Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Gorn Myson posted:

Same, but I'm cautiously optimistic here because aside from some of the casting choices I'm very happy with the movie as it is. So if they're going to do this then I'm curious as to what route they would take with it.

There are a lot of nuances and details to the book that just couldn't fit into a film. Like all the parts about the regular people on the streets of Manhattan, or the foreshadowing for the fake monster attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope they stick to the original ending this time. I'm still amazed at how many people say they prefer the film's ending.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope they stick to the original ending this time. I'm still amazed at how many people say they prefer the film's ending.

Yeah I'll never understand that.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Professor Shark posted:

Deadwood was amazing, but JfC had dialogue like that which no human has ever spoken, it was like aliens imitating an HBO show. That doesn't make me feel so confident about Season 3

Deadwood's dialogue was written as Shakespearean drama.

You wouldn't get it if you don't have an MA in Lit. :smug:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The dialogue in Deadwood season 1 wasn't actually that bad and added a nice touch to the show, and is one of the reasons why season 1 is considered the best season. But like a lot of shows, once they found out how popular it was they made the mistake of thinking that more of a good thing is always better and decided to ratchet the dialogue complexity up to 11 as seasons went on.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I enjoyed it in Deadwood, it was just really bad in JfC

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

-Blackadder- posted:

The dialogue in Deadwood season 1 wasn't actually that bad and added a nice touch to the show, and is one of the reasons why season 1 is considered the best season. But like a lot of shows, once they found out how popular it was they made the mistake of thinking that more of a good thing is always better and decided to ratchet the dialogue complexity up to 11 as seasons went on.

It was tough on a first watch of season 2, but once you got used to it I thought the dialogue was great. Especially Farnum and of course, Swearengen, soliloquies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any Regina King fans should check out American Crime. It's a (now cancelled) anthology series, and she's on each season :allears:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Ugh, sundays are so empty now.

I've been thinking about death a little bit lately, especially after rewatching Most Powerful Man last night. Usually my anticipation of it death Sopranos-finale-esque: one second you're eating onion rings, the next, hard-cut to black. You don't hear it. But maybe it's more like the end of Kevin's underworld journey, where the bombs hit and it cuts not to black but rather to blinding white, and after a while you realize that the white is the sheet covering your face, the sunlight of a flood-less day streaming in, the apostles fast asleep.... a comforting thought. What other shows offer that? I laughed a few times during the Silicon Valley finale, but it's pretty much already gone from my mind, whereas Leftovers I can't forget...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Ugh, sundays are so empty now.
Twin Peaks is on Sunday nights my man. It's a good show.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Raxivace posted:

Twin Peaks is on Sunday nights my man. It's a good show.

Buh, I still haven't got through the back-end of the first season.

It's definitely enjoyable, but I really wish I had watched it when I was younger. I know it's heretical to say this, but it can be a slog. A lot of it is timeless, but a lot of it shows it's age (at least that's been my experience as a new viewer).

I mean it's super clear that it's the direct inspiration of every show I've loved, but those shows are flashier in a way I'm used to. I imagine it's like the experience a ten-year-old has when trying to watch A New Hope for the first time after seeing The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any Regina King fans should check out American Crime. It's a (now cancelled) anthology series, and she's on each season :allears:

Going back a bit she had done really strong scenes in Southland.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm visiting family tomorrow, and I had to a dream that they wanted to watch this show, but only in quick recap :negative:

And apparently in my dream's universe, this was a normal thing, because I had a tape (yes, tape) ready to show to them.

Everything was more or less on track, but during the end of season 1, there was an old man character who was fairly built and went everywhere naked except for a towel around his waste (and sometimes he was just in a bathrobe), holding two sticks of dynamite that he continually would threaten to light. His undoing was setting up a hostage situation in some shack, like the Cairo one, and the cops (Kevin included) shut off his power to get him out. He accidentally lit one of his sticks when it got too close to a candle he had lit for light.

Right before he blew himself and everyone else all to hell, he whispered something to one of the hostages. Then the entire shack exploded in glorious slow motion.

Towel dynamite dude was played by Patrick Stewart.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Maybe that can be shot and included as a bonus on the series box set.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Buh, I still haven't got through the back-end of the first season.

It's definitely enjoyable, but I really wish I had watched it when I was younger. I know it's heretical to say this, but it can be a slog. A lot of it is timeless, but a lot of it shows it's age (at least that's been my experience as a new viewer).

I mean it's super clear that it's the direct inspiration of every show I've loved, but those shows are flashier in a way I'm used to. I imagine it's like the experience a ten-year-old has when trying to watch A New Hope for the first time after seeing The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D.

I don't think so. I just finished it, and it is my first time watching it also, and I was surprised by how much it was not a slog at all. It moves really fast and rarely wastes any time at all. Even in S2 when it goes off the rails, it's never boring and occasionally really funny still.

Like that first season/first half of S2 stands up to nearly any modern show IMO, apart from the obvious shoddier production values of the era.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

I'm visiting family tomorrow, and I had to a dream that they wanted to watch this show, but only in quick recap :negative:

And apparently in my dream's universe, this was a normal thing, because I had a tape (yes, tape) ready to show to them.

Everything was more or less on track, but during the end of season 1, there was an old man character who was fairly built and went everywhere naked except for a towel around his waste (and sometimes he was just in a bathrobe), holding two sticks of dynamite that he continually would threaten to light. His undoing was setting up a hostage situation in some shack, like the Cairo one, and the cops (Kevin included) shut off his power to get him out. He accidentally lit one of his sticks when it got too close to a candle he had lit for light.

Right before he blew himself and everyone else all to hell, he whispered something to one of the hostages. Then the entire shack exploded in glorious slow motion.

You had me at the dynamite, but Patrick Stewart was a phenomenal finishing touch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tomapot posted:

Going back a bit she had done really strong scenes in Southland.

If you liked this series, you'd probably like Southland too. Both have really, really strong character work and are willing to give that a lot of time to breathe and develop.

It's also a really realistic police show that doesn't sacrifice a really strong narrative. I was really annoyed when it was cancelled.

Also, I would watch the gently caress out of Patrick Stewart being a loony with dynamite on the Leftovers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You had me at the dynamite, but Patrick Stewart was a phenomenal finishing touch.

I didn't want to give away the best part right off the bat.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I seem to remember a real movie sorta like this with Patrick Stewart, except instead of dynamite he was a retired, partially senile intelligence agent who kept threatening to release damaging information. There was even some sort of raid on his house, like that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Krangdar posted:

I seem to remember a real movie sorta like this with Patrick Stewart, except instead of dynamite he was a retired, partially senile intelligence agent who kept threatening to release damaging information. There was even some sort of raid on his house, like that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpObUPEJpg

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Awesome, thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for a while.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Haha, YES! I should have realized there was a reason that tickled my fancy, and that is it. Not really a great movie, but absolutely worth watching once. Stewart is goddamned hilarious in it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Jesus, a quote!=edit 12 days later. I wonder what I was going to change.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 9, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Krangdar posted:

Awesome, thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for a while.

I just remembered "Patrick Stewart" and "you fuckers will kill all my lilies!" and it turns out there is a very narrow venn diagram between those two terms.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I legitimately had no idea this existed :stare:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug&feature=youtu.be

Someone posted this in the Star Wars thread and it is semi relevant to Leftovers.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

*tearfully* We hosed up with Anakin.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I seriously miss this show

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally got around to listening to a podcast with Damon Lindelof and though a lot of it wasn't new, one of the interesting things I learned was the influence The Wizard of Oz and Superman 2 had on the show

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I finally got around to listening to a podcast with Damon Lindelof and though a lot of it wasn't new, one of the interesting things I learned was the influence The Wizard of Oz and Superman 2 had on the show

I can see Oz but Superman 2?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess Superman 2 was the one where he almost gave up his powers to be with Lois Lane (I honestly cannot remember).

Kevin knows that "he has one foot out the door" and will never totally be engaged with Nora, as seen in his newfound plastic bag hobby, so giving it up completely with Patti's help was his way of permanently walking away from it.

The interview is here, it's towards the end iirc

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wow not a single Emmy nomination.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was walking home yesterday and saw an old refrigerator sitting on the curb in front of someone's house. It made me think about updating my "Least Lucky Person in the 2% Universe" power rankings for a new #1: Paul Glouski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3dE16t8HE

His "friends" threw him inside an old refrigerator in the middle of the woods as a prank.
And then they disappeared.

The Dave posted:

Now that's some ol' bullshit.

Oh hey, Anne Dowd got a best guest actress nom, that's...something.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Dave posted:

Now we'll never see Justin Theroux's cock.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I was walking home yesterday and saw an old refrigerator sitting on the curb in front of someone's house. It made me think about updating my "Least Lucky Person in the 2% Universe" power rankings for a new #1: Paul Glouski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3dE16t8HE

His "friends" threw him inside an old refrigerator in the middle of the woods as a prank.
And then they disappeared.

:stare: LLJK?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The fact House of Cards gets so many nominations shows that voters are not watching much outside of a handful of popular shows.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A goon worked on the show and left that in as a shoutout, supposedly. There's a post buried about it somewhere deep within the season 1 thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

A goon worked on the show and left that in as a shoutout, supposedly. There's a post buried about it somewhere deep within the season 1 thread.

Wow, really? Holy poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What am I missing? It says "Jeff K"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RCarr posted:

What am I missing? It says "Jeff K"