Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Eh screw em. I'll take my free couple of burritos worth of zcash that my 1070 makes for me every day. If someone told me that I could run a computer that would let me get a few burritos worth of fake money every day, I would have never believed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Stealthgerbil posted:

Eh screw em. I'll take my free couple of burritos worth of zcash that my 1070 makes for me every day. If someone told me that I could run a computer that would let me get a few burritos worth of fake money every day, I would have never believed them.

It's not free though dont you get it!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Plus if you don't finish the burrito you can re-heat it on top of your GPU. This poo poo is bananas

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cheese-cube posted:

Your cherry-picking of my arguments does nothing to invalidate them.

Your arguments already invalidate themselves. This is just a running commentary for my own amusement.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've got my 1080ti venting straight out the bottom of my case on my desk and if i'm gaming and/or mining it warms the immediate area enough to keep food warm.

250W TDP card :smugdog:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
1070 making $3.30/day @123w (70% power target), my power is 12 cents per kWh.

So let's run the numbers.

(123w) (24 hours)= 2.952kW (0.12USD) equals 35.42 cents a day for power unless my numbers are wrong.

$3.30>$0.35 last I checked so yeah, I'll keep taking free money from nerds at the massive energy cost of $10.50 a month for a $99 payout.

poo poo, even if it goes down to a dollar a day that's still worth it since it's literally zero effort on my end since it automatically mines when my computer is idle.

but I guess I should be angry at this because raisins

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Your arguments already invalidate themselves. This is just a running commentary for my own amusement.

lol nice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Are you running AC? Because inflate your power bill by 50% immediately if you are FYI. Power draw on the card is not going to be what is pulled at the plug. You have other components that need to be powered so you likely have another 20-40W for an idle CPU, memory, and motherboard. Then another 10-20% overhead from losses in the power supply.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you running AC? Because inflate your power bill by 50% immediately if you are FYI. Power draw on the card is not going to be what is pulled at the plug. You have other components that need to be powered so you likely have another 20-40W for an idle CPU, memory, and motherboard. Then another 10-20% overhead from losses in the power supply.

Good point, didn't consider the rest of the computer; the heat output seems negligible (I've got an EcoBee thermostat so I'm keeping track of the house temperature there).

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

A single video card or even two is not going to require any different AC, especially if they are like 1070s. Mine doesn't even change the ambient temp of the room although I am only running a single one (sometimes two when I set my gaming PC to mine). A 1070 runs really cool, mine sits at like 62 degrees celsius at 45% fan speed and I have not done any of the tweaks to make it use less power and generate less heat while keeping the same hash rate. Plus my mining rig also functions as a TV computer so it has plenty of other functions. I can watch stuff through plex surprisingly well while mining.

The thing is that people take into account all of the things like AC, power draw from the wall, etc. Sure you get stories like the idiots who buy 90 cards without doing any research. However, the math involved for all of this is really simple and its quite easy to figure out if it is profitable or not.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
My total system draw is 265w with a undervolted 1080ti (900 mV). Cost Is about 75 cents a day to run, averaging ~ $5.50 a day running nicehash.

Measure with the kill a watt linked below.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 26, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

These things are very handy for determining draw on devices and estimating monthly costs:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/

The heat doesn't seem noticeable because it goes up and then hits a return vent. Most home AC systems have a PUE around .50, which means they remove 2 watts from the air for every 1 watt consumed by the unit. That can add up, especially now that people are moved to CFL or LED lighting so that isn't the majority of their electric consumption any more.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

xthetenth posted:

A week's worth of the computer's effort isn't the same as a week's worth of your own personal effort.

The only meaningful depreciation of computer hardware is when the next generation comes out. Everything else pales in comparison. Especially if it's still working when you flip it, in which case who cares how it was?

Basically this, you can get 1 year warranty from the manufacturer, and another year from a credit card which is essentially the useful life of the GPU. If it doesn't die in this time you can harvest like $200 out of the x70's depreciation.

Who doesn't use a kill-a-watt and measure at the wall already? I can borrow them from my library.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Where as for me, the 500w of my two cards is heat that I don't have to produce from the main heater in my house, saving me money!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Electric heating generally costs 2x or more per BTU compared to gas so do the math on that one before you just assume it works in your favor.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
If you want to make money seriously start your own landscaping company. They rake in money. :v:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

If you want to make money seriously start your own landscaping company. They rake in money. :v:

motherfuckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

craig588 posted:

I think a lot of people would doubt that Amazon credit is worthless or a scam.
There are places that get Amazon gift cards via stolen credit cards etc and then turn around and sell the gift cards on Amazon. (Not that every reseller like that is scamming, but it's cryptocurrency) I think if Amazon gets a dispute on a gift card purchase they just remove the funds or whatever.

Again, not that this is a problem with whatever you guys are using to get Amazon credit but it is a thing that's happened in bitcoin, because bitcoin.

craig588 posted:

I'll definitely be running my computer 24/7 again if I can get 50 dollars a week from it again though. It seems crazy to not want free money.
It's not quite free, since you're using energy and putting wear and tear on your computer's components but if the butts are worth it to you then I can't stop you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Profit after electrical and cooling means about 40-50 bucks for 10 minutes effort.

I'm literally losing more money posting this post than I am by clicking "start" on nicehash, but :justpost:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also don't buy burritos from amazon what the gently caress

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:laugh:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have enjoyed the information I learned in this thread, reading about Ethereum, and taking hardware sitting on a shelf and making a free $10. Yes free. At my business electricity is included. I paid zero extra.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

everdave posted:

I have enjoyed the information I learned in this thread, reading about Ethereum, and taking hardware sitting on a shelf and making a free $10. Yes free. At my business electricity is included. I paid zero extra.

People have been sacked for doing this with Bitcoin, just FYI.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This is it boys, we've hit the big time! To the moooooooooooooonnnnn

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The *coin model is predicated on intentional waste of resources and ecological destruction with no real utility and if you have any kind of ethics you would not be engaging in it despite whatever meager returns you can accumulate at the moment.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

$3 in electricity in an area that gets 70%+ of its power from nuke+hydro+renewables is not my moral line in the sand when it comes to waste, personally. I feel much worse about driving to work every day (working on that).

The whole concept is wasteful and dumb, no doubt, but I don't really feel bad for taking advantage of some nerds+criminals pricing bubble to make a few bucks off my bidcard.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I think you'll find that what is really dumb is living, as life has literally no purpose, hth

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The *coin model is predicated on intentional waste of resources and ecological destruction with no real utility and if you have any kind of ethics you would not be engaging in it despite whatever meager returns you can accumulate at the moment.

There's an argument to be made that decreasing the returns on people getting power from coal if you're on really cheap and less destructive energy might be defensible.

But this is tiny compared to what we're all doing as part of our cultural fetishization of tragedies of the commons.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

craig588 posted:

If anyone manages to crack the bios flashing protection on Pascal

Oh that's trivial. It's just a signed hash of the firmware, so all you need to do is increment the nonce until you collide with one of the known firmware versions. If only there were a distributed grid of hashpower taking up way too much of the world's electricity right now.

Kidding aside, if they didn't do SHA256 signed by something like ECDSA their brains are broken. To put that in perspective, the current buttcoin hashpower is 5 million trillion hashes per second. So it'd only take 7,343,486,126,161,605,493,630,833,650,982,236,672 times the full heat-death of the universe to collide a single SHA256 hash. Good crypto is fun.

Nobody answered my question a page or so ago: Anyone else seeing claymore_zcash throttle their GPU way back for no apparent reason? It's sitting at 64c/52% fan and the limits are set to 75c. I know the algo is designed to require more resources than a standard ASIC design, so is it pulling from system RAM? If it is, I probably don't have my environment setup properly for it. Sometimes I get full speed, sometimes I get half, and I don't know why. It's all just buttpennies anyway but I don't like my hardware behaving in a way I can't explain.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Harik posted:

Nobody answered my question a page or so ago: Anyone else seeing claymore_zcash throttle their GPU way back for no apparent reason? It's sitting at 64c/52% fan and the limits are set to 75c. I know the algo is designed to require more resources than a standard ASIC design, so is it pulling from system RAM? If it is, I probably don't have my environment setup properly for it. Sometimes I get full speed, sometimes I get half, and I don't know why. It's all just buttpennies anyway but I don't like my hardware behaving in a way I can't explain.

Are you running under Windows? Use GPU-Z, from what I remember there is a "Bus Load" sensor that would tell you.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

cheese-cube posted:

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort?

:lol:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are you running under Windows? Use GPU-Z, from what I remember there is a "Bus Load" sensor that would tell you.

I'll play with it, thanks. 3 reboots later it's back at full speed and I don't know what the difference is. I think the AMD optimizer messes something up so I'll just leave it for now.

I'm out as soon as I hit the next payout threshold anyway, it's $27 or nothing if I understand their minimum balance policy right.

cheese-cube posted:

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort?

You've gotta be a bitcoin believer attempting to satire points made against it, because these are the worst arguments.

* Depreciation doesn't work like that.
* My Effort != My Computer doing poo poo.
* Nobody should be "mining" for less than the price of electricity.

There's so many good arguments against dunning kreugerrands. I suggest you re-read the GBS thread and nick some, then come back here and drop some borrowed slick burns.

Here, I'll help:
* Profiting off a drug and child sex slavery money laundering scheme.
* Legitimizing the concept of a 7.4 transaction per second "global currency"
* WE'RE MINING ETHERIUM WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress NOBODY LEARNED FROM THE DAO???
* Getting bitcoins is a lot easier than getting rid of them.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BTW for the dude asking about an alt coin that would let you decentralize CGI rendering, there's an alt coin for that: "GOLEM"

Or it might be a token or something, who the hell knows? They're going to synergize with decentralization and crypto networks to achieve the impossible and know the unknowable by harnessing idling processing via machine learning, or some poo poo like that

https://golem.network

Have you thought about it? There's an alt coin for that!

Ethereum is hilarious to me. It's an ethereal currency with the name straight from a World of Warcraft level and it uses "Gas" to run, much like farts, of which I produce many thanks to my crypto burritos. This loving dimension.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Golem is a pre-mined coin. Thats right, people are buying a coin because someone is like 'it can do this in the future maybe?'. Neat concept but not exactly worth giving money to people for them.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what exactly has caused the steep drop in profits over the last week. I was doing over $6 a day on a 1070 and now its barely $3. Still way in the black but troubling. Im not seeing a major drop in value so is it just all the added miners fighting for new blocks and only that? If nicehash wasnt so easy to get started they wouldnt never be mining, but neither would I

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

Golem is a pre-mined coin. Thats right, people are buying a coin because someone is like 'it can do this in the future maybe?'. Neat concept but not exactly worth giving money to people for them.

The only coins that seem to have a legitimate use and decent tech (not proven but promising) are Siacoin and the WAVESSSSSSSS (Mostly I like the name). In my opinion of course, I haven't researched the 600+ coins out there, let alone the tokens.

Most else just seems like bullshit to me, but who knows... To the moon?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Haven't tested this out yet, but if NiceHash is going to keep your CPU and GPU at 100%, can you still run other applications like games or Adobe CS and still keep your PC stable? Last time I did this with CCminer on my 1080Ti, I ran a couple of Steam games, normally they'd run up to 90-120 FPS, and they dropped down to 30-40 FPS while I was mining.

So is it okay to multi-task or should I just leave my cards mining?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

what exactly has caused the steep drop in profits over the last week. I was doing over $6 a day on a 1070 and now its barely $3. Still way in the black but troubling. Im not seeing a major drop in value so is it just all the added miners fighting for new blocks and only that? If nicehash wasnt so easy to get started they wouldnt never be mining, but neither would I

The difficulty is increasing at a much faster rate than the value of a coin

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junior Jr. posted:

Haven't tested this out yet, but if NiceHash is going to keep your CPU and GPU at 100%, can you still run other applications like games or Adobe CS and still keep your PC stable? Last time I did this with CCminer on my 1080Ti, I ran a couple of Steam games, normally they'd run up to 90-120 FPS, and they dropped down to 30-40 FPS while I was mining.

So is it okay to multi-task or should I just leave my cards mining?

Don't CPU mine unless you're getting power for free somehow. In the OP there are settings for allowing you to run the miners with a low enough priority you won't notice any performance hit for general computer use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

The difficulty is increasing at a much faster rate than the value of a coin

Yea, not only is difficulty rising, but in the last few days ETH has dropped in value a significant amount and BTC has gone down ~15% also.

• Locked thread