Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

that looks like exactly how you get elected as a leftist in america, assuming he gets through the primary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

UHD posted:

cantor getting primaried years back gives me hope

incumbency advantage still makes it an uphill climb but no one is immune to a primary challenge

i feel like being a house speaker is actually a disadvantage that outweighs this tho, because no one likes the house and they are the most prominent associate of its perceived failures

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dreylad posted:

that looks like exactly how you get elected as a leftist in america, assuming he gets through the primary

I eagerly look forward to the excuse peddling when he loses

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dreylad posted:

DNC already got their absolute boy tho

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yankovich is the human embodiment of a cheese curd

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Here, have some mostly good news from Joementum

https://twitter.com/lcmoser/status/879412973860737024

quote:

The largest number of Democratic congressional candidates in decades is putting into play dozens of House districts across the country, raising the possibility of a bitterly contested midterm election cycle next year as the party and its activists try to take advantage of President Trump’s unpopularity to win a majority in the House.

quote:

The battle over the path forward is raging across the country in dozens of races. Several districts that had seen only token candidates, or no candidates at all, in the past are suddenly packed with mostly first-time Democratic contenders with a broad variety of backgrounds and qualifications. Among them: veteran Jason Crow in Colorado, stem-cell researcher Hans Keir­stead in California, Democratic State Sen. Jennifer Wexton in Northern Virginia, former gubernatorial aide Gareth Rhodes in Upstate New York and former sneaker company executive Chrissy Houlahan in Pennsylvania.

Democrats can exceed their past performance in at least 70 House districts across the country controlled by Republicans, primarily because more Democrats registered to vote, said Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-N.M.), chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, in a memo to his colleagues last week.

Luján added that the party is not struggling to recruit candidates.

“In recent cycles, candidate recruitment meant dialing the phone and asking people to run. This cycle, it’s about answering the calls when they come in,” said Nathan Gonzales, editor of Inside Elections, a nonpartisan newsletter that tracks congressional races.

quote:

In Northern Virginia, at least seven Democrats are planning to run against Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-Va.) in a district that Hillary Clinton won by 10 points. At least seven are also running against Rep. John Faso (R-N.Y.), who represents most of New York’s Hudson Valley. At least four are considering runs against Rep. Daniel Donovan (R-N.Y.) on New York’s Staten Island, while least a dozen are mulling bids to replace retiring Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) of Miami.

quote:

Here in Dallas, first-time candidate Colin Allred, a former NFL linebacker for the Tennessee Titans and civil rights attorney, is running against Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Tex.) in a district where Clinton narrowly won last year and Sessions faced just token opposition. Allred has spent the past six weeks hosting “Coffee with Colin” at local coffee shops on Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons, which he says draw as many as 60 people.

Allred believes the contest will be shaped by economic concerns, health care and other “kitchen table issues.” That means focusing on solutions — not on lobbing attacks against Trump or Republicans.

“I’ve never gotten a question on Russia,” Allred said. “I get very few questions about Trump, period.” That’s because for many people here, Trump “is an ever present issue.”

He added: “People in this area that I talk to have come to terms with Trump and are now interested in the next step, and they want a vision for the future.”

quote:

In Dallas, Allred and Meier are running in the 32nd Congressional District, which stretches from city neighborhoods to the suburbs, combining mom-and-pop diners, Paneras, mostly white enclaves and other areas packed with Jewish, Latino, Muslim and black families.

quote:

Texas’s 7th District, a wealthy and diverse stretch of Houston suburbia, resembles the one where Ossoff lost in Georgia — and popped onto the Democrats’ 2018 map after Clinton beat Trump by 1.3 points.

Laura Moser, a progressive activist who launched the group Daily Action to stop Republicans and Trump, moved back to run in the 7th District from Washington this month — despite her view that she’s not the D.C. establishment’s dream candidate.

“They have very conventional ideas of who can win — business people who’ve been on this path for a long time,” Moser said in an interview at her new home. “I’d say this: I did not get any encouragement from the DCCC.”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Maine senate (and maybe house) are voting on to kill the Ranked Choice law tomorrow, due to their concerns about non-binding advisory
that it is potentially unconstitutional from the Maine Supreme Court judges (not an official ruling condemning it) due to it's issues with State positions (even though the other 80% of the positions affected are 100% constitutional).

My local senate rep is also the president of the senate and voted against an amendment that would've taken out the potentially unconstitutional parts without issue.

I hope the vote tomorrow doesn't kill it but I'm also hoping the government shuts down because the other thing up for approval this week is the budget which would remove another voter referendum from November about school taxes.

:smith:

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Jun 26, 2017

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

zegermans posted:

hahaha I forgot about Cantor

Imagine being him and home and thinking "I could have been speaker of the house right now"

For some reason I don't think (((Eric cantor))) would have won over the rank and file

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ex post facho posted:

? but he's not from wisconsin

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
zegermans is right this time:

ironstache will lose

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

see my earlier post about pessimism being endemic to some people, you can't be criticized if you never hold power

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here, have some mostly good news from Joementum

https://twitter.com/lcmoser/status/879412973860737024

I'm democrats candidate Jim crow

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

? but he's not from wisconsin

:ssh:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ex post facho posted:

incorrect, cheese curds are good

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

assume the worst will happen and you'll never be disappointed.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sorry, but does having a vision for the future solve racism?

Let's focus on the real issues at hand: why Russia was the biggest factor in the 2016 elections, and how we can improve the ACA.

#resist

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

I'm a stachebro

I feel like his glory is wasted on a district that would think allowing Paul Ryan to exist is a good idea

yeah its a pretty wealthy district, which is unfortunate. you dont get to choose which district you live in, tho *carpetbaggers burst through the door like kramer*

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

zegermans posted:

Ironstache would have won

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ex post facho posted:

I'm sorry, but does having a vision for the future solve racism?

Let's focus on the real issues at hand: why Russia was the biggest factor in the 2016 elections, and how we can improve the ACA.

#resist

Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future were good Thrawn books except the weirdass Luke marrying Mary Jane thing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WI-01 is not really that wealthy, it's almost perfectly median, waukesha is well-off but balanced down by janesville and racine/kenosha

the problem is it's extremely white, but someone like Bryce has a real shot of swaying a bunch of voters especially if the +15 D Trump backlash holds nationwide

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If Ironstache loses the primary I'll be mad and if he loses the general I'll be sad but either way I'm not giving up ~my principles~

I should add that I'm being serious here, the italics and ~s were added out of self-awareness not sarcasm

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

zegermans posted:

Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future were good Thrawn books except the weirdass Luke marrying Mary Jane thing

I haven't read either of those but that seemed like an obvious trajectory by the end of The Last Command.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
eric bauman releases a video statement on the need for universal healthcare in california by calling for it at the federal level only

https://www.facebook.com/cadems/videos/10154695011503317/

your most liberal party in the most liberal state everybody

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

u have a lot of practice with this so maybe you can help us out

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dreylad posted:

he's not going to have an issue in the primary

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
well, except that he'll probably be opposed by the dccc

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

weird dave yankovich

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the ads write themselves tbh

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The "Progressive Liberal" Is Maybe The Perfect Wrestling Heel

quote:

During a ring appearance earlier this year, Richards cut an in-ring promo in which he praised Hillary, and was interrupted by attendees chanting “Feel the Bern!” At about the 2:08 mark, some little kid yelled, “You better shut up,” always a mark of decent heat.

“You know what, I think Bernie Sanders would make a great Secretary of State,” Richards said before being jeered. Later on, he tried to persuade the crowd. “I want to exchange your bullets for bullet points. Bullet points of knowledge.” A few minutes later, Timmy Lou Retton came out to wrestle. (Richards lost. You know who would have won, though?)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yankovich is this lukewarm pastiche of not-quite-melted cheese, soft policy, focus-grouped sauerkraut, kosher beef, and no mustard

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ex post facho posted:

knowing them they'll tell him to appeal to republicans for the primary so I'm not sure if that will do anything. also "is backed by the org that lost both parts of congress" sounds like a good flame.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ex post facho posted:

yeah there's 0 chance the dccc goes against him. he's exactly the kind of candidate they want there. he's even got bill hyers (de blasio's cm) running his campaign.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jun 26, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anime was right posted:

i feel like being a house speaker is actually a disadvantage that outweighs this tho, because no one likes the house and they are the most prominent associate of its perceived failures

maybe thats just because we've had assholes for speakers. maybe they're attracted to the job like moths to flame

zegermans posted:

:420: luke became a hempknight

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lmao he got kicked out of the military because of a foot thing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol i should go to an indy show sometime, its a pity hoodslam is the closest

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

got any sevens posted:

:420: luke became a hempknight

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

zegermans is right this time:

ironstache will lose

That's not exactly a hot take for southeast Wisconsin

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

david yankovich was dishonorably discharged because of his glandular problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paul Ryan carries election over Yankovich by narrow margin after weeks of Trump tweets about the Wisconsin Foot Bitch

• Locked thread