Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i joined a sabetha group in raid LFG that wanted, of all things, a condi reaper

anticipating a disaster of a group i joined it

somehow it was a 1 shot and i did 27k dps, so i guess the guy knew what he was talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah, there are a lot of mobs that spawn during that fight. Not to mention that you can epi the little sub-bosses when sabetha pops back down to give her all the conditions you were unloading on them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ItBurns posted:

SAB is doo doo so every passing day since its removal is a new high point.

Man at the time SAB was the peak of entertainment in the game because there was literally no other endgame.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GW2 is free to play so why not just reinstall it and try it yourself if debating playing it again?

8-bit cube comes back as a yearly festival too! Although no world 3 :(

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Ineptitude posted:

This is the weirdest case of "everything was better when i was young" i have seen in any MMO. I am starting to think it is a meme.
HoT is amazingly fun with huge sprawling maps with lots of stuff to do and secrets to find and you are really rewarded for exploring. The vanilla maps are all flat as a pancake and really loving boring. HoT is literally the only reason i fell in love with this game.

I just came back to the game this spring after quitting in Sept 2014. I nearly quit again after jumping into VB, thinking that the order of maps made sense or had any normal sense of progression (easiest to hardest, requiring the least amount of masteries etc...). HoT is a clusterfuck of bad design choices. All the people who sing its praises are vets who forget what its like to be new or masochists.

A new player should avoid HoT like the plague. It's fine after you unlock all of the masteries, but it's got a super steep learning curve overall. And when the new xpac launches, it's probably going to be a giant pain in the rear end because all the maps require huge zergs to do the metas, and the masses will likely move on to the new content. poo poo, I tried to do dragon stand 3 times this weekend (Friday and Saturday afternoons) and each time the maps were dead and no lfgs to be found.

I like the new LS3 maps so much more. But I am a person who plays in small chunks, so the lack of multi hour map metas is fine by me.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's a shame, cause I enjoy most of the DS meta and don't mind the rest but I've got a stack of 100 machetes just from the free daily ones out of the leyline matter converter since the last time I did it

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Erdricks posted:

...A new player should avoid HoT like the plague. It's fine after you unlock all of the masteries, but it's got a super steep learning curve overall. And when the new xpac launches, it's probably going to be a giant pain in the rear end because all the maps require huge zergs to do the metas, and the masses will likely move on to the new content. poo poo, I tried to do dragon stand 3 times this weekend (Friday and Saturday afternoons) and each time the maps were dead and no lfgs to be found...

I really hope they re-tune everything in HoT when the new content drops, because it's always felt wildly overpowered to me. When a Veteran in HoT is the strength of an Elite in previous content, and an Elite is like an old-world champion, that's a problem. I've felt great going in with a partner into the jungle, but solo it's suicide. Even at Mastery level 60+ in full ascended gear, stuff takes forever to kill and usually a single slip-up on dodging is death.

Erdricks posted:

I just came back to the game this spring after quitting in Sept 2014. I nearly quit again after jumping into VB, thinking that the order of maps made sense or had any normal sense of progression (easiest to hardest, requiring the least amount of masteries etc...). HoT is a clusterfuck of bad design choices. All the people who sing its praises are vets who forget what its like to be new or masochists.
I like the new LS3 maps so much more. But I am a person who plays in small chunks, so the lack of multi hour map metas is fine by me.

Agreed. The L3 maps are much, much more enjoyable. I love what they're doing with masteries in those places. I hope we continue to see Oakheart's Sticky Quarter-Machine Hands in later zones. They're riotously fun.

Exhibit A: Oakheart's Essence

I've finished the last L3 story arc available: Flashpoint.
Is there word on when the next one is gonna drop?

Am I the only one thinking that maybe Balthazaar isn't actually Balthazaar, but actually his evil twin brother cult leader guy from GW1?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

quote:

I really hope they re-tune everything in HoT when the new content drops, because it's always felt wildly overpowered to me. When a Veteran in HoT is the strength of an Elite in previous content, and an Elite is like an old-world champion, that's a problem. I've felt great going in with a partner into the jungle, but solo it's suicide. Even at Mastery level 60+ in full ascended gear, stuff takes forever to kill and usually a single slip-up on dodging is death.

What class are you? My necro just facerolls everything that isn't a champion or legendary.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Agreed. The L3 maps are much, much more enjoyable. I love what they're doing with masteries in those places. I hope we continue to see Oakheart's Sticky Quarter-Machine Hands in later zones. They're riotously fun.

Exhibit A: Oakheart's Essence

Seriously, seconding this. Easily the most fun addition to the game since gliding in HoT imo, I hope we get to use them more or they add similar things. I really enjoyed the bazaar powerups (and the bazaar, rip in piss) but these are better.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

lucifirius posted:

What class are you? My necro just facerolls everything that isn't a champion or legendary.

Elementalist--which is probably why.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Blasphemeral posted:

I've finished the last L3 story arc available: Flashpoint.
Is there word on when the next one is gonna drop?

2-3 months after the last one released, then 3 months until the Expansion.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

lucifirius posted:

I made this mistake of playing through with a necro and found I didn't have the patience to do it on anything else. At least, until they offered cheap ascended weapons for playthroughs. I went made it through with a rev, and in a few months once I forget how much of a shitslog it is, I might try again with a ranger.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Blasphemeral posted:

Am I the only one thinking that maybe Balthazaar isn't actually Balthazaar, but actually his evil twin brother cult leader guy from GW1?

It's his younger twin brother, Badazar.

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 26, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Guest2553 posted:

I made this mistake of playing through with a necro and found I didn't have the patience to do it on anything else. At least, until they offered cheap ascended weapons for playthroughs. I went made it through with a rev, and in a few months once I forget how much of a shitslog it is, I might try again with a ranger.

I just do as much content as possible on my necro and gear up using gold or extras or WvW tokens or whatever. I'm lazy and like facerolling content.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Necromancer demolishes all Hot maps but the war horn 5 being necro's main source of speed means you'll basically be a walking tank and although you'll never die, getting anywhere takes foooreeeverrr because of all the aggro.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah I don't know how Necros and Guardians do it, just have a set of open world gear with travelers runes?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
You can just slot Locust Signet for 25% movespeed, the active effect doubles as an emergency heal pretty well since it scales with how many targets it hits and you're more likely to need it when over-pulling.

Guardians are advised to re-roll a different class for current PvE content.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guardians would be the only class I play if Spirit weapons we're good and permanent.
Having a ghost sword, shield and bow following me around is extremely appealing but not on a CD with lackluster effects.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I can't find one so I'm assuming it's still no, but did they ever add in a race change option? I made the mistake of leveling my Revenant as Asura and eventually got fed up with playing a small race.

I do still have my 80 boost so I could create a new one, but not sure how hard it would be to restock on hero points this long after HoT was new.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

nessin posted:

I can't find one so I'm assuming it's still no, but did they ever add in a race change option? I made the mistake of leveling my Revenant as Asura and eventually got fed up with playing a small race.

I do still have my 80 boost so I could create a new one, but not sure how hard it would be to restock on hero points this long after HoT was new.

No race change option available. Schpy runs a Hero Point Train on Tuesdays sometimes (depending on interest), so theoretically it would take one evening.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah I don't know how Necros and Guardians do it, just have a set of open world gear with travelers runes?

Yup. I forgo being more useful because I need traveler runes as a guard.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

I think I found the inspiration for the entirely nonsensical Lion's Arch loading screen:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Erdricks posted:

A new player should avoid HoT like the plague. It's fine after you unlock all of the masteries, but it's got a super steep learning curve overall. And when the new xpac launches, it's probably going to be a giant pain in the rear end because all the maps require huge zergs to do the metas, and the masses will likely move on to the new content. poo poo, I tried to do dragon stand 3 times this weekend (Friday and Saturday afternoons) and each time the maps were dead and no lfgs to be found.
That's a shame; I've been meaning to do some DS to knock out some mastery points but never got around to it because multi-hour metas that are on a strict schedule suck when you only have limited time to play. Also just lol at having to schedule when I play the game around when the map metas happen over something like Silverwastes where I can just jump in at any time.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Jinh posted:

Necromancer demolishes all Hot maps but the war horn 5 being necro's main source of speed means you'll basically be a walking tank and although you'll never die, getting anywhere takes foooreeeverrr because of all the aggro.

The speed boost signet is super nice, but yeah I'm slow and aggro everything. I can kill them, it just takes time to get where I'm going.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Insert name here posted:

That's a shame; I've been meaning to do some DS to knock out some mastery points but never got around to it because multi-hour metas that are on a strict schedule suck when you only have limited time to play. Also just lol at having to schedule when I play the game around when the map metas happen over something like Silverwastes where I can just jump in at any time.

I feel for you. I am in a similar spot. I basically only play during the same 2 hour window. Megaserver really hosed me over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

I feel for you. I am in a similar spot. I basically only play during the same 2 hour window. Megaserver really hosed me over.

I don't see how that's the megaservers at fault, that's the general design and HoT metas at fault. Megaservers, if anything, help with that.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

use http://gw2timer.com/ to see when it DS starts, get in a group like 5m before it starts. you should be fine.

i did this like twice last week without a problem?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Or try to bust into an instance that's ending soon and just run around and harvest all the nodes you can. Then leave.

I managed to do this yesterday and knock my 70+ machetes down to 33!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Nice job to all my Babby Raid friends on our Vale Guardian kill! Thanks Soma and Weedo for dragging us all along.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't see how that's the megaservers at fault, that's the general design and HoT metas at fault. Megaservers, if anything, help with that.

I used to be able to do a variety of events before megaserver because the events were always on different timers. After megaserver, the same events ran on the same schedule on all servers, which is the same system as in HoT. Basically, I only get to do the same little slice of the game over and over and over, which pretty much killed a lot of my desire to do open world pve.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Fifteen of Many posted:

Nice job to all my Babby Raid friends on our Vale Guardian kill! Thanks Soma and Weedo for dragging us all along.

sorry I bailed, I had a killer migraine tonight. but my druid is 80 and geared and just needs a solid HP train and she's ready to go!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
$15 https://www.nuuvem.com/item/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Fifteen of Many posted:

Ah gently caress I missed a kill :( I was with my gf and then did a plasma donation thing for $$$. But now I have full ascended on my necro.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Of course, just as I finished gearing my first ascended character, I get my first ever armor box drop. Time to decide who to gear next.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

quote:

Available Regions for Activation
Central America and North America.
:owned:

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Yes, good job everyone! Sorry it kind of took me a bit to get my tank positioning down, but you all did a great job. Thanks for being patient with me :shobon:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

thats actually really impressive

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Not entirely sure why, but I'm failing hard at returning to GW2. My memories are hazy and I remember getting my butt handed to me many times in the HoT areas however it seems far far worse now than I ever remember. Like I'm just now running my Guardian through Tangled Depths, mostly aiming to get to Dragon Strand so I can join some meta event chains down there since I never saw that one and people say it's good for farming mastery points (which I need to finish the stupid Living World Season 3 Episode 1 arc). In any case, aside from having no memory how to navigate the Tangled Depths again, I'm running around trying to get the Waypoints and it's borderline impossible. Regular enemies will eat away a quarter of my health in one shot without a telegraph. And if I get hit by any telegraph I'm basically dead. The first hit might not kill me but any single regular hit afterwards will. If I attempt to fight my way through I can handle two enemies, but three will crush me.

Part of the problem is just I'm relearning how to actually fight, I am doing this on my Guardian with it's low health to begin with, and I'm in Berserker gear. But I've got the same problem on my Revenant which is the one I'm trying to take through the story itself. I could barely kill a single Veteran in Bloodstone, and a White Maw Knight plus Caster regular mob felt like fighting a Champion at some points. And my Revenant actually has Solider gear specifically so I could do stuff like the story without a lot of problems back when I last played. And worst of all, I've got no clue what to do about it. I've tried a couple builds online, tried a few of my own modifications since I'm just running around by myself at the moment, and I've at least got a basic understanding of how my class works after coming back, but still dying in seconds, unable to even run to a freaking waypoint.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Post your build and gear (including weapons and runes). You shouldn't be having that much trouble, HoT zones are easy as pie for me as a dragonhunter.

• Locked thread