Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

This is probably the best approach they could have taken. It would have been nice of GW to include changes to points values and additional allegiance special rules as a free PDF, but given that regular AoS players are going to want the new content anyway, it's unlikely that someone with the 2016 edition isn't going to buy the 2017 edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Welp, I guess they're keeping on top of the leaks.

I was assembling a box of the Ironjawz at lunch, and noticed how much better the Brutes look without that "cage" front armor:

VS.

Without the armor, he's got so much more character.

Also, the peg-leg is an option - there should be no option. Peg-legs 4 lyfe.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Welp, I guess they're keeping on top of the leaks.

I was assembling a box of the Ironjawz at lunch, and noticed how much better the Brutes look without that "cage" front armor:

VS.

Without the armor, he's got so much more character.

Also, the peg-leg is an option - there should be no option. Peg-legs 4 lyfe.

All you need is some pirate hats and you're in business.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

All you need is some pirate hats and you're in business.

Yarr.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I like all of these except the beard. Orks with hair is...unsettling.

Paint it like yarn and it's solid.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm up to 1000 points now. I bought 8 warriors with halberds off ebay and converted a bunch more out of leftover knight lances and bits of sprue. Also picked up a chaos lord and a unit of 10 plaguebearers. Probably going to get some games in with it tomorrow or wednesday.

Chaos Lord
Sorcerer Lord

20 warriors with halberds
10 plaguebearers
5 knights
Gorebeast chariot

Going to eventually get the plaguebearers up to a 20 or 30 model unit.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

Paint it like yarn and it's solid.

Call me Squigbeard. Sum years ago—nevva mind how long presisley, ya git —'avin' little or no teef in my purse, and nuffink partikular to interest me on shore, I finked I would sail about a little and see da watery part of da world...

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
So glad they are just releasing allegiance abilities for old armies in the new book, will help catch up the power levels a lot.

Well, assuming that a lot of the more abusive units go up in points

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Black_Nexus posted:

So glad they are just releasing allegiance abilities for old armies in the new book, will help catch up the power levels a lot.

Well, assuming that a lot of the more abusive units go up in points

The fact that Slaaneshi cults are in there probably means no Slaaneshi army book any time soon.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GreenMarine posted:

The fact that Slaaneshi cults are in there probably means no Slaaneshi army book any time soon.

TBF it's still more than anyone expected for Slaanesh.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Looking forward to brayherds allegiance so I actually lose something from including Minotaur in my beastmen :negative:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

GreenMarine posted:

I think nurgle is coming next, I don't think they know what to do with Slannesh

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I think the problem is that both fans and the creators have latched too hard onto the 'lol, sex' aspect of Slaanesh. There's a million things to do with the setup they have now and the stuff they've established as Slaanesh's ballgame (striving for unobtainable perfection, obsession, creepy rear end new-wave cenobyte aesthetic).

They could easily wring a Summer Campaign or Realmgate Wars style book series out of Slaanesh being missing.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm painting up some chaos knights to try and get my 500 done by the start of the escalation league next week.

I can't get over how gorgeous these sculpts are, they make my warmachine stuff look like dogshit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

Good thing those are hair squigs then.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
God help me, I just bought two boxes of the "Start Collecting" Ironjawz. I put a bid of $60 each, and it was immediately accepted.

I don't even know if there is a local AoS community... :ohdear:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If there isn't, you just got two boxes of Snakebite Boyz.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

God help me, I just bought two boxes of the "Start Collecting" Ironjawz. I put a bid of $60 each, and it was immediately accepted.

I don't even know if there is a local AoS community... :ohdear:

There is always a community for rad Orks. These models were some of the first things they released that actually made me consider playing AoS.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Ironjawz definitely got me to play age of Sigmar

I'm not sure if I've linked this guy before but it's my megaboss

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I almost bought one yesterday - it's an awesome model. But $40? Yeesh.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

berzerkmonkey posted:

I almost bought one yesterday - it's an awesome model. But $40? Yeesh.

Yeah it's pretty insane.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Had my first 1k points games.

Used this list for both

Chaos lord
Sorcerer lord
20 warriors with halberds
10 plaguebearers
5 knights
Gorebeast chariot

First was against a friends skaven list he's working on for the league.

Arch warlock
Warlord
Warlock engineer
20 clanrats
20 clanrats
20 stormvermin
Ratling gun
Warpfire thrower

Was a pretty close game. My knights charged a unit of clanrats and ratling gun on the flank, took 3 or 4 rounds to kill them and they lost 4 models because of all the mortal wounds being thrown around through spells.

Chariot was on the other flank, charged the warpflame and managed 2 wounds before being killed by mortal wounds.

In the middle my warriors and plaguebearers dealt with clanrats and stormvermin. Ended up losing the middle eventually though when I forgot to inspiring presence the warriors and I rolled a 6, losing 7 models. I killed everything but the heroes, which killed my lord with spells and finished off my 5 warriors, 5 plague bearers, knight, and sorcerer

Second game he brought his competitive list and it wasn't a contest, everything got butchered by shooting and mortal wounds, I killed 1 stormfiend and put 2 wounds on a cannon with my knights.

Arch warlock
Stormfiends
Acolytes
Ratling gun
Warpfire thrower
Lightning cannon
Lightning cannon

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

chutche2 posted:

Arch warlock
Warlord
Warlock engineer
20 clanrats
20 clanrats
20 stormvermin
Ratling gun
Warpfire thrower

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my IoB Skaven. Good to see that it won't get completely rolled.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my IoB Skaven. Good to see that it won't get completely rolled.

I played against almost the exact same Skaven list recently. I used:

Lord Celestant
Lord Veritant
5 Decimators
5 Judicators
5 Judicators
3 Palladors

The Decimators are strong, but it was the Judicators that did a lot of work while sitting the two back field objectives. Between firing and battleshock they swept both clanrat squads in one round. The Decimators were teleported forward by the veritant and charged the stormvermin, wiping them. The palladors used their aetheric movement to take a back objective.

Judicators die quickly in melee, but their shooting is brutal against rats.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah my opponent was good at making sure inspiring was put exactly where it was needed to keep clanrats from running and gum up my line.

My knights were using glaives which give them -1 rend and 2 damage when charging. Should I have them fall back after? I felt like falling back 10 inches wasn't enough to accomplish much, they'd just get charged again unless I got a double turn.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I play to the double turn, both to take advantage of it and defend against it. I try to look for plays that will give me a big advantage if I roll the double and same for my opponent. Teleporting heavy infantry isn't that great on a single turn because of the need for a 9 inch charge, but is amazing if you make a double turn. Same for withdraw, which is ok on a single turn but really strong on a double.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, that's good advice. Not used to the turn structure yet. Maybe it'd be worth keeping some daemons in reserve to try and summon then charge if I have a chance at a double turn. Herald of nurgle would probably do well at that

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did a Bone Giant/Necrolith Colossus:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

That is amazing m8

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Played a 1k game against Tzzentch mortal wound spam. He had caster on disc, another caster hero, some hero with a scroll, twenty Tzaangors, ten Pink horrors and a unit of Skyfires. First game against them with my angry trees, I had played them before with elves and got skullfucked.

I figured I was in for another reaming when he got turn one, nuked my Wych with unstoppable mortal wounds using Skyfires and destiny dice, and then put nine more wounds on to my Ancient using more of the same. He then hit first go on turn two and destroyed my Dryads with charging Tzaangors.

However, I was still learning this Army and didn't give credit to the power of angry loving trees. All the spells and charges were pooping mortal wounds onto units and Heroes and by the bottom of turn two everything he had was hurt. I had hunters with bows in a tower, my Ancient, and a unit of tree Revenants left.

Spell casting in my phases wrecked him, his Tzaangors were close to a wood and I had my Ancient within 6" so every spell cast was eating them alive. Awaken The Woods alone killed both his general, another hero and at least ten Tzaangors and horrors.

End of the game my Ancient had healed back all but four wounds and I still had two hunters on full wounds. Tabled him in turn five.

Angry trees are real assholes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

Played a 1k game against Tzzentch mortal wound spam. He had caster on disc, another caster hero, some hero with a scroll, twenty Tzaangors, ten Pink horrors and a unit of Skyfires. First game against them with my angry trees, I had played them before with elves and got skullfucked.

I figured I was in for another reaming when he got turn one, nuked my Wych with unstoppable mortal wounds using Skyfires and destiny dice, and then put nine more wounds on to my Ancient using more of the same. He then hit first go on turn two and destroyed my Dryads with charging Tzaangors.

However, I was still learning this Army and didn't give credit to the power of angry loving trees. All the spells and charges were pooping mortal wounds onto units and Heroes and by the bottom of turn two everything he had was hurt. I had hunters with bows in a tower, my Ancient, and a unit of tree Revenants left.

Spell casting in my phases wrecked him, his Tzaangors were close to a wood and I had my Ancient within 6" so every spell cast was eating them alive. Awaken The Woods alone killed both his general, another hero and at least ten Tzaangors and horrors.

End of the game my Ancient had healed back all but four wounds and I still had two hunters on full wounds. Tabled him in turn five.

Angry trees are real assholes.

Hell yeah, Wyldwoods are the poo poo. Legit bugs me when I see Sylveneth armies not use them, not even the free set you get as a faction bonus.

I've seen them take down Archaon, Fateweaver, countless smaller wizards and units that tried their luck charging my Treeple hidden in them. Don't gently caress with the trees.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It was an ambush mission and so I plonked them right in the middle knowing he had to deploy in the center. He hid in them thinking the cover save would help...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Good lord, putting the plastic Black Orcs/Ardboys together is a pain in the rear end. The "tongue and groove" system they have is terrible and isn't deep enough to work, and certain legs won't work on certain bodies, but there isn't any way to tell until you're gluing them on. You can certainly see the difference between them and the newer Brute models - those things were a pleasure to assemble.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good lord, putting the plastic Black Orcs/Ardboys together is a pain in the rear end. The "tongue and groove" system they have is terrible and isn't deep enough to work, and certain legs won't work on certain bodies, but there isn't any way to tell until you're gluing them on. You can certainly see the difference between them and the newer Brute models - those things were a pleasure to assemble.

The ardboys are like 8 years old or so I think compared to a brand new kit

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Black_Nexus posted:

The ardboys are like 8 years old or so I think compared to a brand new kit

Yeah, I know. It's just that having the two side-by-side is a real eye-opener.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I know. It's just that having the two side-by-side is a real eye-opener.

The new kits for ironjaws are just amazing. So easy to assemble and look so good

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Some army shots from a tournament I was just at, there was a nurgle themed table so I stole it for pictures

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
General's Handbook 2 announced for August.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/414836972244620/

Also :allears: the Community Team must have a blast coming up with stuff like this.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

General's Handbook 2 announced for August.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/414836972244620/

Also :allears: the Community Team must have a blast coming up with stuff like this.

I adore this so much. haha. So what can we look forward to with the 2nd handbook? I'm sure new battle plans, but also updated point costs, correct?

I ask because I just picked up a small Ironjawz force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

I adore this so much. haha. So what can we look forward to with the 2nd handbook? I'm sure new battle plans, but also updated point costs, correct?

I ask because I just picked up a small Ironjawz force.

New points costs, new missions, new relics and other toys.

• Locked thread