Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Augus posted:

Noclip uploaded the second part of their FFXIV documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoOI5R-6u8k

Nice. I enjoyed the first documentary and it made me go back and watch fall and rise; I played 1.0 for 2 months post YoshiP and I still can't believe that game was a thing that existed.

Thumbtacks posted:

WHM feels REALLY good at 70. Was dicking around in Emanation EX and I felt like I had an answer to basically every situation. Granted, the 70 ability seems entirely useless and I don't remember stacking confessions...ever. But other than that it was great. Still not sure which abilities are her tank busters though.

I just use them right away at one stack if they'll do some amount of effective healing; consider it some free amount of mana saved; trying to baby sit it beyond that just results in you forgetting about it and the confessions falling off. It's not like the ability has a long cooldown either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

His Nhaama is actually most certainly Yugiri maybe.

My prediction is dude's gonna fail to find a Nhaama over the next few patches, and found the new clan of AGTOW (Azims Going Their Own Way).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blattdorf posted:

His Nhaama is actually the dude who got wounded.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blattdorf posted:

yugiri's a raen though that really wouldn't work

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
DPS was such a good choice as my first 70. All the extra main scenario quest xp really bridges the gap of you never being able to queue for dungeons.

Now for healer/tank I don't need the quest exp because it's literally just insta-queue for the highest dungeon I can do -> get half a level.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Baut is the best character and he needs more recognition.

I did all the sidequests but am bad at remembering names. :( Who was Baut again?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ibblebibble posted:

I did all the sidequests but am bad at remembering names. :( Who was Baut again?

The ex-garlean who wanted to turn himself in.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Toshimo posted:

The ex-garlean who wanted to turn himself in.

That was a good sidequest, but I think my favourite one for sheer :3: was the one about the Oronir cook. Or maybe Quarry grandpa.

Basically all the sidequest chains were good.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

That is terrifying, Skull.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

Noclip uploaded the second part of their FFXIV documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoOI5R-6u8k

This is really good stuff. I loved YoshiP talking about his management style during the rebuild--"I really strongly don't recommend that style." God, that two year period must've been hell to work through.

I also enjoy how candid he's being about how bad some aspects of 1.0 were, like the controls.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blattdorf posted:

My very first thought when he brought up the subject was that I was going to have to hook those two up at some point.

He believes the sun god is incarnated in the moon tribe, so I guess it'd make some sort of sense if the moon goddess incarnated in the sun tribe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, Samurai is one of those times when I feel like a "flavor of the month" job is actually going to stay really popular. It's not just cool-looking and strong, it's also really fun and engaging to play. I'm sure some people will move back to the job they played before, or go to another one, but I wouldn't be surprised if Samurai stayed one of the most popular jobs in the game long-term. (Well, unless it gets nerfed into the ground or something, but I really doubt it's that overpowered, at least going by initial sims.)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just finished the ARR story quests and drat that was a loving wild ride.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Magnai's Nhaama is absolutely Sadu____. All the tropes are there:

Both are headstrong warriors who thirst for battle; they're perfect for each other.
When he required everyone to show up so he could test them as his Nhaama, she gave him the middle finger and didn't show up.
All they do is throw barbs at each other when together, and about them to others when not; like schoolyard infatuation.

Basically SE has to go out of their way to subvert the expectation. Or not follow up at all.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

SettingSun posted:

Magnai's Nhaama is absolutely Sadu____. All the tropes are there:

Both are headstrong warriors who thirst for battle; they're perfect for each other.
When he required everyone to show up so he could test them as his Nhaama, she gave him the middle finger and didn't show up.
All they do is throw barbs at each other when together, and about them to others when not; like schoolyard infatuation.

Basically SE has to go out of their way to subvert the expectation. Or not follow up at all.

This is kind of what I'm expecting. I don't really think we're going to spend enough time with the Xaela going forward. Not that they'll completely vanish, but they're playing third or fourth fiddle to the much bigger events of Stormblood.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Bare minimum they'll get a hard mode for Bardam's Mettle that has a resolution to Magnai's Nhaama. They and Azim Steppes as a whole seems like a real fan favorite so I wouldn't be surprised if we get some long side quests or something with the Xeala in a late cycle patch like 4.3 or 4.4 or something.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just cleared the second EX primal last night via a bizarrely competent learning party.
I was one of the two scholars healing it.
Nerds freaking out about Scholar being dead are so wrong, so very very very VERY wrong.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OWLS! posted:

Just cleared the second EX primal last night via a bizarrely competent learning party.
I was one of the two scholars healing it.
Nerds freaking out about Scholar being dead are so wrong, so very very very VERY wrong.

Our static scholar's opinion is that scholar is a lot more boring now but still plenty functional.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can make them three times overpowered in bare numbers but I still won't like playing SB SCH (same for SMN), this argument is dumb.

Criticism is not invalid because "numbers are good" and "you can beat content with it".

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

Bare minimum they'll get a hard mode for Bardam's Mettle that has a resolution to Magnai's Nhaama. They and Azim Steppes as a whole seems like a real fan favorite so I wouldn't be surprised if we get some long side quests or something with the Xeala in a late cycle patch like 4.3 or 4.4 or something.

I would be totally down for a dungeon whose goal is to help them find their love for each other while we guide them through AoE-dodging puzzles.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

orcane posted:

You can make them three times overpowered in bare numbers but I still won't like playing SB SCH (same for SMN), this argument is dumb.

Criticism is not invalid because "numbers are good" and "you can beat content with it".

IDK, maybe I'm a broken human being, but Heavensward SCH was an overpowered piece of poo poo. Stormblood scholar reminds me much more of ARR scholar, so I'm glad they took this direction with the class.

Bring back virus tho.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A fun bit from the documentary was the GM talking about what it was like to be in charge of spawning in the ridiculous enemy waves in cities during the Dalamud event.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Spamming Broil 2 is Good and Correct For The Meta, and we should all slobber over SE's metaphorical dick for these amazing SCH gameplay enhancements

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brainwrinkle posted:

Spamming Broil 2 is Good and Correct For The Meta, and we should all slobber over SE's metaphorical dick for these amazing SCH gameplay enhancements

Enjoy your mana issues. Also is Broil 2 the new fracture?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

SCH functions fine as a healer, but I miss being able to actually do appreciable damage in dungeons and am probably going to level WHM at some point for that reason.

OWLS! posted:

Enjoy your mana issues. Also is Broil 2 the new fracture?

Broil 2 is a boring spell.

It's high enough potency and it gets the job done, but it's so dull compared to the old gameplay style of "balance 4 dots and a ground AoE".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orcane posted:

The issue isn't that people are saying it's boring, it is that people keep repeatedly saying it literally can't do content/can't keep up with pulls/etc. Which is genuinely 100% wrong. (Doubly so if Paladins are involved which is to be fair largely on Paladins. I did Fist with an actually geared Paladin yesterday and it was like playing HW again, I barely had to heal them and was mostly DPSing.) Nothing's wrong with disliking the changes because you don't like how they play but the "it can't be done" crowd is weird.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The issue isn't that people are saying it's boring, it is that people keep repeatedly saying it literally can't do content/can't keep up with pulls/etc.

I think I've actually seen more people complaining about SCHs whining about being terrible at healing than I have actually seen SCHs whining about being terrible at healing. Most SCHs just mourn the loss of Bane with the occasional salty and vague "CLASS SUX NOW".

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 26, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So WAR. It feels so weird to play them now. 3/4 of their new skills don't help them tank at all, and Shake It Off is marginal in that regard. They have too many beast gauge spenders that have marginal gain, and some (Onslaught) should really generate it instead. Their generators are on weird places in their combos, and there's very little reason to use their enmity/DPS combo as a result.

I hope it gets a little love soon.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SettingSun posted:

So WAR. It feels so weird to play them now. 3/4 of their new skills don't help them tank at all, and Shake It Off is marginal in that regard. They have too many beast gauge spenders that have marginal gain, and some (Onslaught) should really generate it instead. Their generators are on weird places in their combos, and there's very little reason to use their enmity/DPS combo as a result.

I hope it gets a little love soon.

Onslaught is the really strange one to me because if you describe that ability to anyone they assume it's a generator. It doesn't make sense as a spender in any situation.

Ryanbomber posted:

I think I've actually seen more people complaining about SCHs whining about being terrible at healing than I have actually seen SCHs whining about being terrible at healing. Most SCHs just mourn the loss of Bane with the occasional salty and vague "CLASS SUX NOW".

The nerf to dps / dps complexity hits pretty hard and is pretty upsetting to me when I was able to play ARR/HW as a "no GCD left behind!" john madden healer dps. That said, our healing kit is mostly fine but needs some serious tweaks in a numbers patch. I've been mulling this over, and I don't think any of this is unreasonable:
  • Aetherpact is just 'ok'. It has a very long wind up time as the fairy slowly moves to the tank, then does the 2 second animation. If the tank moves out of position and breaks the tether she /will not/ attempt to reconnect it until the tank moves back in range. Ideally, this ability should work like Io in Dota and just immediately cause the fairy to fly to the tank and stay locked to a certain range. It's also notable that the Fey Union potency is misleading because it's not simply a bonus, you're only gaining the difference between Embrace and Fey Union's potency.
  • Excogitation has no notable graphical effect when it goes off and can be hard to track on the party buff list. The cooldown should probably be 40 seconds. It either should last indefinitely (but only 1 out at a time), or it should return something to us if it falls off. More potency compared to Lustrate would make more sense to me.
  • It's hard to tell if Chain Strategem is very good, but I'll wait for more raid parses.
  • Sacred Soil doesn't increase the fairy gauge for some reason, and it needs to. This is mainly an issue now because our playstyle is designed to reward dumping aetherflow as much as we can to have that fairy gauge ready.
  • Filling up the fairy gauge takes over 3 minutes of Aetherflow charges because Quickened Aether is next to worthless. Quickened Aether needs to be reworked somehow.
  • In current content it feels like Eos is effectively mandatory to match the baseline of what AST/WHM have available.
  • The mana economy of Energy Drain feels bad now because of the increased cost of things like Adlo.

On stacked pulls in dungeons I can generally get dots / shadow flare off, but then I need to actually heal pretty heavily because tanks are taking a significant amount of damage right now. I'm only ilvl 300 though, and most of the tanks I see are not 300-305.

nuru fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 26, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, I'm strongly considering taking advantage of the fact that SCH will level at the same time as SMN so I can hop queues later on. How much of a pain is it to maintain a healing set and a DPS set at the same time?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

So, I'm strongly considering taking advantage of the fact that SCH will level at the same time as SMN so I can hop queues later on. How much of a pain is it to maintain a healing set and a DPS set at the same time?

It's fine, solo as SMN and grab quest rewards for SMN, run dungeons as SCH and grab gear for it there. If a slot falls heavily behind, just grab a replacement from a quest for that job.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm surprised I haven't seen more people talking about the gloom and doom surrounding MCH in this thread, too. On Reddit and the official forums, at least, there's a lot of handwringing over its current state, probably about as much as SCH and WAR (though SCH players definitely seem to be the most vocal about how their job has been screwed over).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

Yeah, there's a lot ot complain about with Scholar but a lot of it is satisfaction.

The Bane nerf is 100% nonsense. There's no good excuse for it, especially since like WHM gets frigging Aero 3 for much less effort and cost.
Aetherpact is basically worthless. The actual healing it does isn't enough for feeling good at level 70 content and basically the only thing it does is give you a mild bit of flexibility for focused healing if you're occupied with another mechanic but even then it isn't enough to be significant while it drains really quickly. It also has an incredibly long animation/windup and breaks really easily.
On a similar note Excog is a pile of crap. A situational Lustrate with a long cooldown in exchange for +50 potency is dumb. It could have a niche if it was "absurdly large precast emergency heal" but as it stands the only reason to cast it is to blow through a lingering Aetherflow stack so you can refresh, and the Aetherpact mechanic being worthless makes it somewhat more tempting to just hold that stack for an actual worthwhile skill. Even if you want to blow an Aetherflow stack Energy Drain at least replenishes a pittance of mana which matters more. Excog either needs to not fall off or be larger.
Selene went from the suboptimal choice to entirely worthless. There is no content where you'd ever want to bring Selene at all. Having an on-demand silence and a 3% buff doesn't make up for the fact that Eos is required now.

Honestly a lot of this can be fixed with numbers or mind adjustments. Selene needs an actual rework though. It was clearly designed for a much older version of the game. (I also feel like Selene should have a different Atherpact than Eos does, like a combat buff or something.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can see the high level thinking that went into Onslaught. Thematically, you have to build rage to unleash it, so I get that. If it generates gauge, then using it in melee is just free gauge and free damage with no downside since it's ogcd. But is that really a big deal? We had that with Brutal Swing and it worked out ok.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Neat, I think we agreed.

ed: @imp I mean

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think the bane nerf and the removal of dots were made by different people/groups in the rebalancing. The bane nerf makes sense if you still had all the dots. The extra attack removal makes sense if you left bane as is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

Neat, I think we agreed.

ed: @imp I mean

Yeah, I think we're more or less on the same page, I saw your post after I wrote mine and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. i didn't even mention Quickened Aether because, yeah, it's entirely meaningless and unsatisfying and I honestly forget it exists.]

Edit: Also I'm leveling WHM and while I enjoy Scholar's playstyle more it's pretty fair to say that getting Thin Air at level 62 is an entirely different level of satisfaction from getting Excog. Holy Spam For Days/massively limited mana issues vs one of the most yawn skills in the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 26, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think the bane nerf and the removal of dots were made by different people/groups in the rebalancing. The bane nerf makes sense if you still had all the dots. The extra attack removal makes sense if you left bane as is.
That would explain a few things, but since it also applies to SMN I'm really wondering how hosed up the people responsible have to be (probably on a level with OWLS!).

ImpAtom posted:

The issue isn't that people are saying it's boring, it is that people keep repeatedly saying it literally can't do content/can't keep up with pulls/etc. Which is genuinely 100% wrong. (Doubly so if Paladins are involved which is to be fair largely on Paladins. I did Fist with an actually geared Paladin yesterday and it was like playing HW again, I barely had to heal them and was mostly DPSing.) Nothing's wrong with disliking the changes because you don't like how they play but the "it can't be done" crowd is weird.
Good job using a strawman and picking the dumbest complaints for your "SCH is awesome everyone else is wrong" retorts I guess? I mean, you also have that other, constructive laundry list so why not go by that instead?

Ryanbomber posted:

Pretty much.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 26, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The gloom and doom over MCH is really getting really bad. it's like HW launch again where people just parrot crap they hear. Not that there aren't definitely some issues with new MCH but looking at PF and seeing half the parties have a 'no MCHs!!!" clause is stupid.

I had a MCH do extremely well in a susano-ex group so idk why people think the class literally cannot perform at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Can we take a moment and nominate Summoner Aetherpact as "Best Buff To Healer DPS 2017" ?