Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I love the knights of bigmar, but I did chuckle when I saw the bigmar rhino doesn't fit bigmars.
If you mean the Rhino Primaris, it has nothing to do with the biglys. It shares the same name, but it predates them by quite a bit and it's just a command tank you can buy at Warhammer World. There's a command Land Raider too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

I love the knights of bigmar, but I did chuckle when I saw the bigmar rhino doesn't fit bigmars.

Are you thinking of the Rhino Primaris? Because that's just a souped up Warhammer World-exclusive rhino that has existed for years and has nothing to do with Primaris marines.

E: f, b

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I keep seeing people in this thread calling Dark Imperium snap-fit. It's not. You cannot assemble these models without glue.

My bad, the correct term is 'easy fit' apparently.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Does anyone know how new Codicws will be handled? I'd hate to invest in new stuff only to have it conpletely change once again. Hoping it will be mostly new psi powers, command points and keyword stuff instead of "oh yeah, your tervigon now has to roll a d6 to see how many gaunts he spawns, costs 30 more and has 4 less wounds, deal with it".

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Luebbi posted:

Does anyone know how new Codicws will be handled? I'd hate to invest in new stuff only to have it conpletely change once again. Hoping it will be mostly new psi powers, command points and keyword stuff instead of "oh yeah, your tervigon now has to roll a d6 to see how many gaunts he spawns, costs 30 more and has 4 less wounds, deal with it".

They've said codexes will continue as before, although there's been no specific details yet. Based on what GW did with AoS, it's likely that existing datasheets will be altered only slightly if at all, with most of the main changes being to armywide shared rules (such as faction-specific stratagems, psychic powers expanded on, etc) and new model kits. They may also adjust points values for matched play based on player feedback.

I'd only expect a change to Tervigon rules if it turns out to be broken or unclear in some way, but you may see points tweaked up or down slightly.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 26, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Luebbi posted:

Going off AoS's model, we can expect new Warlord traits, psychic powers, artifacts and armywide special rules. We can also expect some stuff to make chapter/hivefleet/whatever keywords more unique (chapter tactics and all that).

Sometimes they do tweak the unit rules, usually if they've been errata'd prior to the book being released, or the army rules cause some broken interactions with certain unit rules, but usually nothing too drastic.

There'll also be the requisite lore and artwork and whatnot, as well as some unique battle scenarios themed around that army. Supposedly we'll also see some unique Army Organisation Charts and Strategums.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Safety Factor posted:

If you mean the Rhino Primaris, it has nothing to do with the biglys. It shares the same name, but it predates them by quite a bit and it's just a command tank you can buy at Warhammer World. There's a command Land Raider too.

Ah, foolish me for assuming two things with the same name are related!

Having been out of this since 4th ed I keep finding blizzard things that amuse me. Like what the hell is an imperial space marine?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ah, foolish me for assuming two things with the same name are related!

Having been out of this since 4th ed I keep finding blizzard things that amuse me. Like what the hell is an imperial space marine?

Anniversary model they made a while ago which for some reason has rules of its own.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Special Characters typically have the wargear included, and Sergeant level upgrades are almost always free, aside from Space Wolf Terminator Wolf Guard.

Thanks, I completely missed the "(Including Wargear)" over the special characters listing. That seems like a distinction that should have been stressed.

I'm starting to put stock in the :tinfoil: theory that points are deliberately hard to use because the Big Power Level lobby is in it with the Reptilians.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
What all does it look like know no fear is missing, an intercessor unit and some characters? Other than the lord of contagion and maybe one lieutenant I didn't care for the characters anyway, was going to get dark imperium and sell the characters but maybe I'll just go with this.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 26, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

You have to add the points of their weapons too. I think hell blasters wind up at 38 each or something.

The points layout is loving awful.

We played my Imperial Guard against my mate's Tyranids again last night. Halfway through the game, he remarked how great Trygons were for barely 100 pts. This then led to the revelation that he's not been paying any points costs for wargear that's a model's base loadout (ie not swapped in for something else). His Trygons, for example, were each 74 pts undercosted. We were both somewhat taken aback.

We called the game on turn 4, but I'm fairly sure I would have won handily in any case. Imperial Guard are absolutely loving sick now. :getin:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I like the new skullface biglys, they will look sick in Crimson Fist colours.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Clawtopsy posted:

I really dislike their legs.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Same. As someone pointed out, they are posed like they are wearing high heels.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I was talking to the guy who runs the local store about how people are reacting to 8th. He said that it's (obviously) been well received. He mentioned that on the night of the release, he decided to stay open late to get some early sales - they did $5000 in an hour. In the 24 hours of the release day, the store did $20,000 in business on 40K alone. They sold out almost the entire allotment of boxed sets, Indexes, and extras. Business slows down in the summer months, so he said this is really going to help out over the lean months.

As an aside, the 8th release has pretty much stalled AoS in the store (not that there were a lot of players, but there were a few.) One of the organizers of the local AoS community is an old 40K player and is trying to avoid 40K due to the fact that he knows he'll wind up dropping AoS as soon as he reads the rules. He's trying to start a community, and realized this was a really bad time to do that...

Also, Flames of War and Warmachine/Hordes are dead to the point where he's only doing special orders and clearing out existing stock. This has nothing to do with 8th, but I thought it was interesting.

SRM posted:

That cardboard box terrain is so silly.

I don't know. I kind of like the Cargo Container idea. At least it's supposed to be a boxy aesthetic. Plus, it fits into the "Christmas morning" idea where you can play a game right out of the box.

Clawtopsy posted:

I'm torn on these guys. "Terror troops" seems to go against the whole "defenders of humanity" thing Space Marines are supposed to be all about. They're kind of Night Lord-y and don't really look like the "good" guys.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Re: the skullface biglies they look almost pigeon-toed, their feet should be facing outward with such a wide stance. They also look like they might be walking which, again, looks terrible with the wide stance. At least it looks like their legs could be altered by cutting at the bottom of the lower hit strap and rotating the legs, but that's a big piece of plastic to cut through without a saw.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Progress on my Howling Griffons. I've nearly completed 3 HQ (Captain in Gravis, 2 Lieutenants) and a full squad of Inceptors. There's minor things I have to touch up on each - bullet casings, the backpack on the Captain, metallic trim, stuff like that.

I've also decided on a basing scheme which i wanted to look like it was a dead world, and also be neutral so the models stand out more.

Anyway, here they are.

HQ Group:

Shooty Lt.

Inceptors:

Everything so far:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Nifara posted:

Location? Condition of models?

OK, USA. Everything is more or less NOS except for the Warriors, which I stripped and snapped for ease of painting. There are like 15 of them, but I'm discounting hard. After how well GW has done by me recently, I'm also getting out of recasts, which is what prompts me to toss the knock-off FW stuff.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

I love that you did the quarters on the little gun shields.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm torn on these guys. "Terror troops" seems to go against the whole "defenders of humanity" thing Space Marines are supposed to be all about. They're kind of Night Lord-y and don't really look like the "good" guys.

They might even be made with night lords gene-seed!

:tinfoil:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

:vince:

I will be there soon buddy! I dropped a hundred bucks on Shapeways shoulder pads, and i have 3 squads cleaned and moduled for painting!

You are a complete rear end in a top hat for painting these while i was deciding on my chapter!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know. I kind of like the Cargo Container idea. At least it's supposed to be a boxy aesthetic. Plus, it fits into the "Christmas morning" idea where you can play a game right out of the box.

I like cardboard terrain. It's a nice little stopgap solution for people just starting out in the hobby and aren't yet sure they're going to stick with it, and looks better than fighting over coke cans and tissue boxes. Plus very new players aren't going to have the time and money to fill a table with 'proper' sector mechanicus quality terrain. When I was a young 'un in the 90's and had very limited pocket money to drop on spacemans, the card buildings that came in WD or starter sets was invaluable.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I got a pretty itchy trigger finger for some new Forge World toys, but I don't know what to get. In a 2k game, I'm going to probably be running at least 1000 points of harlequins (shadowseer, solitaire, troupes in starweavers). I want to add some beef and some long range guns, but seems like just about every eldar and dark eldar FW toy is capable of doing that.

Any FW suggestions for long range punch to compliment some clowns?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

I love that you did the quarters on the little gun shields.

Yeah, I debated on how to do them for a while, going first from just straight black to halved red/yellow, but i'm glad I quartered them.

dexefiend posted:

:vince:

I will be there soon buddy! I dropped a hundred bucks on Shapeways shoulder pads, and i have 3 squads cleaned and moduled for painting!

You are a complete rear end in a top hat for painting these while i was deciding on my chapter!

I regret nothing. The more Howling Griffons the better. Looking forward to seeing yours!

I'm actually leaving the icons off until after this years armies on parade. I asked my local manager about having those icons on, and he said probably best to just leave them off until after the event so i can participate.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Man these look awesome. May I ask how you painted the swords?

In other news, what idiot decided to make Basilisks a web store exclusive model? It's turned the kit into unobtanium, especially since it is sold out on the GW page. (Though I thankfully managed to find one of the old kits that comes with the track guards this morning)

Also, it makes me sad that FW no longer sells the missile Sentinals.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Whoever came up with the points layout in the indexes needs firing.

Other than a couple of other things (TLOS, random charges), I'm really liking 8th on paper.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, I debated on how to do them for a while, going first from just straight black to halved red/yellow, but i'm glad I quartered them.

I regret nothing. The more Howling Griffons the better. Looking forward to seeing yours!

I'm actually leaving the icons off until after this years armies on parade. I asked my local manager about having those icons on, and he said probably best to just leave them off until after the event so i can participate.

AoP would disqualify you for Shapeways shoulderpads? What happened to the old rule about having an acceptable % of 3rd party bits?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

OK, USA. Everything is more or less NOS except for the Warriors, which I stripped and snapped for ease of painting. There are like 15 of them, but I'm discounting hard. After how well GW has done by me recently, I'm also getting out of recasts, which is what prompts me to toss the knock-off FW stuff.

I saw your post on yoyhammertrade last night and intended on messaging you this morning. I don't have plat so I'll send you a pm on Reddit.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

I completely understand why it's there - when I was younger and getting into the hobby I'd have loved that stuff. I just think it's kinda cute honestly, although I don't really have a use for it. The cardboard cargo containers look better than the AoS cardboard terrain.

JoshTheStampede posted:

AoP would disqualify you for Shapeways shoulderpads? What happened to the old rule about having an acceptable % of 3rd party bits?

That's my concern too, I want to have some printed shoulder icons but I don't wanna be disqualified from anything when AoP rolls around.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I was reading the rulebook last night, and noticed something that I haven't seen anyone post yet:
Pg 113, showing the "Many faces of the Aeldari"

The legend entry for this is "REDACTED" but am I wrong in thinking it looks like a space rat (though it's a Slaanesh symbol)? I'm probably just reading too much into it, since I can't think of a link between Eldar and space Skaven...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 26, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was reading the rulebook last night, and noticed something that I haven't seen anyone post yet:

The legend entry for this is "REDACTED" but am I wrong in thinking it looks like a space rat (though it's a Slaanesh symbol)? I'm probably just reading too much into it, since I can't think of a link between Eldar and space Skaven...

Looks more like a beastman or Keeper of Secrets to me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Progress on my Howling Griffons. I've nearly completed 3 HQ (Captain in Gravis, 2 Lieutenants) and a full squad of Inceptors. There's minor things I have to touch up on each - bullet casings, the backpack on the Captain, metallic trim, stuff like that.

I've also decided on a basing scheme which i wanted to look like it was a dead world, and also be neutral so the models stand out more.

Anyway, here they are.

HQ Group:

Shooty Lt.

Inceptors:

Everything so far:

These are loving fantastic, well done.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's Chaos Eldar.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That's definitely interesting. Maybe the Hrud? There is also word that Squats were mentioned again as being a race.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Man these look awesome. May I ask how you painted the swords?

Absolutely - Leadbelcher base, nuln oil wash, runefang steel highlight then a glaze of P3 Turquoise Ink.

JoshTheStampede posted:

He didn't specifically say this. He wasn't entirely sure, but he said to be safe just keep them off because he wouldn't want me to do all that work and not be able to showcase it. For comparison, the recent Inner Circle event was no non-GW bits at all.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
AoP is down to the individual manager's position, but generally a headswap or shoulderpad is fine. If someone gets pissy at you for that then they're loving tightarses.

Only thing I will say is if you do use 3rd party bits, it might disqualify you for features online/in White Dwarf if you win.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Looks more like a beastman or Keeper of Secrets to me.

You're probably right, as there appears to be a bovine quality to it. Plus, it makes more sense than trying to tie rats to the Eldar.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm wondering exactly how viable Primaris marines will really be given how expensive and yet seemingly easy to kill they are. What are they designed to counter? Intercessors are 20 points each, Inceptors are 75, and Hellblasters are 38 each. That's a lot of points.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm wondering exactly how viable Primaris marines will really be given how expensive and yet seemingly easy to kill they are. What are they designed to counter? Intercessors are 20 points each, Inceptors are 75, and Hellblasters are 38 each. That's a lot of points.

20 points a model is not that much for 2 wounds.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They gently caress up medium infantry like other marines because they can out-range them and everything they shoot has a degree of armour penetration.

Plus a 2W marine for 20 points each is pretty drat good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

20 points a model is not that much for 2 wounds.

Sure, until someone overcharges their plasmas and starts doing 2 damage a hit.