Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know it's still "Early Access" and all.. But it's pretty frustrating when you are playing the live build instead of wacky experimental, and your save still gets hosed because when you return to the orbital gun island, the first floor is now "flooded" unlike last visit, the base geometry past the second artifact door is now missing, and now you're super hosed because the ocean is convinced you are walking. Even after validating the files and restarting I'm not allowed to swim anymore :sigh:

gently caress it. I behaved myself. When I get back to this I'll be cracking open the console commands with wild abandon so if I get hosed over again, at least I won't have spent all that time collecting titanium and quartz to build my 16 total MP room total towers ahead of time. 48 windows is a lot of glass. I think I spent 42 titanium on ladders alone, before I even built my seamoth.

EDIT: Oh good. suicide via kill console command at least has, for the moment, given back my ability to swim. (Though it's now prone to making me exit my outpost base by way of clipping me below the foundation plates)... Precursor base is still hosed though, so welp.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yardbomb posted:

This has been pretty great too as someone who just got it, it's hard to go a few feet without a peeper or reginald or something else trundling past that I can scarf down when need be, which is a godsend compared to some other survival games.

I wonder what happens with the fish you eat. Obviously they don't die because that wouldn't do for highly developed aliens who have evolved beyond killing and don't have any lethal weaponry (*).

(*: except for knives)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
** Kharaa need not apply

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Next time you have issues where you can't swim, try going in and out of a hatch. That worked for me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Next time you have issues where you can't swim, try going in and out of a hatch. That worked for me.

It didn't even when I used warpme commands to let me even access a hatch, in my case. Hence resorting to suicide :v: Any hopeful advice for super hosed world geometry that won't require sucking it up and starting a new save? Stuff like the 'entreset' command didn't seem to do anything.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Section Z posted:

It didn't even when I used warpme commands to let me even access a hatch, in my case. Hence resorting to suicide :v: Any hopeful advice for super hosed world geometry that won't require sucking it up and starting a new save? Stuff like the 'entreset' command didn't seem to do anything.

use cheats, activate creative, spawn a habitat builder, and place a base with hatch nearby?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

double nine posted:

use cheats, activate creative, spawn a habitat builder, and place a base with hatch nearby?
Which one of those will put the insides back into the precursor orbital gun base which seems to have gone missing? The console codes I have tried out didn't seem to do much on that front.

The warp commands put me inside my base, of which going in and out of the hatch did gently caress all (and I expect, so would building a fresh base at my feet). The suicide button unfucked swimming, but plot locations having their geometry erased is the big problem I'm hoping has a workaround.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've "fallen" down to the seafloor a few times when trying to walk out of the moon pool as well (just fell right through the floor around the doorway and the game didn't make me start swimming). But walking around to a hatch and getting in fixed the problem. Odd if that's not working.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Whats even the point of proc gen anymore now that the world is gonna be limited? Why dont they do it like a traditional game, or would it not matter performance wise?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The world isn't random and hasn't been random for as long as the game's been in EA so I don't know what you're saying.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I thought it was a mix the map being static and all the resources and plants and stuff proc gen. If thats not the case nvm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

7c Nickel posted:

In a way, I think when you're thinking about "games like Subnautica" you should almost focus more on survival/crafting/exploration games that have a narrative and a goal rather than just the water/underwater part.

Funny thing, i was thinking of exploration/crafting games, just the 2 I'd been looking at besides Ark are also sea based.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Digirat posted:

The world isn't random and hasn't been random for as long as the game's been in EA so I don't know what you're saying.

Wasn't it actually, way back at the beginning of the EA stage? At least swathes of it were.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Wasn't it actually, way back at the beginning of the EA stage? At least swathes of it were.

I think they released some of their procedural generation tools for testing but the game itself has always had the static map.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
When I first got the game, you could dig around in the sand.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Early on I thought I remember the shallows getting scrambled around when I started a new game but I could just he remembering wrong since they've made map changes pretty much every patch. I did spend a bunch of time digging up sand because I would miss a click.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
What's the strategy for using the Cyclops? I just built my first one, and no matter which speed and silent running buttons I pressed, the ship seemed to be under constant creature attack once I started moving, and sometimes when I wasn't moving at all. I've parked it back at base and am sticking with the trusty seamoth, but surely I'm missing something. I get that the idea is to use it as a mobile base and then explore out of it with smaller craft, but I couldn't even get it 200 meters from the shallows without it being on fire, let alone park it somewhere deep/useful.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

What's the strategy for using the Cyclops? I just built my first one, and no matter which speed and silent running buttons I pressed, the ship seemed to be under constant creature attack once I started moving, and sometimes when I wasn't moving at all. I've parked it back at base and am sticking with the trusty seamoth, but surely I'm missing something. I get that the idea is to use it as a mobile base and then explore out of it with smaller craft, but I couldn't even get it 200 meters from the shallows without it being on fire, let alone park it somewhere deep/useful.

With where the Cyclops is in development right now i feel like it's less headache to use the Seamoth/PRAWN Suit and plopping down tiny outpost bases with the bare necessities in them where it makes sense to put them. A multipurpose room with bio reactor, plant beds with food in them and maybe a fabricator. Then you can add whatever you want to it later if you feel fancy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've been having trouble finding anywhere that actually looks safe to make my sealab.

I'd love to go into one of the dark bits just for the observatory value when everything's all lit up, but I figure one of those eels or a stray reaper or something would just come and blast me apart.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Based on my understanding crab squids are the only thing that will go out of their way to attack a base because they hate light. So you can make a base in some exotic places (like my base on a floating platform with a geyser on it), but the more dangerous it is the more of a pain it will be to build and to get in and out. With that spot I only had to worry about the occasional bone shark, which can be chopped up.

But the easiest thing to do is just build your base next to the creepvine forest near where you start. It's where I make my poverty tube before I have the mystical magical Room blueprint needed to make a real base. You can use solar panels and it's in the middle of the map, which makes it easy to get anywhere. I definitely suffered a bit when I was going to areas on the opposite side of the map from where I made my platform base.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Plek posted:

Early on I thought I remember the shallows getting scrambled around when I started a new game but I could just he remembering wrong since they've made map changes pretty much every patch. I did spend a bunch of time digging up sand because I would miss a click.

The pod doesn't quite land in the same location on new games. For example, my screwy save landed right on top of where I often like to set up my newbie base. My latest start put me about 200m away from there. The map is the same, but your life pod is in a different spot even when you repair it so it doesn't drift.

Even back when we could dig at the sand, the overall map itself has seen very little change beyond finally attaching plot buildings, or sealing off old entrances/exists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I've been having trouble finding anywhere that actually looks safe to make my sealab.

I'd love to go into one of the dark bits just for the observatory value when everything's all lit up, but I figure one of those eels or a stray reaper or something would just come and blast me apart.

I quite like making one in the red grass plains above the mushroom caves for my first base, from there you can drop one in the blood kelp or the grand reef, I would say don't go deeper than 200m or so until you get thermal plants because solar panels stop working by 300m down, so you either have to keep fuelling the bioreactors or settle near a thermal vent, and there are some excellent places near thermal vents to make deeper bases, one of them just above 900m down which puts it at the edge of your seamoth range with all the upgrades, makes a perfect staging point.

You can also build a surface base in the shallows, the water is shallow enough in places that you can easily drop a foundation above the water and cover it in exterior plants.

But the red grass plains or the little sandy part between the grass and the descent to where the reef begins are probably the nicest places, good open run of water for the cyclops and fairly central to a bunch of useful biomes, also solar friendly though you might need a few of them at that depth. No large predators. Also some nice geological formations to build around with the big pillars or the little caves in the sandy section.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can also build a surface base in the shallows, the water is shallow enough in places that you can easily drop a foundation above the water and cover it in exterior plants.

Thought about going over to the red grass but yeah, so far my one little poverty outpost is in the shallows as a single multi-purpose room with a fabricator, signal radio, battery charger and the other little fixins, including an observatory cause I'm gonna need one of those on every base probably, so I could finally and completely obsolete the lifepod.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Plek posted:

From what I've gathered on the various forums and dev posts, the code to terraform is still all there, along with some other early unoptimised terrain code. The devs haven't changed this yet as, yeah, they've done a lot of modifications to the map (and are still doing smaller ones even in the latest patch) and they don't want to change their entire terrain building system and lock all of the mesh down until they're sure that everything on the map has been worked out and set up the way that they want for release, even though things like terraforming don't exist in-game anymore.

The upside, from what I understand, is that this is one of the big performance drags in the game, and once they've finalised the map they can lock in the mesh and we'll hopefully see a nice FPS boost.

This is based on a combo of player and dev posts, though, so if someone better-informed knows otherwise then I'd love to hear it.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

So this was before the last patch but I used it when I needed to go explore the really deep locations like the Lava Zone. I'd scope out a route with the seamoth and then load up on supplies and take the Cyclops as far as it could go and then undock my Prawn and go further. If you bring enough food and water you can stay down there for a while. It felt very "in character" but I'm sure people in the thread will be able to tell you more mechanically easy ways to go about this.

I will say before the patch I basically had no issues puttering around in he Cyclops. Generally I'd just zoom around at Flanking speed and if I took a hit i'd punch the silent running button and wait for the red blip to go of my radar. Might be trickier now that you gotta worry about turning your engine off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Man, I'm dying trying to find a specific song right now. I finally went down into the neon mushroom hole, then as soon as I hopped out of my seamoth just before the pressure started cracking it, this cool as hell sounding song came in with some almost chanty lady vocals and and a really thumping tune. Pretty much right after hearing it I went to youtube and have been trying to find it to absolutely no avail.

It was titled Crash Site :arghfist:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 28, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Ironically, people will tell you not to use it.

Unironically, they will also tell you not to use it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There isn't really much technique involved in using it, just drive it past the baddies, use silent running to not get hit for a bit, turn the engine off occasionally and repair it.

Basically just accept it's a pile of poo poo and don't use it unless you have to.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
My Cyclops is loaded full of wall lockers and a fabricator so I can break down mats and create components as I'm out gathering so when I go back to my base I'm already full of glass, copper wire, computer chips, reactor rods, and anything else I might need. It's just a mobile launch point for my Prawn Suit and a place to swim back up to to unload loot.

I've built my first base in the west end of the Safe Shallows right next to a thermal vent and close enough to the surface to get solar power. Between that and a nuclear reactor I have unlimited power.

I'm at the point now where I need to start getting into the deep caves now that my Prawn suit can go to 1700m. Anyone have a suggestion for a second base location?

Edit: Also, I need to be better about using beacons to mark entrances to caves and poo poo. I have a hard time re-finding them.

JFC fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 30, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I put a base right in the second deepest area (The Inactive Lava Zone, near the Castle) as a jumping off point for the things around there. I was able to bring everything I needed in one trip, but I wasn't managing food/thirst so it might take you a couple trips to bring the bare necessities. I did not use the Cyclops for that area.

I think someone was asking for uses for the scanner room earlier. I found they are EXCELLENT for finding wrecks in range because you can specifically scan for fragments. If you find your scanning base is in a bad spot, just pick it up and move it elsewhere.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 30, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I built my first base near the creepvines, because the resources I needed for the early stuff was all close by, and I could go between it and the lifepod pretty easily before I made a fabricator nearby.

I built a second near the crabsquid cave as I found a cluster of vents. Though a 2 level room, a fabricator, a plant bed, water processer and a moonpool was too much so I had to scrounge for another nuke plant to provide enough power.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I stuck little one tube bases all over the goddamn place :whatup: Tried to have one in each biome, they're cheap enough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Poverty tubes are nothing to be proud of. They are an act of desperation, a sign of a scubaman pushed too far by cyclops nerfs

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Poverty tubes are nothing to be proud of. They are an act of desperation, a sign of a scubaman pushed too far by cyclops nerfs

On that front, the Devs have seemingly changed their tune from being dismissive to the point of preferring to post nothing but "SAND sharks don't attack the cyclops, get it right" and "I'm only seeing complaints, no feedback" to frustrated players... To, now that 3/4 of the forums consists of people talking about how stupid 2.0 was, saying they will outright remove Boneshark aggro from the Cyclops (In experimental).

Oh, and also increasing leviathan type aggro, making Amp Eels now aggro on the Cyclops, and promises that the Ghost Leviathan will really want to gently caress your poo poo up once it's added to the game. Baby steps.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 5, 2017

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Is there a console command to delete a structure? I made the mistake of trying to put a picture frame over a glass window and now I can't destroy the thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JFC posted:

Is there a console command to delete a structure? I made the mistake of trying to put a picture frame over a glass window and now I can't destroy the thing.

I wish I knew. Every time I've seen it mentioned, and some casual minimum effort searches just now turns up that being a problem, and people wondering why it's still a problem between "Welp, that didn't work."

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

JFC posted:

Try going outside to find it. Sometimes the bum of objects pop out by a tiny amount, not usually visible, but enough for the habitat builder to recognize it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

JFC posted:

The above might work, you could also try deconstructing the window first and then rebuilding it after.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Xik posted:

Try going outside to find it. Sometimes the bum of objects pop out by a tiny amount, not usually visible, but enough for the habitat builder to recognize it.

LonsomeSon posted:

The above might work, you could also try deconstructing the window first and then rebuilding it after.

Nah, no luck. it's the bane of my existence in this game.I also have a first aid station stuck in a reinforced wall panel I can't remove or complete, just like the picture frame in the window, they are both just transparent blue floaty things stopping me from doing any structural changes.

Edit: Some base porn

JFC fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bat Ham posted:

From what I've gathered on the various forums and dev posts, the code to terraform is still all there, along with some other early unoptimised terrain code.

Heya just making my obligatory quarterly post to complain that this is the main reason I haven't touched Subnautica in seven kajillion updates. I really don't want to sink another couple hundred hours in and then get saddled with a forced restart whenever they get around to doing this code removal / clean-up that they originally committed to doing last year. :smith: