Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yea lemme just spend seven mana on an artifact to bring back a 4/4 in a format with Abrade and a billion other ways to shut poo poo down for 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Are there good sac, discard or mill options available? How quickly can you get 6 creatures to a grave in this format?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does it actually suck that badly? It occurs the turn you play it so it generates immediate value at least

E: it reminds me of that Dragon's Maze (Gatecrash?) rare that creates hasty soldier tokens

Assemble the Legion.

The difference between 5 and 7 mana is significant. Also, Assemble the Legion will absolutely take over a game if given enough time, but since this requires input (dead creatures), it can be stalled out with removal spells or blockers. Like, on the 10th turn it's in play, Assemble is better than ever, but God-Pharaoh's Gift has a decent chance of being a blank artifact.

Also, I don't remember Assemble getting much play (although obviously different environments, and I honestly didn't come back to the game until RTR/THS devotion standard).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

Yea lemme just spend seven mana on an artifact to bring back a 4/4 in a format with Abrade and a billion other ways to shut poo poo down for 7

It's a limited bomb. If it isn't answered it wins the game by creating 4/4s with abilities. If it is answered it's like every other limited bomb. The real question is if the format will slow down enough to allow 7 Mana grindy value generators to be relevant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does it actually suck that badly? It occurs the turn you play it so it generates immediate value at least

E: it reminds me of that Dragon's Maze (Gatecrash?) rare that creates hasty soldier tokens

That thing was 5 mana, not 7 and you didn't need a creature in your GY every turn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boxman posted:

Assemble the Legion.

The difference between 5 and 7 mana is significant. Also, Assemble the Legion will absolutely take over a game if given enough time, but since this requires input (dead creatures), it can be stalled out with removal spells or blockers. Like, on the 10th turn it's in play, Assemble is better than ever, but God-Pharaoh's Gift has a decent chance of being a blank artifact.

Also, I don't remember Assemble getting much play (although obviously different environments, and I honestly didn't come back to the game until RTR/THS devotion standard).

I really want to build a WRx (UWR, let's be real here) control deck in Modern that wins with Assemble the Legion. I feel like I've seen one in the past few months but I have no idea where.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I really want to build a WRx (UWR, let's be real here) control deck in Modern that wins with Assemble the Legion. I feel like I've seen one in the past few months but I have no idea where.

I recall this. Vaguely remember it also running Keranos but I could be wrong.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Look, with Cruel Reality and the new white curse all coming in all I want to know is if it is time for turbo-curse in modern:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

C-Euro posted:

The WR Prison deck has been known to play one or 2 copies of Assemble.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 26, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

There's also a UWR control list that plays 1 each of Keranos and Assemble, if memory serves.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rides Naked posted:

Look, with Cruel Reality and the new white curse all coming in all I want to know is if it is time for turbo-curse in modern:

Don't give Hetfield any ideas, he won't shut up about it. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

whydirt posted:

It actually works really well with Gate to the Afterlife since you can use the latter to loot away the former until you can profitably use the activated ability to bring it back.
I think a playset of Gates and a single Gift might work in some sort of aristocrat shell. Use Pia's Revolution to get value out of dying artifacts and then reanimate them as weirdo filigree zombies. Or just do delirium things and then cast Ishkanah four times in a row.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gay Horney posted:

You're supposed to play this with Gate to the Afterlife as some kind of combo with Eternalize dudes. I don't think you're expected to just play it in a random deck that isn't full of Cathartic Reunions and such.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 26, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This isn't actually that overcosted. Many eternalize dudes are 6 mana, this costs one more and a card for haste and repeatability, on creatures that don't have eternalize and thus won't be costed around it.

It's still probably bad outside of limited, but so is Eternalize. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

Don't give Hetfield any ideas, he won't shut up about it. :v:

Man now you've got me wondering if there's any relation between Hetfield and the MURDERGOATS rear end in a top hat

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Shortest Path posted:

It's still probably bad outside of limited, but so is Eternalize. :v:

Eternalize will be just fine in constructed, in the cases where it's a bonus on creatures with a playable front half.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Rides Naked posted:

Oh please, everyone knows by now that the best conduit for a turbo-curse deck in Moden is Zur.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
That Mono Red Eldrazi deck is so bad. I just smoked it like 3x in a row.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

Oh please, everyone knows by now that the best conduit for a turbo-curse deck in Moden is Zur.

Almost all of the good Curses are > 3 CMC :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

Turns out playing big dummies on curve isn't all that amazing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

80s James Hetfield posted:

The big draw to that deck was being able to poo poo out 2 mana X/5 trampling ingesting drazis that get really big really fast. Then finish you with the threaten-on-a-stick guy.

Problem is, none of that matters with Fatal Push in the format. :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Typical WotC printing answers way too good for the format.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

AlternateNu posted:

The big draw to that deck was being able to poo poo out 2 mana X/5 trampling ingesting drazis that get really big really fast. Then finish you with the threaten-on-a-stick guy.

Problem is, none of that matters with Fatal Push in the format. :v:

Most versions I've seen just try to curve out on Matter Reshaper -> Thought-Knot -> Reality Smasher without any fancy tricks except burn.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
I had an opponent in Standard Showdown that was playing some janky BR deck where he would play Hazoret's Favor and then play Threaten effects to steal a creature, get in a boosted attack with Hazoret's Favor and sacrifice it.

So he's got two copies of Hazoret's Favor in play, steals my Tireless Tracker before I've had the chance to put counters on it, and I kill my own creature with Magma Spray. My opponent makes fun of me for killing my own creature, because he's so loving clueless that he doesn't realize that I'd rather not take a hit of seven damage from a stolen creature that's going to be sacrificed anyway.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That sounds like fun magic

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation

myDad posted:

That sounds like fun magic

I don't know how someone that goes 0-3 or 1-2 almost all the time is having fun playing Magic.

It also doesn't help that he's the most annoying person in the shop and even his girlfriend joins in on making fun of him.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

C-Euro posted:

Almost all of the good Curses are > 3 CMC :(

<---- (guy who forgot about the 3 CMC thing :doh: )

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheDemon posted:

Most versions I've seen just try to curve out on Matter Reshaper -> Thought-Knot -> Reality Smasher without any fancy tricks except burn.

Any red Drazi deck that doesn't run Threaten-on-a-Stick guy is doing it wrong. :colbert:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

It also doesn't help that he's the most annoying person in the shop and even his girlfriend joins in on making fun of him.

It's so awkward when people bring their fetishes out and involve unwilling parties.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation

PJOmega posted:

It's so awkward when people bring their fetishes out and involve unwilling parties.

The guy that owns the card shop in town used to be a manager at Wendy's. He had a fling with the health inspector that ended when she was over one night and while they were taking a shower together, she took a poo poo right in the tub.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Star Man posted:

The guy that owns the card shop in town used to be a manager at Wendy's. He had a fling with the health inspector that ended when she was over one night and while they were taking a shower together, she took a poo poo right in the tub.

Maybe the level of cleanliness at his restaurant made her think he'd be into it. Gotta be careful what signals you're sending.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Any recommendations for a decent LGS in Columbus, Ohio? Relocating there for job/family reasons.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Any recommendations for a decent LGS in Columbus, Ohio? Relocating there for job/family reasons.

Did you take the job I'm applying for?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Probably Comic Town or The Guardtower

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation

JerryLee posted:

Maybe the level of cleanliness at his restaurant made her think he'd be into it. Gotta be careful what signals you're sending.

You know, all eight fast food joints in town are kept pretty clean. makes u think

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Rides Naked posted:

Thanks for my next ultra-budget modern deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

Friend had a brief fling with a girl who drunkenly asked "who here still shits in the shower?" while raising her hand during a Denny's 2am hangout nearly 15 years ago. Wonder if they're the same person.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

I don't know how someone that goes 0-3 or 1-2 almost all the time is having fun playing Magic.

This is why I don't play Limited anymore :saddowns:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Not quite as good as Prepare//Fight where you would splash it, but the white half alone is quite strong especially in two exert colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That card seems incredibly mediocre to me, even in limited. The green half being a sorcery is just so awkward.