Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The new 3ds can't emulate Yoshi's Island at 60fps.
Yeaaaaaaah, but the even the New 3DS has a 32bit ARM processor from like 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Maybe Nintendo themselves have the newest version of the ROM? They are very good at data archiving.

i heard they get everything off coolrom and miyamoto had to sit there repeatedly voting on the top 50 rom sites just so he could see mario world again

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Maybe Nintendo themselves have the newest version of the ROM? They are very good at data archiving.

Also hooray

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/879409649077952512

Of course! I'm not insinuating that they wouldn't. However, from his description of the ROM floating around it sounds like they found the early alpha one. The final beta ROM has the features he described.

Again, if there's more to it, I'll be happy to have more Star Fox 2. I'm just cautious.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Well, they had something available while StarFox Command was being made. And it was identified as the mastered version, so either the one out there now is the final, ready to go on cartridge version, or there's one that Nintendo has that hasn't made it out yet.

Since the current one required some hacking if I remember, it's probably an earlier version than whatever Nintendo has access to.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rdbbb posted:

i heard they get everything off coolrom and miyamoto had to sit there repeatedly voting on the top 50 rom sites just so he could see mario world again

:golfclap:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That's good to know. I mean the music chip is kind of important for me, but then again how noticeable is the difference? Not really in MM so that wouldn't be a huge issue.

Ironically I had no clue that my old wii (that hasn't been turned on in years, but just packed away in perfect condition) can be modded even at the latest system update until I was looking around today, so I think I'm just going to try and softmod that tonight for emulation purposes.

The music chip I was talking about isn't a SNES standard music chip. That's all in your SNES and so isn't effected by the romcart. All games will play and sound as you expect on either everdrive or sd2snes.

There's some fancy memory chip extension some guys figured out how to write romhacks to use, and if you get an everdrive it can support that, and the results are amazing. Its very noticeable because its completely different music.

It requires romhacks though, the original carts simply do not have this music on it.

https://youtu.be/fuHA3k-y6PE?t=28m26s

Its super cool but since each game has to be modified one by one, you're probably only going to find a handful of games that take advantage of it total. TMNT, Zelda, Mega Man, Metroid... maybe Castlevania. That's about it.

xamphear posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, but the even the New 3DS has a 32bit ARM processor from like 2005.

Right, the simple fact that 3DS runs off battery and SNES classic doesn't means they can crank the poo poo way higher, its running off mains voltage regardless.

Just a question of how much they wanna spend on the SOC.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 26, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So are those original SNES ports or mini ones? Shame they broke compatibility with wii ports. But if they had 50 of the ports and controller around to fulfill demand It's a neat addition (plus you can break out the SNES stick too!).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

incoherent posted:

So are those original SNES ports or mini ones? Shame they broke compatibility with wii ports. But if they had 50 of the ports and controller around to fulfill demand It's a neat addition (plus you can break out the SNES stick too!).

The ports on the front are fake. Nintendo's page says it's compatible with the Classic Controller & Classic Controller Pro, so it's still got the Wii ports somewhere. Either on the back or the fake ports flip up or something.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'll pm you too, but I was at a con today where StoneAgeGamer had a booth. I mentioned your post and they said to contact them and they'll make it right.

Thanks for the mention. They got back to me this morning and shipped out the missing parts :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

rdbbb posted:

They literally did this with the NES virtual console! People found ines headers in the ROM.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

They literally did this with the NES virtual console! People found ines headers in the ROM.

yes they literally did what I described

Yeah I know what you're actually referring to

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Just a question of how much they wanna spend on the SOC.

The NES Classic's SoC (Allwinner R16 @ 1.2Ghz) is capable of FX emulation, I doubt they'd go for anything lower end than that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

The ports on the front are fake. Nintendo's page says it's compatible with the Classic Controller & Classic Controller Pro, so it's still got the Wii ports somewhere. Either on the back or the fake ports flip up or something.

Well thats cool. If I ever get one i'll be glad to play all those games again

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/879377105674489856?s=09

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

incoherent posted:

Well thats cool. If I ever get one i'll be glad to play all those games again

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/879377105674489856?s=09

:oh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Overall I like the lineup, but I am disappointed that Donkey Kong Country 2 is being left out(would rather have that than either Kirby's Dream Course or Contra 3), also it's very disappointing that that there's less games than the NES Classic had

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I bet Nintendo did something like make sure the on-board storage was EXACTLY the amount needed so you can't hack it and add more games. I hope not but I bet they did.

Also I don't think the side is where the controller ports are because look at the PAL version:

So no ports on left or right. It either must be on the back, or maybe it uses the Wii controllers? Plug the SNES controller into the Wii controller and the SNES Classic has a receiver for Wii controllers? Maybe?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Maybe the part on the front/top flips up to reveal the ports, like the top of the Wii with the GameCube ports?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Hopefully super ghouls n ghosts >5fps on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I bet Nintendo did something like make sure the on-board storage was EXACTLY the amount needed so you can't hack it and add more games. I hope not but I bet they did.

That might not be possible, like, they'd need a 64 meg or thereabouts storage solution and I don't think anyone makes chips that small anymore or even close.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

I'd be prohibitively more expensive to source weirdly specific small flash storage chips instead of going with a standard 16GB for $.93.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

I bet they used the cheapest chips available, regardless of any extra space.

edit oh whats up other guys chiming in

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Only Shallow posted:

Thanks for the mention. They got back to me this morning and shipped out the missing parts :)

Awesome. I'm happy they resolved it so quickly for you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Also I don't think the side is where the controller ports are because look at the PAL version:

So no ports on left or right. It either must be on the back, or maybe it uses the Wii controllers? Plug the SNES controller into the Wii controller and the SNES Classic has a receiver for Wii controllers? Maybe?

There are no additional software sales here, so I doubt they'd care. If anything, it being more useful might drive accessory sales.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Man do I love the classic SNES black and red box style :swoon:

Zamujasa posted:

Maybe the part on the front/top flips up to reveal the ports, like the top of the Wii with the GameCube ports?

If you look at it, the controller ports section of the SNES does look like its a separate flap and can fold down, yeah.

Could just be separate components for assembly though? :shrug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a decent lineup but Chrono Trigger is a notable omission and could easily have gone in place of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts or Contra.

Counterpoint: gently caress off, those games are essential

Counterpoint #2: they could have given us 30 games like last time and made everyone happy

My guess is they picked Secret of Mana because it's a co-op game and they felt they should include as many of those as possible, seeing as it comes with two controllers.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the only game i'd knock off the list in favor of something else is castlevania 4. also it should be dkc2 instead of dkc but whatever. rest of the list is basically straight bangers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SCV4 is too easy and kinda boring but what are they gonna do, not have a Castlevania game on it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Castlevania 4 is great. It's too easy, yeah, but lots of stuff in that era was made easier compared to their NES predecessors. And you can do the wiggle whip thing, which is still fun.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

SCV4 is too easy and kinda boring but what are they gonna do, not have a Castlevania game on it

i mean there aren't any good snes ones and most people think nes when they think castlevania so yeah they could've gotten away with it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

i mean there aren't any good snes ones and most people think nes when they think castlevania so yeah they could've gotten away with it

who owns the turbografx rights and when is the PC Engine mini coming out

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

NEC probably still has the TurboGrafx and PC Engine trademarks, but any Hudson games would have to go through Konami and LOL at that being pleasant and productive (though I admit I've probably watched too much of Jim Sterling's snark about the company lately, so maybe I'm being biased).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

Konami owns all the games so either "never" or they'll all show up on some awful plug-and-play alongside the complete works of fuckin' Accolade or something.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

In Training posted:

A miniature PC Engine would be like the size of a SD card

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
CV4 isn't a bad game and there's a code which lets you start from the second loop which is decently challenging.

They put CV2 on the last box and that's a game they could have easily left off with no complaints.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
y'all with ya hosed up opinions make me wonder why I even have this poo poo bookmarked anymore, whining about goddamn Super Castlevania IV and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (I accept framerate complaints regarding SGnG but that game is great). I mean goddamn.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'll probably try to get the SNES classic when it hits US preorder just for the convenience factor. Also I don't already own 90% of those games. Failing that I'll just go back to emulating or pay some one to make me a Starfox 2 cart.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Shadowrun should be on there.

And Sim City.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Caitlin posted:

y'all with ya hosed up opinions make me wonder why I even have this poo poo bookmarked anymore, whining about goddamn Super Castlevania IV and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (I accept framerate complaints regarding SGnG but that game is great). I mean goddamn.

I know. What the gently caress is wrong with this thread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Castlevania but 4 just isn't as good as 1,3 or Rondo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/johntv/status/879492179093184513

• Locked thread