Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Voyager I posted:

It's getting hard for me to follow politics because current events make me so angry, especially around the healthcare bill. There is sincere murder in my heart for Paul Ryan, and while I don't think it's wrong (if he has his way, he will knowingly be responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people), it's not really a place I want to be. Other than just tuning out for a bit, what are some strategies people have for coping with this level of anger?

drinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Voyager I posted:

It's getting hard for me to follow politics because current events make me so angry, especially around the healthcare bill. There is sincere murder in my heart for Paul Ryan, and while I don't think it's wrong (if he has his way, he will knowingly be responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people), it's not really a place I want to be. Other than just tuning out for a bit, what are some strategies people have for coping with this level of anger?

Get involved. Do something.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So these are the current no votes?

https://twitter.com/bykowicz/status/879391938209861632

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

There is no way Johnson and Cruz vote no.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

No. The ban is likely to be struck down at least in part because upholding even part of the stay requires a finding that the plaintiffs are likely to prevail on that part.

What I strongly suspect is happening, however, is that the case will be punted in October as moot because the 90 days have elapsed where they can do their idiot review so they don't have to uphold the ban but Roberts and Kennedy don't have to admit the President is a very, very bad liar and is lying to them.

I kind of doubt that. Various comments and statements from the administration have made clear the review is blatently pretextual and they will be endorcing a ban as stringent as they can get it on an "emrgency" basis. To commit to the punt metaphor it isn't even a pooch punt, more like a forward fumble.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I don't know about Johnson, but Cruz might just be enough of a contrarian, Paul-esque imbecile to do it. He's hosed the party before.

No, I do not feel comfortable putting my faith in Ted loving Cruz.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know about Johnson, but Cruz might just be enough of a contrarian, Paul-esque imbecile to do it. He's hosed the party before.

No, I do not feel comfortable putting my faith in Ted loving Cruz.

He just wants attention. He needs to vote Yes for his re election in 2018.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yes. There's also 2 unknowns in Capito and Collins I think.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

IANAL so I will refrain from interpreting this, but:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/879419751478505472

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

B B posted:

IANAL so I will refrain from interpreting this, but:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/879419751478505472

Moot due to it being past the 90 days of the band length right?

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Voyager I posted:

Exercise if you're fortunate enough to be healthy. Also, look for people places and ways you can put your feet on the ground in protest or in service. Look for meals on wheels and volunteer programs that dovetail with your skills and inclinations. Part of this right wing enfilade is built on atomizing society and breaking people with convergent interests apart. Resist that by standing with your fellows.

Failing that, the best last resort for terror and anomie is and remains a unitarian church social night. Meet and be with people, and keep your body healthy for the long night to come, and for the day of reckoning that will follow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here on page 999, let's pour one out for the man who would make a greater president than Trump, Herman Cain.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Targeting Johnson, Paul, and Lee are such hilarious wastes of cash. They aren't up until 2022.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boon posted:

Targeting Johnson, Paul, and Lee are such hilarious wastes of cash. They aren't up until 2022.

Good. Let his stupidPAC waste money.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They'd probably get better bang for their buck by just hiring spree shooters to go into highly blue areas and have at it.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Here on page 999, let's pour one out for the man who would make a greater president than Trump, Herman Cain.

A hundred year old, blind dog would be better.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Speaking of hilarious wastes of cash:

https://twitter.com/RobByersWV/status/879416665712336896

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Moot due to it being past the 90 days of the band length right?

Correct. The effective date of the EO was March 16.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I was making fun of a dude for believing the Seth Rich conspiracy. He told me about this story from last week:

http://www.newsweek.com/seth-rich-murder-report-profiling-project-627634

Seth Rich Update: DNC Staffer Murdered by Serial Killer, Not in Botched Robbery, Report Claims posted:

The report states that Rich’s July 2016 “death does not appear to be a random homicide” or “a robbery gone bad,” as police had suggested. Instead, the report says, the “death was more likely committed by a hired killer or serial murderer,” and that the killer is likely still at large.

quote:

“The person folks [should be] looking for and considering isn’t a robber who kills, but really is a killer, and maybe a killer that doesn’t rob,” says Kevin Doherty, a recent George Washington University graduate and one of the volunteers with the Profiling Project. “The fact that this person has gotten away with it shows a level of proficiency.”

quote:

the Profiling Project states in its methodology that it “was given no special access to any materials, evidence or persons, and due to case sensitivity, conducted only informal, limited interviews.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 26, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

Johnson is such a slimy weasel. gently caress my state for choosing him over fiengold twice.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even the liberal justices thought so too though. Which upsets me even if it may be the technically correct thing to do by the law.

This is why progressives lose over time in the face of a determined right wing swing. Liberal justices will generally honor precedent and at least look for actual statutory rationale to support their decisions. The Scalias, Gorsuch's, and Alito's will just openly backflip to achieve their desired result.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Your Taint posted:

Johnson is such a slimy weasel. gently caress my state for choosing him over fiengold twice.

That election result will never be not surprising and depressing but then again, you also elected Scott Walker 3 times.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

He just wants attention. He needs to vote Yes for his re election in 2018.

No he doesn't, not if he can spin it as his continuing crusade of True Conservatism vs THE CORRUPT PARTY ESTABLISHMENT AND DC FAT CATS. I said it earlier and it bears repeating, his whole career in the senate started by loving over the party establishment and dropping Dewhurst. The only thing that matters to him is maintaining that image of the true conservative underdog against Those Elites.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TGLT posted:

No he doesn't, not if he can spin it as his continuing crusade of True Conservatism vs THE CORRUPT PARTY ESTABLISHMENT AND DC FAT CATS. I said it earlier and it bears repeating, his whole career in the senate started by loving over the party establishment and dropping Dewhurst. The only thing that matters to him is maintaining that image of the true conservative underdog against Those Elites.

Then why has he been groveling before Trump since the primary ended? He knows he needs Dear Leader's fans to win in 18.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Chilichimp posted:

I was making fun of a dude for believing the Seth Rich conspiracy. He told me about this story from last week:

http://www.newsweek.com/seth-rich-murder-report-profiling-project-627634

When will this story die? Are we still going to be hearing about it in 50 years like some grassy knoll nonsense?

:fuckoff:

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 26, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rich's family needs to sue the poo poo out of some people.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

twice burned ice posted:

When will this story die? gently caress man.

I'm laughing so hard at this poo poo at this point.

There will always be some contingent of people (every likely republican voter) who believes Seth Rich was murdered by the DNC.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Cruz played his contrarian hardcore Tea Party role to get to where he is now. He absolutely will not be the roadblock that prevents the GOP from harming millions. He'll squeal about it enough to raise his profile but he'll bow down in a millisecond.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

twice burned ice posted:

When will this story die? Are we still going to be hearing about in 50 years like some grassy knoll nonsense?

Well, we're the country that still hasn't jailed Bill and Hillary for the murder of Vince Foster.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

twice burned ice posted:

When will this story die? Are we still going to be hearing about in 50 years like some grassy knoll nonsense?

I've watched 5 Seasons of Criminal Minds so I'm basically an FBI profiler and in my professional opinion...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Unzip and Attack posted:

Cruz played his contrarian hardcore Tea Party role to get to where he is now. He absolutely will not be the roadblock that prevents the GOP from harming millions. He'll squeal about it enough to raise his profile but he'll bow down in a millisecond.

On the other hand, he has consistently sabotaged GOP efforts because they weren't insane enough.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Then why has he been groveling before Trump since the primary ended? He knows he needs Dear Leader's fans to win in 18.

Trump and McConnell are not the same nor occupy the same position in the minds of conservatives, especially tea party types. Trump, in the minds of his supporters, does not represent the Republican establishment. McConnell does.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed he'll vote against it, but it absolutely isn't guaranteed he bends the knee. Not to some one like McConnell. Nor is there necessarily any reason to believe he would pay a price for rebellion. If Trump goes after him on this then maybe, but if McConnell does so what he's dealt with the GOP's leadership before.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
No Tick Tick Tick news yet?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Our own Brown Moses had some thoughts about the media today. There's a long thread after this tweet.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/879414110810591232

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

iSimian posted:

No Tick Tick Tick news yet?

Pretty sure it was nothing he made a tweet about potential collusion and that's about it

Sinteres posted:

Our own Brown Moses had some thoughts about the media today. There's a long thread after this tweet.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/879414110810591232

loving this. Take them to court if denied , don't take it sitting down

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TGLT posted:

Trump and McConnell are not the same nor occupy the same position in the minds of conservatives, especially tea party types. Trump, in the minds of his supporters, does not represent the Republican establishment. McConnell does.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed he'll vote against it, but it absolutely isn't guaranteed he bends the knee. Not to some one like McConnell. Nor is there necessarily any reason to believe he would pay a price for rebellion. If Trump goes after him on this then maybe, but if McConnell does so what he's dealt with the GOP's leadership before.

It's all about Trump voters who know who Mitch McConnell is aren't reachable. He needs Trumps fans in 2018.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully around an hour away from the wittes-bomb, I have my wittes-bong ready to hit to celebrate a hilarious scandal or mourn a disappointing flop.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

This is insane. The Mueller/Comey smear jobs too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How many nos do we need to kill the bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.2c7c7a158fb0

Seattle's $15 minimum wage is now descending into duelling studies.

• Locked thread