Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is actually a shockingly bad CBO score, way worse than expected. A lot of people assumed that the Senate would be specifically structuring their bill with an eye to looking significantly better than the House. This ... does not. The only way it could have been more of a disaster is if they'd somehow hit 24 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
DIE! DIE! DIE!

Edgy Overwatch character and GOP healthcare bill.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

The only way it could have been more of a disaster is if they'd somehow hit 24 million.

It's still early, give them time. The high score is theirs for the taking.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

like, for example, i feel like senator collins was not expecting it to come in at 20 million or above when she said this:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/877999611767439360

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

evilweasel posted:

This is actually a shockingly bad CBO score, way worse than expected. A lot of people assumed that the Senate would be specifically structuring their bill with an eye to looking significantly better than the House. This ... does not. The only way it could have been more of a disaster is if they'd somehow hit 24 million.

https://twitter.com/KristerJohnson/status/879436928440868868

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Otoh they got quite a bit more savings while only kicking one million more off health insurance!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
It front loads people losing their insurance, which as a policy is super :psyduck:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

like, for example, i feel like senator collins was not expecting it to come in at 20 million or above when she said this:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/877999611767439360

How is she going to run for Governor of a blue state after saying THAT and then voting for the bill? She has to be a no.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

evilweasel posted:

Why would the 1 more million specifically make that much of a difference in level of catastrophe instead of 2? If that's your implication anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kylra posted:

Why would the 1 more million specifically make that much of a difference in level of catastrophe instead of 2? If that's your implication anyway.

It's more the 15M that are going to lose their coverage before the midterms.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Kylra posted:

23 less than 24. Bigger number bad. Caveman GOP logic. Surface level analysis.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The employer insurance losses is what really scares me. I already pay half of my insurance through my employer and have little doubt they would, if able, cut it entirely.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
This bill would effectively end rural hospitals, urgent care centers, all but the most gold plated hospice and nursing homes, pre and neonatal care for the plurality of infants, and would wreak complete havoc on drug rehab and treatment, out patient, non emergency mental health services, and..god, on and on.

They are talking about stripping ten digits of public facing money from healthcare generally.

Also very important to look past raw coverage figures and think long and hard about what the collapse of aca insurance definitions means for those who still have insurance. Lifetime caps. Post illness recission. Jesus.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still laughing my rear end off at the fact that they're considering money for the opioid epidemic but somehow they and their idiot voters divorce that from medical care.

Sure, that dude in Ohio OD-ing on heroin in church is gonna be able to afford rehab on his $100 "Winners Don't Do Drugs" stipend. That'll work. Just like everything else in their church - talk about how bad it is/how you sinned, throw a few bucks that way, and walk out the door forgiven and fresh with no lesson learned and no change in attitude.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
15 million newly uninsured by next year? Isn't half the idea behind this disaster to try and put as much distance between its passing and people being dropped as possible? At least past 2020? How did they gently caress this up?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BonoMan posted:

The employer insurance losses is what really scares me. I already pay half of my insurance through my employer and have little doubt they would, if able, cut it entirely.

I feel like it opens the door for pretty much any industry outside of the hyper-competitive (like tech) to do the same, unless there's some hidden provision that prevents that.

You can't have a public option, and you can't get insurance through your employer...
GOP just wants fuckers to die already

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randbrick posted:

This bill would effectively end rural hospitals, urgent care centers, all but the most gold plated hospice and nursing homes, pre and neonatal care for the plurality of infants, and would wreak complete havoc on drug rehab and treatment, out patient, non emergency mental health services, and..god, on and on.

They are talking about stripping ten digits of public facing money from healthcare generally.

Also very important to look past raw coverage figures and think long and hard about what the collapse of aca insurance definitions means for those who still have insurance. Lifetime caps. Post illness recission. Jesus.

cool so the hospital i go to is probaly hosed too. jesus gently caress the GOP are bunch of subhuman ghouls.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/charlesornstein/status/879440798143664129

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's really really amazing that the GOP managed to find a release valve for their REPEAL AND REPLACE hardon that coincided with a way to get their tax giveaway reconciliation plan some traction.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I'm still laughing my rear end off at the fact that they're considering money for the opioid epidemic but somehow they and their idiot voters divorce that from medical care.

Sure, that dude in Ohio OD-ing on heroin in church is gonna be able to afford rehab on his $100 "Winners Don't Do Drugs" stipend. That'll work. Just like everything else in their church - talk about how bad it is/how you sinned, throw a few bucks that way, and walk out the door forgiven and fresh with no lesson learned and no change in attitude.

I don't see why addicts would need all that money anyway, they could have D.A.R.Ed to 'Just Said No.'

e: every single day I wish I could toss a raw egg at Nancy Reagan.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 26, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kylra posted:

If they'd gotten to 24 million they'd actually be worse than the House bill. Which is a problem as Obama got Trump to repeat his statement that the House bill was mean on TV.

I think they needed it below 20 million at least, enough to claim it was a significant improvement over the House bill.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Okay now I know this sounds bad, but have you considered the CBO is probably full of deep state Obama holdovers?

:downs:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

15 million newly uninsured by next year? Isn't half the idea behind this disaster to try and put as much distance between its passing and people being dropped as possible? At least past 2020? How did they gently caress this up?

It turns out that if you try and ram through a bill that alters 15% of the economy in a super short period of time while ignoring all advice and only using 100% IDEOLOGICALLY PURE solutions you gently caress up. Hard.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wait, I think this whole healthcare thing makes sense if the GOP are being controlled by Ra's Al Ghul. His whole deal was culling the human population, right?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Wow that is monstrous

I wonder if Canada will consider granting you Americans refugee status

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

If they'd gotten to 24 million they'd actually be worse than the House bill. Which is a problem as Obama got Trump to repeat his statement that the House bill was mean on TV.

I think they needed it below 20 million at least, enough to claim it was a significant improvement over the House bill.

Even if they got it down to 15, the fact that its all happening within a single year boggles my mind. No one outside of the usual crazy suspects can spin that as good news.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I feel like it opens the door for pretty much any industry outside of the hyper-competitive (like tech) to do the same, unless there's some hidden provision that prevents that.

You can't have a public option, and you can't get insurance through your employer...
GOP just wants fuckers to die already

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

holy poo poo it gets worse

https://twitter.com/WaPoSean/status/879439992665329664

15 million more uninsured AND 20% higher premiums, right before the midterms!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, I think this whole healthcare thing makes sense if the GOP are being controlled by Ra's Al Ghul. His whole deal was culling the human population, right?

It would take a chunk out of population growth, but not enough to make it negative.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
CBO is Fake News, don't you know?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Do it you cowards - vote to kill your electorates. It's not like it'll stop them from voting for you (except for the ones who are dead, they won't be able to obviously)

accusing democrats of rampant illegal voting is the perfect cover for your widespread dead voting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

JazzFlight posted:

Wait I found the 11th dimension chess here.

They're actually trying to save the environment. They want to drive population TO city centers by killing cutting off healthcare to rural areas. Thereby decreasing car traffic as public transit use quadruples by 2026 and thereby cutting carbon emissions.

Also less people farting methane into the environment.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
No wonder Spicer didn't want to be filmed. It would be bad optics for the press secretary to cry

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Javes posted:

23 less than 24. Bigger number bad. Caveman GOP logic. Surface level analysis.
I feel like after you get past the letting a million people die of easily prevent illnesses point it starts to become like "yeah you're evil enough I want to stop you, and throwing another million into the furnace won't really change that".

evilweasel posted:

holy poo poo it gets worse

https://twitter.com/WaPoSean/status/879439992665329664

15 million more uninsured AND 20% higher premiums, right before the midterms!
I'm also reading "for less benefits" there too, right?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
That's... a lot of money for premiums...

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/879437160365084672

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I take it this is now officially the worst bill that ever stood a real chance of becoming law in US history.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Randbrick posted:

Yeah.

People gon fuckin die.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

haveblue posted:

I take it this is now officially the worst bill that ever stood a real chance of becoming law in US history.

Does the Prohibition amendment count as a law?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

haveblue posted:

Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How hosed up is it that in this country a 64 year old has to pay 20K for health care until he turns 65 at which point he pays nothing and gets a massively popular and effective single payer plan.

• Locked thread