Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

The electricity crisis is biting hard in Gaza.

Currently down to about 2.5 hours of electricity per day with medical services especially struggling to cope. The situation is expected to get worse in the next few weeks as generator fuel runs out.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2017/06/gaza-electricity-crisis-170618112834986.html

Seems to have been caused by an agreement between the PA and Israel this Sunday which helps both sides. PA pays less for Gazan services and both sides have the benefit of weakening and delegitimising Hamas. Shame about the people that will suffer and die!

As the occupying force, this is certainly another war crime on Israel's part.

An instance of intentional quality of life reduction on a first world nation will need to occur before it will be considered a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Greece?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

First world

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

http://www.timesofisrael.com/devastating-survey-shows-huge-loss-of-israel-support-among-jewish-college-students/

Basically trying to brand israel as a high-tech, "startup nation" isn't working. One statistic of note here is support for israel apparently has dropped in relation to learning more about actual facts about life in the country.

Much of this change she blamed on the rise of “intersectionality” on campuses. There is no longer nuance in campus conversations about Israel, she said. Instead, the “atmosphere is oppressor versus victim. Israel is just another symbol of this."

Great line right there. You definitely nailed what the problem is.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 24, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:thunk:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Colour me shocked that the Trump negotiating position (that he probably had nothing to do with formulating) is garbage.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Ultramega posted:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/devastating-survey-shows-huge-loss-of-israel-support-among-jewish-college-students/

Basically trying to brand israel as a high-tech, "startup nation" isn't working. One statistic of note here is support for israel apparently has dropped in relation to learning more about actual facts about life in the country.

Much of this change she blamed on the rise of “intersectionality” on campuses. There is no longer nuance in campus conversations about Israel, she said. Instead, the “atmosphere is oppressor versus victim. Israel is just another symbol of this."

Love the implication that sympathy for palestinians is a disease that needs to be vaccinated against.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's some sick game being played here, for sure:

https://twitter.com/MaanNewsAgency/status/878636586711347201

https://twitter.com/elgindy_/status/878790262776111104

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's not like Israel is going to even hurt significantly, sure a few settlers, a few occupation soldiers. But Israel proper is going to get a couple rockets in empty fields at best and western media is going to zoom in hard if anyone on the israeli side actually dies in the retaliation. The bulk of pro-zionist people in the west are already hardcore convinced that the media is too lenient to Palestine for vaguely showing them as people, even when media attention is 99% of the time focused on the smaller number of Israeli casualties.

With the rest of the arab world in disarray, deals with Saudi Arabia and Iran isolated, it's not like any group that can do anything to fight back significantly can do it when they're mostly focused on the civil war in Syria-Iraq.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ultramega posted:

Just the fact that they have previously hired professional internet trolls to go into various sites (including this one) and attack pro-Palestinian viewpoints shows how scared they are of public perception. Honestly if the US wasn't around to veto various UN resolutions on their behalf, Israel would be the South Africa of the 21st century by now.

It's also not helping when they do things like banning Jews who are critics of Israeli policy from entering the country, which of course backfires every time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Everything I posted was out of my own accord. Thank you very much.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Who said you were JIDF?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

lmao

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
More "intersectional" American Jewish liberals whose definition of intersectionality conveniently excludes any form of oppression whose acknowledgement might challenge any part of their preexisting worldview.

https://twitter.com/jerusalem_post/status/879022906298191872

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barry Convex posted:

More "intersectional" American Jewish liberals whose definition of intersectionality conveniently excludes any form of oppression whose acknowledgement might challenge any part of their preexisting worldview.

https://twitter.com/jerusalem_post/status/879022906298191872

So "intersectionality" means it's okay to kick people out of an LGBT march based on their religion/cultural identity, got it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So "intersectionality" means it's okay to kick people out of an LGBT march based on their religion/cultural identity, got it.

Yeah, I don't really see any reasonable defense for what that march did. It would be one thing if the signs/banners had some sort of overtly political message, but a Star of David is just a religious/cultural symbol on its own.

I feel like there's this "alt-left" which is basically the pseudo-leftists who are often genuinely antisemitic and also antivaxxers, anti-GMOs, etc.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Barry Convex posted:

IMO this was an actual fuckup and it wasn't being used by a zionist group, but there's like understandable wariness considering the actual zionist groups who tried to do it in other pride marches and JDL crashing Toronto pride.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Agnosticnixie posted:

IMO this was an actual fuckup and it wasn't being used by a zionist group, but there's like understandable wariness considering the actual zionist groups who tried to do it in other pride marches and JDL crashing Toronto pride.

Cool for them to err on the side of antisemitism, then. :thumbsup:

Like, it seems like one of those people may have been a member of an Israeli pinkwashing group (A Wider Bridge), but none of them had brought actual Israeli flags, and the very fact they think Jews owe them an explanation for daring to openly be in an LGBT march is antisemitism, full stop.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like, it seems like one of those people may have been a member of an Israeli pinkwashing group (A Wider Bridge), but none of them had brought actual Israeli flags, and the very fact they think Jews owe them an explanation for daring to openly be in an LGBT march is antisemitism, full stop.

It's not cool and I wasn't trying to imply it was, sorry.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did you even read what you linked? It doesn't "seem like one of these people may" be a member of Wider Bridge, Laurel Grauer is the Regional Midwest Director. She gives a statement on behalf of her organization in the article! The other two people who were ejected were with her!!

e: You're still right, it is anti-Semitic. Just because you identify as Jewish doesn't mean you have to answer for everything Jews do. I bet it would be easy to shock a lot of those liberals and leftists who were assholish (read: American) enough to demand they out themselves as Zionists just by asking them if all Muslims should be held accountable or be pressured to answer for the acts of terror extremists commit or the oppressive acts of Islamic heads of state. I/P really puts rage blinders on some people.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 26, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It used to be for "poisoning the wells" and other blood libels.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Autism Sneaks posted:

Did you even read what you linked? It doesn't "seem like one of these people may" be a member of Wider Bridge, Laurel Grauer is the Regional Midwest Director. She gives a statement on behalf of her organization in the article! The other two people who were ejected were with her!!

I didn't read this as closely as the Slate article I found it through, which doesn't actually clearly note this. However, from their formulation it's unclear that all three individuals approached with such flags and Grauer and her friends are the same people.

quote:

e: You're still right, it is anti-Semitic. Just because you identify as Jewish doesn't mean you have to answer for everything Jews do. I bet it would be easy to shock a lot of those liberals and leftists who were assholish (read: American) enough to demand they out themselves as Zionists just by asking them if all Muslims should be held accountable for the what acts of terror extremists commit or the oppressive acts of Islamic heads of state. I/P really puts rage blinders on some people.

Yeah, I mean, even if this was a completely cynical, calculated provocation, then mission accomplished.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
What this and that study show is that if you are solely interested in public opinion, then the best strategy is to bait your foe into mistakes. This, Gadot, Matisyahu, all of those incidents backfired. The overall poll numbers being cited are a direct function of the Gaza wars, this can be easily shown if you look at things like Pew/Gallup tracking polls. And as electing Obama showed after Bush, that can all be changed regardless of actual substance change of policy. There's a core of opposition, but a big chunk of it is soft and can easily be swayed.

At minimum there would be significant change if they had a centrist PM. Furthermore, Israel should immediately withdraw from the majority of area C both for this and many other reasons. Regardless of what anti-Zionists think, if they did that, public perception including the consensus of the international community would be that the onus on peace would be on the PA then. These tactics would also allow for public negotiation about normalization of ties with the regional anti-Iran bloc.

This is of course assuming that Israel's leaders actually have its long term self interest in mind.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly if the US wasn't around to veto various UN resolutions on their behalf, Israel would be the South Africa of the 21st century by now.

That's not reflective of their ties to Europe or their practical ties with anti-Iran countries like Saudi Arabia or UAE who they're closer than ever with. And that's not a reflection of the reality on the ground either. In that regardless of how bad you think Israel's conduct is, there are worse actors (largely Israel's new Sunni friends), who will never be sanctioned in a million years due to politics.

quote:

It's also not helping when they do things like banning Jews who are critics of Israeli policy from entering the country, which of course backfires every time.

As idiotic as these things are, they're passed knowingly with the knowledge that the Supreme Court will block them. I don't think there's any evidence that anything other than video of dead children really moves public opinion though. There hasn't been a live war in three years, and conflicts like Syria and Yemen (well barely there, but it's a humanitarian crisis) are rightly getting the bulk of public attention in proportion to the sheer brutality of human suffering there.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I don't really see any reasonable defense for what that march did. It would be one thing if the signs/banners had some sort of overtly political message, but a Star of David is just a religious/cultural symbol on its own.

I feel like there's this "alt-left" which is basically the pseudo-leftists who are often genuinely antisemitic and also antivaxxers, anti-GMOs, etc.

I really don't agree that putting the Star of David at the center of a rainbow flag can be plausibly argued to have nothing to do with the state of Israel, particularly after seeing extremely similar flags used by the pro-Israel contingent at NYC Pride yesterday (those had rainbows at top and bottom, replacing the blue stripes on the actual Israeli flag).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

I really don't agree that putting the Star of David at the center of a rainbow flag can be plausibly argued to have nothing to do with the state of Israel, particularly after seeing extremely similar flags used by the pro-Israel contingent at NYC Pride yesterday (those had rainbows at top and bottom, replacing the blue stripes on the actual Israeli flag).

It's really not their fault that Israel decided to use one of the two most major symbols of their religion on their national flag.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/26/jewish-diaspora-angry-as-netanyahu-scraps-western-wall-mixed-prayer-plan

Didn't even know the Western Wall was gender-segregated.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

It's really not their fault that Israel decided to use one of the two most major symbols of their religion on their national flag.

From my own experiences with the Jewish community, I highly doubt that anyone who would wave a Star of David flag in 2017 would see it as a wholly apolitical expression of Jewish identity that has nothing to do with the state of Israel. I don't agree that it deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If they were just wearing the Star of David on T-shirts or hats or buttons, fine, leave them be, but flags have symbolic value beyond those and the organizers were right to identify them as pro-Israel. There are no reports of Jews at the Dyke March who weren't waving such flags experiencing harassment, for what that's worth.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Barry Convex posted:

From my own experiences with the Jewish community, I highly doubt that anyone who would wave a Star of David flag in 2017 would see it as a wholly apolitical expression of Jewish identity that has nothing to do with the state of Israel. I don't agree that it deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If they were just wearing the Star of David on T-shirts or hats or buttons, fine, leave them be, but flags have symbolic value beyond those and the organizers were right to identify them as pro-Israel. There are no reports of Jews at the Dyke March who weren't waving such flags experiencing harassment, for what that's worth.

Jewish identity, inherently, cannot be apolitical. wtf

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

And Muslims that wave a star and crescent flag must support Turkey and Erdogan???

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

And Muslims that wave a star and crescent flag must support Turkey and Erdogan???

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Jewish identity, inherently, cannot be apolitical. wtf

*sigh* tl; dr: Anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism; a huge Star of David at the center of a flag is inherently Zionist in the current cultural and political context; there are no reports of Jews at the Dyke March other than the three flag-wavers being harassed.

I guess the second of those is more controversial on the left than I had thought, but c'est la vie. I stand by it.

I absolutely agree that negatively conflating Jewish identity with support for Israel is anti-Semitic and should be condemned whenever and wherever it happens. I just don't think that's what happened here.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 26, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Barry Convex posted:

Anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism; a huge Star of David at the center of a flag is inherently Zionist

These two statements are contradictory. The Star of David marching in solidarity with unconditional Palestinian liberation is a good thing

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

yes but you see what really matters is :bravo2:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Barry Convex posted:

*sigh* tl; dr: Anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism; a huge Star of David at the center of a flag is inherently Zionist in the current cultural and political context; there are no reports of Jews at the Dyke March other than the three flag-wavers being harassed.

I guess the second of those is more controversial on the left than I had thought, but c'est la vie. I stand by it.

I absolutely agree that negatively conflating Jewish identity with support for Israel is anti-Semitic and should be condemned whenever and wherever it happens. I just don't think that's what happened here.

A black man in a hoodie in this neighbourhood? I think we all know what that means he's doing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

A black man in a hoodie in this neighbourhood? I think we all know what that means he's doing.

It's a rainbow flag with a Star of David in exactly the same size and position as on the Israeli flag. If you want to believe that it conveys absolutely nothing political beyond a mere expression of dual LGBT and Jewish identity and that any suggestion to the contrary is anti-Semitic, not like I can convince you otherwise, but again, I stand by it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dissolve the dichotomy man. Don't let Israeli expansionists take over Jewish symbols, heck I think it's a mistake to let them feel like they own the Israeli flag or even the concept of Zionism.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dissolve the dichotomy man. Don't let Israeli expansionists take over Jewish symbols, heck I think it's a mistake to let them feel like they own the Israeli flag or even the concept of Zionism.

I sort of agree, insofar as the relevant question raised by the Dyke March should be whether there's still a place for Zionism under the tent of leftism, not whether this specific anti-Zionist action was also anti-Semitic.

I lean more towards the Dyke March organizers on this, personally, but it's a perfectly valid debate to have and it's one that those crying anti-Semitism are obfuscating, intentionally or otherwise.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

It's a rainbow flag with a Star of David in exactly the same size and position as on the Israeli flag. If you want to believe that it conveys absolutely nothing political beyond a mere expression of dual LGBT and Jewish identity and that any suggestion to the contrary is anti-Semitic, not like I can convince you otherwise, but again, I stand by it.

Honest question - what exactly would you propose as an alternative? If I were LGBT and wanted to make a flag/banner indicating both LGBT and Jewish pride, a Star of David on a rainbow background is kind of the most obvious choice. There aren't many other symbols that are generally recognized by the public as being Jewish.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Barry Convex posted:

The star on the pride flag is not the same size as the Israeli flag

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Barry Convex posted:

It's a black man walking through a neighbourhood of predominantly white people wearing clothes that show is social-economically is not a member of the community. If you want to believe that it conveys absolutely nothing criminal and is just an expression of freedom as a man happens to go through a neighbourhood that has suffered a spate of burglaries lately and any suggestion to the contrary is racist, not like I can convince you otherwise, but again, I stand by it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Honest question - what exactly would you propose as an alternative? If I were LGBT and wanted to make a flag/banner indicating both LGBT and Jewish pride, a Star of David on a rainbow background is kind of the most obvious choice. There aren't many other symbols that are generally recognized by the public as being Jewish.

There are many ways one can publicly express Jewish identity without waving around a flag that evokes the Israeli flag. Tallit, kippot, literally anything that doesn't entail positioning a big Star of David at the center of a striped flag.