Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm slowly getting into it after getting overwhelmed the last time i played. I take it i'm supposed to be playing at max speed most of the time. I kind of wish the tutorial was a bit faster at introducing things to you because it wasn't working particularly well for me and stuff like holdings and technology i'm not entirely sure about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jose posted:

I'm slowly getting into it after getting overwhelmed the last time i played. I take it i'm supposed to be playing at max speed most of the time. I kind of wish the tutorial was a bit faster at introducing things to you because it wasn't working particularly well for me and stuff like holdings and technology i'm not entirely sure about

The basic survival kit to stabilize your country enough to learn the rest of the ropes is something like:
-Play feudal christian to get the "basic ruleset". Everyone else is more or less a variation of the christian feudalism. Ireland with the default start is nice, although a bit boring place. The count of Dublin will inherit his neighbouring county almost immediately and can easily subjucate two others to become superduke on a way to become the king of Ireland, so that is a simple, easy and almost idiot-proof start.
-Try to keep your demeneste within your ducal providences. If you are a king or a duke, keep 1 or 2 duchies, and try to obtain all/most counties and baronies in those regions. Give away the rest. If you are an emperor, keep only the title of king in the realm in which your duchies are.
-Make title inheritance something that does not split the titles. Seniority will do fine in a pinch.
-Give away the minor court positions to the first person in list who likes you more than 0.
-Give away council positions to those who are most competent and like you, or major vassals (red fist icon) even if they dislike you somewhat. Giving someone a position in the council is a major mood boost and usually ensures that the major vassals do not get cheecky with their demands.
-Always keep enough money to hire at least one cheap mercenary band for 1-2 year long contract. (Rebels calculate their chances against your manpower, not taking into account mercenaries)
-Marry someone to the neighbouring country you do not want to fight with to cause non-aggression pact.
-In tech, priorize castle techs, commerce, legalism and army morale. Otherwise take the one you think you need the most.
-Pick "economy" ambition to boost gold.
-Do not plot unneccessary murders.
-Joining a society is not neccessary, but if you want to, join for example the Hermeutic society for skill boosts. Basically join any other one but the evil ones (satanists for christian rules).
-Stay out of religion tab until you absolutely need to play around with it.
-Set the priest with the best Learning skill as your physician.
-Priorize castle upgrades which give you more retinue, or buy the cheapest building with the largest headcount upgrade to your army. Only buy upgrades to your own castles, AI can and will upgrade stuff by its own.
-Build the basic 100 gold hospital for your capital region and leave it to that until you have extra spending gold and/or black death hits.
-Buy shock, defence or cavalry retinues. You will get more than enough light infantry/bowmen crap from your vassals and demeneste.

In my opinion, using this checklist will give you somewhat stable starting platform from which to start experimenting with different stuff.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 26, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Staying out of societies is bad advice because they don't really have a downside assuming you don't pick the evil one. The Hermetic Society, for example, can give you crazy amounts of boosts to learning.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Piell posted:

Staying out of societies is bad advice because they don't really have a downside assuming you don't pick the evil one. The Hermetic Society, for example, can give you crazy amounts of boosts to learning.

OK, I will admit that, edited the list.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Piell posted:

Its nice, but if you are getting overwhelmed, there's no reason to add on to that. I mean, deciding my depressed king should join satanists to do his best to curse the family that killed his gay son was fun, but no need to add more mechanics early on.

Regarding technology: Don't worry about it too much while you are getting a handle on things. Legalism to level 3 is the only one you should really worry about, as it unlocks Primogeniture. You get points passively when a Duke or above, and you can have your spymaster steal technology for a random 50 point boost in one of the types. Stick your spymaster in Byzantine (or if you can't do that, one of the other major Kingdom capitals should have better tech than you).

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 26, 2017

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Its nice, but if you are getting overwhelmed, there's no reason to add on to that. I mean, deciding my depressed king should join satanists to do his best to curse the family that killed his gay son was fun, but no need to add more mechanics early on.

Regarding technology: Don't worry about it too much while you are getting a handle on things. Legalism to level 3 is the only one you should really worry about, as it unlocks Primogeniture. You get points passively when a Duke or above, and you can have your spymaster steal technology for a random 50 point boost in one of the types. Stick your spymaster in Byzantine (or if you can't do that, one of the other major Kingdom capitals should have better tech than you).

I actually added some stuff regarding tech upgrades to the list of "things to do as a newcomer".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

-Do not plot unneccessary murders.

:colbert: There's no such thing as an unnecessary murder.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Jose posted:

poo poo, I feel an omnipresent anxiety whenever I'm over speed 3.

Then again, that's how I feel about most things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

THanks for that list. I got the notification I could imprison someone who was part of a plot but he liked me 73. I ignored it and nothing happened so I was a bit surprised it even appeared. I started in dublin too and inherited the neighbouring county but then had it say title inheritance would leave on succession despite it going to one of the starting children. Is that because it wasn't going to the heir?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I think it depends on your PC and the amount of time the game has been going on. For me even speed 5 gets really slow over time. Pick the one you feel comfortable with, you can always speed it up when nothing's happening and slow down for troop movement/sieges/battles. Also, the pause button is your friend.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jose posted:

THanks for that list. I got the notification I could imprison someone who was part of a plot but he liked me 73. I ignored it and nothing happened so I was a bit surprised it even appeared. I started in dublin too and inherited the neighbouring county but then had it say title inheritance would leave on succession despite it going to one of the starting children. Is that because it wasn't going to the heir?

Exactly. As the first law change you should switch inheritance law to something that gives all your titles to one heir (I think in that start Seniority is only one available), since otherwise you would have to regain control of some/most provinces every time you switch a character.

Don't worry about the imprisonment. The guy was caught plotting against someone in your court, and you could have arrested them since you are the head of the state. Most of the time, that type of imprisonment is useful tool to grab faction leaders before they get too large, or force faction leader to start an ill-prepared rebellion.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The other thing is that if you have some lovers with good genetic traits in your court and you don't want them dying of toomanycourtiersitis, give them your Honorary titles.
Just having an honorary title is enough for the game to pass them by when it's time to thin the herd.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jiru posted:

I think it depends on your PC and the amount of time the game has been going on. For me even speed 5 gets really slow over time. Pick the one you feel comfortable with, you can always speed it up when nothing's happening and slow down for troop movement/sieges/battles. Also, the pause button is your friend.

Honestly I usually stick the game on speed 4/5 and just pause a lot whenever something big is happening. Maybe that makes me lazy but I rarely get the sense there's too much going on to keep track of aside from the biggest most annoyingly micro wars.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Exactly. As the first law change you should switch inheritance law to something that gives all your titles to one heir (I think in that start Seniority is only one available), since otherwise you would have to regain control of some/most provinces every time you switch a character.

Don't worry about the imprisonment. The guy was caught plotting against someone in your court, and you could have arrested them since you are the head of the state. Most of the time, that type of imprisonment is useful tool to grab faction leaders before they get too large, or force faction leader to start an ill-prepared rebellion.

Also if you don't want to imprison them and just want to make the notification go away, you can just ask them to abandon their plot. If they like you they'll usually say yes (and often they'll say yes even if they don't like you, if there's a big power difference between them and you).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

kingturnip posted:

The other thing is that if you have some lovers with good genetic traits in your court and you don't want them dying of toomanycourtiersitis, give them your Honorary titles.
Just having an honorary title is enough for the game to pass them by when it's time to thin the herd.

Really? I would have thought that being the PC's lover would have been good enough. :shrug:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There are only two speeds: Paused and Speed 5

And the first is only there because that's what the game starts on

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Der Kyhe posted:

Tanistry should also be available . Basically the same thing as it tends towards older & other branches of the family, but at least there's a chance they'll choose some 0 year old child your wife just popped out when everyone else is dead except for your strong genius level 4 education son.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 27, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also if you don't want to imprison them and just want to make the notification go away, you can just ask them to abandon their plot. If they like you they'll usually say yes (and often they'll say yes even if they don't like you, if there's a big power difference between them and you).
And if they say no, that constitutes a traitorous act and you can revoke one of their titles without tyranny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so i've been playing pretty much on full speed pausing when necessary and everyone hates me. i do have 3 holdings of 2 in my demesne as a result of conquering someone. how do I get the number i'm allowed to go up?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jose posted:

so i've been playing pretty much on full speed pausing when necessary and everyone hates me. i do have 3 holdings of 2 in my demesne as a result of conquering someone. how do I get the number i'm allowed to go up?

There's a few ways to increase demesne limit, hover over the number to see what's contributing to it. In general:

- boost your Stewardship with a high-stat wife, Rulership or Business focus, and picking up positive traits when possible,
- move the Centralization law slider towards a centralized state, boosting demesne limit and lowering vassal limit,
- switch into gavelkind succession which gives a bonus (do not actually do this without a way to game it),
- identify the most productive holdings in your demesne and consider giving others away to people like your heir.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Quorum posted:

- identify the most productive holdings in your demesne and consider giving others away to people like your heir.

(do not actually do this unless your heir is already married or you're otherwise unworried about what the AI will do in control of him)

(note: if you are not worried about what the AI will do in control of your heir, you probably should be.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 28, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dallan Invictus posted:

(do not actually do this unless your heir is already married or you're otherwise unworried about what the AI will do in control of him)

Seriously. I once gave my married heir a territory I'd just conquered, and the next time I looked at him, after maybe three years had passed, he'd sired no less than eight bastards, divorced his genius wife, and married his 50 year old aunt :psyduck:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Seriously. I once gave my married heir a territory I'd just conquered, and the next time I looked at him, after maybe three years had passed, he'd sired no less than eight bastards, divorced his genius wife, and married his 50 year old aunt :psyduck:

And after that he became syphilis-addled heretic, right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also you can work your way towards a higher title, if your demesne limit is 2, then you're probably just a count. If you become a duke, that limit is increased, and you can have lower vassal counts beneath you holding the land you can't control directly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jose posted:

Another way to get the numbers up is to get a higher level title. Dukes can hold more land than counts, kings more than dukes and emperors more than kings.

But you can't avoid giving land to others eventually. Vassal management is a core aspect of the game.

Edit: You can also switch to gavelkind inheritance, which gives a nice demesne bonus...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

by holdings is it in the sense that i grand someone the landed title for a county or is thre another way of doing it?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

And after that he became syphilis-addled heretic, right?

I wish, dude was boring as hell when I got around to playing him. He didn't even have the lustful trait, weirdly

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jose posted:

by holdings is it in the sense that i grand someone the landed title for a county or is thre another way of doing it?

The demesne limit counts holdings (basically, baronies) , so if you own multiple castles in a single county they all count against the limit - but that also means that if you own extra baronies in a county you can give those away instead to get back under the limit, and just make the new person into a piddling baron rather than someone worth worrying about.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My favorite gamey stalling tactic to lower my demesne holdings is to get a random, preferably foreign, 65 year old dude with low intrigue and no family into my court, marry him to a 45 year old woman with high intrigue (and preferably Strong/Brawny/high Military education for extra Health) and give him a title. When he dies I get it back, at which point if I don't have specific person I want to give it to or a higher demesne limit, just find another familyless 65 year old dude and repeat.

The dude having ~0 intrigue and his wife having high intrigue is important because the first thing he'll do is the same thing any player would do in his place: try to kill his wife so he can marry someone younger and get an heir.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 28, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

My favorite gamey stalling tactic to lower my demesne holdings is to get a random, preferably foreign, 65 year old dude with low intrigue and no family into my court, marry him to a 45 year old woman with high intrigue (and preferably Strong/Brawny/high Military education for extra Health) and give him a title. When he dies I get it back, at which point if I don't have specific person I want to give it to or a higher demesne limit, just find another familyless 65 year old dude and repeat.

The dude having ~0 intrigue and his wife having high intrigue is important because the first thing he'll do is the same thing any player would do in his place: try to kill his wife so he can marry someone younger and get an heir.

Plus you get a nice little bit of cash when he dies and you inherit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Couldn't he sire a bastard and legitimize him?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Fertility drops as characters get older and the wife would straight up murder potential lovers.

Seriously, noble women are loving ruthless about that sort of thing.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

jfood posted:

Fertility drops as characters get older and the wife would straight up murder potential lovers.

Just like real life.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

They will also murder offspring from other women in order to get their own children to the front of the line of succession. Something to be wary about if you're playing a Muslim and have a strong/genius heir lined up and a half dozen other children from other wives.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

There's a beta patch released today for those interested: click here.

My favorite bit from the patch notes

quote:

- The AI will no longer think that just because going back to Rome with its army briefly seemed like a good idea, it should continue going there even if it becomes apparent going to Rome is a terrible idea

I'm pretty sure paradox is one of the few companies where I will straight up laugh at their patch notes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This one is better...
code:

No longer possible to sacrifice the same person to Satan multiple times

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Syria is a really good start under the Abbasid's in 769

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Syria is a really good start under the Abbasid's in 769

There are no good starts in 769.

:colbert:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

There are no good starts in 769.

:colbert:

769 starts, like anime, was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm late here, but Manicheans getting some attention and there being a new Zoro heresy is really neat. Have the Mazdakites gotten anything or are they planned to do so, or are they still just Zoroastrians but worse? Mazdakism is really neat so it having some reasons to go for it beyond thinking it's cool/wanting to start in 769 Esfahan would be nice.

• Locked thread