Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is that stated in the comic? Because I'm fairly certain they depicted both versions of Jor-El and Lara holding up the globe after the Return to Krypton stories that started in 2006.

In Nu52 Fortress it has Ma and Pa Kent as well as the Els holding up their respective worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

In Nu52 Fortress it has Ma and Pa Kent as well as the Els holding up the planet.

Oh that, I thought you meant alternate versions of his Kryptonian parents and I was confused!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jiro posted:

In Nu52 Fortress it has Ma and Pa Kent as well as the Els holding up their respective worlds.

I thought that the reason he didn't have a statute to his Earth parents was in his world they weren't dead. (Okay Jonathan Kent died about two years before Flashpoint but still.)

Sort of weird to build statutes honouring people who are still alive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The reason people like Tomasi's Superman is that it's a natural advancement of Clark's character to Father. Yeah he'd been a dad pre-Nu52, but that hadn't really had a chance to develop his character like Tomasi's Superman. How often do you get Super Hero fathers? especially when you have dumb poo poo editors who thinks it ages the characters to be happy. It's certainly a better turn for Superman than becoming more alienated from the world or becoming broodier.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Onmi posted:

The reason people like Tomasi's Superman is that it's a natural advancement of Clark's character to Father. Yeah he'd been a dad pre-Nu52, but that hadn't really had a chance to develop his character like Tomasi's Superman. How often do you get Super Hero fathers? especially when you have dumb poo poo editors who thinks it ages the characters to be happy. It's certainly a better turn for Superman than becoming more alienated from the world or becoming broodier.

Animal man until Grant Morrisons cat died

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

The Question IRL posted:

I thought that the reason he didn't have a statute to his Earth parents was in his world they weren't dead. (Okay Jonathan Kent died about two years before Flashpoint but still.)

Sort of weird to build statutes honouring people who are still alive.

I thought this too, but then it occurred to me that it's possible he's referring to his temporary fortress, which was built in a mountain and where he helped the New 52 Hank Henshaw--I think, currently, his parents are dead? At least Pa was as of Flashpoint like you mentioned, but I'm not sure what exactly is up with Superman's native reality these days. I think it exists in a separate multiverse, but that may only be a roundish chunk of Metropolis? Anyways, I can't remember if his private Mount Justice had the statue to his birth parents or not, and I don't have the issues any more to pull up :(

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Autism Sneaks posted:

I thought this too, but then it occurred to me that it's possible he's referring to his temporary fortress, which was built in a mountain and where he helped the New 52 Hank Henshaw--I think, currently, his parents are dead? At least Pa was as of Flashpoint like you mentioned, but I'm not sure what exactly is up with Superman's native reality these days. I think it exists in a separate multiverse, but that may only be a roundish chunk of Metropolis? Anyways, I can't remember if his private Mount Justice had the statue to his birth parents or not, and I don't have the issues any more to pull up :(

I'm pretty sure Ma Kent is dead too. It really annoys me how they have to constantly kill them off (at least Pa) to parallel the movies, but I can relate to Clark. Raising a son, but you can't ask your father for advice because he's gone...

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

pubic works project posted:

I'm pretty sure Ma Kent is dead too. It really annoys me how they have to constantly kill them off (at least Pa) to parallel the movies, but I can relate to Clark. Raising a son, but you can't ask your father for advice because he's gone...

In the New 52 continuity, Martha and Jonathan die by way of drunk driver while Clark is still a teenager, before he becomes Superman. Though this wasn't the case at the time the panel takes place, the old Superman and the new Superman (not the New SuperHyphenMan) are now just one Superman with one history and two dead parents. Er, four.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has there ever been a comic where Jor-El and Jonathan Kent meet? Whether via time travel, holographically, or in the afterlife? That would be a fun team up.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Has there ever been a comic where Jor-El and Jonathan Kent meet? Whether via time travel, holographically, or in the afterlife? That would be a fun team up.

The only one I can think of is the Afterlife issue of Death of Superman. Pa has a heart attack or something right after Clark "dies."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Return to Krypton from 2005 or so.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now that I think about it, Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #106 is maybe most crucial thing to read. This run is basically one big throwback to that issue.

I get that this is a (in?)famous issue, but how is the entire current Tomasi run a throwback to that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Been reading Superman via trades and I just finished the trade that has Superman taking his wife and kid to the county fair. That issue was awesome and I wish there more issues of Supes living in a small town and doing small town things inbetween saving the world.
It is kind of amusing how far the latest Superman stuff is from the whole "no marriage, no kids, no adult life" 52 stuff. Also refreshing. It shows you can have a fun family orientated comic which seemed to be everything that Nu52 wasn't about.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

I get that this is a (in?)famous issue, but how is the entire current Tomasi run a throwback to that?

Connect the dots, bruv.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No Jean Paul?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Has there ever been an issue where his "family" try to throw him a birthday party, because if not there should totally be an issue where everyone throws Bruce a birthday party.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Has there ever been an issue where his "family" try to throw him a birthday party, because if not there should totally be an issue where everyone throws Bruce a birthday party.

Like all unexplainably awesome things, didn't injustice do this? Or was it just a birthday for alfred?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Forget him. What about Ace?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

They did something like this in Li'l Gotham, which is a great all-ages comic that everyone should read.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Forget him. What about Ace?

If we are adding ace, what about bat-cow?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I know I'm way behind but finally read the Prez (2016) trade. So sad it got cancelled, but I can understand why. I don't think I've seen such a brutally depressing possible future laid out in panels in forever.

Good fun while it lasted though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PJOmega posted:

I know I'm way behind but finally read the Prez (2016) trade. So sad it got cancelled, but I can understand why. I don't think I've seen such a brutally depressing possible future laid out in panels in forever.

Good fun while it lasted though.

It was a comic too good for this world. RIP Carl the end-of-life bear.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Onmi posted:

How often do you get Super Hero fathers?

Had that as far back as 2005 with Wally West, though DC did everything in their power to muck it up.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Onmi posted:

How often do you get Super Hero fathers?

1. Clark
2. Bruce
3. Wally
4. Ted Knight
5. Deathstroke (he's like an anti-hero)
6. Arsenal

Those are just DC ones. I'm really bored at work...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This, also, happened in Injustice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

1. Clark
2. Bruce
3. Wally
4. Ted Knight
5. Deathstroke (he's like an anti-hero)
6. Arsenal

Those are just DC ones. I'm really bored at work...

Really surprised that Nightwing doesn't have a lil bastard running around somewhere out there.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Madkal posted:

Really surprised that Nightwing doesn't have a lil bastard running around somewhere out there.

Didn't he just knock up his new girlfriend?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/879428194692190208

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't he just knock up his new girlfriend?

It was a false alarm

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
AV Club has Batman/Elmer Fudd preview pages and oh my God, it's more beautiful than I could have imagined. The one downside is that his lady love isn't Bugs in drag like we all guessed, but on the other hand, the killer left behind a carrot as a calling card and seriously this owns so much.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

AV Club has Batman/Elmer Fudd preview pages and oh my God, it's more beautiful than I could have imagined. The one downside is that his lady love isn't Bugs in drag like we all guessed, but on the other hand, the killer left behind a carrot as a calling card and seriously this owns so much.

Those are awesome, but I'm having trouble translating his first line. "My wider weft her phone in the cwar." Is wider supposed to be wife?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PJOmega posted:

Those are awesome, but I'm having trouble translating his first line. "My wider weft her phone in the cwar." Is wider supposed to be wife?
Rider. He's dressed as a chauffeur.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Rider. He's dressed as a chauffeur.

Thank you, that makes so much sense I don't know why I missed it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I may have just bought the first 56 issues of the original Swamp Thing run. 19 issues in is when Alan Moore starts. Will be a ride.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think that the Superman/Batman series from the 2000s had an issue where Jor-El and Thomas Wayne teamed up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I vaguely remember that story. Doesn't Jor El send a probe to Eartb to see if it'd be a suitable place to go if something happens to Krypton?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Question IRL posted:

I think that the Superman/Batman series from the 2000s had an issue where Jor-El and Thomas Wayne teamed up.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I vaguely remember that story. Doesn't Jor El send a probe to Eartb to see if it'd be a suitable place to go if something happens to Krypton?

Yeah, it was issue 50

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/supermanbatman-50-the-fathers/4000-134574/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/879911109217710081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So now that all the Looney Tunes crossovers are out, I'd rate them like this.

Jonah Hex>Wonder Woman>Lobo>Legion>Martian Manhunter>Batman