Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Does anyone know what the hell glue I need to use to get the Inceptors to attach to the flight stands they came with? I've tried super glue and model glue and have had no luck with either. Gorilla glue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
GW seems to be embracing the 'Easy Fit' models a great deal, particularly with the Reivers announced sharing the same scheme, as well as the plagueys.

Wonder if they will slowly phase out multipose kits altogether now they have made pseudo Push-Fit models look dynamic and cool.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Cutedge posted:

Does anyone know what the hell glue I need to use to get the Inceptors to attach to the flight stands they came with? I've tried super glue and model glue and have had no luck with either. Gorilla glue?

Magnets.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Safety Factor posted:

You have to add the points of their weapons too. I think hell blasters wind up at 38 each or something.

The points layout is loving awful.

They have one option but it's not included in base points?

haha, oh GW. You cads.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

a cock shaped fruit posted:

GW seems to be embracing the 'Easy Fit' models a great deal, particularly with the Reivers announced sharing the same scheme, as well as the plagueys.

Wonder if they will slowly phase out multipose kits altogether now they have made pseudo Push-Fit models look dynamic and cool.

God I hope not. Phasing out the multipose kits would basically kill my interest in the hobby.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They won't be, the greater number of snap-fits is part of the larger push to make getting into the hobby easier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought starter baxes had been snapfit or simplified models forever.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Pendent posted:

God I hope not. Phasing out the multipose kits would basically kill my interest in the hobby.

While I would still very much enjoy the hobby if they did this, it would still make me super sad and take away the biggest advantage GW has over most other wargames.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pidgin Englishman posted:

They have one option but it's not included in base points?

haha, oh GW. You cads.

This wasn't amistake - they made everyone by their guns and gear, separately, even if it costs 0. That way, if they decide later on that plasma guns are broken, they can raise their cost and not have to raise each datasheet's cost - you're alredy buying them each anyway.

For content:

I'm one of many getting back in. I have a marines force that I'm gonna paint as Carcharadons, using taloned dreads and some death company models and lots of jump packs but mostly vanilla non-BA marine models and the new Primaris ones. I also have a small 10-15 model Grey Knights unit or the ability to make one from bits.

Should I A) Use the vanilla marines codex, play them as Raven Guard, take Shrike, etc, or B) Use the Blood Angels list and run death company with Lemartes, etc? Which seems better for a jump pack army - Shrike with VanVets and AssMarines or BA with death company?

Bonus points if you know what I should do with these GKs - run them as allies with the GK rules, or counts-as them as, I dunno, deathwatch or custodes or some poo poo? Any advice on what's good so far (I know its early) as far as marines/GKs/BA/Imperials?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Texmo posted:

Man the new flying stems they made for the Inceptors (and i'm assuming kharadon overlords) are so atrociously bad. A little hole to poke a stick into would've been perfect, but this stupid cradle is incredibly fragile and hard to pose things on. Seems like a major flaw in an otherwise really impressive release, because all the rest of the models' assembly is really well designed, easy to put together while still retaining detail and being relatively unique.

A week's painting managed to produce a sum total of ten finished models. I'm very proud of my amazing progress, and look forward to possibly finishing the whole set some time before the heat death of the universe.

I haven't broke one yet, but it does seem fragile. Would have preferred they use the Tau style ball joint.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Really looking forward to the new Primaris stuff. Glad I decided to wait to get a Librarian.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

JoshTheStampede posted:

This wasn't amistake - they made everyone by their guns and gear, separately, even if it costs 0. That way, if they decide later on that plasma guns are broken, they can raise their cost and not have to raise each datasheet's cost - you're alredy buying them each anyway.

For content:

I'm one of many getting back in. I have a marines force that I'm gonna paint as Carcharadons, using taloned dreads and some death company models and lots of jump packs but mostly vanilla non-BA marine models and the new Primaris ones. I also have a small 10-15 model Grey Knights unit or the ability to make one from bits.

Should I A) Use the vanilla marines codex, play them as Raven Guard, take Shrike, etc, or B) Use the Blood Angels list and run death company with Lemartes, etc? Which seems better for a jump pack army - Shrike with VanVets and AssMarines or BA with death company?

Bonus points if you know what I should do with these GKs - run them as allies with the GK rules, or counts-as them as, I dunno, deathwatch or custodes or some poo poo? Any advice on what's good so far (I know its early) as far as marines/GKs/BA/Imperials?

Hmm, fair enough. I hope they do keep balance up that way (without an extra $100 in books per year)

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

It's more this trend where it appears they have released a Starter Box, Dark Imperium, with snap fit models. Sure, fair enough, that's normal.

Now they have announced another box. A smaller box, with unique models that add to the ranges in their original starter. They too, are 'easy fit' as my local GW manager desribes. Even he said it's puzzling.

Arguably Dark Imperium era 'snap fit' models show an amazing level of detail and dynamic poses throughout all of the range. And now there is also a second wave. Makes me wonder if the first true generic 'Primaris Space Marine Dood' box will be unique sprues that utilise the same figures from dark imperium. Only time will tell - They want the hobby to be more accessible than ever, simplifying the miniature side of things and releasing miniatures in coloured plastic like they have started doing is very indicative of that.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

For content:

I haven't run them yet myself but the consensus among the BA players I've seen online is that Death Company are fairly mediocre now. 4 pt power swords do help a ton (who has a full squad modeled that way though?) and you can buff them to be relatively killy if you focus enough HQ characters but they're still basically just jump back MEQ with a 6+ FNP and die pretty easily.

Blood Angels do have some other strong options for jump pack assault but it doesn't sound like you have the models (Sanguinary Guard, The Sanguinor, Company Veterans with jump packs)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

jadebullet posted:

By the way, Earthshakers look really good this edition. Also Basilisks can squadron up to 3. Master of Ordinance and Trojans buff artillery. Spearhead detachment exists. Time for an IG firebase army?

There is a 8th MWG batrep where a IG player has two mortar squads and a basilisk squad against a monster heavy Nid army, and they get work done. He kills 3 Carnifexes, Old One Eye, and Tervigon almost entirely with indirect mortar and basilisk fire. He also had a Wyvern, but point for point Mortars actually seem like a better choice now- you can get 3 mortar teams for the cost of a Wyvern. He only lost because Matt abuses the poo poo out of the new consolidation rules in assault.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

I haven't run them yet myself but the consensus among the BA players I've seen online is that Death Company are fairly mediocre now. 4 pt power swords do help a ton (who has a full squad modeled that way though?) and you can buff them to be relatively killy if you focus enough HQ characters but they're still basically just jump back MEQ with a 6+ FNP and die pretty easily.

Blood Angels do have some other strong options for jump pack assault but it doesn't sound like you have the models (Sanguinary Guard, The Sanguinor, Company Veterans with jump packs)

Yeah, and I'd have to find some carcharadon-ish thing to represent them. Sounds like raven guard is the way to go then.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
HEY YOU loving NERDS!~

let me rephrase.

My SO an I have been way out of the loop for playing 40k for a long time like end of 6E I think. (love painting minis) But we have really, really been wanting to get back into playing it. (Tyranids/Space marines, we have little armies)

What would you guys recommend as a good primer for re-learning the rules? Maybe something like 1/2 squads each I guess? Like what's the simplest starter game layout, hour or two maybe?

Pls and TY.

e: once you forget this stuff it's not like riding a bike :rolleye:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 26, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Buy an index, get the rules off the GW website. Use power level and play with tiny squads against each other. 8th edition is so loving simple that need to 're-learn' the rules takes about 20 minutes.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Thx, I had heard that 8th edition was a vast streamlining of the rules.

Which is good because Warhammer.

Yeah just need the new codex I guess.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

Thx, I had heard that 8th edition was a vast streamlining of the rules.

Which is good because Warhammer.

Yeah just need the new codex I guess.

Good news, the 'pseudo' codexes are out for every single army and are cheap.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Niiiice!@

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Space marines want imperium index 1, tyranids want xenos index 2. That's really all you need to get started.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Welp, turns out dealing with Redditors really is carcinogenic.

If anyone wants, I'm selling some GSC Neophytes, Acolyte Hybrids, Tyranid Warriors, 4 recast Malanthropes, and a FW Trygon.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's more this trend where it appears they have released a Starter Box, Dark Imperium, with snap fit models. Sure, fair enough, that's normal.

I keep seeing people in this thread calling Dark Imperium snap-fit. It's not. You cannot assemble these models without glue.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I keep seeing people in this thread calling Dark Imperium snap-fit. It's not. You cannot assemble these models without glue.

That's true but I think you get what people mean, they're single pose rather than multipart do what you feel like models.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I'm curious about the material/size of them, since the AoS starter ones are little.

unfortunately, they look like they're 2x2 and 2x4, respectively. But it gives me hope that they might release a 6x4' mat eventually with the Imperial City design on it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

unfortunately, they look like they're 2x2 and 2x4, respectively. But it gives me hope that they might release a 6x4' mat eventually with the Imperial City design on it.

This would be an instant purchase for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My LGS had another kitbash/painting contest today. $10 entry for one of the snap-fit bigly marines, planning to do Blood Raven's with the the Dark Imperium Primaris so I thought I'd use it as a test model.

Pretty happy with how he turned out.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Oh really? I thought it was only the bases that needed glue. I guess more of the parts do too?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Oh really? I thought it was only the bases that needed glue. I guess more of the parts do too?

Every part of the Marines needs glue. Nothing snap fits.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey I'm going to a game store later this week, a different one that carries citadel and vallejo. Other than nuln oil, agrax, and reikland fleshshade my stuff is all P3. Anything I should pick up for my iron hands? I need some better metal highlights but they didn't have any vallejo metallics last time I went, and someone told me (panascope?) to get some crimson shade for my red cloths.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did they just forget to include the points costs for the Black Sword and the Sword Brother in a Crusade Squad? It seems like Black Templars points got rolled into basic Marines halfway and then they quit.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Hey I'm going to a game store later this week, a different one that carries citadel and vallejo. Other than nuln oil, agrax, and reikland fleshshade my stuff is all P3. Anything I should pick up for my iron hands? I need some better metal highlights but they didn't have any vallejo metallics last time I went, and someone told me (panascope?) to get some crimson shade for my red cloths.

I personally don't like how shiny the vallejo game color metallics look. I much prefer the citadel ones, they look like brushed aluminum or something instead. Necron compound is pretty nice actually, that was my gateway drug to citadel metallics.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

moths posted:

Did they just forget to include the points costs for the Black Sword and the Sword Brother in a Crusade Squad? It seems like Black Templars points got rolled into basic Marines halfway and then they quit.

Special Characters typically have the wargear included, and Sergeant level upgrades are almost always free, aside from Space Wolf Terminator Wolf Guard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So what's this I hear about 40k being good now? I haven't really been following 8th edition at all. Is it the promised Age of Sigmar-ization of 40k? Is average game time greatly shortened and number of models needed to field a normal-sized force much smaller, or do you still have to cover an entire table in little plastic men?

I still have half a Dark Vengeance box unpainted and still on the sprues that I might be interested in finally finishing. Bigmarines aren't outright replacing normal-sized marines or anything, are they?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They're not an outright replacement, but they look so much better that they might as well be.

Most everyone's eventually probably going to go to using them. They're good sculpts.

Beyond that, rules got streamlined, new books are out to replace all the Codexes at once, with real Codexes coming down the pipeline. So far, pretty much everyone that's played it and reported back found it a much faster game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cutedge posted:

Build them in reverse. Glue the pack join, leave it to dry, then build the rest of the marine onto the already-attached jump pack. Plastic glue worked fine.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

They're not an outright replacement, but they look so much better that they might as well be.

Most everyone's eventually probably going to go to using them. They're good sculpts.
I actually like that the biglys are single purpose and niche because it means I can completely ignore them. I'm not a big fan of the models, think their units are inflexible and the inceptors are hilariously over-priced. Their sergeants can't even take melee weapons. I also tend to play mechanized and they can't ride in any of my tanks. :v: I know these are probably placeholder rules for the units in the starter set, but everything has been really underwhelming so far. As-is, they have to rely on the regular marines for melee support and long range firepower since they've got nothing of their own yet. Keyword yet, of course, but it's worth noting.

It doesn't help that I play Dark Angels and all of my special units look rad as hell now so I'm going to be totally fine without them.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

If anyone wants, I'm selling some GSC Neophytes, Acolyte Hybrids, Tyranid Warriors, 4 recast Malanthropes, and a FW Trygon.

Location? Condition of models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I love the knights of bigmar, but I did chuckle when I saw the bigmar rhino doesn't fit bigmars.