Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You'll be able to hack this but you'll need to perform a series of extremely precise glitches in Super Mario World and have a multitap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

JethroMcB posted:

Proper 4:3 aspect ratio, with your choice of a "Pixel Perfect" mode or a CRT filter to make things hazily nostalgic https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/30/13089242/nes-classic-nintendo-new-features-multiple-display-modes
Thanks man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just realized this also could have used Lost Vikings 2 and TMNT Turtles in Time but lol at ever getting Blizzard or the rights to TMNT on board. I'm surprised Konami let Castlevania 4 on this but it'd be a tragedy if it didn't have that or Contra.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm honestly astonished that they've just gone and released Star Fox 2 on it :suspense:.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm honestly astonished that they've just gone and released Star Fox 2 on it :suspense:.

I wonder what rom it'll be. The same one floating online or a later one that was never leaked?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I really want the Super Famicom-style version they're releasing in Europe, which makes this extra impossible.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just realized that the mere existence of a SNES Classic coming out in loving September does not bode well at all for Switch VC, Nintendo what the HECK are you doing? Can't you just keep price gouging a la carte Switch accessories and call it a day?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

I just realized that the mere existence of a SNES Classic coming out in loving September does not bode well at all for Switch VC, Nintendo what the HECK are you doing? Can't you just keep price gouging a la carte Switch accessories and call it a day?

The mere existence of it is a curious thing, considering the NES Mini was mostly surplus Wii hardware wasn't it?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

DLC Inc posted:

I'm surprised Konami let Castlevania 4 on this but it'd be a tragedy if it didn't have that or Contra.

Both of these games are on Wii VC, Wii U VC, and on the New 3DS VC, so the relationship is dating back to ~2007.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I really want the Super Famicom-style version they're releasing in Europe, which makes this extra impossible.

I bet you get 50hz versions too

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

enojy posted:

if anything I'd say Star Fox 2 being on this thing and not as a VC release makes the virtual console look dead in the water. Why bother handing out games for 7 or 6 bux apiece when you can pump out these bad boys for 80 bucks?

See you in 2018 when Mother 3 is announced as a special game for the GBA Classic

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You'll be able to hack this but you'll need to perform a series of extremely precise glitches in Super Mario World and have a multitap.
Uploading specific roms via a series of 16,000 specific multiple controller inputs is gonna freaking suck.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TVs Ian posted:

If it turns out like the NES Mini, you'll probably be able to hack whatever missing games you want onto there, too. Unless they go ahead and only put on the bare minimum for storage or something.

Do they make 64mb flash memory anymore?

Cause that'd be (more than) enough.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

enojy posted:

From the way things were announced just before E3, Switch VC (or whatever they're calling this Netflix-style stuff) will be NES-only at first, with SNES games probably getting added later on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jesus loving Christ. WHY?

I'd consider buying the game bundle on the Switch but loving come on why do you do this to us? Sell the games as a bundle on the Switch you fuckers.

That said, the list of games for this thing is pretty much perfect. Should be MMX3 instead of MMX, and lacks Chrono Trigger, but it's solid otherwise.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Here's the nine games they could realistically (so licensed stuff like Turtles in Time is out) add to make it on par with the NES Classic's 30.

- Chrono Trigger
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Tetris Attack
- Super Mario All-Stars
- ActRaiser
- Super Bomberman
- Gradius III
- Kirby's Dreamland 3
- Final Fight 3/Final Fantasy IV/Breath of Fire (pick your poison here)

What's on the SNES Classic is actually a pretty darned good list, though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

enojy posted:

Yeah now I'm worried we won't get VC proper until 2018.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

if anything I'd say Star Fox 2 being on this thing and not as a VC release makes the virtual console look dead in the water. Why bother handing out games for 7 or 6 bux apiece when you can pump out these bad boys for 80 bucks?

See you in 2018 when Mother 3 is announced as a special game for the GBA Classic

Well if it's anything like NES Mini they'll go "PHEW that was a job well done let's never sell this product again" after 5 months and VC poo poo they just downloaded off emuparadise can be sold forever.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Those games would be perfect on the Nintendo Switch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah how the gently caress do you not include ActRaiser.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus Christ the whining over the SNES classic is weird as hell.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It's not very surprising that people with a switch would prefer the ability to play these games on their switch instead

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

^^^Also that.

Vintersorg posted:

It was never going to have every game anybody wanted considering the number of good titles on the SNES and if the scarcity of the NES mini translates over it means a lot of people aren't getting one without paying the scalper tax.

It's cool but I understand the frustration.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mister Facetious posted:

Do they make 64mb flash memory anymore?

Cause that'd be (more than) enough.

The NES Classic has roughly 300MB available. If you're just loading it up with NES games, it's fine. But when you add in the artwork, other emulators, other systems... It adds up pretty quick.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Kinda wish BoF1 was on the console as well, though I doubt I'm going to try to buy the thing either way.

DLC Inc posted:

Because charging even $5 per game on the VC is going to be a significantly better profit margin?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hahah yes! uk do indeed get our superior designed snes with actual colour.

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/879375387507269632

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ouncement%7Cw26

...i just hope the roms are the fullscreen 60hz versions.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Andrast posted:

It's not very surprising that people with a switch would prefer the ability to play these games on their switch instead
The Switch VC is being delayed because they're toying with the idea of attaching a Netflix style subscription system to their online services, not because they wanted to release a cute piece of plastic instead.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

hahah yes! uk do indeed get our superior designed snes with actual colour.

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/879375387507269632

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...ouncement%7Cw26

...i just hope the roms are the fullscreen 60hz versions.

From that page

Please note: all games included in the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System are the original US 60 Hz releases.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wonder what rom it'll be. The same one floating online or a later one that was never leaked?

One of the original developers straight up said there was a completed build with more features than the one that got out there.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Phantasium posted:

From that page

Please note: all games included in the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System are the original US 60 Hz releases.

too much information, thanks! awesome news.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Little Mac posted:

Here's the nine games they could realistically (so licensed stuff like Turtles in Time is out) add to make it on par with the NES Classic's 30.

- Tetris Attack

What's on the SNES Classic is actually a pretty darned good list, though.

Tetris is a stricter license than even TMNT these days. That poo poo is on lock

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Man, now that I think about it Super Mario All-Stars is a pretty glaring omission since the NES Classic is discontinued.

Still, I'll pick it up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vikar Jerome posted:

its all from here, official press release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170626005607/en/You%E2%80%99re-Playing-Super-Power%21-Nintendo-Announces-Super

only 21 games, they could have easily have padded it up to 30 like the nes one.

It'll be hacked within 24 hours to allow you to include the entire SNES library, relax.
Hopefully, they'll also reverse engineer the Super FX emulation.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Little Mac posted:

- Chrono Trigger
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Tetris Attack

These three additions would make it completely perfect.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The Switch VC will literally never exist

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Tetris Attack is just Super Puzzle League, isn't it? There's no reason they couldn't include it, outside of the name.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Artix posted:

Tetris Attack is just Super Puzzle League, isn't it? There's no reason they couldn't include it, outside of the name.

Correct

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Now that this is clearly an annual thing, I'm willing to bet the Nintendo Classic Mini: NES will be rereleased in 2018

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Tetris is a stricter license than even TMNT these days. That poo poo is on lock

True. Just hack in "Panel de Pon" to the title screen.

What JPN exclusives would show up on the Super Famicom Classic? I'd say Seiken Densetsu 3 but the Switch release just happened. Fire Emblem, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Where's Uniracers? :colbert:

• Locked thread