Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
In my case I heard (:downs:) that android o could fix problems I was having, and going up a version is way easier than going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

nimper posted:

I'm currently doing this but as stated above there is no sense in it.
of course not, that's for phones by HTC :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Nokia 6 is coming out in July here for $230

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/26/15872832/nokia-6-hmd-global-amazon-july-2017-229

quote:

featuring a 5.5-inch, 1920 x 1080 display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 processor, 3GB of RAM, and 32GB of internal storage (expandable by microSD). On the software side of things, the 6 runs Android Nougat in its purest, unadulterated form — that means no bundled apps or overlaid skins. Plus, while the specs are decidedly average, the Nokia 6 does stand out with a metal unibody design built out of a single block of aluminum, which adds a premium touch to the otherwise midrange device.

According to HMD, the Nokia 6 will only offer full support for 4G LTE for T-Mobile customers. AT&T will be partially supported, while Sprint and Verizon CDMA-based networks won’t work at all.

It's exclusive to Amazon. I might grab this one instead of the Moto G5 Plus. I like the slightly larger screen and I don't really care about the processor speed.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 26, 2017

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
G5+ seems like a better choice. The 600 series processors are very good for efficiency, solid performance, and battery life. I don't care about processor performance either, but the 600 series is in the sweet spot. Plus more storage and RAM. I hope it's a good device so Nokia becomes a compelling Android option in the future, but after seeing this I'm very happy that I went with the G5+.

edit after reading thoroughly:

"According to HMD, the Nokia 6 will only offer full support for 4G LTE for T-Mobile customers. AT&T will be partially supported, while Sprint and Verizon CDMA-based networks won’t work at all."

That's the ballgame right there, unfortunately.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm probably never leaving T-Mobile so I'm fine with that. Also if I'm used to using a Nexus 6 and it feels plenty fast enough for everything I do I think the Nokia should be fine. The only concern I have is that it's pretty much a new company with no history of Android update speed.

I'm still waiting for my Nexus 6 to get Android 7.1 gently caress you Google/Motorola.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
NFC and fingerprint at that price point is something.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm shoehorning this in as I'm not sure where else to ask, so here we go...

A friend of mine has used my last 2 handed-down phones, the 2013 Moto G and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. He's a clumsy, accident-prone half-wit and has smashed the Moto G beyond use. The Z3 has been dropped in such a manner that the top of the screen no longer responds to touch, and the headphone jack apparently is sending sound to only one channel.

So, right now he needs another way to play music on-the-go. He's a man of little means, so getting a good replacement like a Moto G5+ isn't an option. The phone part of the Z3 still works (for now), so can anyone recommend any portable music player instead? I don't know what his budget would be so I'm open to suggestions.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Get that man some griptape stat

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm open to suggestions.

A used Z3C and a lanyard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A friend of mine has used my last 2 handed-down phones, the 2013 Moto G and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. He's a clumsy, accident-prone half-wit and has smashed the Moto G beyond use. The Z3 has been dropped in such a manner that the top of the screen no longer responds to touch, and the headphone jack apparently is sending sound to only one channel.

So, right now he needs another way to play music on-the-go. He's a man of little means, so getting a good replacement like a Moto G5+ isn't an option. The phone part of the Z3 still works (for now), so can anyone recommend any portable music player instead? I don't know what his budget would be so I'm open to suggestions.

Splurge on an S7 Active and even then, put it in an otterbox and on a lanyard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

$230 is highway robbery for a SD400 series device.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Moto G4 Play? Still $100 on Amazon if you get the ad-supported version, just stick in an SD card and he can carry around all the music he wants.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still waiting for my Nexus 6 to get Android 7.1 gently caress you Google/Motorola.

I mean, the N6 is damned old, and you can get 7.1 on it via the beta program. That Nokia 6 is a tempting device, though I'm still very happy with my G5+.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's what makes me mad about these lack of updates. My Nexus 6 is ancient in the tech world but it still feels plenty fast and does everything I need it to do. The screen still looks great and the battery lasts all day. If I didn't care about getting Android O I would just keep using it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Snapdragon 805 in the N6 is still a relatively speedy chip compared to low end chipsets like the SD430.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

The Snapdragon 805 in the N6 is still a relatively speedy chip compared to low end chipsets like the SD430.

I owned an N6 for a short while (bought new on sale for 200USD) and it was a great device. I sold it to a friend and bought a Moto X Pure which, in hindsight, was probably a lateral move and I shouldn't have done it. I missed the Moto X features a lot though.

Edit: quote is not edit what the hell.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has Google Now (or whatever they're calling it now) stopped showing you information for upcoming trips? I'm flying today, but have nothing about it in my cards. I do have that second "Upcoming" tab, which does have a single small card just saying I have a trip to [place], but that's a lot less than I used to get.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay, so no one wants to buy my galaxy s7 for some reaosn, if I follow these instructions, will I be able to use my canadian s7 with an american sim card if I move down there?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon is selling the Nokia 6 w/ ads for $180. I'm so tempted but I'm waiting for the press reviews. Too many questions about the processor and update promises.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nierbo posted:

Okay, so no one wants to buy my galaxy s7 for some reaosn, if I follow these instructions, will I be able to use my canadian s7 with an american sim card if I move down there?

You can use the Canadian S7 on T-mobile or AT&T (and related MVNOs like MetroPCS or Cricket). It does not support Verizon or Sprint's CDMA network.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nierbo posted:

You don't need to root your phone to use it on a different carrier, you just need to have an unlocked phone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Surfing the web without ad block is like having a picnic next to a sewage pipe. Buying an ad supported phone is like sluicing the sewage directly into your kitchen.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
My 6p is having issues charging reliably so I may have to bite the bullet on the essential phone. I mean, the other day I couldn't get my phone to charge for the night and I almost considered the OP5, but I'd rather just use a burner. I'm really hoping this phone can last me until pixel 2, but that seems unlikely. First time my phone will force an upgrade on me earlier than I'd like.

I would buy the pixel, but it seems dumb to wait a year and a half and then get it just to save $150.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

You don't need to root your phone to use it on a different carrier, you just need to have an unlocked phone.

On that note: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/16/canada-rules-that-all-new-cellphones-must-be-unlocked/

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

nimper posted:

You can use the Canadian S7 on T-mobile or AT&T (and related MVNOs like MetroPCS or Cricket). It does not support Verizon or Sprint's CDMA network.

Oh thanks for the info.

LastInLine posted:

Oh, rooting it doesn't unlock it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Nierbo posted:

Oh thanks for the info.
Oh, rooting it doesn't unlock it?

No, rooting it just gets root to the OS. It has nothing to do with unlocking.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ohhhhh okay, thanks guys and gals.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If i bought a one plus 5 and used their priority shipping it would take 8 days to arrive, for $10 lol

You can ship usps priority 1-3 day for $6 for something the size of the oneplus 5

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I upgraded to a Moto G5+ (4gb/64gb version) and so far I love it. But this phone is slippery. Like, it's hard to get a grip on it.

I would rather not have a huge, ugly case on it. So... any other options so my baby-hands don't fumble this thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

Surfing the web without ad block is like having a picnic next to a sewage pipe. Buying an ad supported phone is like sluicing the sewage directly into your kitchen.

Posted in the Android thread.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

So I upgraded to a Moto G5+ (4gb/64gb version) and so far I love it. But this phone is slippery. Like, it's hard to get a grip on it.

I would rather not have a huge, ugly case on it. So... any other options so my baby-hands don't fumble this thing?

TPU cases, all phones all the time

Here's the one I just got

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS3W7LR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RYNuzbY3TVB3J

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Posted in the Android thread.

Yeah, this. I mean, I hate advertising too, but if you really want to avoid it, not buying a phone whose OS was made by one of the biggest advertising companies in the world might be a start.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FistEnergy posted:

TPU cases, all phones all the time

Here's the one I just got

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS3W7LR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RYNuzbY3TVB3J
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

If this one fails I guess the next step will be a textured skin of some kind.

I have literally chucked this phone across the (carpeted) floor at work twice now, so I need to do something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you tried gluing grip tape to the back

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Might I recommend whacking it against a desk

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So the Note 8 is going to be approximately $1000?

Samsung can gently caress right off. I'll find something else.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

So the Note 8 is going to be approximately $1000?

Samsung can gently caress right off. I'll find something else.

there is no universe in which you should spend that kind of money and not get an iPhone

I know that's controversial to this thread but then again, the thread hates sarnsung so

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon is selling the Nokia 6 w/ ads for $180. I'm so tempted but I'm waiting for the press reviews. Too many questions about the processor and update promises.

Press reviews will tell you nothing about what updates will be like. This is why you only buy phones from companies who have the best track record at doing updates.

syscall girl posted:

there is no universe in which you should spend that kind of money and not get an iPhone

I know that's controversial to this thread but then again, the thread hates sarnsung so

No its not? People are told to get an iPhone in this thread all the time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

If it has a 4K screen for Gear VR then I'll buy it... with my company's money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

syscall girl posted:

What if I want a premium device but prefer my OS to be more deliberately paced than IOS? Touchwiz fits that bill.