Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Man it feels good when your tiny % play of splitting Pyroblast and REB matters. (Opp didn't know about the Pyroblast, they were guessing based on the mana I left up/having REBed them last game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Anger with Swans out is loving gross.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mezzanon posted:

Round 3 (last weeks) vs infect: Lose 0-2

Going in to this match I thought this was a slam dunk win for me. Lose the die roll. Hubris is real.
Warning: long post, and an incredibly inconsistent use between numbers and written numerals.

(Also, I dig swans but somewhat uninteractive decks that I dig I often tire of. Where's swans on the sweet/interactive spectrum?)

I thought this against elves tonight while playing grixis death's shadow/delver. Game 1 I won after terminating his other elf when he played shaman of the hunt when I was at 2.

Game two I mulled to 6 and kept 2 thought scours, serum visions, bolt, push, and a fetch. Scried nonland to bottom, fetched a watery grave, cast all my cantrips, and then I died to an elvish archdruid while staring at my only land watery grave in play and push and bolt in hand.

Game 3 he played a choke when I had a tapped watery grave and steam vents. It was still a close game since I fetched a blood crypt and two playable death's shadows plus a tasigur but I wasn't realistically getting there. Opponent had been in Vegas and said it was sweet hope you goons that were there enjoyed it.

Also played B/W tokens piloted by a newer, younger teenager (he had braces) and he made a couple big costly misplays which never feels good for either player. The most notable of which was when he had a Gideon, two knights, vault of the archangel, four other lands, and two cards in hand against my tasigur and 5/5ish death's shadow. He casts thoughtseize, whiffs, swings with knights, I block, and he sheepishly plays his land second main phase.

Ended up winning the match but I assume it's a rough matchup. Lingering souls is a beating. My friend played B/W tokens several years ago and it was a horrendous matchup for me on grixis twin or delver.

Then beat naya burn sans meows in three quite close games. Opponent said he was mainly a modo player and he missed a decent amount of triggers; you don't have to enforce your opponent's mandatory, positive triggers anymore, right? I let him him catch them after what would normally be too late except for an eidolon one he never noticed. It wouldn't have mattered but I just want to make sure I have the current ruling correct.

Then went to time in the mirrorish against the stock grixis shadow list. The board is stalled and on turns 3 I kolaghans command him to 2. Turns 5 I kcommand him again. He stubborn commands. I have the slight board advantage and show him my hand of dismember (at 12 life) and snapcaster with five lands in play. He refuses to concede even though a good amount of his denials and snaps are in the gy. 3-1 is worth ~22 in credit and 2-1-1 is the same as 2-2, or $5 credit.

Prisoner's dilemma!

So some factors:

-This is my main LGS, mtgcardmarket, but they do well for themselves.

-My opponent was generally a chill guy, had moved to Chicago a couple weeks ago from Philadelphia, lives in my neighborhood, and is down to cube.

-I was way more likely to win.

So gently caress him we both get two packs or five credit. Anything above 2-2 (or 2-1-1 apparently) I'll get credit but otherwise I'll play the scratchers. Contrary to my usual luck I managed to open a good gay sealed pool between hazoret the pervert and gloryhole bringer.

Got some street wraiths coming my way via suicidestephen so this will probably be the last run of the delver version, rip. I think the delvers are worse but not by much.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Warning: long post, and an incredibly inconsistent use between numbers and written numerals.

(Also, I dig swans but somewhat uninteractive decks that I dig I often tire of. Where's swans on the sweet/interactive spectrum?)

I also switch between numbers and written numerals it's all good.

Swans is a 10/10 on the sweet scale, and a 4-7 on the interactive scale (depending on if it's a control or creature deck)

Against hard control decks you have so few spells that everything you do gets countered. Against creature decks you are king of interaction because you are the 49 shock deck.

Anger with swans out is the filthiest thing.

And comboing out in response to removal is hilarious.

I'm 5-1 in practice matches against deaths shadow. T1 molten vortex will often get you there and the deck has no way to deal with a successfully resolved seismic assault.

But sometimes you just lose to your deck. It's super fun at least, and it has weird lines.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

I'm 5-1 in practice matches against deaths shadow. T1 molten vortex will often get you there and the deck has no way to deal with a successfully resolved seismic assault.

But sometimes you just lose to your deck. It's super fun at least, and it has weird lines.

It seems like there are so many more holes in the Grixis matchup where Abrupt Decay would solve alot of these problems. Why did so many people switch to Grixis (besides the obvious "much cheaper" reason)? Stubborn Denial can't be worth having a big hole against the RIP/Leyline plan.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

It seems like there are so many more holes in the Grixis matchup where Abrupt Decay would solve alot of these problems. Why did so many people switch to Grixis (besides the obvious "much cheaper" reason)? Stubborn Denial can't be worth having a big hole against the RIP/Leyline plan.

I agree. Also traverse is the best card.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Nah it's actually snapcaster.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

-This is my main LGS, mtgcardmarket, but they do well for themselves.

come play legacy tonight

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Your 8 1 mana discard spells generally match up pretty well against your opponent's RIP (especially since most decks only run 2 in the sb). They can just draw it off the top and throw it down, but unless it comes down early you may have already stuck a tasigur or gurmag and then RIP is really just making your snapcasters bad. They can't deal with Leyline of the Void, but neither does abrupt decay. Are there really a lot of decks playing Leyline of the Void, though?

Anyway, I think there are two reasons the Grixis version is popular. 1) Snapcaster is fantastic in it. He has access to cheap counters, removal, and card draw, and you have K Command to get him back for more. Basically you trade a card that gets whatever creature you want (Traverse) for one that gets whatever instant or sorcery you want, but leaves a 2/1 behind. 2) It's good to have maindeck threats that dodge Fatal Push.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

A big reason is also Stubborn Denial and Ceremonious Rejection. Some Jund lists even tried splashing blue only for Stubborn Denial. Last week I (on Eldrazi Tron, of course) played against an abzan DS deck, and my Karns, Ugins and All is Dusts were impossible for my opponent to deal with, whereas had I played against grixis, a Ceremonious Rejection would have blown me out of the water.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I need to pester my friend for the deck list, but he used to have (and loan me on occasion) a Jeskai Nahiri Control deck that also ran 2 Seismic, 3-4 swans, 1 Dakmor Salvage, and a lot of maindeck Angers.

It was a hoot.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Turbo Depths looks fun to play, anyone here play it?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

come play legacy tonight

I have not intact burn and not quite complete nor intact grixis delver.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

I have not intact burn and not quite complete nor intact grixis delver.

well it's really fuckin' hot out anyway so I might not be going either

always be closing posted:

i played it online a little bit. it's bad. all the weaknesses of Turbo Eldrazi without the raw power, though it is faster. it is sweet to fart out a turn 2 20/20 so if that's your goal, don't let me, a fat nerd on the internet, convince you otherwise, but I would not take it to a tournament that I had the intention of winning matches of legacy in

I'm probably going to play some matches with that BUG control list ft. Marit Lage I posted last page, but that's a very different deck

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Please don't fat shame.

It's bad and has a weakness to Sanctum Prelate on 7.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

:thunk:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

For the low, low cost of infinity mana you can draw your deck!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Man if that God just had the indestructible and not a creature without devotion clauses from keranos it would be playable!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's kinda funny that the way Glimpse of Nature is worded would kill you (if it were on EtB and not cast), but Beck//Call doesn't. Beck confirmed as strictly better than Glimpse of Nature?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Beck pitches to Commandeer and is in the same colors as Mystic Snake so

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Beck pitches to Commandeer and is in the same colors as Mystic Snake so

and pitches to a disrupting shoal to stop the terminate on your 6 mana 4/4 holy poo poo

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Glimpse is on cast, Beck is ETB

it's kinda funny that the way Glimpse of Nature is worded would kill you (if it were on EtB and not cast), but Beck//Call doesn't. Beck confirmed as strictly better than Glimpse of Nature?

oh lol

I'm the guy that brought bubble hulk to FNM & I'd probably brew up something stupid around this if I had the lands (Scalding, Misty)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

and pitches to a disrupting shoal to stop the terminate on your 6 mana 4/4 holy poo poo

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh poo poo am i forgetting how the new split card CMC rules work

e: the answer is yes, I am

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 22, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

oh poo poo am i forgetting how the new split card CMC rules work

e: the answer is yes, I am

Yes you are.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
there's always modern staple spell snare to protect your 6 mana mortal god

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
This new god is the best thing to pair with Beck since Nigel Godrich.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
It'd be worth it just to see the look on their faces when you untap with Locust God & Beck->Serum Visions Faithless Looting

myDad fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 22, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

myDad posted:

Serum Visions

Death first.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

uninverted posted:

This new god is the best thing to pair with Beck since Nigel Godrich.

Just posting to say I appreciated this joke

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

You can't beat a real lands deck. They generally have Karakas and Maze, as well as infinite wastelands. It's a less resilient lands deck without alternate win conditions.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In Modern tonight, I was playing RW Prison and beat an RG Tron deck in game two by keeping an Urza's Tower tapped with Ajani Vengeant. My opponent kept drawing copies of Ulamog and wasn't able to find any Tron lands to get him to ten mana while I built up Ajani to destroy his lands and Nahiri for Emrakul. He conceded the turn before I could use the ultimate abilities of both planeswalkers on my next turn.

Seems good.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
20th at NYSE V on punishing oath, prizes to top 16 rrrip. Hard cast griselbrand twice to victory with only orchards, a jet, and a lotus as black mana producers so that was fun. Was anyone else in the thread there?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hen3HuF1P7k

Besides Lepore doing this. I mean, it wouldn't be "too" bad to unban Jace right? Also I think there should be a "testing" type temporary unban for modern. Like "we're gonna temp unban these cards to see what they do to the game, and if it's bad, then we reban" like a 6 month period or something.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Haha no, people wanting a Jace unban in modern are definitely delusional. They're acting like you would just be playing a Jace on turn 4 and nothing before that. Realistically, you would be playing Thoughtseize, Fatal Push, then snap back the Push and then slamming a Jace. It would warp the metagame in a way such that you have to play a completely linear deck that can afford to ignore Jace or you have to play Jace yourself. You'd have no reason to play any other 4-drop, realistically.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Also a Jace unban without a huuuge supply boost would cause it to be like a 200 dollar card overnight.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bonus posted:

You'd have no reason to play any other 4-drop, realistically.

Lile all the ones that get played now, such as

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Also a Jace unban without a huuuge supply boost would cause it to be like a 200 dollar card overnight.

(This is the real reason anyone says they want Jace unbanned btw - pure fygmism)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

suicidesteve posted:

Lile all the ones that get played now, such as

*Pulls rope*
*Thousands of copies of Thought-Knot Seer fall from the ceiling like confetti*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces