Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'll have you know loogs my posting is v. powerful, like kung fu only on a computer/phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
cucked for jesus

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They still basically created it and there was only a short period right after WWII where the two were unfriendly.
It was created through a UN mandate after Palestine was governed as an LoN mandate, wasn't really British territory.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
See, the thing about nationalism is that it has all sorts of very good arguments against it.

But also in reality, the only form of democratic representation present is at the level of the nation.

So in effect, the criticism becomes one about democracy being bad because it leads to nationalism, which is bad. We need more trade agreements to reign this tendency in with the power of the free international market.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

It was created through a UN mandate after Palestine was governed as an LoN mandate, wasn't really British territory.
it was stationed with british troops, LoN was just a meeting room

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Europeans were really anti-semitic with pogroms and expulsions and all kinds of brutality against Jews for centuries, then they continued the same as they'd always done but worse with the holocaust.

I suspect Europeans will continue to find reasons to be outraged by Jews and want to see their one safe country wiped out.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hodgepodge posted:

See, the thing about nationalism is that it has all sorts of very good arguments against it.

But also in reality, the only form of democratic representation present is at the level of the nation.

So in effect, the criticism becomes one about democracy being bad because it leads to nationalism, which is bad. We need more trade agreements to reign this tendency in with the power of the free international market.

Liberal capitalist democracy is not the ultimate form of government though. I'm not sure how anyone can think that in earnest after 9/11, 2008 crash and now Trump.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

what is this absolute trash

democracy is great, nationalism is trash, full communism now

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

rudatron posted:

what is this absolute trash

democracy is great, nationalism is trash, full communism now

democracy is something which in present day power structures exists exclusively at the level of nations

"nations" are bad, "government" is bad; that these are in fact the institutions of democracy is surely a coincidence

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
'nations' are an imaginary concept that perpetuates petty tribalistic tendencies

democracy exists today as a form of state control, with the boundaries between states being formed by arbitrary histories of inbreed royalty and dumb poo poo wars, along with some geographic barriers

states created nations, not the other way around

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at everyone serious posting at hakimashou

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bring back the celtic church

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jose posted:

lol at everyone serious posting ever

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

rudatron posted:

'nations' are an imaginary concept that perpetuates petty tribalistic tendencies

democracy exists today as a form of state control, with the boundaries between states being formed by arbitrary histories of inbreed royalty and dumb poo poo wars, along with some geographic barriers

The state too, is a terrible thing. This was discovered conveniently as democratic control seriously threatened capital's hold on it.

Does the thought of the state owning industry terrify you? If not, why not? Is not the privatization of state owned industries not a great blow for freedom against this beast which creates and perpetuates petty tribalism?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

hakimashou posted:

Europeans were really anti-semitic with pogroms and expulsions and all kinds of brutality against Jews for centuries, then they continued the same as they'd always done but worse with the holocaust.

I suspect Europeans will continue to find reasons to be outraged by Jews and want to see their one safe country wiped out.

I mean, you're right up until the end there. It's the classic mistake of equating antisemitism with anti-Zionism.

Jose posted:

lol at everyone serious posting at hakimashou

That's how we roll in Day Crew.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kurtofan posted:

bring back the celtic church

bring back 'anging

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I mean, you're right up until the end there. It's the classic mistake of equating antisemitism with anti-Zionism.

its hakimashou

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

MikeCrotch posted:

bring back 'anging

national service followed by hanging if you survive

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

rudatron posted:

Don't you think that's quite a eurocentric view of the development of nations? :dukedog:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

The state too, is a terrible thing. This was discovered conveniently as democratic control seriously threatened capital's hold on it.

Does the thought of the state owning industry terrify you? If not, why not? Is not the privatization of state owned industries not a great blow for freedom against this beast which creates and perpetuates petty tribalism?
states are an organizational structure, they don't have an immune response and there's no reason they can't be used for the benefit of workers - and indeed state owned industries can do that (and their privatization is just a way to extract more rents from ordinary people)

i don't know what you're angle is but your technique is weak sauce

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
They'll love that metaphor I'm sure https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/879254567271247873

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
alternate title:

dup & tories getting it on like a house on fire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

pener where should you be moving back to since you're american and clearly believe you shouldn't be there?

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

If Protestants wanted to be considered native to the island, their ancestors should have murdered a lot more Catholics.

Kinda weird to privilege that sort of thing.

Baron Corbyn posted:

according to the rules established in this thread, as the English didn't manage to wipe out our culture, I'm morally allowed to car bomb you until you leave or assimilate like whatever English ancestors I may have had did. Better start working on your pronunciation of the 'll' sound, boyo.

This thread seriously needs to read Fanon, because you're all laboring under the delusion that the relationship between the colonizer and the colonized is like being an inoffensive expat working in some foreign country, or the Pennsylvania Dutch. The problem of colonialism is fundamentally one of domination, and if you don't get that Northern Ireland of the 20th century was still a British colony carved out of Ireland, in which the natives were oppressed by British settlers - then you're too fully indoctrinated into the ideology of imperialism.

You are all liberals.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you didn't answer my question

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

you didn't answer my question

It's literally the same thing alt right guys ask whenever the subject of reparations comes up. Such an idiotic and reactionary question doesn't deserve to be respected with a serious response, no less because you're grossly smearing my argument as one in favor of ethnic cleansing - rather than one in defense of violent resistance against the occupier.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

They brought them the shruberry?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol if you think anyone buys the dodge you just did

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
why is it that everyone else except me is wrong

it's a really weird coincidence

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's literally the same thing alt right guys ask whenever the subject of reparations comes up. Such an idiotic and reactionary question doesn't deserve to be respected with a serious response, no less because you're grossly smearing my argument as one in favor of ethnic cleansing - rather than one in defense of violent resistance against the occupier.

just like you're doing right now by living in america. makes u think

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

why is it that everyone else except me is wrong

it's a really weird coincidence

that feel when highly vaccinated

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've got nothing against America paying reparations to the descendents of slaves.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
autism is a real life superpower and autists are like the mutants in the comic books

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I mean the civil war atoned for it morally but it didnt really do anything to make up for it to the people it affected.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

just like you're doing right now by living in america. makes u think

If the Standing Rock Sioux had responded to corporate encroachment with violence then it would certainly be counterproductive, but I'd never condemn it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is there any genocide tankies won't defend

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

is there any genocide tankies won't defend

Likening a dirty war like The Troubles to a genocide is literally liberalism.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You know who whines about liberalism in America?

Donald Trump fans.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

And anyway, if you really want to know where I'd have to move back to - I'm Scots-Irish :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol at some autistic tanky denying the genocide that forced my ancestors to move north america just lol