Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Policenaut posted:

In a shocking twist, the SNES Classic IS an Amiibo.

It's how Switch will use VC.

Hello, Satan. I had no idea you posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can't wait to scalp the gently caress out of the SNES mini.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's the kicker: The SNES Classic is in itself a giant Amiibo.

edit: FACK

Very good, I can morally download it for free

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

The funniest thing Nintendo could do at this point is have translated Mother 3 as an exclusive on a GBA mini that is only produced in small numbers for 6 months. (This won't happen)

I actually think this will happen now but we'd need a GB or GBC Classic first.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm never getting this thing and my only hope is rural Wal-Mart holds one for me

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Goodbody posted:

eh, I'm waiting for the Gamecube Classic Edition

There are two of those already, they're called the Wii and Wii U

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can't wait to scalp the gently caress out of the SNES mini.

same, kinda tempted to get PTO and pick one up on launch, then get a sadbrain to pay $200-$300 for one while enjoying the benefits of being paid to wait in line for an already overpriced toy

I have had every SNES game in this bundle, as well as 100 others, on every single computer I have ever owned, as well as on the phone that is currently in my pocket (cue nerds being morally outraged in 3, 2, 1...), to think that people are willing to pay three digits for this crap is giving me one hell of a chubby y'all

I could fund most of a switch bundle if I can snag me one of these to flip!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut posted:

In a shocking twist, the SNES Classic IS an Amiibo.

It's how Switch will use VC.

you joke but i could see them doing this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KingSlime posted:

same, kinda tempted to get PTO and pick one up on launch, then get a sadbrain to pay $200-$300 for one while enjoying the benefits of being paid to wait in line for an already overpriced toy

I have had every SNES game in this bundle, as well as 100 others, on every single computer I have ever owned, as well as on the phone that is currently in my pocket (cue nerds being morally outraged in 3, 2, 1...), to think that people are willing to pay three digits for this crap is giving me one hell of a chubby y'all

I thought no emulator has done SuperFX emulation well, which is why Starfox / Starfox 2 / Yoshi's Island are so special.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

raditts posted:

I thought no emulator has done SuperFX emulation well, which is why Starfox / Starfox 2 / Yoshi's Island are so special.

Most did it fine and some people thought it was a rights issue. It'll be interesting to see how the emulation compares though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
hmm good question, I was never a huge fan of either but I remember playing Yoshi's Island a few years ago and it was fine, I doubt I cared enough to notice any issues to be fair

The thing with emulation is that it isn't going to be perfect but SNES is pretty good these days and while a few people are big on authentic replication, the shortcomings of emulators are mostly negligeble and easy to ignore for 95 percent of the population I'd wager

E: I did have a roommate who was obsessed with CRTs and proper retro gaming....it was bizarre and I thought it wasn't really worth the effort just to play some old rear end games in his perfect vision of "the real deal" but hey we each have our hobbies, eh?

I kinda grew up on a mix of emulators and actual retro consoles and can't tell the difference most of the time

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 26, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

raditts posted:

I mean, old rear end versions of ZSNES had it running way too fast, but that may have been fixed. Higan/bsnes didn't have a problem with it, and Snes9x has gotten better about it.

As said, the issue with SuperFX games for a Nintendo emulator was believed to be a rights issue over the code used in the SuperFX chip, which was co-developed by the now-defunct Argonaut.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's cool that we have snes chat in the switch thread and all but I have an actual Switch question.

Since I can't bind my bt headphones to it, what is the best option for adding a bt dongle?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I have a Star Fox 2 repro cart. I like it a lot. So much that I'm the world record holder in 3 of the 4 speedrun categories, not that there's much competition.

Hopefully that'll change with this. And dammit, I gotta find one.

raditts posted:

In my experience BSNES struggles with the SFX2 chip, which only Yoshi's Island, Star Fox 2, Doom, and Winter Gold uses. That's why I got Star Fox 2 on cart.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's cool that we have snes chat in the switch thread and all but I have an actual Switch question.

Since I can't bind my bt headphones to it, what is the best option for adding a bt dongle?

Get one of those ones that plug into the headphone jack.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KingSlime posted:

I'd pay for all of these games if they were on the Switch but I really don't care to have yet another electronic device that doesn't do anything outside of playing those games when I have two expensive pieces (laptop and Switch) that can do everything just as well if not better but Nintendo doesn't seem to care. It's pretty poo poo that the only official release of Starfox 2 might only ever release on this thing because Nintendo; but that'll probably drive the price right the gently caress up on the second hand market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just buy one of those old audio jack FM transmitter things and buy a radio.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You can use the Switch Pro Controller on a PC/Steam right? What do I need to do that

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'd pay for all of these games if they were on the Switch but I really don't care to have yet another electronic device that doesn't do anything outside of playing those games when I have two expensive pieces (laptop and Switch) that can do everything just as well if not better but Nintendo doesn't seem to care. It's pretty poo poo that the only official release of Starfox 2 might only ever release on this thing because Nintendo; but that'll probably drive the price right the gently caress up on the second hand market.

yeah I think it's better to regard these things as cute collector's items vs legitimate software offerings

the latter makes a lot more sense when you look at Nintendo as a toy company, can't beat a cute lil shrunk down SNES as an appealing gift to someone (provided you can actually get ahold of one lol)

Lately I've been into Getting Rid Of poo poo and it's nice to declutter every few months! This does mean that gaming and gaming accessories are the first to go because who honestly goes back to older games aside from a few exceptions, or for a few minutes to relieve some nostalgia? Youtube can honestly fill the latter pretty well, I've caught myself watching footage of random games while drinking and relaxing.

My backlog of new games is already unmanageable to begin with!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Get one of those ones that plug into the headphone jack.

Yes, but which one is tiniest?!?!?!?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol that you need to beat level 1 of Star Fox to play Star Fox 2.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
uk amazon preorder is up: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071G84PFQ

i preordered one for the sake of it, but there's a high chance i might cancel the week before at that price.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/879397693101154304

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LOL @ goons bitching about this for any reason

It's not a perfect product I guess but it's drat good and you know they had this in the pipe in case switch flopped so it's not like they are diverting resources NOW to program it or whatever

This cool toy is good for some people and not others but Nintendo making $Japan is good for everyone who wants them to make more games of any kind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

L M A O for loving ever at this.

Good luck ever getting one. The NES was impossible to get and people thought they would be sold for years.

Nintendo quit loving around with this scalper line camper bullshit and make the VC for Switch.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i have successfully pre-ordered it. gonna loving rule playing starfox 2 with 2cm controller cables at the end of september, i will then 100% mario world before odyssey hits. nintendo are owning this year.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

L M A O for loving ever at this.

Good luck ever getting one. The NES was impossible to get and people thought they would be sold for years.

Nintendo quit loving around with this scalper line camper bullshit and make the VC for Switch.
No one thought that. It was very clearly a holiday item.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vikar Jerome posted:

i have successfully pre-ordered it. gonna loving rule playing starfox 2 with 2cm controller cables at the end of september, i will then 100% mario world before odyssey hits. nintendo are owning this year.

Where? Is GameStop selling pre-orders?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bill Barber posted:

No one thought that. It was very clearly a holiday item.

That's just false.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyway, someone recommend me a microscopic bt transmitter I can plug into my switch headphone jack and also don't have to Velcro to the back of my switch like a weirdo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
STARFOX 2????

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

That's just false.

It's false that no one thought that, but some people also think the Earth is flat or apparently that brown cows produce chocolate milk.

Reasonable people, on the other hand...

vvv That is true

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 26, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People did think the NES Classic was a holiday item, but they thought it was still the kind of holiday item you could grab from a pile at Target or Urban Outfitters, instead of vanishing instantly from every store that ever stocked it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is the SNES mini going to have the same hilariously short baby controller cables like Nintendo thinks we all live in Tokyo studio apartments?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Is the SNES mini going to have the same hilariously short baby controller cables like Nintendo thinks we all live in Tokyo studio apartments?

yes, but they'll be standard USB cables so you can extend them easilahahahahahaha gently caress

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I just preordered the Super Famicom version through Amazon UK, $90 shipped to the US.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Where? Is GameStop selling pre-orders?

UK preorders are open at Amazon, game and Smyth's!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It's false that no one thought that, but some people also think the Earth is flat or apparently that brown cows produce chocolate milk.

Reasonable people, on the other hand...

vvv That is true

When they continued supplying it in January and February I started to think it was more than a holiday item.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The Bloop posted:

yes, but they'll be standard USB cables so you can extend them easilahahahahahaha gently caress

Is that true? USB cables? But the only believable excuse for the NES classic's short cables was that they were basically Wii attachments...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Oyster posted:

In my experience BSNES struggles with the SFX2 chip, which only Yoshi's Island, Star Fox 2, Doom, and Winter Gold uses. That's why I got Star Fox 2 on cart.

Have you tried the higan emulator? It's the most accurate one. And having just recently looked up info about it, the dev himself (byuu) said that he's been actively working on issues and resolving them quickly to very accurate levels. This is assuming that you're not just experiencing PC issues, I don't remember how intensive bsnes is.

• Locked thread