Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It's nice that you enjoy reading but do you also do it when guests are at your house and you have no internet or TV or penicillin

We'll, I'm not a benadictine monk in the 6th century. But if I have guests and no TV, internet, or penicillin, I'm assuming it's the Apocalypse and I might as well catch up on the last few issues of Foxfire Magazine while I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That is downright wonderful

Leeches had been used medicinally for a really long drat time for a lot of things. Modern medicine for a large part of its existence went "...what the gently caress?" That was also the response to practices like bloodletting to cure certain things.

Then somebody decided to actually, you know, properly study it and found out that ancient medicine was actually on to something. Certain species of leech got the OK from the FDA in relatively recent history for some things because, well, they loving work.

There's also a certain kind of maggot that's used to get dead tissue out of bad wounds because they won't eat living meat. They'll devour every last shred of already dead tissue. Then you rinse them out, clean the wound again, and stitch it up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mikl posted:

Inspired by a video I watched yesterday, I give you Julie D'Aubigny.
And that's something you might not have known about. :respek:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Most people don't know this, but Rome still exists.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

Some people would claim that the one single continuously existing country that was once the Roman Empire is now the Vatican. If so, they shrunk quite a bit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That depends on what you mean by "The Roman Empire". And whether the Vatican can technically be called a country.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
The bishop of Rome split from the Empire in the mid 750s and ran squealing to the barbarians with forged paperwork claiming that Constantine totally gave the entire Western Roman Empire to Pope Sylvester, honest.

The Donation of Constantine posted:

Wherefore, in order that the supreme pontificate may not deteriorate, but may rather be adorned with glory and power even more than is the dignity of an earthly rule; behold, we give over and relinquish to the aforesaid our most blessed Pontiff, Sylvester, the universal Pope, as well our palace, as has been said, as also the city of Rome, and all the provinces, places and cities of Italy and the western regions, and we decree by this our godlike and pragmatic sanction that they are to be controlled by him and by his successors, and we grant that they shall remain under the law of the holy Roman church.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jun 25, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Byzantine posted:

The bishop of Rome split from the Empire in the mid 750s and ran squealing to the barbarians with forged paperwork claiming that Constantine totally gave the entire Western Roman Empire to Pope Sylvester, honest.

Took a pretty long while for that forgery to be uncovered bur it's pretty hard to claim the emperors ever took it seriously. Or really anyone but the papacy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also a certain kind of maggot that's used to get dead tissue out of bad wounds because they won't eat living meat. They'll devour every last shred of already dead tissue. Then you rinse them out, clean the wound again, and stitch it up.

I learned about them when I was first getting into motorcycling because apparently maggot therapy is a whole lot more pleasant for road rash than traditional wound debridement, which features a medical professional angrily scrubbing the dead skin off of your live skin with a stiff-bristled brush

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

Byzantine hosed around with this message at Jun 25, 2017 around 21:44

🤔

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I thought Vatican City was it's own individual thing. In Rome, but it's a separate entity.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I.C. posted:

I thought Vatican City was it's own individual thing. In Rome, but it's a separate entity.

The Vatican as we know it really only started existing after the fall of Rome. Yeah the bishop of Rome existed but the papal state got going after the fall of Rome, when the church got its hands on land in central Italy by various means.

It was its own country for about a millennium until the Italian unification made it really complicated.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The full construction of Rome, both city and empire, took a total of two days.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

funmanguy posted:

The full construction of Rome, both city and empire, took a total of two days.

And yet it took Nero six days to fiddle it away

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And on the seventh day, he rested.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

syscall girl posted:

And yet it took Nero six days to fiddle it away

how did he get the fiddle

how

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He was a time traveler.

Keep up.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

hard counter posted:

how did he get the fiddle

how

I think you mean....

who

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I.C. posted:

It is. The recent historical event that that happened in was the Lateran Treaty in 1929. Well, that's what made it official anyway. Italy with the borders we know and love today was the result of a reunification effort in the 19th century. That formed the Kingdom of Italy that also got up to some colonial antics in Africa. Then fascism and Mussolini happened and, you know, WWII. Anyway seeing as the Kingdom of Italy controlled the entirety of Rome the question of "what the gently caress do we do with the Church?" was a very important question that never got properly answered for multiple decades. Generally speaking the Papacy just kind of did its thing and was left alone even though they were technically controlled by Italy as they weren't a separate entity. The treaty basically gave a final, definitive answer to the question by declaring it a sovereign nation separate from Italy. Of course such a tiny state existing entirely within the borders of a city in a larger nation is never wholly separate but it answered the question of "who controls the Pope?" with finality and that was what everybody ultimately wanted an answer to.

It's also worth noting that Vatican City isn't actually the sovereign entity. That's actually The Holy See which runs Vatican City but if you say "Vatican City" most people know what you're talking about.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It is. The recent historical event that that happened in was the Lateran Treaty in 1929. Well, that's what made it official anyway. Italy with the borders we know and love today was the result of a reunification effort in the 19th century. That formed the Kingdom of Italy that also got up to some colonial antics in Africa. Then fascism and Mussolini happened and, you know, WWII. Anyway seeing as the Kingdom of Italy controlled the entirety of Rome the question of "what the gently caress do we do with the Church?" was a very important question that never got properly answered for multiple decades. Generally speaking the Papacy just kind of did its thing and was left alone even though they were technically controlled by Italy as they weren't a separate entity. The treaty basically gave a final, definitive answer to the question by declaring it a sovereign nation separate from Italy. Of course such a tiny state existing entirely within the borders of a city in a larger nation is never wholly separate but it answered the question of "who controls the Pope?" with finality and that was what everybody ultimately wanted an answer to.

It's also worth noting that Vatican City isn't actually the sovereign entity. That's actually The Holy See which runs Vatican City but if you say "Vatican City" most people know what you're talking about.

The Latera Treaty was also one of the major political legacies of Mussolini, and at that time conveniently solved the issues of the church excommunicating men serving the king of Italy instead of the pope. Before that, you'd have to choose at some point to be either devout christian, or work for the government.

EDIT: as a sidenote, besides the Papal State, the Knight Hospitallers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta are also still around as a non-national sovereign entity.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Jun 26, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Aldous Huxley was once George Orwell's (real name of Eric Blair) teacher for a semester at Eton. The kids in the class made fun of Huxley's nearly failed eyesight so bad that Blair told them to cut that poo poo out. Later on, Orwell sent Huxley a copy of 1984 and Huxley sent a letter praising it but it's doubtful he remembered his former student or even connected Eric Blair with George Orwell.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Der Kyhe posted:

The Latera Treaty was also one of the major political legacies of Mussolini, and at that time conveniently solved the issues of the church excommunicating men serving the king of Italy instead of the pope. Before that, you'd have to choose at some point to be either devout christian, or work for the government.

EDIT: as a sidenote, besides the Papal State, the Knight Hospitallers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta are also still around as a non-national sovereign entity.

The Lateran Treaty is also the reason why Roman Catholicism is the official state religion of Italy, and why every public school starting from elementary school up until high school (included) has one mandatory hour per week of "religious studies". These are sore points for lots of people, and every once in a while you get someone who campaigns for the revision of the Lateran Treaty to eliminate them.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not true, both the Holy See (i.e. the spiritual and hierarchical centre of the Catholic Church) and Vatican City are fully sovereign legal entities and (in theory, at least) independent of each other, giving the Pope the afaik unique role of representing two such entities at the same time. So even if Vatican City got annexed by Italy tomorrow, the Pope would still be enjoying the diplomatic and legal rights and prerogatives of a representative of a sovereign entity (or in the case of the Holy See, literally himself being such a thing) :eng101:

There are exactly two other (inherently) sovereign legal entities worldwide that aren't states - the aforementioned Order of Malta and the International Red Cross. International organisations like the UN or the EU derive their sovereign status from their member states instead of being inherently in possession of it.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Leeches had been used medicinally for a really long drat time for a lot of things. Modern medicine for a large part of its existence went "...what the gently caress?" That was also the response to practices like bloodletting to cure certain things.

Then somebody decided to actually, you know, properly study it and found out that ancient medicine was actually on to something. Certain species of leech got the OK from the FDA in relatively recent history for some things because, well, they loving work.

if it's the one I'm thinking of, they have the added bonus of secreting an antibiotic slime as well, and over in England Leeches have been used to treat Cauliflower Ear for decades.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Leeches are also used in modern medicine, especially in reattaching severed fingers and toes: the problem in this case is that the reattached body part is full of stagnant blood that must be removed as quickly as possible to have fresh blood, full of oxygen and nutrients, enter the capillaries, or else the reattaching might fail (because of gangrene). Leeches take care of that by sucking all that nasty old blood right out.

It's not so much about physically removing the blood. The circulatory system is more than capable of that; the issue is that when something gets severed, the body's natural clotting mechanisms automatically get to work sealing off the severed blood vessels. Even if you hook everything back up you've got a clog preventing blood from flowing freely. When leeches feed, though, they secrete powerful natural anticoagulants into the wound so that their host's clotting response doesn't shut off their food supply. Stick a leech next to a blood clot and it will clear that right up and reestablish circulation very quickly and efficiently.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Today I learned that in 1988 the Nevada state government created a tiny and completely uninhabited county situated in the desert with no infrastructure of any kind as part of a retarded scheme to deter the feds from building a nuclear waste disposal site there. The county was dissolved again a couple of months later when they realised that due to the Nevada constitution stipulating that all criminals must be tried in the county where the crime occurred, by a jury made up from residents of said county, it would have been theoretically possible to literally get away with murder in that county.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What? ...isn't there a higher court that could take over via apeal if that happens?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

What? ...isn't there a higher court that could take over via apeal if that happens?

There is a section of Yellowstone national park where this is also true, and the answer is, actually nobody knows.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pick posted:

There is a section of Yellowstone national park where this is also true, and the answer is, actually nobody knows.

I would think any judge would agree to a change of venue in such situations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I would think any judge would agree to a change of venue in such situations.

Maybe, but I guess if the defendant had a good lawyer he could raise all sorts of stink which would in every case end up being super embarrassing for the state.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New archaeological findings suggests that neanderthals used penicillin: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39205530

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've been reading Bad Popes by E.R Chamberlin and this passage struck me as very provocative:

quote:

After the collapse of the empire the city suffered endless sacks, but it was the Romans themselves who dismantled the classical city and that for the most humdrum of reasons - marble, when burned, yields lime which can be used for plaster.

The scores of limekilns in the city were each fed by irreplaceable fragments of past glory. The great blocks of travertine that formed the core of the walls were broken up to make byres and hovels: Those columns that escaped the limekilns, or were not incorporated into new churches, lay where they fell, protected at least by the accumulated rubbish. But Augustinian Rome had been built upon such a colossal scale that, though it was plundered daily for centuries, the center of the city survived as an identifiable entity. A contemporary of Augustus or Nero could still have found his way easily enough around the tenth-century city, recognizing most of the monuments of his day, though he would have been appalled by the filthy condition of the streets themselves. Many were permanently blocked by collapsed buildings; all stank in high summer. The city that had known the splash and play of countless fountains now endures an endless drought, for the great aqueducts were ruined.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've been reading Bad Popes by E.R Chamberlin and this passage struck me as very provocative:

I think whoever wrote that has very romanticized view on ancient Rome. This was a place were people literally threw poo poo on the street, tanneries were placed in the city, dead people were constantly being burned (which was a best case scenario, sometimes they were just left to rot), the people themselves smelled of piss because urine was used to both clean their clothes and their teeth. There's also the fact people who had toilets in their houses didn't connect them to the sewers because they were afraid of what would crawl up (there's one story about an octopus who would crawl out of the toilet and steal food from the kitchen because naturally that's where toilet were). A contemporary of Augustus or Nero would feel right at home in the tenth-century city.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

The great blocks of travertine that formed the core of the walls

Is that accurate? I thought the core of a stone wall was basically always packed earth.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Straight White Shark posted:

It's not so much about physically removing the blood. The circulatory system is more than capable of that; the issue is that when something gets severed, the body's natural clotting mechanisms automatically get to work sealing off the severed blood vessels. Even if you hook everything back up you've got a clog preventing blood from flowing freely. When leeches feed, though, they secrete powerful natural anticoagulants into the wound so that their host's clotting response doesn't shut off their food supply. Stick a leech next to a blood clot and it will clear that right up and reestablish circulation very quickly and efficiently.

Huh, good to know. Thanks for the correction, it's always fun to learn new information :)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kassad posted:

Is that accurate? I thought the core of a stone wall was basically always packed earth.

The Servian walls are tuff blocks with some parts supported by an earth embankment, but they are stone all the way through. The Aurelian walls are brick over a concrete core.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They don't wash the maggots out, they lure them out.

With bacon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

I think whoever wrote that has very romanticized view on ancient Rome. This was a place were people literally threw poo poo on the street, tanneries were placed in the city, dead people were constantly being burned (which was a best case scenario, sometimes they were just left to rot), the people themselves smelled of piss because urine was used to both clean their clothes and their teeth. There's also the fact people who had toilets in their houses didn't connect them to the sewers because they were afraid of what would crawl up (there's one story about an octopus who would crawl out of the toilet and steal food from the kitchen because naturally that's where toilet were). A contemporary of Augustus or Nero would feel right at home in the tenth-century city.

That's rad, I want a toilet octopus.

I've been settling for this for too long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is the octopus in the toilet thing real or the Roman version of alligators in the sewers?