Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
If you're not watching this show with headphones, you really should be. The sound design in the series is incredible - this episode and especially the scene with the hobos digging & spreading Dirty Coop's blood were 10x more effective being totally immersed in it with a good set of cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004

el oso posted:

If you're not watching this show with headphones, you really should be. The sound design in the series is incredible - this episode and especially the scene with the hobos digging & spreading Dirty Coop's blood were 10x more effective being totally immersed in it with a good set of cans.

is vodka a good substitute for headphones?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm on my third watch with subtitles to make sure I got all the dialogue right (thanks to whoever suggested that, I think it was Rageaholic Monkey) and I'm not sure why I bothered. But when the Giant comes out, is he actually looking at us, the audience?

el oso posted:

Well, dammit, now I'm going to have to add another watch with just headphones.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

nopants posted:

is vodka a good substitute for headphones?

I mean, you're not gonna get drunk through your ears...

Edit: Or do I need yet another watch with vodka in my ears? This is such a complicated show to watch.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Section 9 posted:

I'm on my third watch with subtitles to make sure I got all the dialogue right (thanks to whoever suggested that, I think it was Rageaholic Monkey) and I'm not sure why I bothered. But when the Giant comes out, is he actually looking at us, the audience?

the giant first postures in such a way, farther away from the screen, that it appears he is aware of the audience. he then gets up close to the camera and looks directly at it. the whole thing, when combined with him viewing the a-bomb test that we also witnessed, really points to him breaking the third wall.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The frogroach is neither BOB or Laura.

Laura was in the dragonball, and BOB was a face on a weird dark rock. The frogroach was in one of the eggs that was also in the goop that the Experiment vomited. It might be the one that floats away after BOBrock floats past the camera.

I think DopCoop is still going to be an evil doppelgänger, just one that's even more annoyed because he lost his friend BOB. Maybe he'll lose his magic powers?

What was that stuff on his phone while he was talking about the tracking devices in that car?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So are we certain that was actually the White Lodge? It seems a little different from Major Briggs' description from his vision.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Section 9 posted:

I mean, you're not gonna get drunk through your ears...

Edit: Or do I need yet another watch with vodka in my ears? This is such a complicated show to watch.

vodka with headphones is a the preferred method for viewing lynch in the year 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

OB_Juan posted:

What was that stuff on his phone while he was talking about the tracking devices in that car?

C
Fire
DoX

I'd guess different systems of tracking? Somehow his magic technology powers give him and app that detects tracking devices?

I was a bit confused with Dox at first, because I didn't think Doxxing someone would be in Lynch's awareness.

nopants
May 29, 2004
the hobo ghosts dont even seem sentient to me. they act more like they are programmed to fulfill a a purpose and then gently caress off afterwards. i feel sorry for hobo lincoln who died looking for a light during an a-bomb test and then was brought back to brain smash some people and recite poem magic so frogroach bob could climb inside some poor girl's mouth

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Section 9 posted:

Apparently Lynch has mentioned this as well now:

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/david-lynch-how-to-watch-twin-peaks-recommendations/

quote:

I recommend getting whatever screen* you’re looking at as close to your eyes as you can get, and use headphones. Turn the lights down. And then you have a chance of getting into a new world.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Ok, then...going to see if I can somehow watch this on the Vive tomorrow.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
The subtitles of the "This is the water, this is the well" speech at the end do specify that the person speaking is "Woodsman". So, that is settled, for whatever it means.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

nopants posted:

Was the got a light hobo monster Abe Lincoln?

It's funny you would ask this, because this is the first time in that actor's filmography that he has ever played a character other than Abe Lincoln.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3716858/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This show is greatest of all time and I'm so happy the absolute maniacs at showtime gave david lynch money.

We are not worthy

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Who is the Woodsman? I watched Twin Peaks and FWWM for the first time last week and don't remember him.

It's kinda buried beneath everything else this episode but I liked Ray's shocked attempt to explain what he'd just witnessed to Phillip.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Section 9 posted:

So, that is settled, for whatever it means.
This sums up the show pretty well

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's funny you would ask this, because this is the first time in that actor's filmography that he has ever played a character other than Abe Lincoln.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3716858/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I was going to call you out on this, but then I remembered that the actual credits don't hit IMDB for a day or two after. That is hilarious if true.

snoremac posted:

Who is the Woodsman? I watched Twin Peaks and FWWM for the first time last week and don't remember him.

It's kinda buried beneath everything else this episode but I liked Ray's shocked attempt to explain what he'd just witnessed to Phillip.

The Woodsman was seen for like 3 seconds in FWWM in the scene above the convenience store in the Philip Jeffries sequence. He was played by Jurgen Prochnow, but his entire scene was slapping his knee twice played backward. He didn't really have any impact on the story.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Flipping through the book, unless the family moved to New Mexico for a while, I don't think the dude we saw was Leland; Jacoby's notes on Laura's death indicates that Leland was:

quote:

Pride and only son of a wealthy Seattle family. Private schools. Summa cum Laude, University of Washington, 1966, president of the Law Review.

As well, he notes about Sarah:

quote:

Happily married twenty-one years to Sarah Novack Palmer, 44. Political science major. College sweethearts.

That was March 19, 1989, so Sarah would have been born in 1945

EDIT: He also notes that Laura was 18 when she died, so she'd have been born around 1971 or so

nopants
May 29, 2004

snoremac posted:

a lot of people think the woodsman is the log lady's husband who died in the ghostwwod and also her log

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

nopants posted:

a lot of people think the woodsman is the log lady's husband who died in the ghostwwod and also her log

Oh, wow I had never heard that theory. Though before this season I hadn't really looked into TP theories for like 15 years, so I might have missed out on a lot. I think this episode proves that wrong, but I would have totally agreed with that interpretation before. It always seemed odd that there was this well known actor playing a three second part in a weird scene for no reason.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Section 9 posted:

The Woodsman was seen for like 3 seconds in FWWM in the scene above the convenience store in the Philip Jeffries sequence. He was played by Jurgen Prochnow, but his entire scene was slapping his knee twice played backward. He didn't really have any impact on the story.

he also doesn't appear in FWWM proper, only in the extended Missing Pieces

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

boner confessor posted:

he also doesn't appear in FWWM proper, only in the extended Missing Pieces

No, the kneeslapping scene is definitely in the original cut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMszCiYdtts&t=184s

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
fun fact: tonight's episode uses a song from an old 50's doo wop group called The Platters. if you look at the band's lineup you'll find a familiar name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Platters

Lanz
May 30, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

fun fact: tonight's episode uses a song from an old 50's doo wop group called The Platters. if you look at the band's lineup you'll find a familiar name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Platters

Interesting bit, though a different Lynch :o http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/03/obituaries/david-lynch-sang-with-platters.html

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

HorseRenoir posted:

Coincidence, or actually the man himself?

Edit: ^^^Doh!

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

HorseRenoir posted:

Like the photo at the end of The Shining...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
IIRC The Woodsman also appears at the end of Inland Empire, though I'm not sure if it was the same actor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HorseRenoir posted:

I half expected the song to be from Rosemary Clooney released in 1956 called blue rose, and that event was the start of blue rose cases.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
David Lynch enjoys logs.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

IIRC The Woodsman also appears at the end of Inland Empire, though I'm not sure if it was the same actor.

IMDB says that was Keith Kjarval, as "Lumberjack"

Lanz
May 30, 2013
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/davi...w&utm_medium=s1

quote:

Twin Peaks has become a common shorthand description for darkly comic and surreal TV shows. Do you see that influence out there in the world?
No. I don’t see it at all.

What do you think people mean when they say something is “like Twin Peaks”?
It probably means something more about the person making the comparison than it does about Twin Peaks.

Do you find it frustrating to be asked questions about Twin Peaks?
Nothing bothers me about it. People want to know. I just can’t tell them.

What would you like to talk about?
I could talk about Transcendental Meditation! The technique is available for all human beings, it makes life better, it gets rid of negativity and brings in more and more positivity until you’re just absolutely packed full of positivity. It brings in the gold and allows you to say good-bye to the garbage. It doesn’t matter what religion you are, how much money you have, how —

THIS MAN

EDIT: Awwww, apparently that was from back in May; thought it was given in relation to tonight's and the 2-week break

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HOLY FUCKIN poo poo THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lanz posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/davi...w&utm_medium=s1

THIS MAN

EDIT: Awwww, apparently that was from back in May; thought it was given in relation to tonight's and the 2-week break

Dad

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Turdfuzz posted:

this is goofy but also amazing

Twin Peaks Revival 2017: this is goofy but also amazing

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Lanz posted:

quote:

how much money you have

But i thought learning TM depended very much on how much money you have :(

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

"Oh? Somebody don't like Dougie Jones, huh?" -David Lynch at his editing station last week reading this thread

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching the episode for the 3rd time tonight. I can't even believe this exists. How did we get so lucky? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's so many goddamn woodsmen outside this convenience store. It really seems like in the ant colony of the Black Lodge, the woodsmen are the drones working for the queen (the glass box spirit that gives birth to the frog roach, I guess?).