Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cleveland with IFHE owns bones. So much damage per volley because you pen all the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is the Zao still a good tier X cruiser or has it been power creeped to hell?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm quite enjoying the Nürnberg, but I'm about to unlock the Yorck. Is it worth keeping around for stuff? I already have a keeper Cleveland and a De Grasse, so I'm not really lacking T6 Cruisers.

Also, what's the German DD thing? Are they mostly gun-focused, and assuming so, how are they different from USA/Russian DDs?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I'm quite enjoying the Nürnberg, but I'm about to unlock the Yorck. Is it worth keeping around for stuff? I already have a keeper Cleveland and a De Grasse, so I'm not really lacking T6 Cruisers.

Also, what's the German DD thing? Are they mostly gun-focused, and assuming so, how are they different from USA/Russian DDs?

I liked the Nurn quite a bit, and with the recent buff its probably a pretty good ship. A bit too squishy but you can't have everything. I actually really enjoyed the Yorck, but admittedly im weird.

German DDs can be a bit underwhelming because they don't really excel at anything in terms of guns/torpedoes/speed. But having sonar does make them really awesome for contesting caps as you can go in and either kill or flush out people in a smoke cloud. Guns have better velocity than the US DDs and nearly as good RoF, but less velocity than the IJN and Russians. Torpedoes are usually just good enough to stealth torp, but never as safely as the Japanese, or as strong as the Fletcher. Not super fast, and they tend to be a bit wider than other DDs, which means big AP shells from cruisers and battleships are less likely to overpenetrate and instead cause 30% damage, which can mean a quick trip back to port if you are unlucky or foolhardy.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Aramoro posted:

Not strictly relevant but the largest ship the Royal Navy has ever built, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, has just set out for sea trials from Rosyth. Having just gone down to see it I can confirm, it's massive.

I hope the RN is giving her a 19 point captain. :haw:

BadLlama posted:

I oddly do better and have more fun in the DM, but it's still a powerful max range firestarter.

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, Cleveland's concealment even with Concealment Expert isn't that great. If it's a Cleveland-exclusive captain I'd honestly consider building without CE anyways, using the rest of your points after IFHE to boost its AA capabilities.

My Cleveland specific captain is 12 points and I took IFHE first and will likely use the next points to buff the AA.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Velius posted:

I have thousands of battles but no 19 point captains. I think my highest is 18. Is there some sort of cascading effect where getting one and using it more gets you xp you can then use to boost others, and that's how people are getting tons of 19 pointers?

I've got 2, one in a Des Moines and one in a Montana. You'd be surprised how quickly the free commander XP adds up once you hit 19 because of the T10 XP gains, on top of whatever flags and camos you may be running. I also use my Montana captain in my premium BB and DM captain in the premium cruisers so that keeps me earning the CO XP even when I'm not running the T10s. At some point I'm looking to not really having to level captains that much anymore and just being able to shoot them straight to 14 or 15 points.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MoraleHazard posted:

I hope the RN is giving her a 19 point captain.

Today's RN can't even afford camo or premium consumables. :britain:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So apparently there's a Dunkirk campaign coming.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I could use a new camo for Dunkerque, the one it came with is boring as gently caress

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I hope the RN is giving her a 19 point captain. :haw:

Well he ground out a bunch of xp on the Ark Royal.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

kaesarsosei posted:

I would say the Fuso stands out as being the worst vs CVs by a long distance because it probably has the worst AA (maybe its the Mutsu) but it also is much longer than the others and less maneoverable. Warspite, New Mexico and Bayern all have middling AA but are short and can turn well making them harder to hit with torps. I think New Mex has the best torpedo belt too.
Mutsu absolutely has the worst AA. It has something like 60 DPS total across all AA brackets.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Velius posted:

I have thousands of battles but no 19 point captains. I think my highest is 18. Is there some sort of cascading effect where getting one and using it more gets you xp you can then use to boost others, and that's how people are getting tons of 19 pointers?

This was a game tonight where me and bulbasaw abused the gently caress out of the smoke mechanics.

Check out the elite commander exp. That's what you use to fast track your captains.

It's hard to get your first one but then it just get's easier and easier to get more. I have like 2700 battles and I have five 19 point captains, one of each of USN, IJN. Soviets and two from KM. If you have the gold, put a 19 point skipper in whatever ship you are grinding and load that ship with every flag and cammo going, I have my Cleveland sat with a 19 point skipper just waiting for ranked.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Velius posted:

After you get your first 19 point captain the others follow quickly. With stacked bonus camos/flags those captains become an xp machine. I'm currently sitting on like 500k commander xp and that's just a week worth of battles with dragon flags and poo poo. That's not counting the fact that the majority of my captains aren't 19 pointers and don't give this kind of xp.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I did not realize commander XP was differentiated from regular old free XP. I might be very dumb. BRB grinding my 18 point Fletcher captain for days.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

BadLlama posted:

It's still the best tier X cruiser. I haven't played since after the french line came out and I'm comfortable with saying that

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

With the buff, the Hindenburg apparently has some nutty dpm. Over the last two weeks it did more damage per game than every tier 10 CA and the GK+Montana. Des Moines still has the higher winrate.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Because im a little slow on the uptake, I only now realized you can just buy the Belfast for dubloons and I still have a zillion from Santa boxes.

So theoretically if I had a 14 point Brit captain to retrain for it, something like the following?

Priority Target
Jack of All Trades
Demo Expert (maybe SI instead?)
Concealment
IFHE

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

Because im a little slow on the uptake, I only now realized you can just buy the Belfast for dubloons and I still have a zillion from Santa boxes.

So theoretically if I had a 14 point Brit captain to retrain for it, something like the following?

Priority Target
Jack of All Trades
Demo Expert (maybe SI instead?)
Concealment
IFHE

I went PT-AR-SI-CE, and I'll be coming back through as the commander levels and getting IFHE, DE and EM or JOAT (probably EM) in that order. You could change CE for IFHE in the order that you pick up the skills, I just liked sneaking in closer while undetected. Once I'm detected, everyone including the guys in the next map over try to shoot me.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

IFHE is definitely more important to the Belfast than Concealment Expert, though you do want both. You can always just hide in your smoke cloud to cover the one, but there's no real substitute to your HE shattering. Though if it's a 14 point captain you can obviously just get both skills now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wdarkk posted:

So apparently there's a Dunkirk campaign coming.

Makes perfect sense, since the one thing every scrublord shitler excels at in this game is running away from danger.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I did not realize commander XP was differentiated from regular old free XP. I might be very dumb. BRB grinding my 18 point Fletcher captain for days.

Free XP can also be used for captain training, if anybody was unaware.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
It is however a massive waste to do so. Free XP is very slow to accumulate, so it's better to save it to skip the grind for certain modules and hulls (or for getting a Missouri, if that's your thing).
Commander XP is much easier to get. 30k+ is very possible in a good game with Premium, Dragon flags and 19 pt. captain.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

BadLlama posted:

The Zao is still very good, massively superior to the Ibuki in every way except torp angles. But whereas for a long time it was indisputably the best T10 Cruiser, yes it has now been power-creeped to the point where I think the Hindenburg does everything it does better. Moskva and Des Moines are both such different playstyles that it's harder to compare but I would certainly rate the Hindenberg as better than Zao now. I don't know anything about the Henri but it looks bland as gently caress tbh.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

When does the new ranked season drop?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

The Zao is still very good, massively superior to the Ibuki in every way except torp angles. But whereas for a long time it was indisputably the best T10 Cruiser, yes it has now been power-creeped to the point where I think the Hindenburg does everything it does better. Moskva and Des Moines are both such different playstyles that it's harder to compare but I would certainly rate the Hindenberg as better than Zao now. I don't know anything about the Henri but it looks bland as gently caress tbh.

I don't have the Hindenburgh yet but on paper it does look that it now outperform the Zao at doing Zao things.
Zao has been nerfed many times (hp, stealth, stealth fire) while the Hindenburgh has gotten a bunch of HE buff (pen ans fire chances).
The Zao is better at long range AP pen and concealment if you can make use of those.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
One simple buff that would really make the Zao fearsome would be to give Atago-like torping angles. I don't think thats an unreasonable buff either.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
lol the zao doesn't need buffs :wtc:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Since they took away stealth firing, I think it needs a slight buff. They've nerfed it a bunch over time, increasing reload from 11 to 13 seconds, cutting the torpedo range from 10km to 8km, and reducing HP to ~40k. All of those nerfs were based on the logic that it had this very comfortable buffer where it could invisifire. I actually like taking away invisifiring, because that gimmick almost forced Zao into one role and all the subsequent nerfs were based on it. I think it could stand to see a slight HP buff, maybe 5k, and give it the option for the 12km torpedoes, keeping the same firing angles, so you can have a very small stealth torp area, much like a maxed out Atago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't really see Zaos in t10 battles anymore, it's wall to wall Des Moines these days. Des Moines, Minotaur, Hindenburg, Moskva, Zao, HIV from most to least often seen, with Des Moines way out in front.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
As well as thinking the Hindenberg is better, I think the Des Moines and Minotaur are more fun than the Zao. Not necessarily better or worse but there's a far better thrill from them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Des Moines and Minotaur super machine gun main batteries are just more fun to crank out the damage with vs the slower firing ambush cruisers like Zao, at least to me.

Yea, without torps the DM does lack the potential sucker punch knockout on anything that comes too close, but when you can smash 10-15k hp off broadside cruisers every 4.5 seconds or so, or even on BBs, torps become a somewhat secondary consideration. And if no one's dumb enough to broadside you then you can always BBQ any suckers in range just as well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Huge info drop today.

You may have to click the tabs on the sea-group site to get the stats to show up. At least I did.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh boy, a German CV that did absolutely nothing during the war, a 109 variant that had a whole 7 produced before it was entirely switched over to a land-based version, and a Stuka variant that never even entered production. Hell, I don't think the test model Ju87Cs were even tested with torpedoes, so good thing WG decided that's what its gimmick was going to be! I mean conceptually they were designed to carry both bombs and torpedoes, and torpedoes were tested on the Stuka D, but why the hell would you take possibly the most famous dive bomber in history and make its gimmick torpedoes?

On technical details, the planes were basically all pre-war design, and so were outdated pretty early on. As such, I'm going to go ahead and guess T6. A 42 plane hangar seems too much for T5.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I honestly don't care if they just make poo poo up to give Germans some kind of CV line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I honestly don't care if they just make poo poo up to give Germans some kind of CV line.

The Germans had a design for a Langley equivalent, and a bunch of basic plans for converting cruiserish sized hulls to carriers ala Independence, Ibuki, and a number of US and Japanese CVEs, but Graf Zeppelin was as far as they got in terms of real fleet carriers of which I'm aware. They could always make a pretend 'improved Graf Zeppelin' Peter Strasser, and then make something up completely for tier 10 as part of plan Z, same as how we got Roon, Hindenburg, Freddy, and the Great Sausage.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 27, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paper equipment never stopped a tank design from getting introduced by WG, I imagine the same is true for ships as long as they got enough of the design process to hammer out an estimated stat sheet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well, they can go Rhine? (ex-SS Ausonia) T4, Elbe (ex-SS Potsdam) T5, Weser (ex-Seydlitz) T6, Oder? (ex-SS Europa) T7, Graf Zeppelin T8, Paul Strasser T9, and Prinz Heinrich? T10

Problem is they all had woefully small air wings planned compared to every other naval power.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 27, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Dammit, missed the tier listing for Graf as I only checked the link.

Seriously, how the hell are they making a 42 plane CV a T8? Moreover, the Bf109T and Ju87C should be inferior planes(and both did at least have test versions - no completely made up stats for paper designs here) to what the US and IJN are fielding on their T7 CVs, let alone T8. There is no possible way that design should be able to compete at that tier.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

...Dammit, missed the tier listing for Graf as I only checked the link.

Seriously, how the hell are they making a 42 plane CV a T8? Moreover, the Bf109T and Ju87C should be inferior planes(and both did at least have test versions - no completely made up stats for paper designs here) to what the US and IJN are fielding on their T7 CVs, let alone T8. There is no possible way that design should be able to compete at that tier.

The stats on the SEA site has it with 72 planes, 25 fighters and 47 Torp bombers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
OMG, Jellicoe's flagship will finally get to slug it out bs the Konig