Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
recent history shows they aren't going to give away a marquee match on a show that's a guaranteed sellout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spermgod posted:

i don't see Ibushi making the final as a freelancer

I see Ibushi being the guy who costs Omega a spot in the final setting up the Dome match. I wonder if he's also close to signing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ibushi will wrestle 9 matches in the g1

in 2017 to date he has only wrestled 11 matches, 7 of which have been for new japan

i don't think he's gonna sign any sort of deal but to the extent that he's an active wrestler, he's basically a new japan guy at this point

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Spermgod posted:

I don't see that as much of a problem. Minoru Suzuki has been a freelancer his entire career and yet he's been a focal point for the whole "Try to keep NOAH relevant" initiative and gotten plenty of title shots. But NJPW knows that in between plenty serious matches he just wants to occasionally beat up a mummy, much like Ibushi in between serious matches he occasionally wants to shoot rockets out of his rear end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

recent history shows they aren't going to give away a marquee match on a show that's a guaranteed sellout

Tanahashi/Nakamura and Naito/Tanahashi are pretty marquee. Neither was quite as big at that moment as they'd be before or later, but still big name matches.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Tanahashi/Nakamura and Naito/Tanahashi are pretty marquee. Neither was quite as big at that moment as they'd be before or later, but still big name matches.

i don't remember but i don't think those shows sold out as far in advance as last years did

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spermgod posted:

When exactly did they sign Kojima in 2010 and when did it become public?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

i don't remember but i don't think those shows sold out as far in advance as last years did

Given the dome show attempt in 14 they had to be supremely confident of a sellout in 15. It's G1 we might get something kind of weird name wise, or we might get two big stars, there's just no trend lately.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
It's kind of hard to figure out a final along the lines of last year's since there's not a lot of other guys at Goto's "credible threat to main eventers but not a marquee guy and also can deliver a great match" level. I guess Elgin, Suzuki and Ibushi would be the closest and out of those Elgin is the only one I could see in the final. So I guess i'm predicting a Naito vs. Big Mike final.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I think that was Shibata's spot until he got hurt.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

😩

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I hope he doesn't come back, dude needs to rest. Sounds like he was pulling a Stan Hansen for quite a while already

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

SLUM KING posted:

they run Tokyo constantly. They're kinda burning out the city and only the more noteworthy shows are selling out at the moment.
Is wrestling such a niche sport in japan that in a city of 13 million people they can't sell out a 2,000 capacity arena? Even with the frequent shows you'd still expect it to do well.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Is wrestling such a niche sport in japan that in a city of 13 million people they can't sell out a 2,000 capacity arena?

Yes.

But you are right. The attendance at the Kizuna Road show was miserable

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He was seeing double from the BEGINNING of his career? :gonk:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
And yet he insisted on doing those cringe inducing headbutts.

I love Shibata and it sucks that this is going on, but he's kind of an idiot.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Someone on twitter said posted pics of an example of what it looks like for people with Shibata's condition

Normal eyesight:

Shibata:

Welp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God and he was wrestling like that? :stonk:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't Stan Hansen wrestle like that or was his blindness less bad?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Didn't Stan Hansen wrestle like that or was his blindness less bad?

I think Stan Hansen has full view, but due to shortsightedness everything is very blurry. So he knows he is decapitating someone in the ring, he just doesn't know who it is until his lariat actually connects.

Shibata's eyesight though, holy poo poo.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
https://twitter.com/BulletClubItal/status/878460929364701185

Puts Okada's to shame..

TO SHAME!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'd like to see something from Cody that doesn't completely reinforce my belief that he's overrated, but that GIF does him no favors.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Helicity posted:

I'd like to see something from Cody that doesn't completely reinforce my belief that he's overrated, but that GIF does him no favors.

I totally bought into him during the Rhodes family vs The Shield feud, but since then he's been a complete waste. That said, it behooves you to make it look bad when you steal another guy's big move to taunt him, only makes the other guy look better.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cody didn't do the best on the move cause he was slow on it but also Daniels sell was also less than stellar too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

remusclaw posted:

I totally bought into him during the Rhodes family vs The Shield feud, but since then he's been a complete waste. That said, it behooves you to make it look bad when you steal another guy's big move to taunt him, only makes the other guy look better.

I liked the initial Goldust and Cody run (before Stardust). I've always liked Cody Rhodes for that matter. Dashing Cody Rhodes was great, the bags over peoples faces gimmick was awesome.. I loved when he wore the mask because he thought he was hideous despite the fact the mask was clear and you could clearly tell he wasn't disfigured. He's always been talented in the ring, but I've never really seen him as the "face" of a company. Certainly not a company like New Japan.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

IC belt has been refurbished.

I'll just leave this here:

Thrifting Day! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 25, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kizuna Road
June 26th 2017 at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Syota Umino vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
Tomoyuki Oka. vs. Katsuya Kitamura
Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, and Hirai Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi, and TAKA)
TenCozy, Nagata, and Nakanishi vs. CHAOS (Goto, Ishii, YTR, and Jado)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Gedo) vs. Suzuki-gun (Davey Boy Smith Jr and El Desperado)
Tana, Taguchi, Makabe, Juice, Finlay vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon
NEVER Openweight Championship:Minoru Suzuki(c) vs. YOSHI-HASHI

2nd of third Kizuna Rd Korakuens is tomorrow headlined by Suzuki vs. YOSHI. We'll also find out the G1 blocks

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Yoshi's gonna loving die.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That Taguchi Japan/LIJ match looks like it'd be pretty fun for a 10-man clusterfuck. Nothing else on the card grabs my interest though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

G1 Clmax 27

A Block

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Togi Makabe
Tomohiro Ishii
Hirooki Goto
YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale
Yuji Nagata
Zack Sabre Jr
Kota Ibushi
Tetsuya Naito

B Block

Kazuchika Okada
Toru Yano
Satoshi Kojima
Michael Elgin
Juice Robinson
Tama Tonga
SANADA
EVIL
Minoru Suzuki
Kenny Omega

Looks like you can count on Okada vs. Omega III as the main event of the second Sumo Hall night.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 26, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God they actually put them in the same block :aaa:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Elgin and Naito are in different blocks, so Elgin's going to beat Naito at Long Beach. Okada/Omega III will absolutely go to a draw, but Omega will advance to the finals nevertheless. Elgin and possibly Yano will beat Okada. IDK about the rest, but Ishii's probably going to get his win back against Naito. Great lineup anyway.

e: also, I made a wee prediction bracket for the US title tournament for the hell of it, so we can see how remarkably wrong most of us are at the end http://challonge.com/fj71sljk

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 26, 2017

Takuan
May 6, 2007

They shoulda had Marty Scurll or Will Ospreay face Zack Sabre Jr. That way there'd be one pair of Canadians, one pair of Japanese, one pair of Brits, and one pair of Actual Americans competing for this new US Title.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Omega will win at G1 since it isn't for the title, earning another title shot at KOPW and then lose that again

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ibushi omega final

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Congrats on your G1 win, Naito

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I cannot wait to see Fale sell ZSJ's offence

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gif Probst posted:

ibushi omega final

This please.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

I cannot wait to see Fale sell ZSJ's offence

This is probably a 6 minute match where zsj gets like 80 moves in, rack bombed, pinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Chris James 2 posted:

Congrats on your G1 win, Naito

He does look like the favorite now given how the blocks broke down, but there's enough question to where it should be interesting in terms of booking. If Omega and Okada draw again who beats Okada to set up KoPW? I'm kind of hoping for Kojima and could see that.

Some really drat great matches coming up , I'm hype.

• Locked thread