Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Are you sure it doesn't work in Remote Assistance? Our help desk guys use that and we obviously have UAC enabled, and there has never been a problem. Are you doing something weird or wrong?

Echoing do not disable UAC, do not do not do not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Speaking of UAC, I today ran into the fact that starting a WinRM remote session in under some circumstances rejects you if you are a local admin that is not the Administrator user. The internet says to disable something called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and then it works. Yep, sure does.

What is this policy, though? Even Microsoft's own documentation tends to leave it implicit on the pages where it is mentioned. I get the feeling it is somehow related to UAC but what exactly is this setting that I am disabling?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

UAC introduces a split token scheme for local execution so by default even if you are in the local administrators group the programs you execute run with the permissions of a standard user, unless you force it through an elevation prompt. The problem is only the locally executed programs are aware of this UAC restriction, so LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy also filters outbound remote management requests to drop the built-in administrators group token as well so if there are other systems exposed to you that you also have admin rights on you can elevate/compromise that system and then jump back or to other systems. Disabling the filtering makes that attack model possible. There are other ways to work around UAC and elevate, but having to modify that setting generally means you are doing something fundamentally wrong.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Furism posted:

Talking about Veracrypt... Is it just me or is it less stable than TrueCrypt? I've had crashes, volumes that don't mount until a reboot, or the GUI sometimes getting stuck (not hanging, just not being able to minimize it away) and I could swear it's a bit longer than TC to mount a drive.

I realize it's been audited so I use it but I'm tempted to just go back to the second-to-last release of TC.

It's much slower to mount in my experience (reasons? I dunno), and if you keep trying to interact with the window when it's mounting, Windows might think it's not responding. I've had it crash only when I'm being impatient and repeatedly trying to bring it up. I've also had issues with automatically remounting when restoring from standby, so I just manually remount stuff now.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you sure it doesn't work in Remote Assistance? Our help desk guys use that and we obviously have UAC enabled, and there has never been a problem. Are you doing something weird or wrong?

Echoing do not disable UAC, do not do not do not

I thought it worked, but the helpdesk people claim it doesn't. Based on Google it looks like UAC prompts only showing on the user's side is the expected behaviour, or at least a very common problem. As far as I know they're just plugging the PC name into remote assistance and using default settings.

I gave that guy an earful this morning but I still don't think he understands why UAC is such a big deal. I'm not planning on turning off UAC, even if my manager tries to get me to do it.

Fake edit: I just remembered some people around here call the remote access tool in Altiris 6.9 remote assistance. I'll have to double check on Monday.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

doctorfrog posted:

It's much slower to mount in my experience (reasons? I dunno), and if you keep trying to interact with the window when it's mounting, Windows might think it's not responding. I've had it crash only when I'm being impatient and repeatedly trying to bring it up. I've also had issues with automatically remounting when restoring from standby, so I just manually remount stuff now.

Is there any downside to using TrueCrypt over Veracrypt?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Furism posted:

Is there any downside to using TrueCrypt over Veracrypt?

The very first thing on the TrueCrypt project homepage sums it up:

quote:

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt.

VeraCrypt was forked from TrueCrypt, and is still actively developed and tested. TrueCrypt's encryption isn't horribly broken (as far as anyone knows and has publicly disclosed), but there's a known privilege-escalation issue in its Windows drivers that will never be fixed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/12/tata_bank_code_github/

quote:

Staff at Indian outsourcing biz Tata uploaded a huge trove of financial institutions' source code and internal documents to a public GitHub repository, an IT expert has claimed.

Let's hope nobody hardcoded anything fun in :stonklol:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That was certainly not doing the needful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/874393234037932032

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Could have stopped at "Tata"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aahahahahaha some idiot goon I know mentioned the other day he wanted to set up a miner for these things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Furism posted:

Talking about Veracrypt... Is it just me or is it less stable than TrueCrypt? I've had crashes, volumes that don't mount until a reboot, or the GUI sometimes getting stuck (not hanging, just not being able to minimize it away) and I could swear it's a bit longer than TC to mount a drive.

The slower mount time was intentional. TrueCrypt's key derivation (i.e. turning a human-readable password into an actual encryption key for the block cipher) used a maximum of 2,000 iterations of the hashing function, while VeraCrypt upped that to 500,000 iterations. This slows down the mounting of a volume by a factor of about 250 times (although once it's been mounted, there should be no performance penalty in using it). But more importantly, it slows down a mounting ATTEMPT by that same factor, so brute-force attacks on the password are 250 times slower. It's a small inconvenience for a legitimate user but a much bigger stumbling block for an attacker.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Header%20Key%20Derivation

As for instability, I haven't had any problems with it, but then I only give it very light use.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Found some remote xss on a popular web app but also found out it sends the payload but does not execute in their Android/iOS client.

Need to decompile and see how the xss string is processed in the mobile client because it's def not a webview but still hoping for system calls.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Powered Descent posted:

The slower mount time was intentional. TrueCrypt's key derivation (i.e. turning a human-readable password into an actual encryption key for the block cipher) used a maximum of 2,000 iterations of the hashing function, while VeraCrypt upped that to 500,000 iterations. This slows down the mounting of a volume by a factor of about 250 times (although once it's been mounted, there should be no performance penalty in using it). But more importantly, it slows down a mounting ATTEMPT by that same factor, so brute-force attacks on the password are 250 times slower. It's a small inconvenience for a legitimate user but a much bigger stumbling block for an attacker.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Header%20Key%20Derivation

As for instability, I haven't had any problems with it, but then I only give it very light use.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Found some remote xss on a popular web app but also found out it sends the payload but does not execute in their Android/iOS client.

Need to decompile and see how the xss string is processed in the mobile client because it's def not a webview but still hoping for system calls.

Name and shame or keep it on your blog. Or go full disclosure right here so we can all eat bans

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheese-cube posted:

Name and shame or keep it on your blog. Or go full disclosure right here so we can all eat bans

Lol nice stuff.

It was really supposed be a question for any really talks or writes for xss in non webview, but okay, your answer is acceptable .

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hey mate if you want to talk tech then post away or xpost to the yossec thread. Sorry for being a brash poo poo oval office.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If it's not in a webview and isn't being processed as JavaScript then as far as the app is concerned it's not XSS.

Edit: not to say that there aren't security issues there. I'd encourage you to keep going and RE the app.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/F4R4D4YDC414/status/879192624057528320

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
When I was doing assessments as a consultant three years ago, I was seeing OS/2 pre-Warp being used. Windows 2000 being in production is not surprising.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lain Iwakura posted:

When I was doing assessments as a consultant three years ago, I was seeing OS/2 pre-Warp being used. Windows 2000 being in production is not surprising.

I think it's more the three "Account Unknown"s.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it's more the three "Account Unknown"s.

I would wager that they're accounts that have had been deleted and thus are only referenced by their GUID?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lain Iwakura posted:

I would wager that they're accounts that have had been deleted and thus are only referenced by their GUID?

I guess you were right all along then!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

Correct, it will display "Account Unknown" if it cannot translate the SID into a SAM account name which usually happens if the account is deleted or if the account is a domain account and the server cannot contact a DC. So yeah, doesn't really mean anything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you use docker this probably affects you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ortegaalfredo/status/878477207873695746

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
From Ycombinator

https://github.com/infobyte/spoilerwall

I'm going to fork this and replace the movie quotes with dickbutte or random arghy rants. Staging release is tomorrow. When QA is done we go straight to prod!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A new persistent thread that has gone ignored by everyone for a decade has finally been publicized: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2017/q2/616

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
https://twitter.com/0x09AL/status/879731559976378369

So there's a new ransomware around

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Isn't rundll32.exe part of windows?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Isn't rundll32.exe part of windows?

https://twitter.com/0x09AL/status/879744664974360576

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That doesn't seem right either. I'm not a windows developer but I feel like lots of things run rundll32.exe?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

That doesn't seem right either. I'm not a windows developer but I feel like lots of things run rundll32.exe?

Check if you can find that process in your task manager. I sure can't.

Only system process I have that starts with r is RuntimeBroker.exe

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 27, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SinineSiil posted:

Check if you can find that process in your task manager. I sure can't.

Yes I can. according to Process Explorer the "scan to PC" function of my HP scanner uses rundll32.exe to run a DLL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rundll32.exe is used to "run" DLL files which aren't normally runnable like exe files.

So, while it's possible some malware is being run this way, rundll32.exe being present isn't necessary and sufficient to say you've got some ransomware. You've got to check for that scheduled task he's talking about :

https://twitter.com/0x09AL/status/879739959942553600

It seems wrong to say "you're probably infected" if you see it in your process list, but I'm not positive about how common it is to run DLL's in this fashion. Some Googlin' leads me to believe it's pretty common, but I'm not sure.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Yes I can. according to Process Explorer the "scan to PC" function of my HP scanner uses rundll32.exe to run a DLL.

Couldn't find anything with Process Explorer running as admin either, and after Googling a bit I'm kind of surprised about it. Is that process very rarely used nowadays?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yeah, that wasn't the best Tweet to mention that malware, but it (the malware) is apparently spreading in very visible places.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lol wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ahah tomorrow everyone is gonna be hosed when they turn on their pcs. Apparently it's not using smb 1 to spread anymore? Wmic and psexploit apparently