Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

PhazonLink posted:

Going be really fun when the Great Plains/Merica's Bread Basket becomes the Dust Bowl 2.

LOL.(Also the Great Plains aquifer drying up, crazy geoengineering question but can you refill an aquifer with fracking it with normal water?)
No.

E: dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

It's going to do all of the above and probably a half-dozen apocalyptic events besides.

It really cannot be emphasized enough how disastrous climate collapse will be for the world and our species. The human race as we know it literally has less than a hundred years to live.

Doooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

I'm honestly conflicted since every other doooooooooooomed prediction has been wrong. I do not think it's the end of humanity. Perhaps the end of this version of civilization sure. I'm still thinking we'll adapt and find a way. Not without whole heaps of burnt corpses but that's inevitable regardless of action now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mustached Demon posted:

Doooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

I'm honestly conflicted since every other doooooooooooomed prediction has been wrong. I do not think it's the end of humanity. Perhaps the end of this version of civilization sure. I'm still thinking we'll adapt and find a way. Not without whole heaps of burnt corpses but that's inevitable regardless of action now.

We'll have to move to wherever water's left, so...middle of the earth becomes a desert and we start moving towards the North and South poles, I guess

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

It's going to do all of the above and probably a half-dozen apocalyptic events besides.

It really cannot be emphasized enough how disastrous climate collapse will be for the world and our species. The human race as we know it literally has less than a hundred years to live.

Even if countermeasures are created (not half-rear end hybrid cars?) I mean I agree with you but technology has been use more than once to counter human stupidity.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KickerOfMice posted:

Even if countermeasures are created? I mean I agree with you but technology has been use more than once to counter human stupidity.

We have to do massive carbon sequestration and stop burning fossil fuels right now.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Huzanko posted:

We have to do massive carbon sequestration and stop burning fossil fuels right now.

I guess I misread that post as a doom-n-gloom we're all goona die, INTHE NEXT SECOND!
nevermind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Doooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

I said "as we know it." Most likely scenario is that humanity will, after an enormous death count and widespread societal collapse, reset to a miserable subsistence lifestyle and stay there until extinction, because we won't have time to get back up to the level of development we have now.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Going be really fun when the Great Plains/Merica's Bread Basket becomes the Dust Bowl 2.

LOL.(Also the Great Plains aquifer drying up, crazy geoengineering question but can you refill an aquifer with fracking it with normal water?)

This word doesn't even mean that.

That said, yes, it's something that can be and is done. The EPA even has a page that gives an overview. Other methods include simply flooding a given area and letting it percolate down naturally, although I can't imagine that's terribly efficient.

Mustached Demon posted:

Doooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that so many of the dooooooooooooooooomed predictions in the past have been wrong so much as they've been overcome, or solved before they became a huge problem.

However, they didn't have anything like the resources and political will working against solving the problem as Climate change does.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 26, 2017

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

KickerOfMice posted:

Even if countermeasures are created?

Well of course not. If we find a solution to the problem and enact it, by definition the problem will go away.

Question is, what countermeasures? And are they actually feasible to implement?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mustached Demon posted:

Doooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

I'd like to know what predictions have been wrong. Things are pretty on track with what actual scientists have actually predicted, and it's actually worse.

Also, no one is saying it's the end of mankind but unless you're lucky enough to live in one of the future habitable zones and wealthy enough to afford climate control and food in this apocalyptic future, it's probably the end of YOU.

It's also the end for huge amounts of animals and plantlife.

A person's foremost concern being that some humans are alive somewhere in the future to, I don't know, colonize space or some stupid bullshit, is reddit-tier nonsense of the highest order.

Personally, I would like some form of social democracy to survive along with as much of the environment as possible. I give absolutely no fucks that Cluggo, Lord of the Wastes and his band of subjugated nerd boys will be roaming around in future Earth.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

mynnna posted:

This word doesn't even mean that.

That said, yes, it's something that can be and is done. The EPA even has a page that gives an overview. Other methods include simply flooding a given area and letting it percolate down naturally, although I can't imagine that's terribly efficient.

Oh, he meant injection. I thought he meant "opening up more space". Which is no, once the water is gone and the pore space compacts (look up the central valley of California).

Carry on.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I said "as we know it." Most likely scenario is that humanity will, after an enormous death count and widespread societal collapse, reset to a miserable subsistence lifestyle and stay there until extinction, because we won't have time to get back up to the level of development we have now.

I don't know about extinction but there's a good argument that if global society collapses now starting over again in the future will be very difficult due our using up all the easily accessible coal/phosphates/oil.

BlueberryCanary posted:

Question is, what countermeasures? And are they actually feasible to implement?

They're only borderline feasible and require wise leadership + rapid international co-ordination to have any chance of success *world's 2nd largest carbon emitter elects Donald Trump*

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The only real solution to the inevitable freshwater shortage crisis is desalination and you probably want nuclear power to run that. So lol.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm hyperboling towards all the other doomsday predictions throughout humanity's existence. Hence the doooooooooooomed.

We're either hosed or we somehow get the will to only be slightly less hosed. I don't let it bother me too much because the loving was set in motion before I was born. So grab a whiskey sour and enjoy the ride.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nocturtle posted:

I don't know about extinction but there's a good argument that if global society collapses now starting over again in the future will be very difficult due our using up all the easily accessible coal/phosphates/oil.

They're only borderline feasible and require wise leadership + rapid international co-ordination to have any chance of success *world's 2nd largest carbon emitter elects Donald Trump*

Immediate yeah but our planets got a few more billion years left in her.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Not only did the CEO's son ask for an LCD so he can use a Fire Stick to run Fox news all day long he just posted a form letter of some sort from Melania on his cubicle wall. My workplace is packed full of Trump supporters and it gets so bad sometimes I need to close my door, put in my earbuds and pump up the volume to drown them out.

I'm actually surprised you aren't drinking on the job. I have chosen work in the inner city, in predominantly black businesses, partially for that very reason. I don't have to have those odd conservative quirks to deal with on top of a stressful work day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The human race shouldn't rise again because it's a proven failure. Not merely an evolutionary dead end that destroyed itself, but also an extinction event.

The odds were always against us, but name another species that wiped out a majority of other species alive at the same time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Mass extinctions are a pretty standard thing in Earth history, and on geologic timescales atmospheric CO2 is controlled by weathering of rocks (right now the big one is the Himalayas). Humans will survive but society and our world as a whole will be almost unrecognizable 50 years from now let alone a couple thousand.

e: if you really want to get into handwaving and speculation, we could well face another bottleneck like in the last ice age where the human population is dramatically reduced. We could literally force ourselves to evolve.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

business hammocks posted:

The human race shouldn't rise again because it's a proven failure. Not merely an evolutionary dead end that destroyed itself, but also an extinction event.

The odds were always against us, but name another species that wiped out a majority of other species alive at the same time.

H2S making GBS threads bacteria during the great dying.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

H2S making GBS threads bacteria during the great dying.

also probably when photosynthesis evolved and pumped oxygen into the atmosphere but everything was single celled at the time so we don't really know

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Hastings posted:

I'm actually surprised you aren't drinking on the job. I have chosen work in the inner city, in predominantly black businesses, partially for that very reason. I don't have to have those odd conservative quirks to deal with on top of a stressful work day.

Sometimes they gather in a conference room for lunch and to watch Fox and the hooting and hollering is so bad I can hear it on the other side of the building.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

also probably when photosynthesis evolved and pumped oxygen into the atmosphere but everything was single celled at the time so we don't really know

I thought that period was kind of neat since all that oxygen reacted with anything it touched (like iron) before it started to build up in the atmosphere.

Geological chemistrys neat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I thought that period was kind of neat since all that oxygen reacted with anything it touched (like iron) before it started to build up in the atmosphere.

Geological chemistrys neat.

I'm a biogeochemist so it is extremely my poo poo. Like how, for example, iron is super duper common in enzymes and biology because life evolved when the oceans were loaded with iron. Then the O2 from photosynthesis reacted with the iron in the oceans, forming rust, and now free iron usable by biology is quite rare. That's why iron fertilization of the oceans was a big thing for a while, iron is so scarce in modern oceans that algae go nuts when you drop some in.

read some of the papers by Ariel Anbar (ASU)

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Pellisworth posted:

I'm a biogeochemist so it is extremely my poo poo. Like how, for example, iron is super duper common in enzymes and biology because life evolved when the oceans were loaded with iron. Then the O2 from photosynthesis reacted with the iron in the oceans, forming rust, and now free iron usable by biology is quite rare. That's why iron fertilization of the oceans was a big thing for a while, iron is so scarce in modern oceans that algae go nuts when you drop some in.

a book I read earlier this year, The Story of Earth by Robert M. Hazen really got into the biogeochemical history of early earth and that poo poo is cool as hell. first time i heard the term 'mineral evolution'

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

Isn't the equilibrium constant or affinity for the enzymes that collect iron in the intestines something huge like 10^50?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Dang, I didn't realize the NYT was gonna do a full page print of the TRUMP LIES thing.

Is there a place I can buy a copy of that, short of somehow finding where "newspapers" are sold these days?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Isn't the equilibrium constant or affinity for the enzymes that collect iron in the intestines something huge like 10^50?

Yup, and there's a huge number of different siderophores (iron-binding molecules) produced by microbes to hoover up any free iron.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This thread literally makes me want to kill myself every time I pop in to read it. gently caress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These people are the worst at spin, I swear to God

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/879162553913532417

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually millennials are getting totally hosed by the system, it's just the screamers about how China is going to nuke the USA that are eyerollingly needing slapped.

The rest of that stuff is 110% true - it's just the ones who think North Korea or China is some existential threat to the US. They're idiots.

Horseshit. Hysterical dumbfuck boomers are the reason I and hundreds of thousands of my generation had to ship out to Iraq to find Bush's imaginary WMDs while his war industry friends looted America. And those same frightened ignorant fucks vote warmongers into office anytime millennials don't mobilize enough to stop them. Every idiot bleating about radical Islamic terror and Kim Jong Un's nukes and Iran's wmd's are dumbshit boomers 99% of the time because their whole adult lives have been defined by tribalism and fear.

The exceptions are a few millennial idiots sure, yeah we've got two or three of these missilehumper morons itt who got overexcited by their sophomore level military studies class and are constantly wailing their predictions of doom if we don't start a war with China or North Korea or Iran or goddamnit someone, but I don't think even they believe it. They just need to make everyone else believe it because they need to touch themselves to a new shiny war on their teevees in order to ever orgasm.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bwahahaha what a piece of poo poo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

What about old people?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is she still allowed to speak

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

That dude on a ventilator and confined to a wheel chair should get up off his rear end, take a deep breath and pull himself up by the bootstraps!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Someone should tell that evil twit that you don't need a job to vote.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love the totally ignored implication that Islam is the correct religion and Allah is real when these racist conservatives think that Muslims eating bacon will get them sent to hell.

That isn't the rationale. The "thinking" (lol) is that Muslims are so credulous and observant that they will be totally scared of coming into contact with pork (being shot with pork bullets, being buried with pig carcasses, etc) and they'll think "holy poo poo the Americans are bad news, let's get outta here" and run back home (with that Hanna-Barbera "preparing to take of running" pattering sound effect).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Overwined posted:

Someone should tell that evil twit that you don't need a job to vote.

Yet...

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Half of births in this country are covered by Medicaid. I guess those fetuses should have been more responsible and got a job before they asked for a handout.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

pretty funny when you consider what her job is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think that the alt-Reich should get as much as they're giving when it comes to that Q'uran incident. Maybe someone should get a "Chad" to wipe his rear end with an anime and then stuff it with vegetables.

• Locked thread