Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tried making 6 hours ribs but they didn't really have much of a taste and wondering if I didn't use enough rub.

E: Issues with img https://imgur.com/gallery/Bl6nf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ChaseSP posted:

Tried making 6 hours ribs but they didn't really have much of a taste and wondering if I didn't use enough rub.

E: Issues with img https://imgur.com/gallery/Bl6nf

Did you not trim those, or is the picture quality giving me that impression?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Fattier than usual yeah. Normally they don't have a giant fat cap but it came right off

Sorry for the bad pic I was hungry along with others so I didn't care to get a great pic.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 26, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Were you extremely stingy with the rub? Fat on ribs can really dilute the flavor too but there isn't much volume to surface area like a brisket or pork shoulder.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think I used enough rub yeah but cooking or smoking is always a learning experience and wanted feedback.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
My old man is cooking up a couple briskets and I'd like to throw some ribs on the smoker at some point. The problem is I've only ever done the 3-2-1 method, and by the time I go to put the ribs on he'll already have the smoker at 225. My wife and I love the way the ribs come out, which is why I've never tried another cooking method. What's the best option to cook at a single temp that will produce passable results?

I'm thinking just apply rub and put them on the smoker, spritzing with apple juice every hour or so for 4 hours. Then baste with my sauce when ribs are done and letting them sit on the grill another 10m or so before pulling. Any thoughts?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I usually spritz them every hour and baste them during the last hour. You're smoking meat though, just let it cook until it's done.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My Traeger book lead me to believe that I could do a pot roast on it. So I decided to try it yesterday. The general idea was an aluminum pan, put the roast in (coated with S&P) and some beef broth (about two cups worth). I used better than bouillon. Added some potatoes and carrots and a whole yellow onion sliced thick.
Get the grill as hot as it will go, 450* and let that go for ~30 minutes. Then drop to 225 and watch the meat temp. Well by the time the meat hit 155 the carrots looked dry and the potatoes were not done. I decided to cover in foil and just let it go.

I'm glad I did. With total cook time of about five hours that was one of the best pot roasts I've ever had. The gravy I got out of it was incredible. The smoke ring was nearly half of the meat when slicing. I'll do it again and I will be sure to foil. It was awesome.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My Traeger book lead me to believe that I could do a pot roast on it. So I decided to try it yesterday. The general idea was an aluminum pan, put the roast in (coated with S&P) and some beef broth (about two cups worth). I used better than bouillon. Added some potatoes and carrots and a whole yellow onion sliced thick.
Get the grill as hot as it will go, 450* and let that go for ~30 minutes. Then drop to 225 and watch the meat temp. Well by the time the meat hit 155 the carrots looked dry and the potatoes were not done. I decided to cover in foil and just let it go.

I'm glad I did. With total cook time of about five hours that was one of the best pot roasts I've ever had. The gravy I got out of it was incredible. The smoke ring was nearly half of the meat when slicing. I'll do it again and I will be sure to foil. It was awesome.

This is always a huge hit too, if you haven't tried it:
http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Mexican Coke is made with real sugar, that's the key.

Tbh I think Australian is too

qutius posted:

This is always a huge hit too, if you haven't tried it:
http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

This cooked to a pullable point is the single greatest meat pie filling I've had in gods country aka australia.

Also beef cheek with a Barossa Shiraz

Wagyu ribs the other weekend

Costco pork ribs. Basically done in Memphis dust with extra chilli and turmeric

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jsut thru a butt and a chuck on for work thing tomorrow.

S+P on the chuck and High Test Cayenne, Garlic powder, +Butt Rub on the butt.

Set to 250 and let it go.

I think my pork thermometer placement is off though, it's reading 95 and i just put the fucker in. I'll go move it after the first round of smoke has some time to roll. I had a bunch of leftover cherry chips in the smoker from a bacon run, i'll use that then switch to hickory/mesquite.

I may even crutch this afternoon. we shall see.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Hell, I don't even bother probing thin stuff like ribs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That butt had some of the most uneven temps i've ever seen.

thick parts were 197, thinner parts were 175, and vice versa, but who the gently caress knows why.

I pulled the bone and made chopped pork, no one complained.

The chuck got a smidge dry but also no complaints.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Happy 4th everybody! Made some baby back ribs today on my Slow n Sear with some pecan wood using the Memphis Dust rub.

Took maybe four and a half hours, another 20 minutes with the sauce on. Turned out great! Definitely going to do this again

beepsandboops fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 5, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

beepsandboops posted:

Happy 4th everybody! Made some baby back ribs today on my Slow n Sear with some pecan wood using the Memphis Dust rub.

Took maybe four and a half hours, another 20 minutes with the sauce on. Turned out great! Definitely going to do this again

Looks great. Good ring

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Made some 6+ hour ribs yesterday too. Had a nice char and crisp on the skin under the bones, and the top was juicy and tender. Best ribs yet. Cooked these on a Stok charcoal grill, used cheap charcoal and wood chunks to get the grill up to 600 degrees for the smoking for an hour, then cooked around 200 degrees the rest of the day (all indirect heat).

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Wine marinated beef ribs v2.0 happening today. Last time I just wine braised, but last eve I changed it up to marinate and use the marinade later for the braise.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Trying to mentally piece together a recipe for a larger BBQ next month. I happen to have a large slab of pork belly in my freezer. Half will probably become bacon but I'm thinking of using the other half in a bean dish. I think my goal is to basically make burnt ends out of the belly along with the beans. So I'm thinking:

Smoke the belly till about 195°
Cut into cubes
Either back on the smoker then into the beans or the belly goes straight into the beans and then put it all in the smoker together.

Anybody have experience with such a plan?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
If you're doing beans, put them under the meat to catch the drippings.

Honestly, I just cooked a batch of beans. Put them together and just let them smoke on there with the meat. They won't over cook and if they're too thick, thin it out with water or broth. Then use them to catch the drippings, too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Amazon has the smoker on sale that I've had my eye on and I'd like to finally get into this delicious hobby. Is there anything not on this list that I need that I'm leaving out before I get started?

Smoker (Obviously) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00104WRCY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Butane torch lighter
Butane
A-MAZE-N Pellet smoker
Hickory pellets
Waterproof cover for smoker

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming I still need a thermometer for internal temperatures? Can anyone suggest one available on Amazon, preferably friendly with the smoker I'm getting?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

katkillad2 posted:

Amazon has the smoker on sale that I've had my eye on and I'd like to finally get into this delicious hobby. Is there anything not on this list that I need that I'm leaving out before I get started?

Smoker (Obviously) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00104WRCY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Butane torch lighter
Butane
A-MAZE-N Pellet smoker
Hickory pellets
Waterproof cover for smoker

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming I still need a thermometer for internal temperatures? Can anyone suggest one available on Amazon, preferably friendly with the smoker I'm getting?

I have that exact smoker, good choice!

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-probe-thermometer/ recommends a couple, I have the ThermoWorks ChefAlarm and have been really happy with it for the past several years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Thermoworks makes good poo poo. I have the Dot and the Smoke recommended in that article. The Smoke is what you want because it has two probes and a remote, so you can track smoker temp and meat temp, or two meats if you want. Or two smokers I guess. If they were close together.

A lot of folks have Mavericks but they will break eventually (I didn’t believe when people told me until mine broke).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I bought this one, which is out of stock so that may not be much help.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No real complaints except it somehow loses signal with the main unit when it's literally 10 feet from my smoker, yet is just fine in the kitchen, upstairs in my bedroom, etc. My probes were 1 and 2 degrees off in boiling water, which is good enough for me. I just made a note of that mentally (and with a marker on the unit :v:) and all is well. Also you can set an alarm ceiling (if it goes above 250 or whatever you set, it'll beep at you) but I don't think it will alarm on temps that are too low. That's a minor flaw but would be useful for those without great temp control or when you run out of propane (me).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah Thermoworks makes good poo poo. I have the Dot and the Smoke recommended in that article. The Smoke is what you want because it has two probes and a remote, so you can track smoker temp and meat temp, or two meats if you want. Or two smokers I guess. If they were close together.

A lot of folks have Mavericks but they will break eventually (I didn’t believe when people told me until mine broke).

How long did it last?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

How long did it last?

Little over a year (may be closer to two actually) or fairly light use.

Also that thermometer linked in the post above was on the prime sale for like $35 today. Almost got one in general principle.

Edit: the Smoke lets you set high and low alarms on both probes and tracks the max and min temps it hits while in use (though you can only see that on the main part).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Thanks friends, hopefully I'll have some meatpics to post in a week or two.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Looking for some opinions. How long before the smoke do you apply a rub to your brisket? I've always treated mine like a pro butt and try to do at least 24 hours before but I see a lot recipes skipping that. Anyone ever do a side by side?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Whats the scoop on transporting that delicious smoked meat? I thought I read (maybe in this thread I have lurked on and off) that the best thing to do is wrap the meat in foil, then a towel, then put it in a cooler. I'll be smoking a brisket this weekend and need to transport it 30-40 minutes away. I can see how doing foil/towel/cooler would keep it warm but I guess my question is: should the meat rest first before doing this? I don't want it to cook further and I feel like that insulation right after coming off the smoker might not be the best thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I foil and I towel and put into a cooler right away

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Glambags posted:

Whats the scoop on transporting that delicious smoked meat? I thought I read (maybe in this thread I have lurked on and off) that the best thing to do is wrap the meat in foil, then a towel, then put it in a cooler. I'll be smoking a brisket this weekend and need to transport it 30-40 minutes away. I can see how doing foil/towel/cooler would keep it warm but I guess my question is: should the meat rest first before doing this? I don't want it to cook further and I feel like that insulation right after coming off the smoker might not be the best thing.

It's just a nice, hot way for the meat to rest. I hold butts/brisket for up to 4 hours in my cooler this way, it's referred to as a "faux cambro" and it's great. I even do it when I'm not transporting the meat, it adds so much flexibility to smoking and it's variable completion times.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Glambags posted:

Throw it right in. If you know you are going to be doing this you actually don't want to rest it and then wrap it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a thread approved basic brisket technique?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

bewbies posted:

1. Buy brisket
2. Cook brisket
3. Eat brisket
4. Profit???

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bewbies posted:

Follow the amazingribs.com guide on it. I did the rub and the mop sauce and it was amazing.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

bewbies posted:

Expect to be disappointed on your first try(s).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

bewbies posted:

I would only say don't be afraid of brisket. In my opinion the "difficulty" of smoking a brisket is way oversold. As long as you are competent at controlling the temp of your cooker and you pay attention to internal temps, you'll be fine.

I personally have become a huge fan of the high heat method of cooking brisket. Basically, 325-375 until you hit the stall. This takes roughly on average 3 hours or so . Foil, throw it in the oven at 300, another few hours and its done. It's been awesome every time I've cooked it this way and it takes way less time.

Otherwise, just standard slow and low.

Jamsta posted:

Expect to be disappointed on your first try(s).

Don't listen to this nonsense.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bewbies posted:

Salt and pepper, nothing else needed. High heat smoke it for the first hour or two, then low and slow for 8 hours. Works well for smaller briskets. For larger ones, you probably need an all day cook. Use a thermometer to temp it throughout the day.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
As above, salt and pepper only, and more than you think you need. Oak is the proper Texas wood and best IMO, but mesquite, pecan and hickory are okay too. Mine started coming out even better after I took a cue from Franklin and started spritzing the outside with water every 90 minutes or so.

I personally do 225 the whole way through, but higher heat methods work great too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I haven't found it makes a difference when I rub a brisket nor whether I let something rest before wrapping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this is my emerging plan.

lots of salt and pepper
into the smoker at ~350 with a loaded amazen tube until the wood pellets are gone and or it hits the stall
wrap and into oven at 300 until...200-205 internal temp?
take out and let sit for at least an hour

should I put any liquid into the foil wrap? also what to do with the fat cap? some say trim it a lot, some say score it.