Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
apparently it sounds like the front of the snes with the old controller ports is a fake flap that opens up for the CC ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm pretty certain that the SNES Classic is primarily being produced to get Nintendo's IP into the spotlight again. After how enormous the NES Classic was in the mainstream, there's way more value in getting people talking/reminiscing about Nintendo than turning a small profit on a novelty console. It'll dovetail nicely into NESflix next year and I'm betting they're hoping it'll move Switch units among people who weren't able to grab a NES/SNES Classic.

Is this what it's like to gaze into madness? Is this was HP Lovecraft was talking about?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, it's really a flap, nothing fake about it

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Hurry the gently caress up, amazon.

Be funny if they put up preorder to prime user only in the US.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
how does the snes mini cost less than a switch dock?

are they selling this at a loss?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Chairman Wao posted:

Is this what it's like to gaze into madness? Is this was HP Lovecraft was talking about?

at the mountains of madness is the second half of mario odyssey after the side effects of the cap take hold of mario.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Vikar Jerome posted:

at the mountains of madness is the second half of mario odyssey after the side effects of the cap take hold of mario.

And it just displays posts from this thread while spooky music plays.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just buy a real SNES you goobers, its better

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zaphod42 posted:

Just buy a real SNES you goobers, its better

What's the total price of a standard SNES and every one of those games, not CIB?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:lol: if you don't own a SNES

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Calaveron posted:

You can use the Switch Pro Controller on a PC/Steam right? What do I need to do that

Hit the connect button on the controller's top and tell the machine to pair to it. Nothing special

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RCarr posted:

:lol: if you don't own a SNES

I own a Super Famicom but only have SNES cartridges at home, so I get to just stare at them. Also, HD Retrovisions are still out-of-stock.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

how does the snes mini cost less than a switch dock?

are they selling this at a loss?

Cause it's just a little cpu and ports. The dock is expensive cause all USB C to hdmi docks are pricey for whatever reason. Even not Nintendo ones in Amazon are about 60

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Cause it's just a little cpu and ports. The dock is expensive cause all USB C to hdmi docks are pricey for whatever reason. Even not Nintendo ones in Amazon are about 60

no they arent

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When I was a kid I asked for a genesis instead of a snes because my friend had a genesis and I saw Mario world at a kiosk and thought it looked boring. My dad warned me to think hard about it because I couldn't have both. That's pretty handily my biggest regret of the 90's.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

When I was a kid I asked for a genesis instead of a snes because my friend had a genesis and I saw Mario world at a kiosk and thought it looked boring. My dad warned me to think hard about it because I couldn't have both. That's pretty handily my biggest regret of the 90's.

U dun hosed up hard

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

lol yeah I'm in the same exact boat. I really wish I would have gotten the SNES.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Takoluka posted:

What's the total price of a standard SNES and every one of those games, not CIB?

I paid $80 for Star Fox 2. Most of that price is that the donor cart needs to have an SFX2 chip in it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

are you not 22 then? because why is your dad buying you a snes when by the time you were old enough to talk you would have had the option of a an n64 or gamecube. /lanoir

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

no they arent

Sorry: from a brand I actually half recognize. Lol at buying the cheapest thing from some no name Chinese company.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

are you not 22 then? because why is your dad buying you a snes when by the time you were old enough to talk you would have had the option of a an n64 or gamecube. /lanoir

The quote is from a meltdown the poster bonzibuddy had when king k rool was not announced for smash bros. I'm older than 22 but the opinions about Donkey Kong part is true for me still.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

the 90s was a ruthless era where you convinced your friends to get the sega consoles so you could get the superior nintendo ones and be able to play both

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

The quote is from a meltdown the poster bonzibuddy had when king k rool was not announced for smash bros. I'm older than 22 but the opinions about Donkey Kong part is true for me still.

oh. lmao.

he shoulda been in tho.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tender Bender posted:

I got you beat: When I was a teenager I gave my SNES and collection of games to a girl I was hopelessly attracted to in hopes that she would see past my greasy nerd exterior and be My Girlfriend.

I regret many things in my life. That's easily top 5.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I traded my NES and entire library (SMB 1, 2, and 3, Skate or Die, RC Pro Am, plus a slew of other things) for a copy of Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Takoluka posted:

Earthbound alone is outrageous, but the rest is pretty dang reasonable.

Also SNES have RGB and s-video hookups by default (as long as its not a mini) so if you get a s-video or rgb to hdmi converter, you're golden on modern TVs and get a great signal.

The NES only had composite so having an HDMI NES made a bit more sense. (Both NES and SNES can be modded for HDMI but its expensive and not an easy install)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Verisimilidude posted:

I got you beat: When I was a teenager I gave my SNES and collection of games to a girl I was hopelessly attracted to in hopes that she would see past my greasy nerd exterior and be My Girlfriend.

At least it didn't weigh as much as a printer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I had a SNES and my best friend who lived in the same cul-de-sac had a Genesis. That was the way to go; get one and find a kid with the other. (And SNES was the better of the two :colbert:)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Toaster Beef posted:

I traded my NES and entire library (SMB 1, 2, and 3, Skate or Die, RC Pro Am, plus a slew of other things) for a copy of Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64.

good trade imo

did you also trade your snes + collection for WWF Attitude?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Sorry: from a brand I actually half recognize. Lol at buying the cheapest thing from some no name Chinese company.

https://nyko.com/collections/switch/products/portable-docking-kit-for-nintendo-switch

literally half the price of the switch dock :thunk:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Drunk Tomato posted:

good trade imo

did you also trade your snes + collection for WWF Attitude?

No I bought that straight-up

I'm not a bright man

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zaphod42 posted:

Also SNES have RGB and s-video hookups by default (as long as its not a mini) so if you get a s-video or rgb to hdmi converter, you're golden on modern TVs and get a great signal.

I just looked up pictures of the back of a Super Famicom, and not only does it not have an S-Video port, a RGB SCART setup looks like a gigantic pain.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

This is literally a plot point from Gone Home.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I thought this would be fun so I trawled eBay for recently sold listings and for the lowest quality (acceptable) to see. I didn't even look to the end of the first page on most of these just looked for the cheapest thing I could quickly find (and which wasn't an obvious bootleg)

Contra III - $30
Donkey Kong Country $15
EarthBound - $170 ~ $180 (one for $130 but that's right on the threshold of not knowing if it's a repro or not).
Final Fantasy III (6) - $30
F-ZERO - $8
Kirby Super Star - $31
Kirby's Dream Course - $12
Link to the Past - $24
Mega Man X - $20
Secret of Mana - $30
Star Fox - $10
Star Fox 2 - N/A
SFII Turbo: Hyper Fighting - $20
Castlevania IV - $25
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - $20
Super Mario Kart - $20
Super Mario RPG - $30
Super Mario World - $10
Super Metroid $40
Super Punch-Out - $15
Yoshi's Island - $20

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I had a SNES and my best friend who lived in the same cul-de-sac had a Genesis. That was the way to go; get one and find a kid with the other. (And SNES was the better of the two :colbert:)

AlphaKeny1 posted:

the 90s was a ruthless era where you convinced your friends to get the sega consoles so you could get the superior nintendo ones and be able to play both

Yeah, I moved and my friend across the new street had a snes and I'd go over every day to play Dkc2 and link to the past and poo poo. I hated my genesis I ended up mostly playing my NES and borrowing Nintendo Power from the school library and reading about all the cool games I couldn't have.

Verisimilidude posted:

Did she say yes?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I just looked up pictures of the back of a Super Famicom, and not only does it not have an S-Video port, a RGB SCART setup looks like a gigantic pain.

:ssh: Consoles don't have ports for all the various video outputs. They overload them all into a multi-out, which you can get various cables that go from multi-out to AV, S-Video or RGB.

The ONLY console I've ever heard of having more than one video output was the FIRST ORIGINAL MODEL PS1 ONLY, even later PS1s did not and used a multi-out. (and even then, it was only composite that had their own output plugs)

Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation, Dreamcast, everybody uses multi-out dude.

RGB SCART is literally this simple:

https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-Sca...nes+scart+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Scart-1080P-Converter-Scaler-Images/dp/B01DLZ8K0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498507288&sr=8-1&keywords=scart+rgb+to+hdmi

It seems bad but really its extremely painless. The picture quality is better if you use a XRGB Mini or get a TV monitor that takes RGB native, but just a simple RGB -> HDMI converter is pretty dang fantastic.

Getting RGB from other consoles is a pain, but SNES is easy :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 26, 2017

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

LethalGeek posted:

Lol at thinking Nintendo is your friend and not a company who just wants to make money off you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Chairman Wao posted:

Lol at thinking Nintendo is your friend and not a company who just wants to make money off you.

But it has the Nintendo Seal of Quality! They wouldn't let them print that on just anything, you know!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm hype for SNES mini. I have an SNES that still works, but I didn't own all the games that will be installed. I'm sad at the lack of brawlers like Final Fight and classics like Chrono Trigger, but $80 seems reasonable for a very solid collection.

Just hope I can find the drat thing. I preordered it from the Amazon UK site referenced a few pages ago, but I'd really love a US version for nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tender Bender posted:

Did she say yes?

No :smith:

• Locked thread