to be born into them. Was the Giant similarly born and became the old bellhop? Phillip Gerard was a normal person as long as he took his meds -- was he a spirit-being born in this manner or just some guy possessed by a spirit direct out of the lodge?

e: Also, Leland remembers Bob from when Leland was a kid, yeah?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 26, 2017

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

KillerQueen posted:

Did the original series ever explain the horse?

The horse is the white of the eyes and the darkness within

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Outside of the surreal stuff, I'm interested in how Ray managed to fool Dirty Cooper. He somehow ended up being the one with a loaded gun, leaving DC with the empty revolver. Did Philip Jeffries somehow influence the warden to screw over DC?

Lynch's representation of technology continues to be fascinating. DC's phone somehow shows the 3 tracking devices on their car, represented by icons listed as "C", "FIRE", and "DOX". He swipes each of them away, inputs the license plate of the truck in front of them, then tosses the phone out the window - problem solved!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

el oso posted:

Outside of the surreal stuff, I'm interested in how Ray managed to fool Dirty Cooper. He somehow ended up being the one with a loaded gun, leaving DC with the empty revolver. Did Philip Jeffries somehow influence the warden to screw over DC?

Lynch's representation of technology continues to be fascinating. DC's phone somehow shows the 3 tracking devices on their car, represented by icons listed as "C", "FIRE", and "DOX". He swipes each of them away, inputs the license plate of the truck in front of them, then tosses the phone out the window - problem solved!

Well, remember Booper has some crazy control over electricity and technology anyway. How the tracking devices will report the location of the semi instead, idk. Let's say that Booper hacked into the truck's GPS and forwarded those coordinates to the tracking devices.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Shortly after the BOBSphere passed by in the Mother's vomit scene one of the egg things did also pass out of the stream. So it could be something different, but I can't think of who or what.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

el oso posted:

Bad Coop requested a gun in the glove box while extorting the prison warden for a ride out in the last episode. Presumably Ray just fiddled with it so it would misfire when the time came, and since Bad Coop didn't check it, well...

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
From the little bit at the start of the Club Silencio scene in Mulholland Drive, it looks like the theater in the White Lodge is the same theater at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpmNgaJ41U

Edit: And I just mean that as in the same filming location. Don't know if it has any connection outside of that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This shot of Bad Coop just before Ray blows him away is great. I love the look of fear, but also "oh gently caress you"

edit: Like man, one of the things Bad Coop has been awesome for so far is raw unfiltered silent stares that scream "you are going to really regret saying/doing that, buster"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 26, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Section 9 posted:

From the little bit at the start of the Club Silencio scene in Mulholland Drive, it looks like the theater in the White Lodge is the same theater at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpmNgaJ41U

Edit: And I just mean that as in the same filming location. Don't know if it has any connection outside of that.
All the black and white scenes from the White Lodge looked like the surreal places from Eraserhead, so maybe they're all interconnected?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

There have been nods to almost all of Lynch's films throughout this season. No idea if it's supposed to be relevant in a "Dark Tower ties in all of Stephen King's works" kind of way or just easter eggs or nods to his previous work but it's fun spotting them.

The driving scenes where you just see the headlights lighting up the road are straight from Lost Highway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Section 9 posted:

I think the timeline fits for the kids to be either Leland, or Sarah, or both, just because it's 1956, so the ages match up I think (I can't remember if their ages are ever mentioned.)

I thought they were major Briggs and the chick is what intoduces him to the wierdness of the supernatural

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also a silly thing I noticed is that as of this episode, Ray give two rides

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they were major Briggs and the chick is what intoduces him to the wierdness of the supernatural

Can't be. In the episode where the FBI chick sees his body, it's mentioned that it's the body of a 40 (or early 40s?) year old. Briggs is killed around 1990, and obviously some shenanigans are involved to introduce his body to the current time but that means he was born in 1950 or 1948, 1949ish, depending what age they said. That would put him at 6-8 years old in 1956, and the boy was clearly older than that.

e: Just checked and he's actually stated as being in his late 40s. Let's say 48 in 1990, that would put him at 14 in 1956. Seems plausible!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
welcome...to the newly revealed David Lynch Cinematic Universe

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

If it was Major Briggs, that would certainly explain how he got from New Mexico to Twin Peaks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How many woodsmen are there? I thought there were 3 in FWWM, but I'm rewatching the convenience store scene and it looks like there are way more than 3. Maybe that's just the form that the worker Black Lodge spirits take? Like the woodsmen are the disciples of the Lodge or something?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
In one of the recent episodes there was a deliberate reference to Lost Highway, but now I'm having trouble remembering who it was and when it was said. But it was a reference to the Mystery Man saying to Bill Pullman's character "We've met before haven't we? Don't you remember, it was in your house". Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How many woodsmen are there? I thought there were 3 in FWWM, but I'm rewatching the convenience store scene and it looks like there are way more than 3. Maybe that's just the form that the worker Black Lodge spirits take? Like the woodsmen are the disciples of the Lodge or something?

I thought there were only three too until the convenience store scene and now I'm not sure.

This show is insane.

Edit: Am I insane or during the convenience store scene is there a face in the door?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Someone on 4chan noticed that both clocks are set to 10:15 or thereabouts. I wonder if that means anything (probably not).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh my god this episode is fire

I loving love lynch

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So if the White Lodge control center place is above the endless ocean, that means Coop passed through the White Lodge on his way to Dougie's body? And if Cooper was in the black and white room with the Giant in episode 1, he was in the White Lodge then?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So if the White Lodge control center place is above the endless ocean, that means Coop passed through the White Lodge on his way to Dougie's body? And if Cooper was in the black and white room with the Giant in episode 1, he was in the White Lodge then?

The Arm Dopple dropped him into "nonexistence", but he was pulled into the glass box (possibly its purpose?) and then diverted to the white lodge to be sent back into the world by the big socket. But why is the mother banging on doors in the white lodge?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, all this theorizing is well and good, but the real question is what does this new information tell us about toxic masculinity?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, all this theorizing is well and good, but the real question is what does this new information tell us about toxic masculinity?

Getting two overly masculine men on a side road will result in the start of the atomic age and bring evil into the world.

Edit: but with time travel, as evidenced by a really old tardis in the white lodge.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm going to make a list of questions I had after this episode so I can come back and see if they ever get answered:

- Ray drives away after the killing but it's interesting that he's aware BadCoop might not be dead, and even so he's willing to try and kill him again. Who exactly is working against Bob that's able to turn the people he hired against him so thoroughly?

- The gold egg thing that appears inside the nuke explosion kind of looks like the small gold bead that appears when Dougie deflates in the lodge. But it might also be the Bob soul-egg from earlier?

- The sequence with the Giant seems to be taking place in the same purple ocean world as the eyeless girl stuff from the first episode. Is that the same place but later on? What happen

- Why is the Giant's response upon seeing the apparent birth of evil spirits/ Black Lodge poo poo to vomit a bunch of Dark Souls estus and create the soul of Laura Palmer.

- A lot of people seem to assume that the young couple are Leland and Sarah, because the year shown was the year Sarah was born. But people seem to be split on whether the frogroach was Bob or Laura's soul. I think it's Bob because (1) it's nasty and he's nasty (b) the guy who never did find a light killed a few people to ensure it could crawl into someone. But why does he need to crawl into anyone? Leland mentions being tormented by Bob as a child, and he can just possess people by the time of Twin Peaks S1. What is up with you, frogroach...

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 26, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Laura wasn't born in the 50s. Remember she's still in high school in 1989.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Laura wasn't born in the 50s. Remember she's still in high school in 1989.

She was born in 71

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Yeah my bad I meant Sarah. Although the girl in the sequence doesn't look young enough. Maybe they're gonna turn out to be nothing to do with the Palmers at all.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Cicadalek posted:

Yeah my bad I meant Sarah. Although the girl in the sequence doesn't look young enough. Maybe they're gonna turn out to be nothing to do with the Palmers at all.

Very possible. But can't think of who they would be.

I'm wondering if the next episode is going to open in like 1964 or something and continue on in the flashback. Maybe we get flashbacks for the next 5-6 episodes before we even get back to Dougie.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Folks thinking the girl is Sarah Palmer: is your thought that the bug thing is just gonna chill in her stomach for 20 years before causing Laura to be formed?

Here's the things I think are clear, narratively, from this episode:

• The A-bomb opened a portal from the black lodge in New Mexico. It's not the first and only one as the book mentions several other access points and encounters all over the country (including in Twin Peaks) but it's a significant event.
  • The A-bomb, I think, releases BOB into the world for the first time in a way not dictated by the rules of the other lodge spirits. This is what sets into motion the chain of events culminating in his present effort to escape the lodge permanently.
  • Laura Palmer is created by the giant to in some way stop/respond to BOB

Here's my conjecture:
Laura was intended to trap BOB. He becomes obsessed with possessing her. If the giant created her, perhaps it was as an irresistible target for possession. Maybe the plan was to get him into her body and then pull him into the lodge the same way that happened to Dougie, thus rendering him harmless. After all, Dougie turns back into a golden ball, sort of the inverse of how we see Laura sent out.

Cooper, communicating with Laura across time and space via the lodge, accidentally causes her to detour from the proper path and put on the ring, causing BOB to kill her and run amok instead of getting trapped. She gets pulled into the lodge but he doesn't go with her. She ascends into her angelic/creature of light form instead of being destroyed as the giant isn't wiling to destroy her pointlessly.

I'm not super sure whats up with the woodsmen or bug thing though.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
In Ray's phone call to Jeffries after shooting Cooper he says "I saw something in Cooper. It may be the key to what this is all about." So maybe Jeffries has been "helping" Cooper for years knowing something is wrong, but has been trying to figure it out and stop it?

cis autodrag posted:

Folks thinking the girl is Sarah Palmer: is your thought that the bug thing is just gonna chill in her stomach for 20 years before causing Laura to be formed?

Here's the things I think are clear, narratively, from this episode:

• The A-bomb opened a portal from the black lodge in New Mexico. It's not the first and only one as the book mentions several other access points and encounters all over the country (including in Twin Peaks) but it's a significant event.
  • The A-bomb, I think, releases BOB into the world for the first time in a way not dictated by the rules of the other lodge spirits. This is what sets into motion the chain of events culminating in his present effort to escape the lodge permanently.
  • Laura Palmer is created by the giant to in some way stop/respond to BOB

Here's my conjecture:
Laura was intended to trap BOB. He becomes obsessed with possessing her. If the giant created her, perhaps it was as an irresistible target for possession. Maybe the plan was to get him into her body and then pull him into the lodge the same way that happened to Dougie, thus rendering him harmless. After all, Dougie turns back into a golden ball, sort of the inverse of how we see Laura sent out.

Cooper, communicating with Laura across time and space via the lodge, accidentally causes her to detour from the proper path and put on the ring, causing BOB to kill her and run amok instead of getting trapped. She gets pulled into the lodge but he doesn't go with her. She ascends into her angelic/creature of light form instead of being destroyed as the giant isn't wiling to destroy her pointlessly.

I'm not super sure whats up with the woodsmen or bug thing though.

I like these thoughts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/king_lou/status/879149510731214848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Maybe we'll get a Lou Reads of this thread.