Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

They always point to Japan. Though of course you can always point to Indonesia, one of the most diverse countries in the world with about an equivalent homicide rate.

The problem with comparing the US to Japan is the thing they're concerned about (terrorism and Muslims loving their wives) is Japan hasn't been imperialist for over 70 years and the United States well you know how it goes.

We wouldn't have literally any of the "problems" we do if we'd just keep our military dick out of every hole we can stick it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Homogeniety vs heterogeneity is entirely about the arbitrary borders you want to draw around populations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So anyways this thing in D.C. supposedly looks like a real shitshow

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Anime keeps the population pacified, but not enough anime turns people into alt-right fuckwits

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So anyways this thing in D.C. supposedly looks like a real shitshow

Unicorn Riot is on the scene, at the DC Speakout Against Fascism.

http://www.unicornriot.ninja/?p=16496

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

logikv9 posted:

Anime keeps the population pacified, but not enough anime turns people into alt-right fuckwits

not enough or too much

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Main thing is that they're unhappy on a really deep, existential level and they live in a diverse society; so they look to a warm and fuzzy, utopian-like homogenous society as an answer to their spiritual impoverishment. But it's not like Japanese people are all happy (quite the opposite) and get along with each other because the strangers on the street also happen to be Japanese.

some of them honestly probaly think it will be like some magical anime/manga poo poo. instead of just being boring everyday life but where if you are diffrent you will either be kept out of public sight or mocked or become some neet shut in obsessed with _________ (insert consumer poo poo here)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Qu Appelle posted:

Unicorn Riot is on the scene, at the DC Speakout Against Fascism.

http://www.unicornriot.ninja/?p=16496
There are more women at the antifa one.

Fucken owned, by alt-right standards

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
But that's like saying the sky is blue.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

These guys are on the downlow.

E:

Here's a stream of the Nazi rally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s3S2Q5W-A4

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Spencer rally:

Cernovich rally:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

On the ground it sounds like antifas has focused on the Spencer rally. They are growing in number and things could pop off soon.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Montasque posted:

Spencer rally:

Cernovich rally:

everyone who smokes a pipe is an rear end in a top hat

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
all i see is frogs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Daily Stormer donations have slowed down quite a bit. Anglin hit $150,000 in early June and it's gone up $5k since then. Still nothing in Montana courts from Anglin. Clock is ticking tik tok tik tok tik tok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Change in Antifa tactics in D.C. Sunday:

quote:

A coalition of allied anti-fascist organizations in DC had been following all of the above events closely, and sought to develop a unified response to the white nationalists’ false promotion of “free speech.” While the far-right split was anticipated to a certain degree, thanks to our dedicated intelligence resources, our response as originally planned was not dependent on confronting them directly from the beginning, instead relying on community engagement and acting as allies to marginalized peoples that are directly threatened by fascist ideology and state repression, and empowering those people to take the lead.

To that end, it is important, and ultimately more impactful to target the issues of police violence and state repression brutalizing our communities. Police have murdered 461 people so far in 2017. Here in D.C., activists who exercised their right to protest Donald Trump’s inaugurations are facing decades in prison due to outrageous charges. Not only that, law enforcement and the state have time and again been unwilling to fight the rising fascist movement. In fact, the Trump administration has just announced narrowing the focus of Homeland Security’s counterterrorism programs to Islamic extremism while slashing federal funding for programs that countered white supremacist extremism. We intended from the start to show the communities of DC that the police, the state, and political leaders share a common goal – to protect capital, and in doing so, maintaining various forms of systemic oppression, including racism and classism.

More than that, we intended to highlight that the so-called “free speech advocates” who ally themselves with the police and the state actually have no interest in ensuring either, except where it benefits the right-wing’s goals. This led to the organizing of a Speak Out! Against Fascism event on Sunday, June 25th outside the Metro Police Headquarters in DC.

We recognize the importance of engaging the community in antifascist struggles. Antifascist action is, after all, a matter of utmost importance to the marginalized communities directly threatened by ethnonationalism and state violence–and this resistance requires prioritizing engagement with these communities. Building genuine relationships based on shared struggles grows a lasting anti-fascist movement–one that understands the strategic value of physical confrontation, and also maintains a long-term revolutionary vision. Our efforts to engage mainstream media to this end were met with predictable mainstream media interest in bloody conflict, a la Berkeley, CA, which our intelligence confirmed to be the objective of the more overtly violent fascists bottom-lining the rally originally, including the Proud Boys and noted “Based Stickman” Kyle Chapman.

https://itsgoingdown.org/update-antifa-dc-splitting-right/

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Jun 25, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Change in Antifa tactics in D.C. Sunday:

tldr they're doing a good enough job taking themselves out

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-mA2G7yXMU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"we had antifa!" lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

This man is clearly the intellectual titan that will lead America into the future

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How old is that dude on the left? 40? And still putting in blonde hair dye? lool.

In other news a reporter that was arrested during the DC riots was indicted and could face 70 years. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/06/reporters-face-70-years-prison-anti-trump-march-170615083432300.html

Makes me wonder how screwed the other shmucks are since they don't have a news org trying to protect them.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

the comments are pretty great

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/879131615376625664

spronkles
Jun 2, 2013

Bless their hearts.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My new least favorite thing about the alt-right is the weird sort of business casual that half of them have adopted, with button-ups tucked into their khakis. Like dressing like you have a job is some sort of political statement. Like dressing like you have a job fools anyone into thinking you do. We all know you bought that get up at Walmart 30 mins before the rally.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It's mostly the rebranded neo-Nazis that do that in an attempt to make themselves look respectable. They only recently relized that dressing up in SS cosplay and wearing shirts with big swastikas on them were off putting to normal people.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I'm always confused as to why people can walk out in public with a literal reskinned nazi flag and not get stabbed with a bayoneted garand or mosin nagant

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zegermans posted:

I'm always confused as to why people can walk out in public with a literal reskinned nazi flag and not get stabbed with a bayoneted garand or mosin nagant

The picture was taken in America in 2017

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

At what point does a symbol racists are using to try to "trigger SJWs" go from being ironically used to just a symbol of white supremacism

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Deified Data posted:

My new least favorite thing about the alt-right is the weird sort of business casual that half of them have adopted, with button-ups tucked into their khakis. Like dressing like you have a job is some sort of political statement. Like dressing like you have a job fools anyone into thinking you do. We all know you bought that get up at Walmart 30 mins before the rally.

Anything that makes suits less popular is good. gently caress suits. If the Nazis manage to steal them from the 1% we're all better off.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

zegermans posted:

At what point does a symbol racists are using to try to "trigger SJWs" go from being ironically used to just a symbol of white supremacism

Performic irony isn't real, it's just someone doing a thing, so immediately

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Performic irony isn't real, it's just someone doing a thing, so immediately

I feel like even itt a few months back people actively mocked associating the OK sign with white supremacy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think that laughing at an attempt to claim the okay sign, which is recognized as a thing, is different than making up a new thing or trying to reclaim an old thing that has fallen out of use. So the Kekistani flag stuff is recognized as a threat/issue because it's a Nazi thing, the okay sign is basically universal so when they try to claim it it's obvious that they'll fail.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Relevant Tangent posted:

Anything that makes suits less popular is good. gently caress suits. If the Nazis manage to steal them from the 1% we're all better off.

gently caress YoU buddy, if you don't look good in a suit you should just give up entirety

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Best Giraffe posted:

gently caress YoU buddy, if you don't look good in a suit you should just give up entirety

the thing about suits is they anyone can look good in one of they spring for tailoring, but simultaneously, even the most photogenic person in the world will be laid low by a cheap suit

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
david byrne's big suit

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

zegermans posted:

I feel like even itt a few months back people actively mocked associating the OK sign with white supremacy

At the start, I remember some photos of Putin that 4chan cooked up with a bunch of explanatory text about how everything he was doing was subtle signalling, when he was just giving a speech and making the "OK" sign with his hand. At that point, mocking it was appropriate because they were creating something out of whole cloth to try to get news outlets to write about how it's the hot new white supremacist sign.

Then a bunch of literal white supremacists started using it as a sign. It doesn't matter where it crossed from ironic joke to in-group signalling or whatever, but looking back before it crossed that line, it was right to say that it was stupid to associate the two. However, if I now see a guy holding up a glass of milk and making the OK sign, I don't think "man, that guy really thinks the milk is good".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zegermans posted:

some things are just too pitiful to beat up

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Best Giraffe posted:

looking good in a suit is child's play. looking good in jeans and a t-shirt is a much more worthy challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

zegermans posted:

*looks out the front window*
"...the Thompson boy, you know, from down the block, well, he's marching up and down the sidewalk with that weird green Nazi flag again. This time he's also got a bike helmet on and a cape made out of a bedsheet."
*accidentally makes eye contact, gives a half-hearted wave*
"Now he just made the cook's OK sign at me. I told you something's not right with that boy."
*continues to stare out the window with a look of concern.*