Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not really feeling Dunkirk yet. Something about it seems... I won't say lifeless, but there's some kind of spark missing. A story more or less of fish getting shot in a barrel and so far the trailers aren't showing anything that would offset that bleakness yet. Compare it to something like Titanic where you knew going in you were getting all the sumptious peroid piece visuals and a sensual love story between two gorgeous actors.

Oh, and it also had Billy Zane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Guy Mann posted:

Esquire's write-up of Book of Henry is what I read, I feel it does a better job breaking down the actual beat-by-beat plot of the movie.

Sweet Jesus, this is they guy they have set to direct the next Star Wars film!?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everybody has bizarre passion projects

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm not really feeling Dunkirk yet. Something about it seems... I won't say lifeless, but there's some kind of spark missing. A story more or less of fish getting shot in a barrel and so far the trailers aren't showing anything that would offset that bleakness yet. Compare it to something like Titanic where you knew going in you were getting all the sumptious peroid piece visuals and a sensual love story between two gorgeous actors.

Yeah, it's like Christopher Nolan watched Pearl Harbor, loved the harbor attack sequence, but missed that it's just an exciting backdrop for a love triangle story.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Considering the sexlessness and emotional detachment of many of Nolan's movies,I don't think it's that surprising.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dunkirk but all the British soldiers are sparkle vampires, all the boat crew are average bland women, and all the Nazis are werewolves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy Mann posted:

Esquire's write-up of Book of Henry is what I read, I feel it does a better job breaking down the actual beat-by-beat plot of the movie.

What the gently caress?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah the Nolan movies are weirdly super chaste. It doesn't help that Christian Bale is the least romantic actor I've ever seen in action. I'm a fan but he's incapable of sincere affection on camera. He shows up in Captain Corelli's Mandolin as a spurned greek lover but all you get is Patrick Bateman about to go to a chainsaw store.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

well why not posted:

Yeah the Nolan movies are weirdly super chaste. It doesn't help that Christian Bale is the least romantic actor I've ever seen in action. I'm a fan but he's incapable of sincere affection on camera. He shows up in Captain Corelli's Mandolin as a spurned greek lover but all you get is Patrick Bateman about to go to a chainsaw store.

At least it worked for The Machinist.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

well why not posted:

Someone needs to watch Little Women.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

This sounds insane and I kinda want to see it now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it's like Christopher Nolan watched Pearl Harbor, loved the harbor attack sequence, but missed that it's just an exciting backdrop for a love triangle story.

Considering how terribly the love triangle was handled in Pearl Harbor, that sounds like a good thing.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Netflix just picked up Dan Gilroy's new movie. Those of you who are asking who that is, he directed Nightcrawler, my favourite movie of 2014.

It's also going to star Jake Gyllenhaal. No title or release day yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Someone needs to watch Little Women.

Eh. I don't think Bale is sexless but he's not very giving as a romantic lead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's not very giving as a sexual partner either, though he does commit.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Eh. I don't think Bale is sexless but he's not very giving as a romantic lead.

Yeah. I mean, he's upstaged by sadsack Gabriel Byrne in Little Women anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

This is true but also an aspect of his acting that is put to incredible use in The Prestige.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

All of Nolan's movies since The Dark Knight Rises seems to be him trying to follow Michael Bay's career. TDKR was The Rock, and Interstellar was Armageddon. I think it was right around when he started making TDKR that Wally Pfister revealed Nolan is a Bay fan.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lobok posted:

The marketing for Dunkirk is the thing that gets me. The early trailers were all really slow and quiet, they made it seem like a serious war drama and a friend of mine who absolutely loves war films was really excited to see it. Now all of a sudden when you go to see a movie you get like four three second trailers that are just DUNKIRK and two seconds of people running, screaming and getting shot followed by loud VWOOOOW sounds. Now it just seems like a lovely action movie and said friend thinks it looks like garbage.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fictional love stories in historical epics are pretty much always godawful.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Having seen Valerian it is very weird and I'd be shocked if it wasn't DOA as people don't do weird.

It's the same reason Blade Runner will bomb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Byzantine posted:

Dr Zhivago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dunkirk just seemed like such a strange choice for Nolan. I'm sure it will be at least decent but a straightforward war movie just seems like something that lacks the "hook" (for lack of a better word) that all of Nolan's previous movies have had. I guess if the movie focuses on the bizarreness of soldiers just waiting to be picked up in this cold sandy beach while the enemy refuses to fight, but I can't see that sustaining an entire movie.

Plus, I think it's his first movie since Insomnia without Michael Caine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was never much in the market to see Dunkirk, but the saturation ads for it are draining my desire even more. I think there were at least two before the same movie, the other day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

All of Nolan's movies since The Dark Knight Rises seems to be him trying to follow Michael Bay's career. TDKR was The Rock, and Interstellar was Armageddon. I think it was right around when he started making TDKR that Wally Pfister revealed Nolan is a Bay fan.

I'm a huge Nolan fan but before anyone tries to act like this is some kind of insult to him as a director, it's an extremely astute post because Nolan really is a huge Michael Bay fan. So it makes perfect sense that after Dark Knight making tons of money and him being able to do pretty much whatever he wants that that's directly where he went.

http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolan-loves-watching-michael-bay-movies/

Byzantine posted:

Uh you'll find that in the film The Terminator they travel back in time to 1984 making it a historical epic about a fictional love story and it's loving awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is not surprising because Nolan and Bay are two of the best big production big name directors around. Top 5. They are very worthy of greatness and to me it feels like a second coming of Ridley Scott and James Cameron.

However yes both have some kind of issue with sexlessness in their movies or lack of real physical intimacy. Bay displays women in a sort of exploitive childish way when he does his strip club shots and the way he films in his TF movies and Nolan is non existent from what I can recall. Probably partly to do with either a subject they don't want to explore or American audience attitude towards sex.

Edit: also they're going for mass appeal so rating

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 27, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

sbaldrick posted:

Having seen Valerian it is very weird and I'd be shocked if it wasn't DOA as people don't do weird.

It's the same reason Blade Runner will bomb

An advance screening?

Care to drop a spoiler block? Plot (are you familiar with the source Valerian series Ambassador of the Shadows?)? Thoughts?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

TDKR was The Rock

Even as someone that doesn't hate Rises, how dare you compare it to a masterpiece.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

I am gonna agree with the above poster that this makes no sense. I can grasp that Nolan possibly emulated Bay but otherwise, no.

The obvious comparison is that in TDKR Batman flies off with the nuclear weapon (but doesn't die and lives to be found by his manservant at some bistro) whereas Willis makes Aerosmith daughter wet her face when he goes balls deep in Armageddon. The Rock was just pure magic and transcends Bay/Bruckheimer

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I was never much in the market to see Dunkirk, but the saturation ads for it are draining my desire even more. I think there were at least two before the same movie, the other day.

Yeah, they did that at the theater I was just at. Instead of a full trailer for Dunkirk, they did 20 second trailer snippets in between all the other trailers. I thought they'd just hosed up at first, but I guess that's how they're advertising it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rock and TDKR were both about terrorists that appeared kinda sympathetic taking an island hostage with WMDs and featured action in the sewers.

Both Armageddon and Interstellar had blue collar protagonists going to space to stop the end of the world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The dudes in Armageddon are proper blue collar. The Interstellar guy is a rocket scientist that fell back on farming because the world was ending.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If that's Nolan's pattern, I guess we're getting Memento II in a couple years.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

The dudes in Armageddon are proper blue collar. The Interstellar guy is a rocket scientist that fell back on farming because the world was ending.

Yeah McConaughey was like the smartest guy in Iowa.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Like that's a high bar.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cptn_dr posted:

Like that's a high bar.

He played a corny dad but the scene where he rammed his truck through the fields to chase down that Indian drone with his daughter was amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So they've started working on a sequel to The Accountant. I thought the original was okay but it was kind of hurt by the weird backstory with a bunch of odd bits. Like, why the gently caress did the government hide his real identity even after he went to prison?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So they've started working on a sequel to The Accountant. I thought the original was okay but it was kind of hurt by the weird backstory with a bunch of odd bits. Like, why the gently caress did the government hide his real identity even after he went to prison?

Yeah, that movie was good when it was about action accounting, particularly the stuff with the farm couple, and bad whenever it focused on shocking twists about people's identities and backstories. Hadn't realized it had done well enough to earn a sequel, but I'm up for it if they learn the right lessons.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

I'm glad. I really liked it, every bit of it. Action Accounting is awesome.

It reminds me of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, original OVA, where the best episode is the poker game. Not a punch thrown but incredible tension, strategy, wit, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

I'm glad. I really liked it, every bit of it. Action Accounting is awesome.

It reminds me of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, original OVA, where the best episode is the poker game. Not a punch thrown but incredible tension, strategy, wit, etc.

I feel like you undercut your point in the second sentence but it takes all kinds.

I just thoroughly enjoyed it. muscles like this! has a point but it's a really fun movie. And may not need a sequel but w/e.

• Locked thread