Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

There are also alternatives to cooking food. Even on the Plateau before you find any cold-weather clothing there is at least one other way to keep warm. One of the best things about this game is thinking and/or discovering ways around obstacles like that, so I won't specify. Enjoy!

I found the torch but the torch controls are awful. If i do anything other than walk slowly with the torch, Link puts it away. Graze a climeable wall, bye torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I found the torch but the torch controls are awful. If i do anything other than walk slowly with the torch, Link puts it away. Graze a climeable wall, bye torch.

If you find the old man at the top of one of the peaks near the shrine that's in the cold weather on the plateau, he will give you a warm doublet which will keep you warm.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I climbed Mount Hylia and got to the shrine with the torch. For some reason it took me a little longer to figure out cooking. But I made the connection that I needed fire to get through the area

The shrine on the cliff was actually the last shrine I arrived at, and I went through the winter area again to get to it after I learned how to cook. I didn't think I could climb up to it, despite the obvious stepping stones to lead you up there. So I just went the long way. Didn't get the early warm doublet

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

If you find the old man at the top of one of the peaks near the shrine that's in the cold weather on the plateau, he will give you a warm doublet which will keep you warm.

Talking to him at the cabin, and reading the journal is what told me how to cook, I think. That said, setting the Peppers on fire by themselves also has a useful property.

Welp, just finished killing all the Hinoxes. I know, you don't have to kill them all between Blood moons to trigger the reward, but decided to see how difficult that would be. Turns out, fairly trivial.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

Talking to him at the cabin, and reading the journal is what told me how to cook, I think. That said, setting the Peppers on fire by themselves also has a useful property.

Welp, just finished killing all the Hinoxes. I know, you don't have to kill them all between Blood moons to trigger the reward, but decided to see how difficult that would be. Turns out, fairly trivial.

IIRC he explains cooking if you run into him hunting pigs in the Spirit Woods too.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

"If you can think of it, it will probably work, regardless of how absolutely ridiculous it is" is one of the best parts of BOTW's design philosophy

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a square of small rocks near the Eldin Great Skeleton. Are they a Korok? I tried bringing over the other rock from the skull left eye with another Korok hiding under it, but putting it in the middle didn't do anything.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Is there any way to cheese the heart limit for the master sword? I really just wanna get the drat thing, and I was sad when I found out I couldn't just boost for it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Is there any way to cheese the heart limit for the master sword? I really just wanna get the drat thing, and I was sad when I found out I couldn't just boost for it.

If you had put some points into stamina, there is a place to respec to change them to hearts, so technically I think you could respec to get the sword, then respec again to go back to having as much stamina as you had before. I haven't tried this though so I can't confirm it works, and I can't remember exactly where the respec statue is.

edit:

quote:

At a point not too far into Breath of the Wild’s main quest, you’ll be sent to Hateno Village, a spot in eastern Hyrule, past the Dueling Peaks area. When you arrive in the village — particularly if you arrive during daytime — you may notice a small child playing near the gate marking the entrance to the village.

Talk to this child, and they’ll offer to show you something. Follow them, and they’ll take you to a statue that looks sort of similar to the ones you pray at to get upgrades but slightly more ... sinister.

Interacting with this statue will launch you into a sequence where it steals one of your hearts (!), but don’t worry. Talk to the statue again, and it will return your heart and introduce you to the concept of giving up health or stamina to gain the other in return.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 26, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are you eventually able to repair your half-broken gear?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

no.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Whenever your weapon is about to break, you can repair it by throwing it in your enemy's face and picking up whatever they were using.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i threw a stick into the water and it shattered

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

why isnt this a regular mechanic!! and why is there no bird mind control food like in wind waker!!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And why aren't there any fishing poles. :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was bomb fishing but eventually even that was too annoying so I just shoot electric arrows at the water now :effort:

e: also the other day I found out if you hit an ore with a regular arrow, the arrow will catch on fire.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

why doesn't the sick boy give me a net

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

my new dog posted:

why isnt this a regular mechanic!! and why is there no bird mind control food like in wind waker!!

I thought it was and I tried to feed the first wolves i saw in the game but then they instantly murdered me

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting the Master Sword until you're close to the end anyway. When I got it, I felt like it broke the flow of using up weapons and nabbing replacements from the enemies. I also felt less incentivized to come up with fun ways to take out a camp, and I'm pretty sure it's also the reason I started leaving most of the weapons I found behind, because I was encouraged to just wait out the cooldown time on the sword rather than "press on and keep using all your weapons", which meant I just kept accumulating a pile of weapons I'll never use. (beast spoiler) Urbosa's Fury made that problem even worse.

I do realize that I could opt not to use those things but at the same time it feels against the spirit of the game to not use everything at your disposal.

And along those lines, I'd say not to worry about it. Eventually you'll be getting better weapons as fast if not faster than you can find them. In general this mechanic is there to get you to find creative solutions to taking out an enemy camp and to keep the loot you find relatively valuable, as opposed to Twilight Princess where every hidden chest was loving rupees. In this game you'll be very happy to find rupees.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use the Master sword mostly for busting crates and ores :v:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Master Sword is the best tree cutter in the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basically. Use your other weapons to fight enemies. Use the master sword to go mining and open boxes

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Argue posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting the Master Sword until you're close to the end anyway. When I got it, I felt like it broke the flow of using up weapons and nabbing replacements from the enemies. I also felt less incentivized to come up with fun ways to take out a camp, and I'm pretty sure it's also the reason I started leaving most of the weapons I found behind, because I was encouraged to just wait out the cooldown time on the sword rather than "press on and keep using all your weapons", which meant I just kept accumulating a pile of weapons I'll never use. (beast spoiler) Urbosa's Fury made that problem even worse.

I do realize that I could opt not to use those things but at the same time it feels against the spirit of the game to not use everything at your disposal.

The Master Sword isn't even that great unless you're fighting "corrupted" or whatever enemies, while it's glowing. 30 power ain't a high bar to clear. I find weapons with twice that much on the regular. Heck I've found weapons with even more power than even the powered up version of the Master Sword. I only used it to fight Guardians. Didn't even really use it on the dungeon bosses, either. I mostly used arrows on them.

Now I suppose when the DLC drops and you can clear the Trial of the Sword and have the Master Sword in "powered up" state all the time, then the idea will have some merit. Even so I probably won't use it any more than I already do. Other weapons are just more interesting!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Basically. Use your other weapons to fight enemies. Use the master sword to go mining and open boxes

And chop legs off guardians.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I believe, with some exceptions, that damage rating plays into how many times you have to hit something to harvest it.

Also, considering weapon scaling, augments and hard mode, i expect difficulty to be high at start, sorta peter out after we get established off the plateau, and then ramp up once we are near the end with everything, just because expect 100dmg+ weapons all over the castle or on lynels.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I use the Master Sword when I'm cosplaying as Link with the Tunic of the Wild and the Hylian shield.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Spellman posted:

why doesn't the sick boy give me a net

you need at least one bottle

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

The Master Sword isn't even that great unless you're fighting "corrupted" or whatever enemies, while it's glowing. 30 power ain't a high bar to clear. I find weapons with twice that much on the regular. weapons are just more interesting!

yeah I mean you can start getting dragonbone clubs fairly early in the game and those are like 50 something, way more powerful than most swords

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

my new dog posted:

I never use the wolf. It's cool but annoying, he will run off a mile to attack any monster near you. There's a point where you don't want to engage every white bokoblin and decayed guardian you come across...

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It turns out Johnathon Blow is actually extremely bad at playing video games/Breath of the Wild.

Like really bad.

Then again if you go into a game after expecting/wanting to hate it for months then it's probably really easy to get your wish.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
More like Johnathan Blows.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The camcorder LP is back

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The what now?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol he went into it with a hateboner then complained about the dumbest poo poo. if anything it's reinforced my dislike for this fucker.

I guess maybe he'd like it if every shrine was just a loving dot puzzle

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
"Hey, there sure is a whooole lot of nothing. Just like every open world game from 2005."

- He says, right as he's walking through an area and passes by no less than 4 secrets, lol

edit: he played for 3 hours and couldn't find a single korok? He has to be willfully dense here

Ventana fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 26, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ventana posted:

"Hey, there sure is a whooole lot of nothing. Just like every open world game from 2005."

- He says, right as he's walking through an area and passes by no less than 4 secrets, lol

edit: he played for 3 hours and couldn't find a single korok? He has to be willfully dense here

Had to do a quick google to double check that Blow is the guy behind The Witness, a minimalist explorer/puzzle game.
But wandering someone else's landscape and solving different puzzles is somehow a waste of time.
Maybe BotW needs more Braid narration?

"Link had feelings about Zelda. Feelings he couldn't quite express. Feelings he couldn't track on his Sheikah Slate. Sometimes when the sun went down, he wondered if his feelings were changing day by day too, and if they would someday come back as a blood moon... YAHAHA!"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally got around to finishing this over the weekend. All divine beasts done, got the master sword, ~70 shrines and ~35 korok seeds. Good game overall but I think it suffers from a lack of some kind of optional boss or something. There's nothing more threatening than Calamity Ganon who's already a cakewalk, so everything left to do seems like it's only in the game as completionist fodder. There are surely a lot of sidequests I didn't complete which have their own interesting stories, but the major thing is to go find 50 more nearly identical shrines and 870 seeds which won't give me anything all that useful. I could sail around hoping my shrine sensor goes off, but there's a good chance it's going to be another test of strength shrine which rewards me with a weapon worse than the stuff I'm already holding.

I don't feel any drive to seek out the optional content I missed since it won't have any real use besides having another costume to look at or something like that. After seeing what they did, even the divine beasts feel like something I could have just skipped since taking half the health off the final boss is an underwhelming outcome for so much time invested and given how easy he is anyway. The actual dungeon aspect of them is repetitive and a handful of interesting shrines did a better job of giving me the traditional Zelda dungeon feel. The skills you get for completing them are useful, but the actual impact on the final boss is kind of boring. I was expecting some sort of fundamental change to the way the fight went, like they disabled a powerful attack he would otherwise use or something like that.

There needs to be something that actually justifies the completionist urge. Some giant megaboss that hits for crazy damage and has a ton of health, so it's actually worth your time to build up a bunch of hearts, upgrade gear, and do all the other stuff.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
White maned lynels were tougher for me than most of the bosses if I'm being honest

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Space Fish posted:

Had to do a quick google to double check that Blow is the guy behind The Witness, a minimalist explorer/puzzle game.
But wandering someone else's landscape and solving different puzzles is somehow a waste of time.
Maybe BotW needs more Braid narration?

"Link had feelings about Zelda. Feelings he couldn't quite express. Feelings he couldn't track on his Sheikah Slate. Sometimes when the sun went down, he wondered if his feelings were changing day by day too, and if they would someday come back as a blood moon... YAHAHA!"

dude was probably bitter as poo poo that whoever made BotW didn't have to use a catheter just to keep working on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The lynels were tougher than the story bosses

Also did they say how long the Trials of the Sword will be? I know it's 45 rooms and I know I'll probably give up when the devs make you fight 3 Gold Lynels at once at some point in it