Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

Nope, there's plenty of federal judges who have limited tenures, they're just considered "Non-Article III judges". In addition to bankruptcy courts, there's also a variety of tax and claims courts, territorial courts, and military courts helmed by judges without lifetime appointments. And of course magistrate judges, if you want to consider them as well. Not to mention that judges can change Offices or be promoted out of them, despite the nominal "lifetime" duration. I understand that there's an orthodoxy here that considers lifetime appointments to be constitutionally based, but it really isn't. All it would take would be a determined congress to change it. It would go up to the SCOTUS for review of course, but so long as Congress made it clear that it was a political issue, then I think the Supreme Court have little choice but to acquiesce.

The Supreme Court would never rule in favor of that because it would harm them personally. Separation of powers cuts both ways; they'd be totally free to rule that Congress was unconstitutionally interfering with the judiciary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit they upheld the travel ban? What the gently caress?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Lightning Lord posted:

The language is vague. How do you prove you have ties to the US? Seems like it can be easily abused. And does just knowing someone count?

I think it's safe to say that if you have a job in the US, or relatives, you're good.

But until we get the results of the actual case in the fall, the decision will be made on an ad-hoc basis by customs officers at the borders, which is not good.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Lord posted:

I've been listening to Chapo Trap House lately

Also stuff like the establishment Dems (other than the guy you mentioned) refusing to back single payer, as well as it being blocked in California doesn't fill me with hope.

Sadly single payer on the state level isn't very promising; its overwhelming failure at ballot in Colorado suggests it's a losing proposition most places. The way to go there is probably federal, after 2020, at earliest. :(

Also Chapo, while better than Young Turks, shares some of the same blind spots, so it's probably good to round out your listening diet with some more process-focused stuff as well, I'd say. The unanimous consent thing hasn't gotten much play but it was a big move.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 26, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

Statute, senate rule, DC needs an amendment to address the amendment that gave them electoral votes but PR could go through with Congress, statute or house rule, mixed member districts might require an amendment but you might get away with a statute as I don't recall whether the court or the congress banned it but the Congress definitely has the authority to dictate how states hold the elections for Congress, amendment probably since it's a state domain issue, amendment definitely.

The constitutional basis for Congress to proscribe rules for congressional elections is very, very clear and it should permit any reasonable regulation, such as proportional representation, bans on gerrymandering, etc:

quote:

Section 4
1: The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

It is abundantly clear that Congress has the power to make or alter any regulation the States can pass from that clause, and states obviously have the power to chose to have multimember districts, proportional representation, etc (except they are currently banned by congressional law).

That said, conservatives on the Supreme Court are likely to latch uncritically onto whatever nonsense Republicans come up with to challenge it so you might find a 5-4 decision if the Gorusch theft is not reversed finding the constitution says whatever Republicans need it to say in that particular instance.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

BlueberryCanary posted:

Travel ban reinstated by supreme court
Church schools are declared they cannot be denied public funds
Supreme court set to take up and bungle important lgbt rights case

It's not really reinstated as much as they are taking it on are they not? I do not expect the travel ban to be upheld by the Supreme Court.

I'm not sure about the second point as I understand it it is simply about getting a playground paved is that right? The case really wasn't about seperation of power as stated in that dissent...but maybe I'm wrong?

I never expected the later to never really pass in this current political climate. I guess LGBT couples who want to marry will have to find a caterer who approves. Not my biggest concern at this point in time.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Quorum posted:

Sadly single payer on the state level isn't very promising; its overwhelming failure at ballot in Colorado suggests it's a losing proposition most places. The way to go there is probably federal, after 2020, at earliest. :(

I just wish we could get rid of the people yelling for centrism is all, I'm not asking for a Democrat Politburo to be set up but we need more Sanderites to have power

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, is the supreme court really going on a recess without actually hearing the travel ban case right after allowing it to stand between now and when they rule?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It is difficult to make single-payer work at the state level because single-payer is expensive so you must raise taxes, and it's much easier for the rich and corporations to dodge state taxes than federal taxes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

It's not really reinstated as much as they are taking it on are they not? I do not expect the travel ban to be upheld by the Supreme Court.

It is mostly reinstated, barring certain exceptions. Which doesn't bode well.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bad omen for who? It appears to me that the bigots only have three votes on the court as stands. The religious ruling is garbage as always (i.e. churches wanting all the favorable treatment of an organization with non of the stuff they don't want like taxes) but it starting to look like same-sex marriage and rights we normally see associated with it (like child rearing) aren't something that has judicial will or public opinion to challenge anymore. I don't know if that will translate into any other rights (spec. employment rights) but it sounds kind of promising.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

business hammocks posted:

Wait, is the supreme court really going on a recess without actually hearing the travel ban case right after allowing it to stand between now and when they rule?

Correct.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

No, they removed the injuction and agreed to hear the case in the Fall session.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

They aren't hearing the case until later this year. They've allowed it to be somewhat implemented in the meantime.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

business hammocks posted:

Yup. And this was incredibly fast for a federal case.

The other case they granted cert today, on the bakers and the gay cake? That started in 2012.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

No, they removed the injuction and agreed to hear the case in the Fall session.

They partially removed the injuction, everyone's still trying to figure out who's blockable and who's not.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

I just wish we could get rid of the people yelling for centrism is all, I'm not asking for a Democrat Politburo to be set up but we need more Sanderites to have power

I'm afraid you get to work with what you have, and frankly it looks like there are more voting Democrats who lean closer to the center than vice versa, especially in primaries. You saw this in VA-- while the two candidates were pretty close politically, their styles definitely appealed to different wings of the party. While polls had them close, the old style Southern drawl guy with ties to local and state Democratic parties won handily because the other guy relied heavily on infrequent voters. Leftism wins when it can turn out its people.

e: to clarify cuz I was in a hurry and my tone probably sounds didactic (sorry), I'm pretty involved in this issue too and it's a frustration for me, albeit mostly locally

Quorum fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 26, 2017

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know how to read the Church ruling.

As long as all members of the public, regardless of religion, can use said playground, and as long as mosques/synagogues/hindu temples etc. are also allowed to use state funds, it can't be an issue, can it?

People on this forum hate christianity more than anything so the sky is falling, etc, etc...

Go look at the "does the left hate religion" thread. Absolute shithole.

It's not that big of a deal. There are bigger fish to fry.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evilweasel posted:

Article I v Article III judges

You might disagree with this perspective, but that certainly doesn't mean that you're correct about it. The idea that there is a bright line between different types of federal judges runs face-first into the blanket language of Article III, which clearly recognizes the inferior courts separately authorized, and includes them in the "Good Behavior" provision. Your perspective tries to make an argument that there is some sort of fundamental division of "inferior courts" into "Covered by Art. III" and "Not Covered by Art. III", but there just isn't any substantiation for it. Inferior courts have a wide variety of powers and jurisdiction, but they're clearly all being invoked in that line. There's a lot of clarity there. And beyond that, it's important to recognize that this perspective relies on a flexible interpretation of language on this line - and once accepted, that same flexibility could be applied in a different way, i.e. interpreting "Good Behavior" as being a limited term. You can't have it both ways.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

People on this forum hate christianity more than anything so the sky is falling, etc, etc...

Go look at the "does the left hate religion" thread. Absolute shithole.

It's not that big of a deal. There are bigger fish to fry.

Oxxidation posted:

gently caress off, MIGF.

Oxxidation posted:

gently caress off, MIGF.

Oxxidation posted:

gently caress off, MIGF.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Yup. And this was incredibly fast for a federal case.

Judicial activism? Or is it just because it was dealing with an injunction

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You can always tell when evilweasel is upset because he finds some L2 to beat up on.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Was wondering who made that parachute gimmick. Thanks!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Quorum posted:

I'm afraid you get to work with what you have, and frankly it looks like there are more voting Democrats who lean closer to the center than vice versa, especially in primaries. You saw this in VA-- while the two candidates were pretty close politically, their styles definitely appealed to different wings of the party. While polls had them close, the old style Southern drawl guy with ties to local and state Democratic parties won handily because the other guy relied heavily on infrequent voters. Leftism wins when it can turn out its people.

Ok, fine. So what incentives do Democrats have to push single payer now? They tried a lite version of it (because they got ratfucked to be fair) and got horribly, horribly burned. They probably have no stomach for it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

You can always tell when evilweasel is upset because he finds some L2 to beat up on.

I can't imagine an actual law student is making this argument about judges.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

They partially removed the injuction, everyone's still trying to figure out who's blockable and who's not.

I mean, they removed the injunction. Adding some caveats to it doesn't mean a god drat thing when our border patrol, ICE, and customs agents basically enforce poo poo seemingly as they see fit.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lightning Lord posted:

Injunctions have been issued by several district courts and circuit courts very quickly, and that more or less needs to be addressed. Since this is a case that would end up in front of them regardless of how the lower courts rule, they may as well skip the middlemen and have the arguments now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Supreme Court would never rule in favor of that because it would harm them personally. Separation of powers cuts both ways; they'd be totally free to rule that Congress was unconstitutionally interfering with the judiciary.

They're of course free to rule however they wish, but there is extensive precedent that Congress should hold sway over political matters, and that the judiciary has and should submit themselves to that authority in those instances. If Congress is changing up the Supreme Court for reasons of political balance - particularly if it was being done in an even-handed way like imposing uniform tenure limits - then precedent would suggest that Congress has the authority to do that. If the Supreme Court wanted to upend that precedent in a defense of their own personal power, and thereby start a fight with a clearly determined Congress, then that would be their choice. But it probably would not end there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

You might disagree with this perspective, but that certainly doesn't mean that you're correct about it. The idea that there is a bright line between different types of federal judges runs face-first into the blanket language of Article III, which clearly recognizes the inferior courts separately authorized, and includes them in the "Good Behavior" provision. Your perspective tries to make an argument that there is some sort of fundamental division of "inferior courts" into "Covered by Art. III" and "Not Covered by Art. III", but there just isn't any substantiation for it. Inferior courts have a wide variety of powers and jurisdiction, but they're clearly all being invoked in that line. There's a lot of clarity there. And beyond that, it's important to recognize that this perspective relies on a flexible interpretation of language on this line - and once accepted, that same flexibility could be applied in a different way, i.e. interpreting "Good Behavior" as being a limited term. You can't have it both ways.

No, I am absolutely correct about it, and like I said even if you accept your argument that all this Article I stuff is wrong you get only that we should strike down the Article I stuff. There is no basis in the constitution for "well, this stuff was in violation of the constitution, therefore we have to allow this other stuff in violation of the constitution." If you manage to get a court to accept that the Article I courts are really in violation of Article III, you get the Article I courts struck down - just like has already happened twice in history. And you definitely cannot extend it to the Supreme Court because the Constitution is specific that the Supreme Court is an Article III court and the judges on it have the protection of Article III.

Like someone said this is gold fringe logic.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

It's not judicial activism, it's a god drat constitutional crisis.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Ok, fine. So what incentives do Democrats have to push single payer now? They tried a lite version of it (because they got ratfucked to be fair) and got horribly, horribly burned. They probably have no stomach for it.

Honestly if anything the blowback the GOP is getting for its hamhanded attack on ACA seems to be lending steel to calls for at the very least a public option. The gambit was to get something passed once the public option got shanked by Lieberman, and once it became unassailable, to build from there. While it may not have become unassailable, now that it's been around a while, it's become popular enough that destroying it will be very damaging to the GOP and that gives the dems room to work. Remember, that thing Pelosi said she got attacked for (that she probably wouldn't see single payer in her lifetime) also included her support for a public option, and she's known for putting it all on the line to pass a presidents agenda even if she's not on board politically, like with cap and tax. If a president can get elected on supporting single payer, with a democratic Congress, it's more likely than not to happen. And I'd be dead shocked if after the AHCA heathcare somehow became a dead issue on the campaign trail-- the attack ads have already been flying and that's just for special elections.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

They're of course free to rule however they wish, but there is extensive precedent that Congress should hold sway over political matters, and that the judiciary has and should submit themselves to that authority in those instances. If Congress is changing up the Supreme Court for reasons of political balance - particularly if it was being done in an even-handed way like imposing uniform tenure limits - then precedent would suggest that Congress has the authority to do that. If the Supreme Court wanted to upend that precedent in a defense of their own personal power, and thereby start a fight with a clearly determined Congress, then that would be their choice. But it probably would not end there.

This is also gold fringe logic about the "political question" doctrine and has no connection whatsoever to the actual political question doctrine. What the political question doctrine means is the Supreme Court will not interfere where the Constitution makes another part of government the appropriate part of government to make a decision on that question. It does not mean that if Congress decides something is a political matter the Supreme Court will step aside.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Playstation 4 posted:

RBG has learned the ways of the Cheney. Spite shall keep her heart beating long past the mortal coil's wishes.

I recall people on this forum saying this exact thing about Scalia.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

It is mostly reinstated, barring certain exceptions. Which doesn't bode well.

Yeah, it's not good. My guess is Roberts is angling for a 9-0 punt on standing grounds in the fall.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Quorum posted:

Honestly if anything the blowback the GOP is getting for its hamhanded attack on ACA seems to be lending steel to calls for at the very least a public option. The gambit was to get something passed once the public option got shanked by Lieberman, and once it became unassailable, to build from there. While it may not have become unassailable, now that it's been around a while, it's become popular enough that destroying it will be very damaging to the GOP and that gives the dems room to work. Remember, that thing Pelosi said she got attacked for (that she probably wouldn't see single payer in her lifetime) also included her support for a public option, and she's known for putting it all on the line to pass a presidents agenda even if she's not on board politically, like with cap and tax. If a president can get elected on supporting single payer, with a democratic Congress, it's more likely than not to happen. And I'd be dead shocked if after the AHCA heathcare somehow became a dead issue on the campaign trail-- the attack ads have already been flying and that's just for special elections.

I'm guessing you regard the idea that the GOP are going nuts with Trumpcare because they know (not are convinced, which they always are) they will never lose again as political fan fiction?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm guessing you regard the idea that the GOP are going nuts with Trumpcare because they know (not are convinced, which they always are) they will never lose again as political fan fiction?

that is definitely political fan fiction

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

I recall people on this forum saying this exact thing about Scalia.

RBG doesn't eat a canoli every Tuesday and probably exercises to the degree she's able.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

evilweasel posted:

It is difficult to make single-payer work at the state level because single-payer is expensive so you must raise taxes, and it's much easier for the rich and corporations to dodge state taxes than federal taxes.

Agreed. If I was a resident of Colorado I would vote against it too. Because anytime anyone gets cancer in the U.S. they will just rent a small room in Colorado and get treatment for life on dime of taxpayers there? It should be at federal level for sure to make it work. Having a state/some states pay for healthcare of the rest of the country is dumb. Plus yeah the whole situation of living in one state, but working/paying taxes in another etc. Corporations will also all leave to a different state that doesn't have it to pay less.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 26, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

There is no evidence to suggest this, not even to the degree of interfering with Mueller's investigation for what it might discover. They are just shameless ghouls who grab at anything they think they can snatch in the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lightning Lord posted:

They are more likely to lose if they pass nothing.

• Locked thread