Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Obama 2012 posted:

I'm agonizing over whether or not to throw together a new character or try and finish the last two Dunwich scenarios with my battered, broken Zoey. She was always a little nutty, but Undimensioned and Unseen pushed her up to 5 mental trauma, meaning she'll start the game 1 brain away from madness.

On the other hand, she's got a hell of a lot of experience sunk into her. Also, I've already played through Where Doom Awaits with my solo Roland and found out the hard way that it might very well be the last Dunwich scenario if we fail. If that's the case, I worry it's a bit late in game to be trying to bring in someone new.

If I can get my hands on an amulet or some booze early on I could be fine, but if not she could end up going insane and throwing the game for the whole team.

Decisions!

I say go for it!

That said, I finally got around to going through Undimensioned and Unseen with my heavily traumatized Ashcan Pete, and he went permanently insane upon witnessing his faithful hound become a lupine thrall before his eyes.

(Duke took the damage from combat retaliations, and a thrall with Altered Beast attached waltzed up and did the last point of Sanity damage to poor Pete, giving him his fifth and final mental trauma.)

I still find it funny that the only Core or Dunwich scenario the train-hopping hobo managed to actually complete without resigning or losing to health/sanity loss was Essex County Express, and he blew through it like it was nothing.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I still find it funny that the only Core or Dunwich scenario the train-hopping hobo managed to actually complete without resigning or losing to health/sanity loss was Essex County Express, and he blew through it like it was nothing.

I thought Ashcan Pete was amazing?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

medchem posted:

the asset buddy ends up being a liability when you run afoul of redneck cultists

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ashcan Pete is, in my opinion, the strongest investigator in the game. However, he is balanced by his dependence on his dog, and his HUGE weakness to trauma.

In continued scenario play, his base stats really become his weakness. I think thematically and in-game he is just a great character.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

medchem posted:

He is really good, but a combination of bad luck and probably not-so-great upgrade choices led to his thematically appropriate end.

The game is still loads of fun, even if you're losing horribly, since it lets you continue with scenarios and forming a narrative regardless of how you perform.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
My observation is he can belt out a ton of average challenges against a diverse range of tasks really fast with Ashcan Pete, but he's not very good if it's very difficult challenges in a narrow range.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, the thing is, he can deal with a 4-5 skill challenge every once in a while, but really suffers if he has to pass them consistently a few times in a row (fighting a boss, being forced to grind high-shroud location), as he can't just keep up by chucking skills/events all the time.

I'm really hype for trying out Dark Horse with him, though, that should help a lot.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

My friend is a massive fan of this game so I grabbed him some stuff for his upcoming birthday and I want to print a custom investigator for him as well. I haven't played the game and need a bit of direction, can anyone come up with some decent traits and abilities for a veterinarian?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

My friend is a massive fan of this game so I grabbed him some stuff for his upcoming birthday and I want to print a custom investigator for him as well. I haven't played the game and need a bit of direction, can anyone come up with some decent traits and abilities for a veterinarian?
Here's a spitball idea that took me 5 or so minutes to put together but there might be something fun in it.

Seeker class.

Stats: 3 Willpower, 4 intellect, 2 Combat, 3 Agility

Deck construction: Seeker and Neutral cards, up to 5 cards from other classes. Can always include Creature cards in deck creation and level ups (right now this only includes Guard Dog and Stray Cat but may be more later).

Ability:
Creature cards do not take up an ally slot.
If engaged with a Creature card with only 1 health remaining, may spend 1 resource as a free action to discard that card (again: only Swarm of Rats and Whippoorwill in base/Dunwich right now).

Elder Sign ability: Search the deck or discard pile for a Creature card and put it in your hand.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I like that veterinarian.

He could have a special animal as an ally. Maybe a cat or dog that helps with investigations.

What would his special drawback be?

Perhaps:

Friends No More
[Whatever that keyword is for revealing something when you've drawn it.]
All animals allies at your location are no longer allies and engage you in combat.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 18, 2017

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I forgot about the other stats!

Health: 6, Sanity: 8

When you discard a Creature card by placing damage or horror on it (note: this includes enemies), take 1 direct horror.

Unique weakness:
Rabies.
Revelation: Put this card into play in your threat area with 3 damage tokens on it. It cannot leave play while it has 1 or more token on it.
At the end of the Player Phase, for each damage token on this card, place 1 damage on a creature you control.
Action: Spend 1 resource to remove a damage token from this card. Then, if it has no damage tokens on it, discard it.

Unique card:
Man(/woman)'s Best Friend (Cost: 3)
Free Action: Exhaust a Creature card you control to add 1 to the current skill check.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 18, 2017

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks guys, you rule.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If i was making a veterinarian investigator's weakness, i would touch on how horrible it is when pets die.

I would have it do 1 horror per creature in all investigators discard piles (up to 3). If no creatures, discard 2 cards and shuffle it back into your deck.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

Thanks guys, you rule.

While I was at it, I created a decklist that might work well for the character, and better-defined descriptions for the character's cards and abilities.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/1770/the-veterinarian-1.0

Hope he likes it!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

That is above and beyond. Between to two scenario packs, playmat and this I'll be in the good books (It's his 30th so worth going the extra distance). I'll report back.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

That is above and beyond. Between to two scenario packs, playmat and this I'll be in the good books (It's his 30th so worth going the extra distance). I'll report back.

One side note is that to actually create this deck (and have the character be worthwhile) you will need two copies of the base game or proxy up a few cards - specifically, Old Book of Lore, Dr Milan Christopher, Guard Dog, Stray Cat, Mind Over Matter, Deduction and probably some of Guts and Unexpected Courage.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

dexefiend posted:

If i was making a veterinarian investigator's weakness, i would touch on how horrible it is when pets die.

I would have it do 1 horror per creature in all investigators discard piles (up to 3). If no creatures, discard 2 cards and shuffle it back into your deck.

I like the theme but creatures could get into the discard pile by being used for their icons, which I don't take to mean anything bad happened. Maybe something like an ongoing card that deals horror to you whenever a creature leaves play?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Got my hands on two cores recently, and having a blast with that both solo and two-handed, mostly some combination of Roland, Agnes, and Daisy. Haven't really figured out Skids yet, and Wendy I've only played once. Something about them just isn't clicking for me. Any tips for them would be welcome, maybe I'm just not seeing something obvious.

Had my first perfect solo of Midnight Masks (on easy, admittedly) with Roland yesterday evening, with one action remaining before I would have doomed out the second agenda. Was a really tense finish, I realized 3 or 4 turns in advance that it was possible. After the game I wound up going through and checking for any weird ability triggers or enemy rules I might have missed. I'm pretty sure i played everything right. Really, I think I just got super lucky and only failed like 3 skill checks, all of which were pretty negligible. That, and the encounter deck was surprisingly kind.

Really excited about giving Zoey and Ashcan Pete a try, I love the flavor and concept for both of them. Ordered Dunwich Legacy at the FLGS almost a month ago, I guess they're having problems getting it. If it doesn't show up at the next ffg shipment I might start looking elsewhere for it. I'd rather buy from them, but if their distributor doesn't have it I guess it can't be helped. The store really only carries x wing and destiny as far as FFG products go, though I imagine the distributor would have everything.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

thocan posted:

Got my hands on two cores recently, and having a blast with that both solo and two-handed, mostly some combination of Roland, Agnes, and Daisy. Haven't really figured out Skids yet, and Wendy I've only played once. Something about them just isn't clicking for me. Any tips for them would be welcome, maybe I'm just not seeing something obvious.

Tip #1: draw Leo the Luca in the first turn.
Tip #2: as Skids, import all necessary murdertools from Guardians and proceed to out-warrior Roland by virtue of your superior evade-tanking.

Wendy is kinda tricky, you either keep her as a monster-manipulating generalist for larger teams, or do obscene janky event combos

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

thocan posted:

I had a lot of fun with Wendy using Scavenging and Burglary together with actually pitching her Amulet for skill checks instead of playing it. The wild icons on it makes it versatile, and you can get it back pretty easily with Scavenging if you pitch the Amulet for an investigation check.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Tip #1: draw Leo the Luca in the first turn.
Tip #2: as Skids, import all necessary murdertools from Guardians and proceed to out-warrior Roland by virtue of your superior evade-tanking.

Wendy is kinda tricky, you either keep her as a monster-manipulating generalist for larger teams, or do obscene janky event combos

Ok, I was starting to think they would be more worthwhile in larger groups. Skids as a fighter with a big bankroll and a couple tricks makes more sense than trying to run him mostly mono-green. And I guess I'll give Wendy another shot soon, maybe I'll like her more with a deck that isn't just the single core starter deck.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, mono-green is really not a great idea, as a lot of rogue stuff (like the whole "win by 2+" gimmick) isn't yet developed to the point of being a proper archetype on its own.

At least if we're talking Skids; Jenny Barnes simply splashes Arcane Studies and whichever expensive cards she likes and simply deals with all problems by throwing money at it (via the pumpable talents).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This solo Jim Dunwich campaign is...not going well.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Holy crap. My playgroup last night did the traincar mission, where a location disappears every 4 doom counters or such and anyone on it dies, I don't remember the name. We have four players and we never made it past the second car before we all got sucked into the vortex. It was insane. Is that mission supposed to just be ball-bustingly hard? At no point during the mission did it feel like it was even conceivable to reach the final traincar. having to acquire twelve clues before you can leave a traincar was nuts. Anybody else have any advice on that one?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zodiac5000 posted:

Holy crap. My playgroup last night did the traincar mission, where a location disappears every 4 doom counters or such and anyone on it dies, I don't remember the name. We have four players and we never made it past the second car before we all got sucked into the vortex. It was insane. Is that mission supposed to just be ball-bustingly hard? At no point during the mission did it feel like it was even conceivable to reach the final traincar. having to acquire twelve clues before you can leave a traincar was nuts. Anybody else have any advice on that one?

First time we ran that we got sucked up almost immediately (had 2 doom events and one of our people played an arcane initiate). Second time it was a bit tricky, but still doable. It's really about being very careful with your actions-you don't have much time to waste on setup and whatnot. I think some of the other cars also have fewer clues, also the shroud values are generally low on the cars with lots of clues. You just need to keep moving. You may even end up able to push past a couple cars at a time (which if possible, do it). And for what it's worth, it is a fairly high-pressure mission.

That said, if you do get sucked up it's not the end of the world.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
You cannot enter the next car until all the clues are gone from the car adjacent to it though, so you literally cannot move past a couple cars at a time.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Do we have any word on what's the street date for Lost in Time and Space?

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Lichtenstein posted:

Do we have any word on what's the street date for Lost in Time and Space?

FFG upcoming page lists it as 7/6

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zodiac5000 posted:

You cannot enter the next car until all the clues are gone from the car adjacent to it though, so you literally cannot move past a couple cars at a time.

There's a location with one clue total (not per investigator) and a location with no clues at all so you can, if you get lucky with your cars.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Re: train scenario, I wonder if more players makes it more difficult than normal. I've played it with two and three players and that extra encounter card each time can really hurt given how quickly the agendas advance and all the cultists and doom nonsense.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Single Tight Female posted:

There's a location with one clue total (not per investigator) and a location with no clues at all so you can, if you get lucky with your cars.

Wow, that would have been *fantastic* to draw at any point, instead of a twelve clue starting location. It might have even made it fun doing a lap around the table then being like 'oh well, guess we lose on my turn 2. cool.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Prairie Bus posted:

Re: train scenario, I wonder if more players makes it more difficult than normal. I've played it with two and three players and that extra encounter card each time can really hurt given how quickly the agendas advance and all the cultists and doom nonsense.

The train punishes teams in which not everyone can pull their weight at investigating. It's a counterbalance to people going hyperspecialized on combat in a 4 player team for instance.

Other than the Venice POD, it's probably the most difficult scenario released so far. While there is a possibility to get utterly hosed on encounter cards when playing with a big team (ie, you can get enough doom to lose on the first encounter card pulls with Ancient Evils and there's really nothing you can do to counter that) if you don't get that instant lose combo it's a really fun and challenging scenario that has all the AH elements.

Basically they hosed up by putting the Ancient Evils and the Cultists set in the same scenario and they should never ever do that again. Ancient Evils undermines the "you get to react to the cultists if you want" mechanic and a cultist + mysterious chanting + ancient evils generates just too much doom which will immediately advance in one go. The scenario also has the suitcase stealing text which is never mentioned again, so it seems like it just didn't get the testing it needed to iron out all the problems. IMO had they replaced the Ancient Evils set with Locked Doors or something the scenario would be hands down the best of the campaign for me so far.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 26, 2017

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zodiac5000 posted:

Wow, that would have been *fantastic* to draw at any point, instead of a twelve clue starting location. It might have even made it fun doing a lap around the table then being like 'oh well, guess we lose on my turn 2. cool.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I don't like that scenario. That, and the way you get blindsided on your first run by the Agendas suddenly taking two cars instead of one. Miskatonic Museum isn't great either, the campaign really stalls after you finish the big box.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zodiac5000 posted:

As was mentioned some cars have far less clues, but also I was talking more about being willing to spread out/abandon slower people. There's a lot of can't move effects and whatnots, so you have to make sure you're always pushing forward on the train.

And as for being the hardest mission, I'm not sure I'd say that. The most recent one is quite a beast. Really, Dunwich as a whole ups the difficulty a bunch. That's not a complaint by the way, everything is very well designed and it's fun to have actual tension in a game like that.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Basically they hosed up by putting the Ancient Evils and the Cultists set in the same scenario and they should never ever do that again. Ancient Evils undermines the "you get to react to the cultists if you want" mechanic and a cultist + mysterious chanting + ancient evils generates just too much doom which will immediately advance in one go. The scenario also has the suitcase stealing text which is never mentioned again, so it seems like it just didn't get the testing it needed to iron out all the problems. IMO had they replaced the Ancient Evils set with Locked Doors or something the scenario would be hands down the best of the campaign for me so far.

I think Ancient Evils in general is just a bad set. "Lose a turn, no skill test" isn't a lot of fun, to the point that my group has discussed a house rule of leaving it out in favor of something else.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Orange Devil posted:

The scenario also has the suitcase stealing text which is never mentioned again, so it seems like it just didn't get the testing it needed to iron out all the problems.

I think I remember one of the devs in a YouTube interview commenting on that--the idea was to give players the sense that it COULD have a future consequence, even if mechanically it doesn't. It's not sloppiness, just them experimenting with ways to play up the RPG feel of the narrative.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

heckyeahpathy posted:

I think Ancient Evils in general is just a bad set. "Lose a turn, no skill test" isn't a lot of fun, to the point that my group has discussed a house rule of leaving it out in favor of something else.

Yeah, for sure. Ancient Evils is just a "you have less fun" card; no interaction with anything, no fun roleplaying stuff you can do. You can tell that it was a design bandaid to paper over pacing cracks, but it's not interesting or creative at all. Still, it's early days and I hope they stop using it in future.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

As a counterargument, this card (particularly with its "can advance agenda" clause) does keep players honest when they get too cute juggling doom.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also when you're in a 4 player game you can be reasonably sure of drawing through the entire encounter deck so basically it just means you get fewer turns to do your thing in, which should offset some of the greater efficiency you can achieve. Ofcourse if you are playing solo and draw all 3 ancient evils in a row then whelp. I suppose that's always going to be the variance of card games, unless they had sets which are only added at certain player counts I suppose.

Obama 2012 posted:

I think I remember one of the devs in a YouTube interview commenting on that--the idea was to give players the sense that it COULD have a future consequence, even if mechanically it doesn't. It's not sloppiness, just them experimenting with ways to play up the RPG feel of the narrative.

The problem with this is that it works only exactly once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

The problem with this is that it works only exactly once.

Well, unfortunately, yeah. Just like any of the bits of Temple of Elemental Evil or Return to Castle Ravenloft. If you play the same RPG twice, some of the little tricks and traps just won't work the second or third time through. It isn't a bad thing, it shows a lot of creativity and willingness to experiment on the part of the devs. It took some time, but Strange Solution payed off. Maybe in a future Nightmare Pack type thing, consequences will work their way in.

As for Ancient Evils, I can't really speak for its impact on big games, but I kinda like it in solo or two player. Since the timer is right in front of you all game on the agenda deck, AE is a nice way to add a real sense of urgency and panic. It doesn't belong in every Encounter Deck or scenario, of course. But i don't think it is flat-out bad design.