Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FlamingLiberal posted:

These people are the worst at spin, I swear to God

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/879162553913532417

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

business hammocks posted:

The human race shouldn't rise again because it's a proven failure. Not merely an evolutionary dead end that destroyed itself, but also an extinction event.

Pellisworth posted:

e: if you really want to get into handwaving and speculation, we could well face another bottleneck like in the last ice age where the human population is dramatically reduced. We could literally force ourselves to evolve.

To be clear, humans are possibly an evolutionary dead end due to the obstetrical dilemma. Head size is ultimately constrained by the female pelvis, and will remain that way so long as people want to walk upright. Humans probably can't get too much smarter than we are now ie just smart enough to invent capitalism and cause a planetary extinction event but not smart enough to prevent it. Life might find a way, otherwise ever-craftier raccoons are the best hope for future intelligent life.

The last real opportunity to prevent serious global warming was lost with the overall failure of the Kyoto accord. Trump's election is just more evidence that we probably never had a chance.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not about spin, it's about crafting the perfect Outrage Modifier that gets the media and people talking about the wrong things.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

To be clear, humans are possibly an evolutionary dead end due to the obstetrical dilemma. Head size is ultimately constrained by the female pelvis, and will remain that way so long as people want to walk upright. Humans probably can't get too much smarter than we are now ie just smart enough to invent capitalism and cause a planetary extinction event but not smart enough to prevent it. Life might find a way, otherwise ever-craftier raccoons are the best hope for future intelligent life.

The last real opportunity to prevent serious global warming was lost with the overall failure of the Kyoto accord. Trump's election is just more evidence that we probably never had a chance.

I was thinking more about adaptations to better tolerate warmer weather. For example, the bottleneck favoring tall/lanky people because they have more body surface area to radiate heat and cool off.

e: also, Neanderthals had bigger brains (by like 10-15%, a lot) than us. I don't think brain volume is gonna save us.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 26, 2017

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The human race shouldn't rise again because it's a proven failure. Not merely an evolutionary dead end that destroyed itself, but also an extinction event.

The odds were always against us, but name another species that wiped out a majority of other species alive at the same time.

The Glaxkom Nebuloids of Quadrant Seven. Next.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FilthyImp posted:

It's not about spin, it's about crafting the perfect Outrage Modifier that gets the media and people talking about the wrong things.
She's supposed to be the communications director and therefore in charge of getting the admin's message out to people. Instead she keeps hurting the people she's supposed to be working for.

As much as I loathed Rove and Co, the Bush communications team were good at their jobs.

also this is going to be the new normal now that Spicer is gone I guess....

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/879179449048190976

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Trump's election is just more evidence that we probably never had a chance.

I guess your mom has narrow hips because Trump was hardly inevitable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

So why aren't the Dems attacking him on it?

Where are the attack ads against the healthcare bill god damnit.

If the Dems speak up against anything it'll only draw the attention of the Republican masses! Better that they don't speak up at all.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/879162553913532417

gently caress this timeline.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sad thing is, what I said isn't even strictly true. They've been suppressing lower-income people for decades.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Well of course not. He might have a moment of humanity and thank someone

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

The only real solution to the inevitable freshwater shortage crisis is desalination and you probably want nuclear power to run that. So lol.

Atoms are bad.

*posts Simpsons screencap about how a greenstick can blowup like a nuke*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Buca di Bepis posted:

If the Dems speak up against anything it'll only draw the attention of the Republican masses! Better that they don't speak up at all.
I hate to say it, but I do think there is some reluctance on the DNC"s part because whether this passes or not they will have plenty of ammo for the 2018 midterms. In some ways it's almost better for them politically that it does pass.

If that's not what they are doing here then they are failing miserably, yes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Dear god this climate fatalism is pretty hard to read. I don't really want to watch people masturbate themselves with tears of fear and angst, it's just obscene.

Stop eating so much meat, ride a bike to work, and turn down your AC you lazy fucks. We may be doomed but it's pretty lovely to not even try.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
My friends and I have been talking about this article a bit lately and now seems the perfect time to post it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/power-causes-brain-damage/528711/

Absolute power dements absolutely.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

e: also, Neanderthals had bigger brains than us. I don't think brain volume is gonna save us.

I don't see neanderthals running around causing global climate collapse. Maybe a little extra gray matter could have helped.

Arglebargle III posted:

I guess your mom has narrow hips because Trump was hardly inevitable.

Nice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Dear god this climate fatalism is pretty hard to read. I don't really want to watch people masturbate themselves with tears of fear and angst, it's just obscene.

Stop eating so much meat, ride a bike to work, and turn down your AC you lazy fucks. We may be doomed but it's pretty lovely to not even try.

You're an idiot.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Atoms are bad.

*posts Simpsons screencap about how a greenstick can blowup like a nuke*

Yeah, unfortunately the public is really uninformed and hysterical about nuclear energy and radiation hazard in general. Globally, except maybe in France.

Public Service Announcement: There is enough uranium dissolved in the oceans to power Earth basically forever.

A very hot research topic right now is how to extract that uranium from seawater. If we can figure out how to do it economically it's basically infinite energy, at least until we figure out fusion.

But that would require your average citizen to not be a reactionary idiot scared of ATOMZ.

e: oops meant to add link https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/07/01/uranium-seawater-extraction-makes-nuclear-power-completely-renewable/#79a38df0159a

There is a mind-boggling quantity of uranium in the oceans and it's constantly replenished by weathering from rocks.

quote:

So as the cost of extracting U from seawater falls to below $100/lb, it will become a commercially viable alternative to mining new uranium ore. But even at [current] $200/lb of U3O8, it doesn’t add more than a small fraction of a cent per kWh to the cost of nuclear power.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 26, 2017

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

LaserShark posted:

Don't quote the entire huge tweet dump, you shitbird.

Scrolling is hard. The government should do it for me

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
IMO this evolutionary deadend was caused by Thomas Midgley Jr. and the unluckyness of that mofo literally going around and injecting lead into a whole generation of people like a lead tooth fairy/santa.

I think my pop science theory lines up with Boomers being lead brained psychos.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Man, imagine the shitstorm if that were a piss Christ in front of a church

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the name of game now with climate change is mitigation and preparation, i think, rather the old dream of 'stopping' it from happening we can still try to sand off the sharp corners before we poke our eyes out

SocketWrench posted:

Scrolling is hard. The government should do it for me

god drat it don't give apple any more lovely ideas

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, whether your neighborhood should be deported or just stomped under the heel of the local PD

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

skylined! posted:

did the thread miss this somehow because lol if the Miami herald can find this stuff mueller must be having a field day

https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/879152887032676353

You're likely reading way too much on this. That's just how corrupt Russia is (more famous example: Putin's press secretary was noticed wearing a watch costing $620,000 --- 4 of his yearly salaries), and Trump properties are likely full of the sort of tasteless gaudy junk that a corrupt apparatchik in post-Soviet space would buy. The salaries are negligible source of income, the bribes and kickbacks are the bulk.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

IMO this evolutionary deadend was caused by Thomas Midgley Jr. and the unluckyness of that mofo literally going around and injecting lead into a whole generation of people like a lead tooth fairy/santa.

I think my pop science theory lines up with Boomers being lead brained psychos.

they hid the mind-control chemtrails in the cars???????? :eyepop:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

You're an idiot.

That is true; I'm profoundly ignorant as well.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, but my point is that if you truly believe that there is no hope for us, why bother talking about it or reading about it? In that case I think ignorance is bliss. Just forget about it and try to live as happy a life as you can, and don't have any children.

And if you think that something can be done, then endless predictions of our eventual doom if we don't change course aren't that helpful by themselves. Concrete actions that people need to take, and that are possible are actually helpful. And those need to be advocated for.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OddObserver posted:

You're likely reading way too much on this. That's just how corrupt Russia is (more famous example: Putin's press secretary was noticed wearing a watch costing $620,000 --- 4 of his yearly salaries), and Trump properties are likely full of the sort of tasteless gaudy junk that a corrupt apparatchik in post-Soviet space would buy. The salaries are negligible source of income, the bribes and kickbacks are the bulk.

This is generally how most nation-states outside the U.S. work. It's a miracle we've lasted this long.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Last couple pages have been full of (a) depressingly doomsaying hypotheses, and (b) many extremely good scifi short story/novel idea seeds.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Google Butt posted:

Nope, just some dude in a hobbyist Slack channel I came across. After posting that McConnel tweet about not meeting with march of dimes with the tag "F f gently caress you got mine" he responded with:

Of course not. But just because he got some nice chairs he didn't have to burn the rest in a fire so no one else could have any

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zero_Grade posted:

Last couple pages have been full of (a) depressingly doomsaying hypotheses, and (b) many extremely good scifi short story/novel idea seeds.

They've all probably been done already. Guys like Kim Stanley Robinson use like 20 of them per book

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

This is generally how most nation-states outside the U.S. work. It's a miracle we've lasted this long.

The bribes and kickbacks exist here too, they're just clad in the flammable external aesthetic of capitalism.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mrs Skeletor up there is gas lighting if you didn't notice.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember, Boner(hey remember the pissant House Speaker before ?) passing out checks from the smoking industry on prosmoking votes?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

i am harry posted:

The bribes and kickbacks exist here too, they're just clad in the flammable external aesthetic of capitalism.

Well sure but most American cops don't operate on receiving a kickback in exchange for not handing out a frivolous citation, you are allowed to elect new people from different parties, and dissenters aren't shot down like animals in the street.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Sounds like you haven't read about small towns and a local rich family ruling it and making sure the cops dont arrest their angelic angle kid that's isn't a drunk date rapist.

Or the highschool FFFFOOOOOOTTTTBBBBAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! team also not being rapists.

e : for recent examples : 2015's Incest Pedo?(Oh and how Zodiac Killer and Huckleberry both supported them during this prez run, but Huckleberry cockblocked Zodiac from the photo op.)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 26, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Eeyo posted:

That is true; I'm profoundly ignorant as well.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, but my point is that if you truly believe that there is no hope for us, why bother talking about it or reading about it? In that case I think ignorance is bliss. Just forget about it and try to live as happy a life as you can, and don't have any children.

And if you think that something can be done, then endless predictions of our eventual doom if we don't change course aren't that helpful by themselves. Concrete actions that people need to take, and that are possible are actually helpful. And those need to be advocated for.

what you are witnessing is a postmodern form of communal prayer wherein the soil is ritually drenched in tears while dejected moans of despair form a kind of broken chorus, in hopes of summoning Carbon Rescue Goddess to burst forth from the earth before it literally farts itself to death

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one thing evangelicals and baptists got right about this world is that it is corrupted and monstrous and fallen. Who would want to live on such a planet willingly, where people cause such a volume of misery through sheer indifference? A mistake must have been made.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This lady is cool and good.

quote:

Trump won, and Amy Siskind started a list of changes. Now it’s a sensation.

Shortly after Donald Trump was elected president, Amy Siskind took one of her occasional trips to Val-Kill, the Upstate New York home of Eleanor Roosevelt.

“I needed a Zen moment,” Siskind, who had campaigned for Hillary Clinton, told me. “And that is a place that inspires me.”

Soon afterward, Siskind began keeping what she calls the Weekly List, tracking all the ways in which she saw America’s taken-for-granted governmental norms changing in the Trump era.

The project started small, read by friends and with only a few items a week.

By Week 9, though, the list had gone viral.

“It blew up — I had 2 million views that week,” she said. “People were responding like crazy, saying things like, ‘I’m praying for you.’ ”

As time went on, the list grew much longer and more sophisticated. Here are three of her 85 items from mid-June:

●“Monday, in a bizarre display in front of cameras, Trump’s cabinet members took turns praising him.”

●“AP reported that a company that partners with both Trump and (son-in-law) Jared Kushner is a finalist for a $1.7bn contract to build the new FBI building.

●Vice President Pence hired a big-name “lawyer with Watergate experience to represent him in the Russian probe.”

Now, in Week 32, every item has a source link, and rather than just a few items, there are dozens. (Her weekly audience usually hits hundreds of thousands, she said, on platforms including Medium, Facebook and Twitter.)

The idea, she said, came from her post-election reading about how authoritarian governments take hold — often with incremental changes that seem shocking at first but quickly become normalized. Each post begins with: “Experts in authoritarianism advise to keep a list of things subtly changing around you, so you’ll remember.”

[...]

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Whenever we feel like turning the global 75 trillion annual GDP towards some project to save our own asses, we can get a lot done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The one thing evangelicals and baptists got right about this world is that it is corrupted and monstrous and fallen. Who would want to live on such a planet willingly, where people cause such a volume of misery through sheer indifference? A mistake must have been made.

That or the universe is a bit more blasé about morality than you'd hope.

• Locked thread