Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grixis Shadow plays a 6 drop

or at least, a card with a cmc of 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Lile all the ones that get played now, such as

Good point actually. I still think it would polarize the metagame around Jace though. It seems like the best way to beat Jace (if you're not playing your own) would be to effectively win by turn 3.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

Grixis Shadow plays a 6 drop

or at least, a card with a cmc of 6

i play cards with CMC 5 and 7 all the time in legacy. surely modern can afford some four-drops

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bonus posted:

Good point actually. I still think it would polarize the metagame around Jace though. It seems like the best way to beat Jace (if you're not playing your own) would be to effectively win by turn 3.

So business as usual except you're finally have an incentivize to play a deck that tries to get to turn 5.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Lile all the ones that get played now, such as

Scapeshift
TKS
Collected Company
Past in Flames
Cryptic

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Scapeshift
TKS
Collected Company
Past in Flames
Cryptic

So a 2-3 mana creature, 2 spells that end the game on resolution, a spell nobody plays, and a 2-for-1 instant speed spell in a deck with mana dorks. I'm really not seeing your point here; Jace is really bad against every one of those cards.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Bonus posted:

suicidesteve posted:

So business as usual except you're finally have an incentivize to play a deck that tries to get to turn 5.
I was gonna say what steve said.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

eSporks posted:

I was gonna say what steve said.

Hopefully without the typo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'd be down to try Jace in Modern. The format is so aggressive that a low-impact four mana spell is already mostly unplayable, especially since you don't have free countermagic to protect him, and control really needs a payoff card for living to lategame better than activating Celestial Colonnade.

EDIT: I still think the real problem with control is that answers are typically situational and/or cost more mana than the threats they respond to, which means it's easy to find yourself holding up Path vs Scapeshift or just get run over because the other deck went Thoughtsieze > Thoughtsieze + Death's Shadow. Having a Brainstorm effect would at least help unload dead cards in the wrong matchups but a four mana spell isn't going to solve the second problem.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 26, 2017

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Cawblade or Esper Cawblade might actually match up fairly well against Death's Shadow. Lots of guys to chump/protect your Jace and you get the best sweeper in the game if all else fails.

I still wouldn't want Jace unbanned though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They can unban Jace when I have a playset of them.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
If Jace was unbanned no other midrange deck could compete unless they had Jace. Isn't the complaint against Death's Shadow for the sake of diversity? Jace would be even worse

Star Man posted:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Star Man posted:

I just got a playset, and I am in favor of the unbanning.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

myDad posted:

If Jace was unbanned no other midrange deck could compete unless they had Jace. Isn't the complaint against Death's Shadow for the sake of diversity? Jace would be even worse

There are plenty of generic midrange value cards that will haze you for tapping out for a Jace in a format where countermagic costs mana.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Voyager I posted:

There are plenty of generic midrange value cards that will haze you for tapping out for a Jace in a format where countermagic costs mana.

Which is why no one's going to be tapping out on turn 4 to play a Jace, they just wait until turn 6 when they can hold up a Mana Leak, Remand, Spell Pierce....

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Which is why no one's going to be tapping out on turn 4 to play a Jace, they just wait until turn 6 when they can hold up a Mana Leak, Remand, Spell Pierce....

The whole point of adding him back to the format was to give control decks an actual payoff for extending the game that long, and we're not talking about some generic midrange deck with a value Jace.

Also I'm not sure holding up T6 Mana Leak is going to work out the way you want it to in a format defined by 1-2 mana spells.

EDIT: in general, different formats are different environments that affect how cards perform beyond their individual power level. Delver and Mentor are both Legacy powerhouses that see no play at all in Modern because the support for them isn't there, and I suspect Jace is going to have a similar problem just by virtue of being a 4-mana spell with little immediate impact in the fastest format.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 26, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

swans of bryn argoll

This guy gets it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Voyager I posted:

It's a bit dated, but I think it'd be too powerful going by this contributor's tests: http://modernnexus.com/testing-mind-sculptor-data/

Imo it'd be stronger in a UB shell due to the strength of IoK/Thoughseize, Push, Tasigur, and Angler, but if you can trust the data it would have a significant impact on the meta-game due to turning a lot of 50/50 or worse matchups into favorable ones.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

myDad posted:

It's a bit dated, but I think it'd be too powerful going by this contributor's tests: http://modernnexus.com/testing-mind-sculptor-data/

Imo it'd be stronger in a UB shell due to the strength of IoK/Thoughseize, Push, Tasigur, and Angler, but if you can trust the data it would have a significant impact on the meta-game due to turning a lot of 50/50 or worse matchups into favorable ones.

It would be BUG all day. There's no reason not to have ramp and goyf.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ah, that crucial turn in modern, turn 6.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

myDad posted:

And still just getting its poo poo pushed in by Eldrazi Aggro, Burn, and Affinity.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It would be BUG all day. There's no reason not to have ramp and goyf.

Modern is in a brave new world where T2 Goyf does not necessarily control the ground anymore and your mana dorks will not be Deathrite Shaman, so I'm not as convinced on the green splash.

I could see him working in a midrange deck that protected him with creatures rather than Verdicts, though.

EDIT: amazingly, Modern has also ended up getting faster since Probe was banned, and the current metagame doesn't resemble the one he tested against.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like jtms slots in pretty naturally to Grixis Shadow

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

EvilBeard posted:

And still just getting its poo poo pushed in by Eldrazi Aggro, Burn, and Affinity.

The tests put Jace version up to 52% against Bant Eldrazi & 70% against Affinity. JtMS +2 is very strong against Burn and takes 2 burn spells to kill after.

I still think it would be gas for Grixis Shadow. Once it's gotten the point where one would flashback Kommand to grind out instead JtMS could drop for Brainstorm, Fateseal, or bounce an opponent's Angler for the mirror.

The meta has certainly changed, but it still seems very unlikely to be unbanned, and I pray Death's Shadow isn't banned either.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Voyager I posted:

EDIT: amazingly, Modern has also ended up getting faster since Probe was banned, and the current metagame doesn't resemble the one he tested against.

The prevalence of IoK & Thoughtseize slowed the format down... do you remember playing against Infect or Jeskai Ascendancy?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

myDad posted:

The tests put Jace version up to 52% against Bant Eldrazi & 70% against Affinity. JtMS +2 is very strong against Burn and takes 2 burn spells to kill after.

I still think it would be gas for Grixis Shadow. Once it's gotten the point where one would flashback Kommand to grind out instead JtMS could drop for Brainstorm, Fateseal, or bounce an opponent's Angler for the mirror.

The meta has certainly changed, but it still seems very unlikely to be unbanned, and I pray Death's Shadow isn't banned either.

Yes he would be an easy inclusion in grixis are a BUG DS build could work around him easily as well.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes he would be an easy inclusion in grixis are a BUG DS build could work around him easily as well.

I didn't think modern would be the place for BUG considering the dissonance between Delve creatures & Tarmogoyf, but you could make a control deck with Goyf as your fatty and Snapcaster+Abrupt Decay/Maelstrom Pulse just sounds dirty

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

myDad posted:

I didn't think modern would be the place for BUG considering the dissonance between Delve creatures & Tarmogoyf, but you could make a control deck with Goyf as your fatty and Snapcaster+Abrupt Decay/Maelstrom Pulse just sounds dirty

I've seen one or two BUG lists pop up in recent months, this list Top-16'd a GP or something in the spring. Kinda want to build it since all I'd need are a few more Goyfs. Drop the Delvers and maybe the Grim Flayers for Pulse and extra countermagic?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I've seen one or two BUG lists pop up in recent months, this list Top-16'd a GP or something in the spring. Kinda want to build it since all I'd need are a few more Goyfs. Drop the Delvers and maybe the Grim Flayers for Pulse and extra countermagic?

There's a guy at one of my lgs that plays something similar. He runs architects of will to get the artifact in the gy for flayer and goyf and also runs hooting mandrils. Regularly goes 3-1 or 4-0.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

myDad posted:

I'm wondering if the new walking crucible could make for a nice ghost quarter lock in a bug deck

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can we splash white so that Knight of the Reliquary can play too? Or would it just be Tireless Tracker?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

So a 2-3 mana creature, 2 spells that end the game on resolution, a spell nobody plays, and a 2-for-1 instant speed spell in a deck with mana dorks. I'm really not seeing your point here; Jace is really bad against every one of those cards.

Cards that win games are cast on turn 4, like Jace

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mef989 posted:

There's a guy at one of my lgs that plays something similar. He runs architects of will to get the artifact in the gy for flayer and goyf and also runs hooting mandrils. Regularly goes 3-1 or 4-0.

There was a guy at my LGS running a list pretty similar to what I posted, he had a couple of Simic Charm in there that he said were extremely clutch. Would be interested to know about your guy's list if it has anything else interesting.

Star Man posted:

Can we splash white so that Knight of the Reliquary can play too? Or would it just be Tireless Tracker?

Monks and I were talking a couple pages ago about Abzan control lists with an Eldritch Evolution package, that could work in those colors.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Shadow of Doubt is spicy. Guy at my LGS brought BUG Delirium the other week but I think he needed more control elements cuz I drew with him post-board on Ad Nauseam (Death's Shadow secret tech :smuggo:) and watched him draw 2 more games before it was over. Lol if he had Jace he likely would have won a couple of those...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

myDad posted:

post-board on Ad Nauseam (Death's Shadow secret tech :smuggo:)

that's hot. Sylvan Library was so good in my legay death's shadow deck that i think i want two

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that's hot. Sylvan Library was so good in my legay death's shadow deck that i think i want two

The best part of the top ban is that death's shadow is now somehow playable in legacy too.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

There was a guy at my LGS running a list pretty similar to what I posted, he had a couple of Simic Charm in there that he said were extremely clutch. Would be interested to know about your guy's list if it has anything else interesting.

I'll ask next time I'm at that shop. I think that was about it though for his personal tech, otherwise I think it's just your typical BUG cards. He's played delver lists as long as I've known him and fatal push was the card that finally pushed BUG over the top to being viable for him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Fine Jace can stay gone

Instead free Stoneforge

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fine Jace can stay gone

Instead free Stoneforge

Unban jitte so I can play it as a 4 of in bogles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fine Jace can stay gone

Instead free Stoneforge

They can unban Stoneforge Mystic after I get my playset first.