Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So what political party should I join in Queensland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Start your own and run as an independent.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
I hear the LNP are cool and good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

So what political party should I join in Queensland.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We demand doctors that are adequate!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We demand doctors that are adequate!

:mediocre:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We will deliver improve law and order

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

We will deliver improve law and order

Resurrect jerry orbach

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Detainees at manus got knifed, waiting for medivac (if ever)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Lid posted:

Timeline doesnt line up.

quote:

GNSW position on Gonski, May 3rd

fuckin hell m8

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Birdstrike posted:

At present we're in this sort of weird equilibrium position where the RBA can't raise interest rates because the economy and wages are underperforming but it can't raise rates (by say .5%) because the housing market will tank.

While this dynamic is in place cheap credit will keep house prices high, but at some point external factors will tank the markets while the RBA sits on its hands. Unfortunately the inevitable shock event could be a while away.

Interest rates are already rising on the international bond markets which raises the cost of borrowing for our banks because they borrow money through those to lend to people. Our banks aren't just going to sit there and cop a hit to their revenue so they'll pass on those rate rises on to people who borrow from them.

freebooter posted:

Looking at the graphs, Japanese land did fall back to the mean in the same amount of time it went up - which I guess is what a deflating rather than bursting bubble is.

But the way people talk about the Australian bubble, the new line is that it will plateau - in which case I guess things are meant to level out in the future once wages and inflation catch up? - or that it will fall by "at most 10 or 15%" but as anybody can tell you just by looking at a graph, even if median prices drop by 10-15% they will still be insanely out of whack with wages, historical prices, or any other reasonable measure. The discourse has acknowledged the bubble, or at least acknowledged that housing has become unaffordable, but very few people are saying (yet) that it will drop back down by the same amount it skyrocketed.

I suppose it's plausible that we really are seeing a "new normal" and that median house prices will now forever be 10x the median annual salary; that rather than a typical asset bubble, it's an unprecedented redistribution of wealth caused by an unprecedentedly large and prosperous generation. But that's a far bleaker proposition than the bubble actually crashing, even if it plunges us into recession for a decade.

EoinCannon posted:

I don't know much about economics but are real estate bubbles different from other kinds of bubbles due to the fact that every person needs a dwelling and the amount of people will always (for the forseeable future) increase? It's not like other speculative bubbles where the commodity has no real value and it bursts dropping prices down to zero/gently caress all, like the tech bubble or the Dutch Tulip mania.

The number of investors relying on a capital gain make our situation unique. A plateau or slow decline risks causing a rapid sell off by investors looking to cash in before their capital gain is whittled away. It all stems from negative gearing and the capital gain discount, most of these investors are making losses to reduce their effective income in the short term and cash in eventually when they sell their properties for a big, fat, favourably taxed profit. Without that capital gain at the end they've just been making losses for a decade or so, so you can imagine they'll be pretty quick to sell if they think the market has peaked.

From memory something like 40% of properties in Australia are owned by investors. A sizable chunk of those are bought using interest only loans, which leaves the investor dependent on rising house prices in order to not go completely underwater.

So in some respects the housing market is like a speculative bubble - they've speculated that prices will keep rising forever and left themselves horribly exposed in the event that it doesn't. I guess in some ways it's worse than a share market bubble because where most of those leave you with just a bunch of worthless shares (assuming you haven't borrowed to buy in), this has the potential to leave people with debt worth far more than the asset i.e. less than nothing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Quantum Mechanic posted:

fuckin hell m8

read what was quoted mate, the position isnt the GNSW six weeks ago it was LEE six weeks ago. if you're going to continue this bad faith bullshit please just leave in on facebook with the rest, or continue to say "everyone could see it" in a folder draw guarded by a sign labelled beware of the panther

quote:

The Greens party room is considering expelling New South Wales senator Lee Rhiannon because she has already been censured twice for breaking party rules.

The federal party's nine other senators and MPs are furious with Senator Rhiannon for what they argue was deceptive conduct over the Government's school funding legislation.

Senator Rhiannon is accused of breaking the Greens party rules and acting in bad faith by failing to tell her colleagues that she had decided to campaign and vote against the bill, while other senators were still in official negotiations with the Government.

A Greens partyroom meeting via teleconference today did not reach a decision on what, if any, punishment should be imposed, and another meeting is likely to be held this week.

But the ABC understands that the extraordinary step of expulsion from the party room is being considered, because previous censures have not changed Senator Rhiannon's behaviour.

Even if Senator Rhiannon was expelled from the party room she would remain a Greens member.

Senator Rhiannon has denied that she thwarted the Greens negotiations with the Government over school funding.

"It was the Turnbull Government's decision to do a deal with the crossbench senators that killed off negotiations with the Greens," she said in a statement.

"At all times my actions on education have been faithful to the Greens policy and process."

The Greens Left Renewal faction has also expressed its dismay at the treatment of Senator Rhiannon.

"We are disappointed in the party room's eagerness to cruelly and publicly undermine NSW's Greens senator for simply taking the position of her party, and a policy the Greens took to an election, into parliament," it said in a statement.

Lid fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 26, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/879266366787690497

Who's the biggest tosser in this video?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Lee's position is the GNSW position
The GNSW position was made up 6 weeks ago
Therefore you're literally being pissflaps

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Lots of explanation...

Thanks!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I so want to see a government slap down a ban on residential investment property. Just BAM no more owning residential property you don't live in. Oh, this property you own is classified as residential and you don't live in it? Well you better sell it to someone who will right sharpish or it's government property for free and we'll auction it off with no minimum, or turn it into social housing.

You'd be able to see the toff meltdowns from space.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Futuresight posted:

I so want to see a government slap down a ban on residential investment property. Just BAM no more owning residential property you don't live in. Oh, this property you own is classified as residential and you don't live in it? Well you better sell it to someone who will right sharpish or it's government property for free and we'll auction it off with no minimum, or turn it into social housing.

You'd be able to see the toff meltdowns from space.

You can probably achieve more or less the same thing without turfing every tenant in the country onto the street by implementing a Great Big New Tax on vacant properties

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Aesculus posted:

Lee's position is the GNSW position
The GNSW position was made up 6 weeks ago

Except they bound her five days ago, and the argument was "she was bound nothing could be done". Either she'd been arguing she didn't know what was happening for the last six weeks, or she was deliberately lying to the party and not presenting in good faith hence why the nine other federal members told her to go jump. She never told them she was going to consciously oppose, she broke their rules, they're mad at her for acting in bad faith and lying to them. Calling it a pissflaps is a stretch and everyone now saying "oh she was always going to do this" seems to be acting on knowledge they had that the 9 others didn't or that she specifically misrepresented to them.

Edit: not aided by earlier Quantum saying blame us, not her, because we bound her which was five days ago. There is something fishy as hell there, and either we accept Lee has been mislead by the NSW Greens and is going to take the punishment for it, or both were misleading and she's going to take the fall while they argue NO DON'T BLAME LEE IT WAS USSSSSSS.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
That is less fun.

But I see your point on the tenants so we can just give them the right to refuse sale of the property they live in. So every rental property would revert to social housing unless the tenants wanted to move out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I don't see how house prices "plateauing" is supposed to fix things, without endless growth where will the endless profit come from?

"Fix things" implies that people see a problem in the first place. When a majority of citizens are Gen X or older and are doing fairly nicely out of rising property prices, they don't care that the younger generation are locked out of the market. If prices remain at the $1 million plus mark, they can just pass their own million-dollar brick shithouse onto their kids when they die, and all the poorer people whose parents never got into the market remain locked out and nobody cares...

...although I suppose then when you're splitting a $1 million property amongst two or three kids, and they have to sell it to divvy it up, they only get half a mil each? So in this non-bubble bursting scenario they can then only afford a smaller house or an apartment themselves, and then maybe it takes, like, two generations for wages and inflation to catch up to plateauing house prices in the year 2060, at which point an ordinary twentysomething on ordinary wages can buy a house again. 2060 sounds about right.

Except I don't think this will actually happen because there are far more factors at play in propping up the bubble than just the iron willpower and belief of the boomers.

So in some respects the housing market is like a speculative bubble - they've speculated that prices will keep rising forever and left themselves horribly exposed in the event that it doesn't. I guess in some ways it's worse than a share market bubble because where most of those leave you with just a bunch of worthless shares (assuming you haven't borrowed to buy in), this has the potential to leave people with debt worth far more than the asset i.e. less than nothing.

Aren't all bubbles speculative bubbles? This one certainly is - as you point out, the prevalence of interest-only mortgages alone is proof of that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
IMO make mortgages like HECS, and wipe out CG discounts and negative gearing entirely.

Of course people with the means to do so will still be able to invest, but it'll put an end to twats with a few bob in equity from chaining multiple mortgages and turning the whole thing into a loving joke.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The shame of it is that when it all collapses like a house of cards you can guarantee the government of the day will ride up and bail all the shithead property flippers out of their millions of dollars in debt and they'll probably increase HECS repayments or something to pay for it all

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Aesculus posted:

loving steady on mate, Lid's got a while to go to master that concern trolling / just asking questions / pedantry that pissflaps has mastered to a loving art form

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The shame of it is that when it all collapses like a house of cards you can guarantee the government of the day will ride up and bail all the shithead property flippers out of their millions of dollars in debt and they'll probably increase HECS repayments or something to pay for it all

I've never marched a protest in my life but I'd loving march for this

edit - god that makes me as bad as the boomers doesn't it? go ahead and gently caress up the planet but don't you dare touch my bank balance

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Keep going.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

swan b dent greens dish

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Red Dingbats Hens News

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

You can probably achieve more or less the same thing without turfing every tenant in the country onto the street by implementing a Great Big New Tax on vacant properties

Vacant properties in Paris get taxed at 60% of the expected rental return. :getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Bandt Whinges Redness

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Do ones for "Disband the New South Wales greens", I need a U to make dingus.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Last nights mediawatch is worth a watch. It's on the lovely, lovely response of Australian columnists to the Grenfell Tower fire.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't watch it, as it's both News Corpse and Bolt, but I'm guessing there's no winner. Only losers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Last nights mediawatch is worth a watch. It's on the lovely, lovely response of Australian columnists to the Grenfell Tower fire.

Umm, every mediawatch is worth a watch.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We'll start to see all levels of government shift their policy decisions based on this data any day now

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looking forward to PHON response

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The swamping has begun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007