Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Yo Tender Bender, might it be that you parse the scene as being video-gamey because it draws from video games which depict similar battles in space? Like Obi-Wan and Anakin flying along the capital ship and then the larger battle being revealed as they move past it- that sort of framing is frequently used in space combat games. But large scale space warfare is rarely attempted in film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Perhaps because the CG looks chintzy and unconvincing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

Perhaps because the CG looks chintzy and unconvincing?

It doesn't, though.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

A big aspect that nobody's talked about yet is camera movement. Starting around 2000 or so it became possible to do long shots with lots of CGI and a dynamic camera. In video games, growing budgets and advancing PC and console hardware made lengthy and intricate pre-rendered cut scenes possible. In both cases, essentially all conventional restraints on what a scene could show, and from what angle(s), vanished. So people experimented, and made long shots where the camera flies and zooms all around a scene, without cutting, in a way that was flatly impossible before.

So the idea of a single shot, totally free camera appeared in both film and video games at about the same time, because it became technically possible in both media around the same time. Sometimes it was used well, sometimes not. Some of the "video game" association comes from that fact.

But even more specifically, the explosion of QTEs in video games (from 2005ish, when both Resident Evil 4 and ROTS came out) is really what people are thinking about when they say a film feels like a video game. Think about how a camera needs to move in a QTE - far enough to see the context of the action, but darting in as player responses are needed, then back out to show their results. So the camera does a more or less elaborate dance with the action, as a branching cut-scene plays out. This may or may not happen in a single shot. RE4 has many fast cuts, and a hyper, non-physical camera that flies all over. In the Uncharted games the camera tends to orbit the action a little more sedately during set-pieces, zooming closer to let you play, then back out as you trigger a scripted event.

Which is essentially what the camera does in that opening ROTS shot - it orbits the protagonists, darting in and out, focusing on near or far elements of the background as they zoom past and do something unique. And the rest of the scene follows a similar pattern, with cuts to closeups for reaction/dialogue, and cuts to wide shots establish context.

That's the connection people are making - the camera moves in a way that's familiar from a ("cinematic"!) videogame like Uncharted, where you're expected to alternate smoothly between playing and watching as some (organic feeling, but completely scripted) new wrinkle is thrown at you.

So I kind of agree with SMG: people may be unconsciously interpreting a scene as gameplay, and then ascribing the sense of lost tension to the scene itself, rather than their unconscious and unfulfilled (by the nature of the film medium) desire to have some agency within it.

In the case of ROTS I don't think the video game comparison is particularly fair - space combat is hard to depict, because there's no fundamental context for the action, just the void. It's the one place where a freely floating camera makes sense. Further, most depictions of space combat, or aerial combat, are usually essentially 2D instead of (rightly) 3D. So a long take that zips through multiple layers of a battle volume is actually appropriate, to show something we hadn't really seen before, in a way we hadn't seen before. Otherwise, that scene plays out much like an Indiana Jones vehicle hopping action scene. Which are all pretty cheesy and self indulgent.

The opening shot, and the moment Cnut put in that gif, are legitimately great and breathtaking. As the scene goes on it gets less and less exciting, and the later parts of it are pretty unremarkable. The videogames it might feel most like still came out afterward, though. And in any case the similarity comes from a legitimate co-evolution of technique in the face of similar creative problems.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Bongo Bill posted:

It doesn't, though.

It does, though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
gently caress those dumb little buzzdroids. Like, why fill a missile with buzzdroids instead of explosives? If you can get a missile close enough...to...fire buzzdroids...just cut out the middle man.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

gently caress those dumb little buzzdroids. Like, why fill a missile with buzzdroids instead of explosives? If you can get a missile close enough...to...fire buzzdroids...just cut out the middle man.

They're kamikaze pilots.

Those little dudes had Obi-Wan beat. He had fully accepted his death.

But no, this battle above Coruscant wasn't threatening to our heroes at all...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
R4 hadn't accepted his death. He screams as his head is ripped off.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm pretty sure the tactically realistic side of buzz droids is that they're designed to be launched at capital ships and do massive systemic damage over a relatively long period, while slipping under the defense systems designed to stop larger threats.

They're the Federation's equivalent of the rebels attacking the Death Star, sorta. R2-D2 zaps one with lightning because he's a sith lord. :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Prolonged Priapism posted:

:words: about camerawork

In both cases, essentially all conventional restraints on what a scene could show, and from what angle(s), vanished.

These are great points that I wasn't conscious of,thanks!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Otherwise, that scene plays out much like an Indiana Jones vehicle hopping action scene. Which are all pretty cheesy and self indulgent.

It's not at all dissimilar structurally to an Indiana Jones vehicle hopping scene, and it's far from the only film to feature that structure. What I take issue with is the degree to which the surrounding conflict is unconvincingly sidelined during those isolated encounters. It's comparable to an Indiana Jones Vehicle Hopping scene that takes place on Normandy Beach.

More effective space battles in the series tend to credibly isolate the characters (i.e. directing them into a trench) or don't feature extended isolated focused sequences in the middle of chaos.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 26, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

More effective space battles in the series tend to credibly isolate the characters (i.e. directing them into a trench) or don't feature extended isolated focused sequences in the middle of chaos.

Luke has the leisure and space to wrap a towing cable around an AT-AT in notable Episode VII trash prequel The Empire Strikes Back.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Speaking of video games, the new Battlefront trailer had a hell of a lot of battle droids in it for a series allegedly trying desperately to usher the prequels out of the big budget spotlight so they fade from public memory. It almost seems like people were disappointed with their exclusion from the first one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Battle Droids are cool, no matter what anyone says. They're as out-of-touch with the realities of drone warfare as anything in the OT was about technology and that makes it really fun.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Battle droids are in every sense slave soldiers with a sense of humor about their situation. They're nothing like drones or drone warfare.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't understand what making the space battle "threatening" would actually entail. If there are thousands of giant battleships shooting at each other, why would they direct their attention at two one-man planes anyway? Also, Anakin and Obi-Wan have already been established as glib adventurers, showing them at the height of that, and of their powers and partnership in general, provides contrast for when, at the end of the movie, the two have a duel in hell, as well as when they appear in the Original Trilogy as "Old Ben" and "Darth Vader", mere shadows of what they used to be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

I don't understand what making the space battle "threatening" would actually entail. If there are thousands of giant battleships shooting at each other, why would they direct their attention at two one-man planes anyway? Also, Anakin and Obi-Wan have already been established as glib adventurers, showing them at the height of that, and of their powers and partnership in general, provides contrast for when, at the end of the movie, the two have a duel in hell, as well as when they appear in the Original Trilogy as "Old Ben" and "Darth Vader", mere shadows of what they used to be.

Well, ANH did it by introducing a whole squadron of fighters and then killing the pilots off one by one to show that the battle was an incredibly dangerous borderline suicide mission. If you only ever see the two main characters, its tough for there to be a real sense of danger because you know they are going to make it. Of course, that's kind of the point of some of those prequel scenes, it's all somewhat easy for Anakin, he never really has to try very hard when it comes to space battles.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

homullus posted:

Luke has the leisure and space to wrap a towing cable around an AT-AT in notable Episode VII trash prequel The Empire Strikes Back.

Right, and that feels convincing due to how that battlefield is framed, as the individual walkers and ground troops become more spread out during their slow march on the shield generator.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 26, 2017

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Well, ANH did it by introducing a whole squadron of fighters and then killing the pilots off one by one to show that the battle was an incredibly dangerous borderline suicide mission. If you only ever see the two main characters, its tough for there to be a real sense of danger because you know they are going to make it. Of course, that's kind of the point of some of those prequel scenes, it's all somewhat easy for Anakin, he never really has to try very hard when it comes to space battles.

Yeah, but that made sense for the logic of the scene. The fighter squadrons were the only Rebel combatants, it was all about them. On the other hand, Anakin and Obi-Wan find themselves in the middle of a massive battle between two fleets of battleships, so it's only logical that there would be fighting going on in the background.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Right, and that feels convincing due to how that battlefield is framed, as the individual walkers and ground troops become more spread out during their slow march on the shield generator.

That battle was just as threatening to the heroes -- Luke Skywalker is shot down and his gunner killed not long after that scene. That shot is the way it is due to the technical limitations of the special effects of the day; I don't think it's there to show how "spread out" the troops became.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

Yeah, but that made sense for the logic of the scene. The fighter squadrons were the only Rebel combatants, it was all about them. On the other hand, Anakin and Obi-Wan find themselves in the middle of a massive battle between two fleets of battleships, so it's only logical that there would be fighting going on in the background.

The stakes of that scene aren't in the space battle itself, that's the difference. So maybe some would argue that a space battle should always have high stakes and feel dangerous, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

homullus posted:

That battle was just as threatening to the heroes -- Luke Skywalker is shot down and his gunner killed not long after that scene.

I agree. Even as Luke engages in this individual setpiece I don't feel he is inexplicably insulated from the battle, which feels dangerous and exciting.

homullus posted:

That shot is the way it is due to the technical limitations of the special effects of the day; I don't think it's there to show how "spread out" the troops became.

Whatever the reasoning behind it the walkers and troops are quite spread out after the initial sighting. It's what we see onscreen in the actual film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The ROTS space battle works well "in-story", in that the idea is that the Separatists make a big attack on Coruscant to capture the Chancellor and get caught by the Republic fleet and it's a massive clusterfuck in orbit. Of course, the whole thing is a show for the cameras- Sidious orders it, lets himself get "caught" knowing the Jedi will likely swoop in to the rescue (and if not, well, he's in no real danger), and we get a big victory but also everyone on Coruscant is shook up so more emergency powers it is, then.

It's sort of like an old school naval battle- as late as WWII naval engagements were "wander around until you find the enemy, then everything explodes", because the ocean is very big, and of course space is even bigger, so when ships did find each other whatever strategy you may have had probably is out the window. The Battle of Midway was decided by one of the Allied bomber groups showing up just as the Japanese planes were refueling.

So yeah, it's a mess. In terms of the immediate narrative, all we need to know is there's a big gently caress off fight and Anakin and Obi-Wan have to fly through it to get to one ship. It's also really, really pretty- all purple and orange and lots of bright crazy colors in space. The space battle in Episode I is kinda straightforward because it has to share time with three or four other things because Lucas wants to take this parallel action thing as far as it can go, and in Episode II it's a small-scale chase and the big action sequence is on the ground. So this is the "spaceships going woosh and kaboom" sequence we've really been waiting for.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

Well, ANH did it by introducing a whole squadron of fighters and then killing the pilots off one by one to show that the battle was an incredibly dangerous borderline suicide mission.

The battle at the start of Episode 3 takes place at the start of the film. It's not a climactic battle; the film begins with what is effectively the end of the war.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

homullus posted:

That battle was just as threatening to the heroes -- Luke Skywalker is shot down and his gunner killed not long after that scene. That shot is the way it is due to the technical limitations of the special effects of the day; I don't think it's there to show how "spread out" the troops became.

Yeah probably, but the spread out thing is good too.

Currently modern armor (tanks) are often not even in visual range of each other when in a battle line.

And, as an infantryman, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those big stompy feet.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Whose alt is Pachakuti anyway?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Obi-Wan and Anakin don't care about the wider battle. They do their job so that we can do ours.

Well, Anakin cares a bit. This is important later on.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Always liked the reveal at the beginning of ROTS where Ani and Obi dive down into the battle and it just keeps going down in layers and layers. No other star war that I can recall took such advantage of the three-dimensional nature of space battle.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine describing any prequel scene as breathtaking or beautiful lol

Wank emoji

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Imagine describing any prequel scene as breathtaking or beautiful lol

Wank emoji

Not even Duel of the Fates?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Not even Duel of the Fates?

Wank emoji

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Wank emoji

You're such a downer

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lampsacus posted:

yes. the characters of r1 were well constructed.

Yes I really enjoyed orphan who rebels and guy who will do anything for the rebellion but only that one time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So who still thinks the Han Solo movies going to be good?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Covok posted:

The guy the cast to play Han Solo, apparently.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Judakel posted:

Yes I really enjoyed orphan who rebels and guy who will do anything for the rebellion but only that one time.
This, but unironically.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmao Lord and Miller totally told Lawrence Kasdan, director of Dreamcatcher, to gently caress off and got fired because Kathleen Kennedy thinks directing Empire and Jedi 30+ years ago with George Lucas 3/4ths the way up your rear end makes you some sort of Star Wars god.

I think the movie would have been good if Howard was on it from the start but taking that much Miller/Lord footage and trying to have someone else wrangle something out of it is gonna be a poo poo show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What's the timeline for these films? I'm assuming we're getting 8 around December, and then the Han Solo film next year, and 9 after that?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Like, for real, Kasdan deserved a shot at TFA because of who he is just to see if he's still got it but he should have been put back on the shelf when it was clear there was no signature touch or whatever he was bringing. He can gently caress off to his Boba Fett movie or whatever but lets not forget this is a guy who was (very rightly) thrown into Hollywood exile after writing and directing a shockingly terrible movie and then came back after 11 years to write and direct a merely lovely movie.

He should be respected and consulted for what he's done in the past and his insight into the gears and cogs of star wars but get his hand off the goddamn wheel. He definitely should not be getting any sort of say on someone else's dailies or being given the ability to fly down to someone elses set and swing dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The guy who wrote and directed this is being flown onto the sets of Star Wars movies to yell at people for not doing it his way:

quote:

Beth Winter (Keaton) rescues a lost dog from the roadside and names him Freeway. Her children have grown up and moved away, and her husband, Joseph (Kline), is distracted and self-involved. Beth forms a strong friendship with the dog and is deeply upset when, after her daughter's wedding, her husband loses the dog. They engage the service of a psychic gypsy to find the dog again.

In the end after finally giving up, the family boards an airplane. While flying over the mountains, Beth sees the dog and her husband fakes a ruptured appendix to have the pilot turn the airplane around. In one last attempt at a search, they scour the trees in the area Beth saw the dog, when at last Freeway appears in a field and runs to Beth, reunited at last, bringing the family closer together.

• Locked thread