Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Telltale TWD games suffer from the same problem as the TV show - it's so set to be grim dark that it becomes painfully predictable and uninteresting. After playing for a bit you just know that the story and characters are not allowed to have a moment of respite, god forbid happiness. So instead of following a story and wondering how it's going to turn out, you know ahead of time that all characters are going to die, all places are going to get overrun etc., etc. There's no real development, no arc, just an endless stream of contrivances with which the writers reset the whole thing every time it starts to get interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

steinrokkan posted:

Telltale TWD games suffer from the same problem as the TV show - it's so set to be grim dark that it becomes painfully predictable and uninteresting. After playing for a bit you just know that the story and characters are not allowed to have a moment of respite, god forbid happiness. So instead of following a story and wondering how it's going to turn out, you know ahead of time that all characters are going to die, all places are going to get overrun etc., etc. There's no real development, no arc, just an endless stream of contrivances with which the writers reset the whole thing every time it starts to get interesting.

This is my problem with Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire. And, to a lesser extent, with some of Obsidian Entertainment's darker outings like Mask of the Betrayer and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Not to mention Bloodborne. Dark settings, in my opinion, really do need meaningful points of light to work effectively.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PubicMice posted:

This looks like the most boring loving game I have ever seen. They just stand in one place and mash attack while the boss refuses to react. And this demo video is supposed to make the game look good?

Yeah it turns out a lot of the charm of Symphony of the Night et al. is in the sprite work. Replace it with a bunch of lame models and it loses all the character.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MrJacobs posted:

also having a weird relationship seeing as how she cared for him for like 5 years when he was comatose.

"My name's Anya, and I'm here to bone ya :heysexy:"

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Morpheus posted:

I've stopped being interested in those games because they are all extremely railroaded, but try to pretend that they aren't. I just stopped caring about any of the plots or choices because no matter what, everything will stay the same except for the one time where you need to make a 'who lives, who dies' choice, which is pretty drat obvious when it comes up. The best TTG game is also the most railroaded, Tales from the Borderlands, but that game had the characters and writing to back it up and make it a great adventure, something the other games simply don't have.

I can understand why they do this, since if the story could actually branch each successive episode would have to be exponentially bigger to accommodate all possibilities, it's just dumb that they lie about it.

e:

Cythereal posted:

Bloodborne
:confused: Boodborne has a ton of things to break the mood. The Messengers are dorks, the Doll is cute, player messages are an art form unto themselves, and you can kill most enemies by shoving your arm up their rear end.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jun 26, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Twitch posted:

Witcher 3 mostly works because it's a relationship set up in years of books, because doing that poo poo in the span of a game usually doesn't turn out well.

On the other hand, whenever Mass Effect 3 started incorporating stuff from the books, that was the first sign that I should probably stop playing.

But Kai Leng got clowned on constantly ("Tell him he was fought off by a dying Drell."), and he straight up whines when Shepard mocks him over being a loser.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PubicMice posted:

:confused: Boodborne has a ton of things to break the mood. The Messengers are dorks, the Doll is cute, player messages are an art form unto themselves, and you can kill most enemies by shoving your arm up their rear end.

If you say so. I returned it the moment I figured out the game was trying to be a Cthulu-esque setting. No, thank you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

But the point of that game, unlike Cthulu stuff, is that you actually can beat the thing that's causing all the problems. You can't win in a Cthulu universe, but in Bloodborne, you absolutely can. Bad things happen to people along the way, but in the end you can make the nightmare end. Or you can make it continue. Or you can become one of the inhuman things that causes these problems, escaping the cycle by abandoning reality and your humanity.

Dark Souls has more of a "you can never actually win, only prolong the inevitable" message than Bloodborne.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cythereal posted:

If you say so. I returned it the moment I figured out the game was trying to be a Cthulu-esque setting. No, thank you.

Bloodborne is pretty much the only game I've ever played that has done Lovecraftian horror really well. I can't believe that someone actually went from boring rear end werewolves to hosed-up extradimensional alien horrors and at that point thought it was trite and overdone enough to return but woooooow.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

marshmallow creep posted:

But the point of that game, unlike Cthulu stuff, is that you actually can beat the thing that's causing all the problems. You can't win in a Cthulu universe, but in Bloodborne, you absolutely can. Bad things happen to people along the way, but in the end you can make the nightmare end. Or you can make it continue. Or you can become one of the inhuman things that causes these problems, escaping the cycle by abandoning reality and your humanity.

Dark Souls has more of a "you can never actually win, only prolong the inevitable" message than Bloodborne.

I like the boss in Dark Souls 3 who simply tells you whats up. Before the fight he tries to reason with you, begging you to just let the flame die.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy Mann posted:

The footage they showed at E3 this year looked awful, it's really slow and generic and the 2.5d graphics look like something out of an asset factory. There's one part in particular where a giant bell falls from the ceiling and turns into what appears to be chunks of delicious milk chocolate upon hitting the ground that made me :ughh: while watching.

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVYb6xeUcU

Yeah. I feel pretty good about how the Pathologic remake's going (the only other thing I've ever kickstarted), but Bloodstained's looking kinda bad so far.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Romance in games is something that needs to die, like yesterday, who the gently caress decided people want romance options? I mean if you want a game about romance buy a dating game or something lol.

People wanna roleplay, dude. The appeal of new Bioware RPGs is more in how you get to define your character by your decisions than in the gameplay, I think.

But then you get this whiplash effect where the character can be mega inconsistent and nobody seems to notice. Shep's personality can do a 180 and everyone will just act like that's what was up the whole time. The two best solutions I have seen to this are in:

1) Witcher 3: You can make Geralt handle things differently but you can't change his personality. In the very first tavern there's a pretentious scholar who wants to write like The Greate And Nobyle Historie Of My Lord's Armies Stomping Everyone's Balles. And you can either reproach him, or seem to encourage him while subtly pushing your viewpoint ("good, tell everyone what war is really like, murder, rape, horror"). Of course, in the second case, he doesn't follow ("rape and murder are but jewels upon the gown of history" or something) but hey you tried. I thought that was cool.

2) Alpha Protocol: They tell you up front that Mike is some kind of sociopath chosen for the mission because he's good at manipulating people with his bizarre behavior lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Roleplaying is fine, but in Bioware and Bethesda games the creators seemingly go out of their way to take that possibility away from the player. I don't think the romance plots in Mass Effect games really connect to your main decisions in any meaningful way. Or if you try to roleplay as a renegade, you can at most be a petulant dick who whines but goes along with the flow anyway. Or in Bethesda games - you can blow up a town, or pretty much do anything you want to anybody in FO4, and the world refuses to change, to adapt to your attempts at being evil, even acknowledge it with more than maybe couple sentences if you are lucky. It feels like some sort of Christian parable almost, no matter how hard you hit the game world, it still turns the other cheek.

So ultimately roleplaying boils down to a series of isolated incidents, the most notable of which are often romance threads.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

steinrokkan posted:

Roleplaying is fine, but in Bioware and Bethesda games the creators seemingly go out of their way to take that possibility away from the player. I don't think the romance plots in Mass Effect games really connect to your main decisions in any meaningful way. Or if you try to roleplay as a renegade, you can at most be a petulant dick who whines but goes along with the flow anyway. Or in Bethesda games - you can blow up a town, or pretty much do anything you want to anybody in FO4, and the world refuses to change, to adapt to your attempts at being evil, even acknowledge it with more than maybe couple sentences if you are lucky. It feels like some sort of Christian parable almost, no matter how hard you hit the game world, it still turns the other cheek.

So ultimately roleplaying boils down to a series of isolated incidents, the most notable of which are often romance threads.

I thought it was actually funny that Moira in FO3 was still your friend after you nuke her town and turn her into a ghoul. Like, for real? Can't let actions have consequences, now can we?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Moira's whole thing is to be relentlessly chirpy and oblivious.

Like it's a valid point about choice and consequence, but quite possibly the worst example in the entire game. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

I thought it was actually funny that Moira in FO3 was still your friend after you nuke her town and turn her into a ghoul. Like, for real? Can't let actions have consequences, now can we?

Hey, it's a learning experience. Now not only can she observe the effects of severe radiation sickness first hand, she can now go anywhere in the wasteland without worrying about radiation! Imagine where she could explore thanks to you! :haw:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

steinrokkan posted:

It feels like some sort of Christian parable almost, no matter how hard you hit the game world, it still turns the other cheek.

Haha yeah

I made an extremely long and prodromal post in the Little Things In Games thread about this so i'll spare yall. But i first noticed this playing Fable 2; the game LETS you kill everyone in town, but it can't adapt the plot to that in any meaningful way. It's just like, well, you're glowing with evil now and a bunch of the questgivers are gone. Whereas a Bioware protagonist's sex life is small and socially contained enough that it really can turn out differently from one playthrough to another.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

swamp waste posted:

The Binding Of Isaac runs are too long and too random. I hate to say it cause it's part of what appealed to me about the game at first, that there was this insanely sprawling christian guilt hell world that could turn out TOTALLY DIFFERENT, EVERY TIME

But the reality is that you;ll probably end up either too weak to stand a chance or too strong to give a gently caress, and that has largely been decided before you do anything. Smartly, they included stuff you can do to load the dice, like the angel and devil rooms. But those have a much narrower range of items, so most successful runs end up with some variation of flying / brimstone / knife / Guppy.

All of which are fun, but there's a ton of other cool stuff in the game that you hardly ever see, and also a lot of crappy items that aren't real interesting competing for RNG space with the good ones.

The latest expansion was pretty bad too. You could tell they ran out of steam with the last one because the only ideas they could think of were " this item is just like item X but it activates when you get hurt" and portals that spawn infinite amounts of enemies. The new "Chapter" is just one giant level that has random rooms and the boss is just a pallete swap of every other boss in them game except he can teleport anywhere on the map with no way to dodge.

There are waaaaay too many useless items. You could cut out at least 50 items and not even notice. I know not every run can be a Guppy Brimstone run but there's nothing worse than being on the womb with 5.0 damage because all the items you got were beans and soy milk.

The Devil/Angel room system is a great idea on paper but in reality there is no reason at all to even try for Angel Rooms unless you're trying to get to Mega Satan. The way it works is if you don't take damage you have a chance at the end of a floor to get a Devil or Angel room to spawn. The Devil Room has very powerful items but you have to permanently trade health for them. The Angel rooms have much better items and they are free, but they have less than half the chance of spawning and even if they do more than likely you'll just get 3 spirit hearts or a permanent heart, so it's rarely worth the trouble.

I think that's the biggest problem with BoI, there are lots of ways you can go, but there's no point in doing most of them because there are way harder and nowhere near as fun, so every run becomes " Devil Room-Cathedral-Chest".

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get " Real Platinum God" for the second time.

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jun 26, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poptart_fairy posted:

Moira's whole thing is to be relentlessly chirpy and oblivious.

Like it's a valid point about choice and consequence, but quite possibly the worst example in the entire game. :v:

A better example would probably be your dad or the Brotherhood, who absolutely know what you've done and chide you for it, but it doesn't go beyond a verbal slap on the wrist and then it's back to business as usual.

At least Fallout 4 will let you burn bridges with most of its organizations permanently, but the Minutemen will always be there for you no matter how monstrous you are.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
"You nuked an entire town full of innocent people and now it's nothing but a smoldering radioactive hole? oh son I am dissapointed"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The latest expansion was pretty bad too. You could tell they ran out of steam with the last one because the only ideas they could think of were " this item is just like item X but it activates when you get hurt" and portals that spawn infinite amounts of enemies. The new "Chapter" is just one giant level that has random rooms and the boss is just a pallete swap of every other boss in them game except he can teleport anywhere on the map with no way to dodge.

I didn't even buy the latest one. I heard about that stuff, and felt like i would not like it. I'm feelin pretty done with Isaac. Ed is working on some other projects and I hope he doesn't keep getting dragged back to wring more money out of the sure thing.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

A better example would probably be your dad or the Brotherhood, who absolutely know what you've done and chide you for it, but it doesn't go beyond a verbal slap on the wrist and then it's back to business as usual.

At least Fallout 4 will let you burn bridges with most of its organizations permanently, but the Minutemen will always be there for you no matter how monstrous you are.

Monstrous or not, there will always be a settlement that needs your help. Here, I'll mark it on your map.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance loving Kicks rear end

But i have one objection to it. There are 2 ways to refill your health: Zandatsu (the awesome zen precision one-hit-kill mode) and boring ol health pickups, which work like energy tanks in Metroid: if you die with one equipped, it's spent to refill your health meter.

OK so here is my issue: on hard difficulties, enemies do more damage, but the amount of health tanks you get and can carry is the same. Shouldn't this be the other way around? Because the way it is, on the hardest mode, Zandatsu doesn't matter as much, and the main arbiter of each fight's difficulty is how many health tanks you brought into it, because each hit will probably cost you one.

I feel it should be the opposite. Please vote for me for emperor of Japan so we can avoid this kind of oversight in the future. Thanks

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the boss in Dark Souls 3 who simply tells you whats up. Before the fight he tries to reason with you, begging you to just let the flame die.

Of course, Dark Souls 2 is all about how that's ultimately futile anyway. Vendrick refused to link the fire and it just meant that someone else would come by (you), killing and eating everyone for more power, and then linking the flame anyway. The fact that Dark Souls 2 and 3 even exist is proof that this happens to you in DaS1 if you refused to link the flame.

It's why I really liked that there was only one ending in the second game. It doesn't actually matter what you choose to do, the cycles will continue.

My thing dragging down Scholar of the First Sin is they caved to people whining and added a second ending.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm guessing when Destiny first launched it didn't have all these vestigial quest branches that are gated by DLC purchasing. I dunno if it's meant to entice me to fork over for content, but seeing walled off content puts me off. I'd rather they didn't appear in the base game at all until you buy the corresponding DLC.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm guessing when Destiny first launched it didn't have all these vestigial quest branches that are gated by DLC purchasing. I dunno if it's meant to entice me to fork over for content, but seeing walled off content puts me off. I'd rather they didn't appear in the base game at all until you buy the corresponding DLC.

The first Dragon Age had this as well, and everybody hated it then. I'm not sure what compels games companies to keep repeating this sin. It must actually sell DLCs, I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

It's really weird because now you can do quests that talk about Crota being dead, go eat his soul so you can murder his double-dead dad (because btw you killed him too even though you just got brought back to life by your ghost buddy) but then do a quest line where everyone freaks out that Crota's not actually turbo-dead, only regular dead and now you have to go into his ghost town and murder his ghost. Which you already did according the plot, because you needed to eat his soul to go fight his dad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nuebot posted:

It's really weird because now you can do quests that talk about Crota being dead, go eat his soul so you can murder his double-dead dad (because btw you killed him too even though you just got brought back to life by your ghost buddy) but then do a quest line where everyone freaks out that Crota's not actually turbo-dead, only regular dead and now you have to go into his ghost town and murder his ghost. Which you already did according the plot, because you needed to eat his soul to go fight his dad.

This is what happens when you have a linear story that makes sense, only it's broken up into DLC that can be played in any order. New Vegas had an arc across it's DLC that made thematic sense if you saved the final DLC for last, because otherwise you get a lot of ominous foreshadowing about a dude you kicked off a cliff hours ago.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This is what happens when you have a linear story that makes sense, only it's broken up into DLC that can be played in any order. New Vegas had an arc across it's DLC that made thematic sense if you saved the final DLC for last, because otherwise you get a lot of ominous foreshadowing about a dude you kicked off a cliff hours ago.

Except like, in Destiny you might not have actually done that. Because you don't kill Oryx until the end of the third DLC's story, and you don't double-kill him until the raid of the same DLC. But because the raid exists, and has been beaten you are canonically considered the guy who killed oryx forever and can embark on the fourth DLC's content. When I got the game, it was really weird that all the NPCs kept calling me Crota's Bane because I had no idea who, or what, Crota was. In fact I didn't kill him until long after I'd eaten his soul and double murdered his dad.

So it's kind of like if in New Vegas everyone kept talking about how you won the battle at the dam even though you never completed the main storyline.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Moria's definitely one of the better characters in Fallout 3 imo.
If I remember correctly though, wasn't it possible for three dog to praise you for some good deed you've done, and then immediately say your a bad person because of your karma?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Three Dog was the worst in Fallout 3 because of that poo poo. Especially since some of the choices, like the ghouls vs. rich assholes at tenpenny tower, are kind of stupid.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

The problem with The Walking Dead franchise is that they won't just loving say zombie. Or maybe they have by now, I don't know.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

New Butt Order posted:

The first Dragon Age had this as well, and everybody hated it then. I'm not sure what compels games companies to keep repeating this sin. It must actually sell DLCs, I guess.

It's probably easier on the eyes to see where your paid content will be in the game world than reading an article and having it be a bullet point in a list of new quests.

swamp waste posted:

Haha yeah

I made an extremely long and prodromal post in the Little Things In Games thread about this so i'll spare yall. But i first noticed this playing Fable 2; the game LETS you kill everyone in town, but it can't adapt the plot to that in any meaningful way. It's just like, well, you're glowing with evil now and a bunch of the questgivers are gone. Whereas a Bioware protagonist's sex life is small and socially contained enough that it really can turn out differently from one playthrough to another.

Huh, Fable 2 was also the first game to put me off when I saw how limited the game was at responding to my actions. I slaughtered a good portion of Bowerstone and earned a vile nickname from the town. Five minutes later I had everyone laughing by spamming the shart emote.

steinrokkan posted:

I think cinematic RPGs have a harder time at offering multiple and meaningful choices over isometric RPGs because the former have to put a lot more effort in looking consistently good for like 60+ hours while trying to offer the same kind of experience that the latter can supply by just having some decent looking sprites and stellar writing. The simpler-looking RPG can focus more on deeper quest structures, more varied dialog and combat options. Immersive RPGs have to present a believable world every second and at every possible angle the player can see while still providing the same kind of combat, dialog, and puzzle solving you'd expect from an RPG. Most of the time they need a narrative structure and that's why Deus Ex will always have you breaking off from UNATCO and fighting the same three bosses no matter how you play and it's why Alpha Protocol will always have you splintering off from Alpha Protocol to take down Alpha Protocol while still operating under Alpha Protocol.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a waste of time if an RPG wants to be a big immersive experience and also put some detail and effort in its quests. The Witcher 2 and 3 games are impressive to me because they are that kind of RPG. At least on your first run, it feels like the things you do will affect the people around you. Like the world is turning and you're at the fulcrum. Second and third runs do reveal how shallow the pool really is, but the initial feeling you get in TW2 when you side with Vernon Roche only to later murder King Henselt yourself and ironically prove your accusations true makes you wonder how drastically different things could be if you chose to work with Iorveth instead.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Three Dog was the worst in Fallout 3 because of that poo poo. Especially since some of the choices, like the ghouls vs. rich assholes at tenpenny tower, are kind of stupid.

I actually like what happens at the end of the Tenpenny story if you broker peace. I got the "Sometimes people are just lovely no matter the situation" moral the game was trying to convey.

My problem with it was that it didn't feel like the game was intentionally conveying that message because you can't talk to the ghouls after they slaughter the residents. Being a Bethesda game, I just thought the AI bugged out in the background and the sides went hostile because of some janked scripting.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Moon Monster posted:

The problem with The Walking Dead franchise is that they won't just loving say zombie. Or maybe they have by now, I don't know.

The Wolf Among Us had that problem too, when you have The Big Bad Wolf and Snow White roughing up Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum for information in a day-glow comic book noire you're well past the point of silliness where you should feel like having to use titles like Fables because calling them fairy tale creatures is beneath you.

Granted it's not just a video game problem, genre ficton in general seems to have a real problem with it. Even teenybopper Twilight knockoffs are full of titles like "casters" and "trylls" because Sexy Witches and Sexy Trolls are concepts that need to have gravity.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Action Tortoise posted:

I actually like what happens at the end of the Tenpenny story if you broker peace. I got the "Sometimes people are just lovely no matter the situation" moral the game was trying to convey.

My problem with it was that it didn't feel like the game was intentionally conveying that message because you can't talk to the ghouls after they slaughter the residents. Being a Bethesda game, I just thought the AI bugged out in the background and the sides went hostile because of some janked scripting.

Killing that eff-star-star-oval office Roy Philips nets you negative-karma, which is where the game loses people. The developer calls the player a bad person for killing someone indiscriminately worse than most players will ever be. Geralt of Rivia never had an angel on his shoulder telling him killing that rapist will put future-babies in jeopardy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Ah I never even noticed the karma loss at the time. What the hell is Roy's deal? I just thought he was casually racist to his ghoul sidekick in the radio dramas.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Action Tortoise posted:

Ah I never even noticed the karma loss at the time. What the hell is Roy's deal? I just thought he was casually racist to his ghoul sidekick in the radio dramas.

Roy is the leader of the ghouls, your thinking of dashwood and his ghoul manservant argyle.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Action Tortoise posted:

You might have been bugged, actually. The Ghouls should have been peaceful and gloating about how they got rid of the snobby smoothskins and can live in peace now.

The "twist" at end of the Tenpenny Tower quest is really only catches people because video games have conditioned players into assuming that any third compromise option is inherently going to be the best way to end the quest. That route forces two groups who hate and fear each other to live in close quarters together, and one group has a significant advantage in firepower. There's only one way that ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

Roy is the leader of the ghouls, your thinking of dashwood and his ghoul manservant argyle.

drat, how long's it been since i've played a fallout?

New Butt Order posted:

You might have been bugged, actually. The Ghouls should have been peaceful and gloating about how they got rid of the snobby smoothskins and can live in peace now.

Nah, I got those soundbytes. That never felt like a good enough ending for the quest. Should have had at least one more Oblivion zoom in for at least Roy to gloat over taking over the tower.