Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

I merged a branch in and then shipped it, so you didn't get much of a chance to see it fail during development. This one's all on me.
Hmm. Maybe you could pick a release date in advance and we could do a bit more of a real stabilization effort on it? I could use a kick to help squash bugs more frequently and knowing when the release is coming up would help. Plus we could let a release candidate marinate for a week leading up to it and see what bugs turn up. Just a thought.

pokeyman posted:

I just want excuses to say the word "mojibake".
Good news: iOS 11 is coming and Awful’s got a real problem with ‘single quotes’ on it’s betas so far!

pokeyman posted:

I'm completely baffled at what's going on here. carry on then tried a fix that seemed reasonable, and certainly shouldn't have made things worse as far as I could see, yet here we are. We'll keep trying things I guess.
Me too. We could possibly be dealing with a subtle bug in the view itself. Might be nice to add logging around that part and see what turns up in the output but I really thought I had it with my fix. Oh well.

pokeyman posted:

Should extend SpriteSheetView to handle tint color. I think I got the idea for that view from Chrome and I think their version handles tint color. Saves having to make a bunch of versions of images.
Ok, I’ll look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Not a viking posted:

I unbookmarked the relevant threads and rebookmarked them again and now it works.

Couldn't find all the threads though :(

Following up on this with my 7+ after reinstalling the OS my issues with thread bookmarks went away.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

pokeyman posted:

I'll get on this, thanks and apologies!

Thanks! I love your app, it's on my iPad's dock.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
LOVE the app! It's my primary way of browsing SA!

Since the last update, when I open my bookmarks, and they start to refresh , the app crashes to the desktop.

I'm using IOS 10.3.2 and whatever the latest version of the Awful app is (I updated it last night).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Agrikk posted:

LOVE the app! It's my primary way of browsing SA!

Since the last update, when I open my bookmarks, and they start to refresh , the app crashes to the desktop.

I'm using IOS 10.3.2 and whatever the latest version of the Awful app is (I updated it last night).

Pokeyman already has the fix. The update is under review. Shouldnt be much longer!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Man I feel real lucky that Awful 3.24 has been working just swell for me, on 6s+ iOS 10.3.2

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

carry on then posted:

Pokeyman already has the fix. The update is under review. Shouldnt be much longer!

Good to hear. I'm having the same issue.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

carry on then posted:

That's great news! :D

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Minor nitpick: I love the new blue on the alternative theme, but the OP usernames and quoted username links are still the old color and it's a bit ugly to not have them all share the same blue. Any chance the alt theme could change those too?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

thecluckmeme posted:

Minor nitpick: I love the new blue on the alternative theme, but the OP usernames and quoted username links are still the old color and it's a bit ugly to not have them all share the same blue. Any chance the alt theme could change those too?

Do you have a screenshot? I see what you mean with the OP username, but not the other instance you mentioned. Once I see where it is it should be a quick fix.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Do you have a screenshot? I see what you mean with the OP username, but not the other instance you mentioned. Once I see where it is it should be a quick fix.

The quote links circled here, plus any link --> like this example <--still display in OG blue. The OP color could probably be changed to the same color too.

I think if you could make the blue circled here brighter (like in Filter By Tag) it'd feel better. It's currently dimmer than the unselected icons. Alternatively you could make it white like you have done in the thread view, which looks pretty sharp I think.

Also, I made those additional throbber icons a while ago that would be cool to include, I don't know how easy it is to cycle through them on different page loads though. I can easily change their colour to the new blue if you like and re-export them if you can't re-color on your end?

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 25, 2017

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spanky the dolphin posted:

The quote links circled here, plus any link --> like this example <--still display in OG blue. The OP color could probably be changed to the same color too.

I think if you could make the blue circled here brighter (like in Filter By Tag) it'd feel better. It's currently dimmer than the unselected icons. Alternatively you could make it white like you have done in the thread view, which looks pretty sharp I think.

Also, I made those additional throbber icons a while ago that would be cool to include, I don't know how easy it is to cycle through them on different page loads though. I can easily change their colour to the new blue if you like and re-export them if you can't re-color on your end?

Actually you shouldn't have to re-export them, I know there's some way to tint images to a single color

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah the new blue theme is cool thanks slick dudes for making it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That's so weird, I see the correct color on links. (screenshot). I did have to adjust the OP's username text color, so that'll come out in the next version.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Actually you shouldn't have to re-export them, I know there's some way to tint images to a single color

I have this going in, too. I'll keep searching for more discontinuities with the alternate theme. I've already found the unread post count and the star and disclosure arrows.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 26, 2017

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

That's so weird, I see the correct color on links. I did have to adjust the OP's username text color, so that'll come out in the next version.

I have this going in, too. I'll keep searching for more discontinuities with the alternate theme. I've already found the unread post count and the star and disclosure arrows.

I meant for the throbber images, just tintColor wont work

Accepted answer here should do it https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19802982/how-to-apply-a-tintcolor-to-a-uiimage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

I meant for the throbber images, just tintColor wont work

Accepted answer here should do it https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19802982/how-to-apply-a-tintcolor-to-a-uiimage

Check the repo. :)

carry on then fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 26, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

Hmm. Maybe you could pick a release date in advance and we could do a bit more of a real stabilization effort on it? I could use a kick to help squash bugs more frequently and knowing when the release is coming up would help. Plus we could let a release candidate marinate for a week leading up to it and see what bugs turn up. Just a thought.

Usually I leave stuff in beta for ages. Now and then I feel bad that some useful fix or feature is stuck waiting for me to finish e.g. pointlessly porting code to Swift so I do a rush job to get it out the door.

Part of me wants to get a bit of project management going on, actually use the issue tracker and pick some milestones or whatever. But that stuff isnt a ton of fun.

Also, I made those additional throbber icons a while ago that would be cool to include, I dont know how easy it is to cycle through them on different page loads though. I can easily change their colour to the new blue if you like and re-export them if you cant re-color on your end?

New throbber are still on my list, dont worry I havent forgotten! Happy to have a reminder poke every now and then of course. Now that tint colour is supported it's ez pz to do whatever we need.

These loving iOS 11 smart quotes bug the poo poo out of me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

pokeyman posted:

You're very welcome. Sorry about the pointless regressions and total lack of new features!

It updates more than the forums do.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Usually I leave stuff in beta for ages. Now and then I feel bad that some useful fix or feature is stuck waiting for me to finish e.g. pointlessly porting code to Swift so I do a rush job to get it out the door.

Part of me wants to get a bit of project management going on, actually use the issue tracker and pick some milestones or whatever. But that stuff isnt a ton of fun.

We don't need too much, just a bit of a release cadence and maybe opening new complaints as GitHub issues rather than a giant task list. If you ever decide to do something, let us know in the COBOL thread and I'd be happy to follow it.

pokeyman posted:

These loving iOS 11 smart quotes bug the poo poo out of me.

Same. Xcode 9 still feels like it's in "nonsensical compiler" stage so I'm not having much luck trying to figure out what the errors its flagging mean, but once I start to make some headway on that I can see about looking into the smart quotes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Testing it's it's it's

e: Ok, iOS 11 users of awful should disable "Smart Punctuation" in keyboard settings to work around the smart quotes encoding problem.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I haven't made any major changes, updates, or anything like that, but as of today my bookmarks are crashing the app now even after a reboot and a delete and reinstall. General browsing is fine. Any thoughts?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

So I haven't made any major changes, updates, or anything like that, but as of today my bookmarks are crashing the app now even after a reboot and a delete and reinstall. General browsing is fine. Any thoughts?

Try the update coming out in a day or two. Sorry.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hey man you make a good app, just wanted to throw that out there.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Long press, format, code crashes the app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Crime on a Dime posted:

Long press, format, code crashes the app

Found and fixed. Thanks for the report :)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

various cheeses posted:

Hey man you make a good app, just wanted to throw that out there.

:agreed: Is there a way to tip, or donate? Send a pizza?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Glazier posted:

:agreed: Is there a way to tip, or donate? Send a pizza?

Just share and enjoy!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pokeyman posted:

Try the update coming out in a day or two. Sorry.

Eh, keeps me outta the Trump thread for a few days, so it's all good by me. :v: Thanks!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
1) Love the app. Been using it daily since release.

2) I did skim the thread, but I didn't see a relevant issue (or if I did I didn't recognize it). For the last couple months, can't pin down exactly when it started but it continues today after updating to the latest version, clicking youtube links open in safari. Even if I long press and use the "Open in YouTube" popup button. Not a huuuugggee issue but sometimes It leads to me having a ton of tabs open.

Cheers and thank you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The new patch fixed my bookmarks on 5c. Cheers!

I'm not sure if this is app or SA related, but I'm seeing HTML in the lepers colony. That's been going on since the last Awful patch.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Thanks for the quick mlaut Fx!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Posting from the iOS 11 public beta on my iPhone 6s

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CaptainCrunch posted:

1) Love the app. Been using it daily since release.

2) I did skim the thread, but I didn't see a relevant issue (or if I did I didn't recognize it). For the last couple months, can't pin down exactly when it started but it continues today after updating to the latest version, clicking youtube links open in safari. Even if I long press and use the "Open in YouTube" popup button. Not a huuuugggee issue but sometimes It leads to me having a ton of tabs open.

Cheers and thank you.

This is something with iOS that we don't control. You'll need to visit youtube.com in Safari and scroll up so you get the "Open in the Youtube app" banner and hit that. I think that should set it to go back to using the app again. Note that if you ever open something in the app and then hit the top right status bar link to continue to the site, it'll start opening all youtube links in Safari again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is adding the ignore feature to the app something you guys are willing/able to do? I would appreciate that feature.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
[quote="“anthonypants”" post="“473809864”"]
Posting from the iOS 11 public beta on my iPhone 6s
[/quote]

same, but ipad 10.5 incher with public beta

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mad Wack posted:

same, but ipad 10.5 incher with public beta
what the hell

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Turn off smart punctuation in keyboard settings. They went to smart quotes by default and something doesn't like that.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Had the iPad , tap bookmarks, crash case.
Works now.

Thank you sir.
Consider adding dummy micros so we can donate sth.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nellistos posted:

Had the iPad , tap bookmarks, crash case.
Works now.

Thank you sir.
Consider adding dummy micros so we can donate sth.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Weird bug I noticed

Tap on a user's name on a post in a thread, then tap Profile

Tap Done to go back to the thread

Tapping on the user's name again does nothing

Current version of Awful version before today's update, iOS 10.3, iPhone 6

Edit: no longer happens after update!