Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the whole consumer cards not supposed to be for compute thing. I showed how to mod Maxwells in the OP, but right now Pascals are uncracked. If anyone manages to crack the bios flashing protection on Pascal I'll get the mod going there too, though because there's no tools for it you'd have to edit the bios manually in a hex editor.

I've done a lot of poking at drivers and software trying to get P0 state during compute and they've made a pretty explicit choice to lock that out if you don't have at least a Quadro. So far every software edit I've been able to come up with at best does nothing and at worst requires safe mode and the drivers getting reinstalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Yea I don't really care. I didn't buy the card for mining, it's just a nice side bonus to earn a few bucks. I just set my mem OC to +500 to get back to stock speeds.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The payout barely seems worth it, down now to $3.30 on my 1070 doing 415 sol/s EH. Oh well this was amusing to look into for a bit.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but imagine how much you would make with 100 1070s. Nevermind the amount of time it takes to break even, You would be making money just sitting around. Passive income man, no constant maintenance or astronomical power bill.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Gunslinger posted:

The payout barely seems worth it, down now to $3.30 on my 1070 doing 415 sol/s EH. Oh well this was amusing to look into for a bit.

Yeah, I'm just sorta rounding poo poo off before getting my last nicehash deposit. Maybe ETH will spike again soon?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you start losing money you can make it up in volume.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
WTF even is WAVES? like a 'make-ur-own-bitcoin' thing?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

craig588 posted:

That's the whole consumer cards not supposed to be for compute thing. I showed how to mod Maxwells in the OP, but right now Pascals are uncracked. If anyone manages to crack the bios flashing protection on Pascal I'll get the mod going there too, though because there's no tools for it you'd have to edit the bios manually in a hex editor.

I've done a lot of poking at drivers and software trying to get P0 state during compute and they've made a pretty explicit choice to lock that out if you don't have at least a Quadro. So far every software edit I've been able to come up with at best does nothing and at worst requires safe mode and the drivers getting reinstalled.

Weird, my 1070 doesn't downclock at all. currently at 7900 MHz on the memory clock.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
am i supposed to multiply the memory clock to get the actual number or something? In gpu-z my 1070 shows 2151.6 MHz and that is with a +550 in afterburner

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fauxtool posted:

yeah but imagine how much you would make with 100 1070s. Nevermind the amount of time it takes to break even, You would be making money just sitting around. Passive income man, no constant maintenance or astronomical power bill.

Yeah, and this Volta/Vega thing is gonna just sit around unreleased until you break even.

Some people will always be stupid with money since time immemorial: like subscribing to 300% interest instalment plans for a PS4 and/or happily paying only the minimum payment on their CCs until they die.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I've been using MinerGate for a while now to make some monero, but it doesn't fully support NVIDIA cards which is bullshit. So now I want to try out NiceHash, does anyone have any good experience with this?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fauxtool posted:

am i supposed to multiply the memory clock to get the actual number or something? In gpu-z my 1070 shows 2151.6 MHz and that is with a +550 in afterburner
That seems kind of low for +550. Isn't the stock memory clock of all 1070s 8000mhz? I know mine with +400mhz gives 2200mhz x 4 for 8800mhz. Stock would be 2000mhz x 4 for 8000mhz.

Anyway, Afterburner's sensors readout should be giving you approx. 4300mhz and multiply that by two to get 8600mhz for the real memory clock.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
:laffo: at 1080ti nicehash mining already being down to like $6.50/day from last weeks ~$10.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fruit Chewy posted:

:laffo: at 1080ti nicehash mining already being down to like $6.50/day from last weeks ~$10.

My 1070 was @ like $3.77 yesterday. Falling like a rock.

Junior Jr. posted:

I've been using MinerGate for a while now to make some monero, but it doesn't fully support NVIDIA cards which is bullshit. So now I want to try out NiceHash, does anyone have any good experience with this?

I think most of us are using Nicehash. It is super easy but the values are plummeting. I was getting like $6 a day a week ago and now I'm approaching half that. Good times are coming to end, I hope everyone enjoyed their free burritos.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I think I'll be lucky to get $10 total out of this.

Someone should write a program that distributes rendering jobs or something so people can get paid to let their computers do real work instead of this garbage.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Lockback posted:

I think most of us are using Nicehash. It is super easy but the values are plummeting. I was getting like $6 a day a week ago and now I'm approaching half that. Good times are coming to end, I hope everyone enjoyed their free burritos.

Oh for god's sake, if this rate gets any lower I'm going back to MinerGate. I'm not putting up with this poo poo.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol: Wait is it actually possible to make money out of mining crypto currencies? Remember to subtract energy costs, exchange fees, getting cyber-robbed and/or completely scammed when you do your math.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
There's also the waiting game, if you bought a bunch of bitcoins back in say 2010, you'd have to wait about 7 years later before they're worth a lot more and you can profit from them. My guess is if you mine some altcoins (monero, dashcoin, straits, etc.) and give them a several months or a year, you'd be looking at $200-300 a coin.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

^^ Don't do that, just sell. Don't speculate on the market, a bunch of those altcoins you talked about might be completely dead or the exchange you are using will go away.

If you bought bitcoin in 2010 you probably bought and stored your coins on Mt. Gox.

cheese-cube posted:

:lol: Wait is it actually possible to make money out of mining crypto currencies? Remember to subtract energy costs, exchange fees, getting cyber-robbed and/or completely scammed when you do your math.

There was/is a brief window because Bitcoin bubbled (it is not possible to make money home-mining bitcoin), and it caused Etherium and other coins to bubble as well and suddenly you had GPU-friendly algorithms that had hash difficulties that were pretty reasonable on a handful of GPUs. Combine that with that fact that there are a few applications that make mining easy and a few people could make some modest profit after costs.

This thread has people who made a bit under lunch money in profit and people were pretty loudly telling others not to invest any overhead in this. More.... Enthusiastic forums have people spending $14k buying up overpriced 1060s and they probably haven't even gotten them mining yet, so that's hilarious.

A bunch of other people have also sold off their used GPUs for more than they bought them for, which as always, the guy selling shovels is the only person to profit in a gold rush.

Anyway, it looks like Etherium is falling like a stone and its quickly approaching unprofitable unless you run a chinese asic farm with bribes in place to get free electricity.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

cheese-cube posted:

For a few weeks due to various economic bubbles it's been possible to make money on GPU mining altcoins but it sounds like the difficulty adjustments are coming.

Junior Jr. posted:

There's also the waiting game, if you bought a bunch of bitcoins back in say 2010, you'd have to wait about 7 years later before they're worth a lot more and you can profit from them. My guess is if you mine some altcoins (monero, dashcoin, straits, etc.) and give them a several months or a year, you'd be looking at $200-300 a coin.

That, or the altcoin crashes and becomes worthless. But y'know up uP UP

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Altcoins (and even Bitcoin itself) are a lot like penny stocks, it's easy to look at them and say you should have bought in while they were a penny, but there's a much greater chance that it goes to zero instead of ending up at thousands of dollars.

99% of altcoins, if you bought into them at launch they're probably worthless now.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made 100 dollars in Amazon money against 20 dollars in electricity. It's not profitable anymore, but I'll start up again the next time there's a bubble.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

There was/is a brief window because Bitcoin bubbled (it is not possible to make money home-mining bitcoin), and it caused Etherium and other coins to bubble as well and suddenly you had GPU-friendly algorithms that had hash difficulties that were pretty reasonable on a handful of GPUs. Combine that with that fact that there are a few applications that make mining easy and a few people could make some modest profit after costs.

Djeser posted:

For a few weeks due to various economic bubbles it's been possible to make money on GPU mining altcoins but it sounds like the difficulty adjustments are coming.

How much did ya'll make?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's covered in the OP. Use Nicehash so you don't need to know anything about the like dozens of coin markets or whatever people are doing, use the calculator, plug in your GPU, your electricity costs, and see how nothing's worth running anymore.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah but I want actual real-world ROI for the significant outlays being made, either on energy and/or hardware and/or fees.

Edit: gimme some recent anecdotals.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How are you guys unprofitable? I'm positive over $0.73 USD using a r9 390

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not bothering if I'm not at least doubling my electricity costs because of the extra overhead of fees from cashing out and the waste of time. I technically could still run my 1080 and 980 for profit, but instead of getting like 50 dollars a week against 10 dollars in electricity, it'd be closer to 20 dollars a week and that's not worth it to me.

I was getting 50 dollars a week as recently as last week and now it's not worth it, I don't think it gets any more recent than that.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

How much did you invest for that gain?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

How much did ya'll make?

I started kinda late and I shut off my miner frequently when I wanted to use my PC, and wasn't super good about always remembering to turn it on. I also had my PC freeze once and probably lost 24 hours on that. I give that background to state I am a super lazy miner who really only ran it when it was low effort. I'm running a 1070 and I messed around a lot with timings and underclocking and didn't really see a big difference so just left it default.

Looking right now I have $28 in bitcoin and I used about $4 and change on electricity (about 40 kwh).

Risky Bisquick posted:

How are you guys unprofitable? I'm positive over $0.73 USD using a r9 390

I'm still profitable, but at some point it's not worth it to keep it going. Last night I was at like $3.60 a day and using a bit less than a dollar in extra power a day.

cheese-cube posted:

$0. All existing hardware I use to mostly play PUBG.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

About 10 dollars a week. I was really conservative about my electrical costs because I didn't want to lose money, but instead of my initial estimates of around 15 dollars a week it was 10 a week.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So if I understand this right ya'll have expended a not-insignificant amount of time to earn less in a week than you'd usually get for an hour of work at min wage?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

cheese-cube posted:

How much did ya'll make?

I didn't make anything, my GPU is four years old and I have a job and also enough self-respect not to touch butts

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cheese-cube posted:

So if I understand this right ya'll have expended a not-insignificant amount of time to earn less in a week than you'd usually get for an hour of work at min wage?

Passively, that scales up. 3-4 gpu systems are pretty low effort without needing power risers, milk crates, and a fire extinguisher when it all catches fire.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

But how many milk crates do you need to add to keep up with difficulty increases? How many suburban areas even have home milk delivery? I'm saying milk crates aren't as easy to steal as they once were so that's gotta be an overhead to costs that'll dent your profits.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

That's the reason for Nicehash. You don't need to know anything. That was the big thing stopping me before, I wasn't going to watch markets and know stuff about bitcoins. It takes like 10 minutes to set up and you don't need to pay attention to anything. This is all covered in the OP too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cheese-cube posted:

But how many milk crates do you need to add to keep up with difficulty increases? How many suburban areas even have home milk delivery? I'm saying milk crates aren't as easy to steal as they once were so that's gotta be an overhead to costs that'll dent your profits.

This thread is literally "have a computer, do moderate work to have computer turn electricity into money from idiots, if you buy anything for this you are the idiots"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

WTF even is WAVES? like a 'make-ur-own-bitcoin' thing?

It's an altcoin with no mining, you get more by staking or holding your coins.

Then if you own at least 1, you can issue more coins based on your specifications. It's pretty raw but I like what I've seen so far.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

50>10

I spend thousands of dollars a year through Amazon. For me at least, Amazon credit is as good as cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cheese-cube posted:

You buy electricity in direct proportion to the money you extract from libertarian fantasies, as you extract the money. You then turn it into gift cards or similar that has actual value greater than the electricity you paid for. At this point it isn't, so you've stopped, and you've got a bit of burrito or etailer money.

• Locked thread