Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Switch finally arrived today (along with MK, Zelda and Arms). Unfortunately, I don't have my 3DS any longer, so I can't migrate over my friends list; SW-1852-1918-3399 is me & I'll be adding people from the goon spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It's shocking that Nintendo sat on this game forever if it was finished, that's a long time to wait but this alone will sell a lot of SNES classic alone, and then again on the Switch.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Sorry SNES Classic, but no Maximum Carnage or SimCity = No Sale.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Star Fox timeline is now:

Star Fox (SNES)

(REBOOT)

64, Adventures, Assault and Command.

(REBOOT)

Zero

(REBOOT)

Star Fox 2 (SNES), we have now come full circle and gone through about three dimensional worm holes to get back here.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

They'll probably dump this ROM and it'll be sliiiiiiightly better (there's a couple minor minor bugs) but if you just wanna play SF2 you know most of us already have?

Most people haven't downloaded a ROM

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's shocking that Nintendo sat on this game forever if it was finished, that's a long time to wait but this alone will sell a lot of SNES classic alone, and then again on the Switch.

I mean they do it with games released today, just on a much smaller timescale of course.

Like according to conventional wisdom Mario Odyssey has basically been "done" since the beginning of the year and they have basically just been polishing the game up for release at the end of the Oct. If they had really wanted to Odyssey quite possibly could have made the Switch launch if they had really wanted it to at the home-stretch.

Same for BOTW and other various titles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just picked up a second hand Pro controller since I got my switch back. I suspect it's probably got zilch in the battery right now so I'm going to have to charge when I get home. Can anyone verify whether or not you can charge the pro controller with a wall adapter WHILE using it? Google isn't giving me the love I typically expect.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yes, that's fine. When used wirelessly, the Pro Controller doesn't care what it is/isn't connected to.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Martytoof posted:

Just picked up a second hand Pro controller since I got my switch back. I suspect it's probably got zilch in the battery right now so I'm going to have to charge when I get home. Can anyone verify whether or not you can charge the pro controller with a wall adapter WHILE using it? Google isn't giving me the love I typically expect.

If I remember right, you can, but you can't scan Amiibo while it's charging.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok great, thanks guys. I was really just worried about charging it for six hours before I could start playing Zelda with it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm the loser that would play Super Mario Kart once with a friend for nostalgia then throw it to the side and go back to MK8D.

Nah dude I can't stand any of the Mode 7 games. They have not aged well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

demota posted:

If I remember right, you can, but you can't scan Amiibo while it's charging.

This isn't correct. You can't scan amiibo while it's in wired mode (which you have to manually activate) and connected to the console. If the cable is only charging the controller and not transmitting data, amiibos work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if the Starfox games will run at 60.

Probably not.

HELL no. They didn't originally run at even 30. Starfox on SNES is like, 15 tops.

They'll probably run at a smooth 15, lol. 60 would probably have issues with the game logic.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Most people haven't downloaded a car.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Zaphod42 posted:

HELL no. They didn't originally run at even 30. Starfox on SNES is like, 15 tops.

They'll probably run at a smooth 15, lol. 60 would probably have issues with the game logic.

2 drops to 9 at places on an SNES. Seems like 4 sometimes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephzinho posted:

Most people haven't downloaded a car.

It's like when people say the NES classic is dumb because you can just load up a Rapberry Pi with a bunch of ROMs. What loving world are those people from?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ventana posted:

It may be the more updated version of the game. The ROM leak wasn't the most up to date build apparently and is said to be missing quite a few features.

Ehhhhhh did you actually read the link though?

quote:

As for Star Fox 2, Cuthbert insisted once again that the widely circulated 'leaked' ROM is not fully representative of the final product, and frankly we'll take his word for it - some try to argue that it's a final build of the game, as if they'd actually know better than Cuthbert. In any case, he wrote a little about the disappointment of that game never being released, and why we're unlikely to ever see its final form in public.
It was very disappointing of course, I had spent two years making the game and put so many ideas into it. I could understand the marketing/publisher logic behind the decision but it was still disappointing.
I can't really comment on that [feelings about the ROM], and it's illegal to do reproduction cartridges. The videos I've seen of that build show it to be an old build and not the final one as there are some major gameplay elements missing such as the rogue-style encounter system and more variations of the various arenas and setups.
I doubt Starfox 2 will ever get a proper release because it would require re-negotiating contracts with Argonaut, which of course doesn't really exist now.

This is not actually a quote of Cuthbert saying "omg you guys the game is missing so much", this is a very game-of-telephone style bad journalism where the writer is injecting his own attitude and bias into the writing. What it really is, is that Cuthbert said to the author once (not quoted) that starfox 2 was missing some things, and the author then took that to mean "omg its missing so much you guys, like so much"

The only things actually mentioned missing: some rogue-style encounters, and some arenas.

Don't know what he meant by rogue-style, but the version of starfox2 that everybody played totally had random elements and played different than starfox 1 by a lot. Maybe the bit missing is that it would have been more random... but I don't really think that's a "major" missing feature like you're making it out to be. Nor is missing "a few arenas".

Would be cool to have those things of course, but I really really really doubt that the final build of starfox 2 is anything more than a bug-fixed version of the romdump everybody has played.

Most of the things Cuthbert talks up in that interview are things they added or changed for the re-release, not necessarily missing features from the SNES. And even then he doesn't really say anything definitive beyond "roguelike and a few arenas".

Oyster posted:

This article is brought up a lot, and it really seems like he's talking about an old ROM. There are multiple ROMs out there in different states, and the latest one has "roguelike encounters" and "different arenas", while the early alpha ROM did not have those. I'm happy to be wrong, I'll take more Star Fox 2, but I'm extremely skeptical.

Yeah see that's what I thought.

It doesn't sound like he's talking about the romdump we've played. I don't think its missing much at all, just maybe a couple bugs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ehhh most people haven't played SNES if that's how you wanna go

But most nerds on the internet who have played SNES at one point in their lives have downloaded a ROM at one point in their lives too

Do you guys go to Catholic school or something? Every kid in school I knew downloaded roms like a motherfucker. And nowadays its not even considered :files: by anybody anymore since its so old and obsolete, with the only other way of getting most of those games being wii virtual console, which ITSELF is now also obsolete (but there is wiiu virtual console... also now obsolete... but maybe we'll get switch VC soon!)

Oyster posted:

2 drops to 9 at places on an SNES. Seems like 4 sometimes.

Yeah its definitely a slideshow.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

But most nerds on the internet who have played SNES at one point in their lives have downloaded a ROM at one point in their lives too

no, that's wrong

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

no, that's wrong

I find your evidence compelling

Everybody I know has at least once in their life. Not people who don't play videogames, but literally everybody who does play video games, yes. All of them. I know several people who played Super Mario once upon a time on a laptop but don't own a ps4 or an xbox or anything. But definitely virtually all of the uber nerd gaming goons.

It hasn't been considered :files: for years and people post huge bundles of ROMs on the regular for building into raspberrypi machines and poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The real question is,

what the heck is that shadow in the FF3 box art?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Nintendo would win E3 if next year they announce Star Fox 3 and a Star Fox 2 for Switch release along with Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing.

If they did that the Switch would probably be the best console ever

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you guys go to Catholic school or something? Every kid in school I knew downloaded roms like a motherfucker.

lmao i went to a fairly christian school that wasn't catholic and there was like only one guy in my dorm who didn't at one point at least learn how to get roms. poo poo man it was goddamn everyone, from the guys who surf all day play nintendo all night, to our hardass drum major was like "oh im gonna download link to the past"

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Star Fox 2 makes me realize - what other nearly complete but unreleased titles exist that Nintendo could pull out of their vault (I believe they always had much better prototype/asset archival than poo poo like "throw out sonic's source code" Sega or "throw out chrono cross's original backgrounds" Square) and polish up a bit for an actual release?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

lovely Wizard posted:

Star Fox 2 makes me realize - what other nearly complete but unreleased titles exist that Nintendo could pull out of their vault (I believe they always had much better prototype/asset archival than poo poo like "throw out sonic's source code" Sega or "throw out chrono cross's original backgrounds" Square) and polish up a bit for an actual release?
Mother 64

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

lmao i went to a fairly christian school that wasn't catholic and there was like only one guy in my dorm who didn't at one point at least learn how to get roms. poo poo man it was goddamn everyone, from the guys who surf all day play nintendo all night, to our hardass drum major was like "oh im gonna download link to the past"

lol like for real

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How far along even was that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

They had models and buildings in 3D and the story they created got used for Mother 3, it was maybe early alpha playable, but they definitely didn't have it mostly done like starfox 2. Not something they could just polish up. "early alpha" is probably being generous and it was more like a few test rooms tops.

If they did actually finish it that'd be goddamn amazing, but alas.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Detective No. 27 posted:

64 wasn't very at all. I was typing Mother 3 and then decided to change it into a joke post.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah how the gently caress do you not include ActRaiser.

:same:

whaley posted:

I'm really glad I bought a Raspberry Pie and turned it into a Retro Pie so I don't have to deal with these classic models. What a nightmare. Thank you Retro Pie, wireless controllers, and 32 gigabytes of space

I can't wait to have those lovely articles shoved in my face that say, "Can't find a Snes mini? Here's how you can play the entire library for $50bux!!!"

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Zaphod42 posted:

They had models and buildings in 3D and the story they created got used for Mother 3, it was maybe early alpha playable, but they definitely didn't have it mostly done like starfox 2. Not something they could just polish up. "early alpha" is probably being generous and it was more like a few test rooms tops.

If they did actually finish it that'd be goddamn amazing, but alas.

I'd pay 60 usd for a full 3d version of Mother 3 even at n64 level graphics. Probably bad fiscal decision though.

Also now that I think about it, they could adjust that BS Zelda Satellaview into an unreleased "hd" (more like mario all-stars but with 1 game) version of Zelda 1. They could even port over the unique radio audio style campaigns with some new voice actors. For a Zelda game it'd be relatively low cost for an "unreleased Zelda" experience.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 27, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's like when people say the NES classic is dumb because you can just load up a Rapberry Pi with a bunch of ROMs. What loving world are those people from?

people who even remotely give a poo poo about Star Fox 2 (all five of you) have likely downloaded a ROM given that Star Fox 2 is even in your knowledge base. What loving world are you from?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have we gotten a hot take from Dr. Tim in regards to Nintendo releasing a console with Super Mario World in the year 2017?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Have we gotten a hot take from Dr. Tim in regards to Nintendo releasing a console with Super Mario World in the year 2017?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

snes was bad, give us Stardew Valley and VC Nintendo, thanks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, its not "like" that at all. You don't just get to move the goalposts like that.

You said not many people download roms and you're flat wrong. Millions of people have downloaded ROMs.

I never said the NES classic was dumb just because you can download ROMs. Don't put words in my mouth, and don't try to suddenly shift the argument suddenly because you realize you were being silly.

I did suggest that people should buy a real SNES, but that's different.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

No, its not "like" that at all. You don't just get to move the goalposts like that.

You said not many people download roms and you're flat wrong. Millions of people have downloaded ROMs.

I never said the NES classic was dumb just because you can download ROMs. Don't put words in my mouth, and don't try to suddenly shift the argument suddenly because you realize you were being silly.

I did suggest that people should buy a real SNES, but that's different.

Buying a real SNES is also bad. Those things are old as hell, and busted, and then you gotta buy the games separately, and that's gonna get expensive fast. Just get a SNES classic, or play a rerelease on a modern console, or play a new game that's better

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

lovely Wizard posted:

I think there's a reasonable chance that Nintendo releases the vitality sensor for the Switch at some point. A meditation 'game' would be very popular for the DS Brain Age crowd if costs were low enough.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This could all be avoided if they just released the drat Switch VC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Buying a real SNES is also bad. Those things are old as hell, and busted, and then you gotta buy the games separately, and that's gonna get expensive fast. Just get a SNES classic, or play a rerelease on a modern console, or play a new game that's better

Don't download roms but also don't play on original hardware

Also LOL "that's gonna get expensive fast, just buy a re-release on modern hardware" that's gonna get expensive fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
You: Now we need to create a custom mock-up of Star Fox 2 box art to print out and place on our shelves.

Nintendo: Way ahead of ya mang.

• Locked thread