Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orcane posted:

Good job using a strawman and picking the dumbest complaints for your "SCH is awesome everyone else is wrong" retorts I guess? I mean, you also have that other laundry list so why not go by that instead?

... Because that's the complaint I see most often and the one people seem to be focusing on and the one which occasionally comes up in-game? "Scholar has design problems" vs "Scholar is incapable of doing content" is a very different discussion because the latter is the kind of thing that makes people who don't know the class think it's true.

I don't give a poo poo if someone dislikes the Scholar changes at all and wouldn't disagree with them. I do give a poo poo about the "it can't keep up with pulls/can't heal enough to do content" crowd because people who believe them do actually take it to heart. I had a tank when I was running Roulette and got Doma who was going crazy slow and told me midway through it was because he heard Scholars couldn't heal enough for it and didn't want a wipe. (Once I told him to go faster and not worry it went fine but y'know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah arguing what unrelated pubbies think vs. what's being discussed by cool and good people is not weird at all.

nuru posted:

Can we take a moment and nominate Summoner Aetherpact as "Best Buff To Healer DPS 2017" ?

But only if you don't move away so the bard next to you got closer and received the buff :smuggo:

Summoner Aetherpact is another one of those moronic design decisions, like I don't even know what game the people who came up with SCH and SMN revamps and SB skills were playing.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This final trial queue is the longest queue for content I've had by far.

it doesn't inspire confidence.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 26, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

OWLS! posted:

Enjoy your mana issues. Also is Broil 2 the new fracture?
FWIW all the mana issues pretty much go away once you've got the tome gear.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Spoil that trial name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orcane posted:

Yeah arguing what unrelated pubbies think vs. what's being discussed by cool and good people is not weird at all.

People in this thread have said that.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This final boss queue is the longest queue for content I've had by far.

it doesn't inspire confidence.

It's unironically a harder fight than the EX Primals, though entirely doable if people don't act dumb.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SettingSun posted:

So WAR. It feels so weird to play them now. 3/4 of their new skills don't help them tank at all, and Shake It Off is marginal in that regard. They have too many beast gauge spenders that have marginal gain, and some (Onslaught) should really generate it instead. Their generators are on weird places in their combos, and there's very little reason to use their enmity/DPS combo as a result.

I hope it gets a little love soon.

I'm turning around on WAR. It needs more generators and needs to lose the gauge loss I stance swap but I'm starting to enjoy the rotation. I do wish that it felt like it could be a main tank and an off tank. Right now it feels like it was entirely built to be an off tank.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nuru posted:

Spoil that trial name.

Ah didn't think

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

People in this thread have said that.
Oh no!

I said cool and good people.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

FWIW all the mana issues pretty much go away once you've got the tome gear.

Yep, the tome gear has shittons of piety on it. I wanted to go crit/piety in HW already but needed to spend like 300 points on acc instead, I'm definitely going all in with piety on the new relic and materia where crit is maxed, run around with 25k mp to get that 2.5k aetherflow back :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe I'm just skipping over all the bad posts, but I haven't seen anyone ITT say that scholar is literally unplayable.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Minrad posted:

Man, Lakshmi extreme is easy. Joined a clear party in PF, had at least 5 people that hadn't beaten it, we one shot it with maybe two deaths?

Susano Ex at least was difficult (as in we wiped a few times learning the timing of his tankbuster etc) when I did it the first week, but maybe that was the i290 average group talking.

Pretty good difficulty over all for intro extremes though. I guess they wanted to keep it easy since they're introducing fight specific hotbar actions now, like uh, Ultraxion back in Cataclysm.

I hope they don't have anymore extra action bar fights because they are clunky as hell.

Also shirk is GOD loving drat AMAZING and will make tank swaps and staying ahead of aggro on the dps easy AS gently caress! If you aren't doing the shirk jerk with your co-tank you should reroll. It only sucks on fights like lakmishi where you have to stay second on aggro and a pesky sam keeps riding the off tank.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm turning around on WAR. It needs more generators and needs to lose the gauge loss I stance swap but I'm starting to enjoy the rotation. I do wish that it felt like it could be a main tank and an off tank. Right now it feels like it was entirely built to be an off tank.

Yeah I agree. Giving the things that used to give stacks (vengeance, berserk, etc.) give gauge again would be a good start. I can't tell whether SE wants WAR to stance dance or not. The level 70 skill strongly points to yes. I hate stance dancing, though, personally.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What's the theoretical max number of Fell Cleaves with Inner Release up? I can get to 6 within IR/Berserk if I prime a Storm's Path before starting, but haven't managed to be able to fit 7 in yet.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Bane nerf feels like it was targeted at SMN and SCH was just an unintended victim. They really need to separate the two jobs. Also Adlo costing 50% more than Aspected Benefic and having a weaker shield and cast time is super loving dumb but part of that is that AST is overpowered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The gloom and doom over MCH is really getting really bad. it's like HW launch again where people just parrot crap they hear. Not that there aren't definitely some issues with new MCH but looking at PF and seeing half the parties have a 'no MCHs!!!" clause is stupid.

I had a MCH do extremely well in a susano-ex group so idk why people think the class literally cannot perform at all.

Having not played it yet, that's sort of what I thought the state of it is. So far what I've seen is that it feels like you have to work really hard just to underperform BRD's DPS while not bringing the same level of support that Bard does, and that overheating is significantly too punishing. But it seems a lot more fixable than some of the problems people are having with SCH, SMN, and WAR (which read like structural issues, rather than just number tweaks), and if nothing else they definitely succeeded in making the job cool as hell.

I had no idea about the "no MCHs!!!" poo poo, though. No job in this game is so thoroughly broken that the presence of one is going to actually make it harder to clear something, especially if you're using the Party Finder, because it's not like you're racing for world firsts on Party Finder.

WrightOfWay posted:

The Bane nerf feels like it was targeted at SMN and SCH was just an unintended victim. They really need to separate the two jobs. Also Adlo costing 50% more than Aspected Benefic and having a weaker shield and cast time is super loving dumb but part of that is that AST is overpowered.

At this point, I feel like the only thing stopping SE from ditching classes entirely (which would separate SMN and SCH) is the presence of the class quests. If they ever did a Cataclysm-style 1-50 rework, which Yoshi-P has said he might want to do one day, I bet classes would disappear along with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blattdorf posted:

His Nhaama is actually most certainly Yugiri maybe.

Not sure why anyone cares about dudebro dragon rear end in a top hat when there's no shortage of other characters that'd actually be worth developing further.

I will say I was surprised by the lack of the 30-60 MNK NPC's presence (I forget his name) in Stormblood considering he's a member of the resistance. He might not be as important to the people as Estinien in Ishgard but that he's not around in any noticeable way was weird.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 26, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even the classes thing doesn't make any sense to me. It's a 'patch' on a problem but we already have skill-altering traits. Just have Bane Mastery or something.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not sure why anyone cares about dudebro dragon rear end in a top hat when there's no shortage of other characters that'd actually be worth developing further.

Hey now out of all the zone stories the Azim Steppes is pretty up there. But then again I couldn't really care less about the Ala Mhigo liberation or much else about Gyr Abania. I liked the real angry Highlander commander though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

I hope they don't have anymore extra action bar fights because they are clunky as hell.

I don't mind the extra action mechanic conceptually. The biggest problem I have with it is that it altered the way the controller triggers interact with L3 and R3, so now when I want to use L3 to engage or disengage camera lock I have to completely release both triggers. This is a relatively minor crunchy thing all told, but it has forced a significant change in how I personally approach boss fights and I'm mad damnit.

I'm going to miss smooth circle strafing but I pretty much have to wean myself off it now to avoid accidents when I fail to disengage successfully because I still had R3 depressed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

It still doesn't make much sense because all the other SMN AoE they nerfed as well. The -20% to -80% penalty is extreme and no other AoE has it, and there's have no spammable direct damage AoE either (well, okay, there's Tri-Bind :psyduck:), deathflare was changed to the usual -10% to -50%, shadowflare lost half its power, miasma 2 is gone entirely.

Again, if it was just the bane nerf I could see it, but nerfing every single AoE ability makes no sense. If "respecting the content" was the issue, they could do a lot more with gated packs (which they've done before) or increasing mana cost of AoE spells. And yeah, even if the two jobs on one class thing was the issue, there's still traits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If they cared about AOE damage they wouldn't have made SAM in to a giant blender forged from the finest Hanzo Steel. :japan:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they cared about AOE damage they wouldn't have made SAM in to a giant blender forged from the finest Hanzo Steel. :japan:

Sam AoE is kind of amazing. You still run yourself out of tp as fast as a goon would, but it's so much easier to tenderize everything in a giant monster pile and looks cooler to boot.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Somewhere there's a designer who was really excited about the idea of QTEs but had no idea that they're lame and dumb (and discriminatory to certain disabilities in the same way making everything red/green is).

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

You don't actually have to click the button, you can mash spacebar instead, or even do both

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just use a mouse macro, I'm never doing those things.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

You don't actually have to click the button, you can mash spacebar instead, or even do both

You don't even have to do it well. At least on Susano normal it has a very generous timing window.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I will say I was surprised by the lack of the 30-60 MNK NPC's presence (I forget his name) in Stormblood considering he's a member of the resistance. He might not be as important to the people as Estinien in Ishgard but that he's not around in any noticeable way was weird.

The entire storyline about that guy is that Widargelt doesn't want to join the resistance, he wants to revive the Fist of Rhalgr instead. I think it's a good mini-story, honestly..

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

or slide your hand across the entire keyboard

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
SCH is fun enough when you are actively healing. It's probably a bit weaker than WHM and AST at healing now, but whatever. The whole point of the fairy is to reduce the need to focus on healing, but now our non-healing options are the most boring of any healer. So by playing Scholar, you're choosing to spend the most time focusing on the most boring abilities. The class used to have very engaging and dynamic DoT juggling and at least one AoE spell.

The problem is mainly in dungeons. If your tank does small pulls, you barely need to heal at all. If your tank does big pulls, you contribute almost nothing to AOE damage. An AST can Balance, a WHM can holy spam, and SCH has nothing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

orcane posted:

It still doesn't make much sense because all the other SMN AoE they nerfed as well. The -20% to -80% penalty is extreme and no other AoE has it, and there's have no spammable direct damage AoE either (well, okay, there's Tri-Bind :psyduck:), deathflare was changed to the usual -10% to -50%, shadowflare lost half its power, miasma 2 is gone entirely.

Again, if it was just the bane nerf I could see it, but nerfing every single AoE ability makes no sense. If "respecting the content" was the issue, they could do a lot more with gated packs (which they've done before) or increasing mana cost of AoE spells. And yeah, even if the two jobs on one class thing was the issue, there's still traits.

I actually really like SCH and think excog's fix is really making quickened aetherflow not trash. I think they just really really need a numbers pass to be great(increase xcog's potency, quickened aetherflow's proc rate, maybe some cooldowns adjusted and make adlo a bigger shield or something), and they might as well just make it official and delete bane because it's obvious that's what they wanted to do.

Also 60 second cooldown on shadowflare is poo poo and bad, but "juggling dots" wasn't really that much more engaging than spamming broil 2. You just threw them up, healed people, and kept an eye on the boss like you do now because of your 2 dots. Maybe it's just people realizing that scholar wasn't actually that engaging before or something?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd like Scholar to feel sort of scholarly, like you actually are examining the enemy and looking for a weakness to exploit. I'm not sure how you'd make that work. Maybe change Broil into a weak attack that turns into an absurdly strong one if you land it when one of your DOTs is about to expire?

Similarly, I wish they did more with shields and precast healing so that you're thinking about what's going to happen next and being prepared for it instead of fixing damage after it drops.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I know this has been talked about before, but how do I play samurai effectively in pvp? I feel like a useless squishy bastard that people can just run away from if they don't feel like fighting, and I can't chase them because I'll die if I do

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

CHAINSAWGUN CLASS WHEN?????
[12:47][FC]<Diana Redclaw> he was more 40k than wh40k

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bleu posted:

The entire storyline about that guy is that Widargelt doesn't want to join the resistance, he wants to revive the Fist of Rhalgr instead. I think it's a good mini-story, honestly..

It was, though it was marred a bit by the last fight being kind of bullshit. I guess they didn't want to make him into another Estinian character since they had Lyse to focus on. And also because we still have Actual Estinian here to punish Zenos for stealing his Trogdor gimmick.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

After doing a bunch of pvp with the 3 healing classes I think I've settled on WHM being a monster.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't really care which healer job is best, I'm sticking with AST because they have the prettiest spells

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd like Scholar to feel sort of scholarly, like you actually are examining the enemy and looking for a weakness to exploit. I'm not sure how you'd make that work. Maybe change Broil into a weak attack that turns into an absurdly strong one if you land it when one of your DOTs is about to expire?

Science vessels in Star Trek Online have something to this effect: just by targeting an enemy, you steadily apply a stacking debuff to the enemy's resistances as you analyze the enemy ship and identify weaknesses.

No idea how practical that would be in this game, or if there's already a debuff-focused class.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know this has been talked about before, but how do I play samurai effectively in pvp? I feel like a useless squishy bastard that people can just run away from if they don't feel like fighting, and I can't chase them because I'll die if I do

At the top of your character panel you can change to machinist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

No idea how practical that would be in this game, or if there's already a debuff-focused class.

There isn't a debuff-focused class per se--a few jobs get debuffs, like Machinist, but none are really focused on it--though I'd enjoy playing one if there was. I wish Red Mage had some debuffs, given that they were really good at enfeebling magic in FFXI and that was a cool potential niche.