Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Imagined posted:

Is the SNES mini going to have the same hilariously short baby controller cables like Nintendo thinks we all live in Tokyo studio apartments?

you dont?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Imagined posted:

Is that true? USB cables? But the only believable excuse for the NES classic's short cables was that they were basically Wii attachments...

It's a joke, they're not USB cables. They're not Wii cables either this time. The ports are miniature versions of the original SNES ports.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

you dont?

Yes and I play all my games sitting cross-legged on the floor two feet in front of my television.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Is that true? USB cables? But the only believable excuse for the NES classic's short cables was that they were basically Wii attachments...
poo poo, I don't know. It's almost certainly a proprietary cable two feet long. I was just commiserating :smith:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Ventana posted:

Have you tried the higan emulator? It's the most accurate one. And having just recently looked up info about it, the dev himself (byuu) said that he's been actively working on issues and resolving them quickly to very accurate levels. This is assuming that you're not just experiencing PC issues, I don't remember how intensive bsnes is.

I have a kaby lake i7 with a dedicated vid card and 16 ram, I'd doubt it's a PC issue. Granted, I haven't tried it since I just bought it on cartridge.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the plus side, Nintendo have clearly learned something from the NES Mini; The SNES one is just straight up including two controllers instead of releasing standalone ones at a ratio of about one per twenty consoles.

However, because it's Nintendo, the cables will once again be 3 inches long

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Where? Is GameStop selling pre-orders?

amazon uk have preorders up. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071G84PFQ

doesnt seem to be up yet on the us version. game in the uk also have it up but gently caress that store.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wonder what games the super famicom will have. watch those fuckers get dkc2 and 3 and chrono trigger. probably ffv too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
True story: I got one of the NES Classics for my son last Christmas. Just lined up at GameStop and got lucky. Then my best friend's wife told me she'd been wanting to get her husband one but couldn't find one anywhere. Since my son didn't even know about its existence, I split it with her as a gift to my best friend from all of us.

Now every time I go over to his house I see it sitting on a bookshelf collecting dust, not hooked up to anything, and I want to murder him. I've never seen him play it, ever.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm pretty certain that the SNES Classic is primarily being produced to get Nintendo's IP into the spotlight again. After how enormous the NES Classic was in the mainstream, there's way more value in getting people talking/reminiscing about Nintendo than turning a small profit on a novelty console. It'll dovetail nicely into NESflix next year and I'm betting they're hoping it'll move Switch units among people who weren't able to grab a NES/SNES Classic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

much like how people thought Earthbound was a no-go for VC due to "music rights problems" I guess it turns out Star Fox and Yoshi's Island being left out on VC was not because of an FX chip rights issue. Earthbound was really just out of laziness while the SNES Classic games were probably just held back to put on this thing, same with Star Fox 2

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
star fox 2 will be GOTY in the year 2017

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Ok so when can we preorder in the US? Can't leave this one to chance - too many good SNES games.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Imagined posted:

No, they're Classic Controller from what the web site says. But if that's the case, the extension cables for the NES Mini should work too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

InFlames235 posted:

Ok so when can we preorder in the US? Can't leave this one to chance - too many good SNES games.

For a fraction of a second the day of release.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/879409649077952512

Still too short.:(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

just get an 8bido sfc30 and their eventual wireless adapter.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

thats what she said

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just gonna use an 8bitdo with adapter.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Vikar Jerome posted:

just get an 8bido sfc30 and their eventual wireless adapter.

The Retro Receiver for the NES Classic would probably work, too. It supports the extra buttons on emulators, so it'll probably work out of the box or with a firmware update on the SNES Classic.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Imagined posted:

Now every time I go over to his house I see it sitting on a bookshelf collecting dust, not hooked up to anything, and I want to murder him. I've never seen him play it, ever.

your kid wouldn't play with it either and it would just collect dust on your bookshelf vs your friend's, if it makes you feel any better

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

No, they're Classic Controller from what the web site says. But if that's the case, the extension cables for the NES Mini should work too.

The system visibly does not have CC ports, which are blocky and U-shaped. Instead it has proprietary, flat ports mimicking the original SNES ports (but smaller). They're just calling the controllers "SNES Classic Controller" for naming consistency. Wii classics won't work unless someone puts out an adapter.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lmao the uk preorder on amazon is already sold out. glad i got one but its kinda dumb they had this up and still havent put it up on the us site. i bet half the uk preorders are from the usa.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I might as well just play on any emulator if I'm going to use a different controller. Most of the appeal of the package comes from the accurate feeling controllers for me. The NES Classic ones felt pretty much exactly the same as the originals.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

UK version already sold out on Amazon.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I might as well just play on any emulator

seriously, there's an entire treasure trove of SNES japanese only games that have gotten translation patches which I need to very much dig into

too many great games, both in the past, present, and future!!!!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Supercar Gautier posted:

The system visibly does not have CC ports, which are blocky and U-shaped. They're just calling the controllers "SNES Classic Controller" for naming consistency. Wii classics won't work unless someone puts out an adapter.

Nintendo's Web Page posted:

The Super NES Classic Edition is compatible with the Classic Controller™ and Classic Controller Pro™ accessories. Just plug it in and play!
They're on there somewhere, unless they're releasing two new products called the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I guess they could be in the back? Because those front ports are absolutely definitely not CC ports.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have any links to tutorials on setting up a raspberry pi to be a SNES?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

murked by dragon posted:

Does anyone have any links to tutorials on setting up a raspberry pi to be a SNES?

this is the only relevant question in this thread

seriously though, I'm sure youtube is chockfull of tutorials

the real challenge is in building a raspberry pi portable!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looking forward to hearing the menu music. The NES Classic one owned and should be included in Smash 4 Deluxe.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Supercar Gautier posted:

I guess they could be in the back? Because those front ports are absolutely definitely not CC ports.

The front ports are just engravings, there's nothing behind there. Look at the closeups.

The pictures they've released haven't showed the right side or back, so they have to be on one of the two.

Here's Nintendo's site about it. It also looks like it's got 4 convex buttons on the controller instead of 2 concave/2 convex, but that might just be the lighting.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 26, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think those front ports are actually ports

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

doesnt make much design sense if they are at the side. the nes classic had them at the right ports.

wonder if it is CC to clear out that club nintendo backlog they have and they just come with snes mini adapters or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KingSlime posted:

your kid wouldn't play with it either and it would just collect dust on your bookshelf vs your friend's, if it makes you feel any better

Of all the people I know who own an NES classic, none of them continue to play it outside of the "wow this is cool" phase. These are high functioning knick knacks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

guys, what if it IS CC, but the system is actually bluetooth and you need a loving wiimote a piece to use the pads.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hurry the gently caress up, amazon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe the two front ports are for the replica SNES controllers, and then there's a CC port in the back for alternatives or for your third Secret of Mana controller? The mystery continues.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Of all the people I know who own an NES classic, none of them continue to play it outside of the "wow this is cool" phase. These are high functioning knick knacks.

I already own almost all of the games on the SNES classic, but I no longer have my copy of Street Fighter or FFIII and obviously don't have Star Fox 2.
I'd probably play through most of the games at least once and play a good deal of SF rather than buying it on switch or whatever.

I'd play it at least as much as $80 worth of most current games which is less than two. Price per fun seems good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesnt make much design sense if they are at the side. the nes classic had them at the right ports.

wonder if it is CC to clear out that club nintendo backlog they have and they just come with snes mini adapters or something.

Lol at myNintendo giving out anything physical. They've been such a disaster compared to club Nintendo. The Switch rewards have been coming soon since launch. By the time they let me use them my points will be expired.

• Locked thread