Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wicked. I hope they patch in a NG+.

I wanna go full on Typhon powers (I'm doing a no Typhon powers run too) and just murder everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sho complained about a bunch of humans dying, even though I made sure to stun everyone and only killed Luka. I think she said the same thing regardless of which end solution I chose.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Sho complained about a bunch of humans dying, even though I made sure to stun everyone and only killed Luka. I think she said the same thing regardless of which end solution I chose.

It's pretty difficult to make sure evryone survives. A lot of mind-controlled people end up wandering around into fires or other hazards and die off-screen. Happens a lot in the crew quarters area since there's a lot of them there.

edit: You need to basically loving book it into the gym as soon as you load into the crew quarters and take out everyone asap before the above thing happens, took me like 4 or 5 reloads when i did my "save everyone" run

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That dialogue is just bugged, I got it when I got the save everyone achievement and confirmed that nobody died to hazards or anything.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palpek posted:

I'm actually disappointed there was not even an easter egg hinting to the previous game. Jeez one email mentioning Tony woudln't kill them.

I was hoping for a Typhon named Tommy.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I was so worried about the possessed humans in crew quarters it took me a few reloads to make sure I knocked them out instead of their heads popping.

And then they all turn up dead later on because the Typhon run around areas you've "cleared". :mad:

And then I read that people who got the achievement had crew members die with their head popping so my efforts were wasted even more.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

myDad posted:

This game looks tight, didn't realize it was made by Arkane until today so I ordered a copy.

The first one a few years ago left a bad taste in my mouth, but those devs are top-notch!

this_is_why_prey_sold_poorly.txt

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Palpek posted:

I'm actually disappointed there was not even an easter egg hinting to the previous game. Jeez one email mentioning Tony woudln't kill them.

How about Art Bell? Huh? Art Bell? Anybody remember Art Bell?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

the black husserl posted:

this_is_why_prey_sold_poorly.txt

I really think that calling the game "Prey" was a big mistake.
I can understand slapping the branding of a good thing onto a bad game, but other way around?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The original Prey was well received back when it came out, though.
As for it using the same name, I'd assume it was Zenimax/Bethesda trying to appease shareholders more than anything since they bought the IP years ago after all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Reading/listening to earlier previews, on top of the trauma system (crippled limbs/burns) weapons originally degraded or had some way of breaking, and the Repair skill would let you fix them. I always felt Repair was somewhat underrepresented even if it's still useful. The skill balance in general is a bit off IMO, maybe because it was designed w/ the trauma system in mind.

Breakable weapons would conceivably also give a lot more purpose to weapon schematics.

This actually explains a lot. I was pretty confused as to why I kept finding schematics for weapons long after the game had started placing the weapons themselves in plain sight.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prey was on the summer sales top sellers the last two days which spurred a little hope for me that the game might continue to sell well and Zenimax would make more games like this; it's still in the top 25 but dropping fast, disappointingly. At least Dishonored 2 is well-represented on there.

Also, speaking of the cook, does anyone know who he's supposed to be? I figured out pretty fast my first time he wasn't who he was saying he was thanks to the audio log with the real cook's completely different voice, but are there any hints to which crew member the fake cook actually is?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

he's an escaped "volunteer."

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

GUI posted:

As for it using the same name, I'd assume it was Zenimax/Bethesda trying to appease shareholders more than anything since they bought the IP years ago after all.

That makes sense. Anyway excited to try it, should arrive here in a couple days & I'll pop in if I have any questions.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digirat posted:

he's an escaped "volunteer."

Oh, now I feel really silly. The accent should have been a giveaway.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I didn't buy Prey until EB Games was price matching the PS Store Days of Play sale.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 26, 2017

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Gadzuko posted:

That dialogue is just bugged, I got it when I got the save everyone achievement and confirmed that nobody died to hazards or anything.

I went out of my way to save the mindcontrolled dudes and the ending dialogue reflected that. So yeah it must be bugged right now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there anything of note during spacewalks other than various main or side mission objectives? If there is going to be on consistent trend in my playthroughs it'll be me fastforwarding every 0-g area I can.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Depends on what you mean to be "Of note." Just like the rest of the station there are dead bodies and crates to loot, enemies to fight, and a number of quests, though of the four three quests I can think of that send you outside none of them start there. There are also a number of neat things to find that are referenced in audio logs that aren't a specific part of anything else, like the dead guy on the transtar billboard orbiting the station

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's the double-jump chip you can't get anywhere else, and there's early access to a Q-beam if you know where it is.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I always took the multiple schematics to be for the people that are pretty oblivious in video games. Throw a bunch of weapons everywhere, then to keep ammo / recycling under control a bit, throw some schematics in too. Not perfect, but further hedges against a player going through an entire game without seeing one or more of the guns.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ugh, Arboretum to GUTS and again I lose the tracking of someone. I'm not going to look for Josh Dalton without it!! :argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh dude that's not a bug the quest is literally just programmed to break the objective arrow when you get to the zone unless you have activated his tracking bracelet.

I'm on my 2nd play through and the double-jump boost chip is a hilarious game changer and definitely perfectly compliments the Slow Glide Chip and the mobility neuromods. Oh Prey, my EZ GOTY

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I activated his tracking bracelet otherwise I couldn't have gotten to the point of looking for him in GUTS. Anyone else I mark on a security computer will lose the marker if I transition from area to area, it seems to be a console bug only.

Anyway, I used a guide to find him.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I suspect the weapon blueprints are mostly a holdover from the weapon degradation system, but it did occur to me that if I had some un-upgraded weapons taking up space in my inventory, I could recycle them and then just re-create them if I ever needed them again, for a net cost of not too many materials.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

I was so worried about the possessed humans in crew quarters it took me a few reloads to make sure I knocked them out instead of their heads popping.

And then they all turn up dead later on because the Typhon run around areas you've "cleared". :mad:

And then I read that people who got the achievement had crew members die with their head popping so my efforts were wasted even more.

With the Telepaths I usually just ignore the mind controlled humans, sneak up to the Typhon, pop combat focus and unload with the shotgun. Once the Telepath is dead all the humans just immediately pass out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh dude that's not a bug the quest is literally just programmed to break the objective arrow when you get to the zone unless you have activated his tracking bracelet.

I'm on my 2nd play through and the double-jump boost chip is a hilarious game changer and definitely perfectly compliments the Slow Glide Chip and the mobility neuromods. Oh Prey, my EZ GOTY

Can't believe I missed double jump in my first run, it was amazing in Dishonored and it would be amazing here. Guess I know what I have to find starting next time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there an upgrade somewhere that doubles the null-gravity movement speed?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes. It says it boosts glide speed (which it does), but it also greatly boosts thrust speed in zero-g.
Remember to hold down the sprint key to increase your maximum velocity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think that also increases the amount you can glide (how long you have before the bar runs out).

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Just finished this after picking it up on the sale. Man, it's heartbreaking hearing that it seems to have flopped so hard. This is exactly the kind of game there should be more of. I mean, despite dragging a little bit in the gameplay department towards the end, and having a few broken triggers, the game:

-Has choices that actually resonate and are properly contextualized.
-Has empathy as a core story concept
-Has dialog and writing that doesn't read like garbage trash for idiots
-Has a well-realized world
-Has some very tense moments
-Has some well-realized gameplay systems

It's funny how much a contrast this game has with Bioshock Infinite, Prey is significantly better in pretty much every respect, especially at being a -Shock game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sardonik posted:

It's funny how much a contrast this game has with Bioshock Infinite, Prey is significantly better in pretty much every respect, especially at being a -Shock game.

Bu bu but quantam mechanics and waifus?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BioShock infinite has better fights

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sardonik posted:

As much as I hate bioshock infinite it does not have worse combat than this game by any standard.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All the bioshock games, especially 2 and infinite, are much better shooters than prey. However that's largely all they are, while prey gives you a huge toolbox and shooting dudes is just one option.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^^ efb :argh:

Gaius Marius posted:

BioShock infinite has better fights

Prey is much less of a straight-up shooter than Bioshock Infinite. By design you're worse at killing for most of your time in Prey.

It's apples and oranges.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

ditty bout my clitty posted:

As much as I hate bioshock infinite it does not have worse combat than this game by any standard.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. The combat abilities in Prey are more varied than Infinite, most of the Vigors boiled down to some kind of AOE or turret. Nothing feels like too much of an unflinching bullet sponge in Prey and there's plenty of ways to disable enemies. With all the tools at your disposal, combat feels a lot more meaningful, rather than merely 'shoot the dudes'. Also Bioshock Infinite's guns were about as lame as I've ever seen in a game and had no punch to them at all. I will say infinite's skyhook stuff was nicer than flying around in the G.U.T.S, but yeah, I definitely got a lot more out of Prey.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Sardonik posted:

I know this is subjective but this is so far from the truth in my view. Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite poo poo all over this game. From Atmosphere, Story, World Building, Soundtrack, character building, you name it. I would really like to know how Arkane studios gets such a good rep because all three of their latest have bored me to absolute tears.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

I know this is subjective but this is so far from the truth in my view. Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite poo poo all over this game. From Atmosphere, Story, World Building, Soundtrack, character building, you name it. I would really like to know how Arkane studios gets such a good rep because all three of their latest have bored me to absolute tears.

This is the first AAA game in years that I couldn't even bear to finish out of sheer boredom. Oh no a scary shadow, hope I have enough ammo to get by until i meet the next scary shadow and have to run back to the recyclotron. Also have a not-headcrab that turns into a mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Making all the enemies non description shadow guys who all teleport will nilly. And then giving you three grenades that all do the same thing to certain enemies was a very poor decision. Like all the other shock games had good enemy variety and this game totally poo poo the bed on that